New RNG Box in Shop!

skyy

2 minutes ago, Korene said:

http://my.mmosite.com/6439332/blog/item/rng_costume_boxes_introduced_to_blade_soul_na_despite_pleas.html

I made an article... and they made a mistake? What? I guess nexon, enmasse, PWE, and the list goes on made a mistake. I will not let this die!

Nice article. Succinct and to the point. Hope it garners more attention. I played SWtOR for years (since early release, and it's always been a backfill game for me (fills in the voids when I'm not interested in other MMO's). They have boxes...but most of the stuff in the boxes (including costumes) are tradeable ON THE MARKET. so you don't have to buy into the RNG crap just to get a costume. you may pay through the teeth with in game currency, but it's available. and it helps other players get in game currency...which cuts down on the goldsellers. Go figure huh.

SWtOR has very few gold seller ads...rarely did. occasional one would pop up, and usually get silenced fast, even after they went f2p. I think that one of the reasons that this happened was that much of the stuff offered on the cash shop was BoE...you could sell on the market. This approach that NCsoft has not only is dubious due to earlier conversations about not going the route of RNG, but also due to the fact that you HAVE to buy the boxes, and run your luck if you want to get the costume, as it's bound to you. 

Which means I will never get it. My luck sucks, always has. And that's OK...I find the costume ugly personally, reminds me of cheap Prostitute getups on old 80's flicks....but it's really the principle. Hopefully they just oopsied, and this is an off-shoot or some odd thing that they weren't planning.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Myleina said:

cThey want everything now now now all fed to them. That's the reason why most MMORPG becomes casual as *cricket*.

And thats what RNG boxes allow, if you look at it this way as well.

Before we had the RNG box, your only way was to buy them on the market, or craft them.

People wanted more... And what does this box enable? people who like to gamble to get what they want "Now Now Now!" 

Eitherway RNG box's shouldn't be aloud in a place where one people of age under 18 play (Oh yes age ratings mean nothing) and two a way to just drain people's wallets, at least have a system installed that rewards you after "X" amount of box's bought.  Rather then praying to the RNG lord himself.

Just now, Temjiu said:

Nice article. Succinct and to the point. Hope it garners more attention. I played SWtOR for years (since early release, and it's always been a backfill game for me (fills in the voids when I'm not interested in other MMO's). They have boxes...but most of the stuff in the boxes (including costumes) are tradeable ON THE MARKET. so you don't have to buy into the RNG crap just to get a costume. you may pay through the teeth with in game currency, but it's available. and it helps other players get in game currency...which cuts down on the goldsellers. Go figure huh.

SWtOR has very few gold seller ads...rarely did. occasional one would pop up, and usually get silenced fast, even after they went f2p. I think that one of the reasons that this happened was that much of the stuff offered on the cash shop was BoE...you could sell on the market. This approach that NCsoft has not only is dubious due to earlier conversations about not going the route of RNG, but also due to the fact that you HAVE to buy the boxes, and run your luck if you want to get the costume, as it's bound to you. 

Which means I will never get it. My luck sucks, always has. And that's OK...I find the costume ugly personally, reminds me of cheap Prostitute getups on old 80's flicks....but it's really the principle. Hopefully they just oopsied, and this is an off-shoot or some odd thing that they weren't planning.

I don't like the costume either haha but I'm not gonna sit here and wait for them to put every nice vanity costume into a rng box. I'll be damned! Not without a fight.

Question for anyone who has purchase costumes from the cash shop, are they tradeable?

If you can't trade the costumes from cash shop or from the RNG box to other characters on the same account, the random investment is no longer worth it. This is why I still enjoy playing Mabinogi and don't mind buying their costumes and gatcha costumes.

1 minute ago, LexyLee said:

And thats what RNG boxes allow, if you look at it this way as well.

Before we had the RNG box, your only was was to buy them on the market, or craft them.

People wanted more... And what does this box enable? people who like to gamble to get what they want "Now Now Now!" 

Eitherway RNG box's shouldn't be aloud in a place where one people of age under 18 play (Oh yes age ratings mean nothing) and two a way to just drain people's wallets, at least have a system installed that rewards you after "X" amount of box's bought.  Rather then praying to the RNG lord himself.

+1

It's kind of strange you want items you can buy for real money and at the same time call the rest of the community lazy. I'd rather play the game to progress than throw money at it.

1 minute ago, Korene said:

I don't like the costume either haha but I'm not gonna sit here and wait for them to put every nice vanity costume into a rng box. I'll be damned! Not without a fight.

Same here there is 1 I want and knowing my luck it'll be in a rng box. With that same luck I'll spend $50+ and not get it :(

5 minutes ago, Enamour said:

I...I might actually be in the super minority here but I really got A LOT of stuff I needed for my main and my up-and-coming Force Master. Now I have the supplies I'll need to take her straight to True Profane save the breakthrough material and fodder (those come eventually). Got 5 of the luck stones though and like 7 lucky jewels. Got a ton of unsealing charms and 19 soul stones and even a brilliant cinderlands key I can save for her. I like the outfit but personally speaking, it would've just been a nice add on. 

Trust me, I get the concern for RNG boxes. I remember back on PWI before anniversary packs were  around, things were really fun and normal but literally as soon as I saw the stuff those packs gave I remember seeing a ton of friends out right quit and feeling pretty down in the slumps myself (even being rather optimistic at the time). Right now though? I really and geniunely feel like I got my money's worth, at least for the amount I bought and needed. Am I for or against RNG boxes? I'm really not sure right now. Maybe putting the outfit for sale and having like some exclusive version (like on Tera how you can buy an outfit or get a dyeable one from a box) in a box or something. Idk.

I do feel however that this is partially a "test-the-waters" kind of thing. The rates didn't feel near as bad as the daily rates for Poh24 feels either. For now, I'll just have to watch how things unfold before making a definite opinion and taking a definitive stance.

Pretty sure, like you probably guessed by now... this is just the start. The rates will eventually go down ...

Oh well, not much we can do. I know eventually rng boxes will flood the marketplace and this will be just another cash grab. 

Now, I've bought several things from the cash shop. I'm a premium member. I was intending to get the 365 day pass for my birthday.

This makes me not so sure that I will be playing in a year. I would have bought that outfit from the cash shop no question. I WANT to give you guys my money, so long as I'll have something to show for it. So I think it's understandable to be upset about an RNG box. Someone on reddit bought 80 dollars worth of these boxes and got absolutely nothing from them. Another person bought two and got the outfit. I'm just not cool with that, I'm not cool with a lack of an insurance policy. At least games like Marvel Heroes give people a token system so it guarantees that eventually they will get the outfit. 

This just makes me concerned for the future of the game. I'm terrified that you'll just lock more and more outfits away with these RNG boxes and I just don't want that. It's not like these outfits are tradeable, it's just plain not fair. It's a sleazy backhanded tactic and it makes me less inclined to spend money on the game, less inclined to continue playing it. All I can do is hope that this isn't a pattern. hell, I would have even bought it if it was a limited outfit. But this is just too much. And it hits me hard because when I got into the game and looked through the wardrobe, it's the one thing I wanted for my Lyn. I was never a fan of the Lyn feet so I was so happy that it had boots and I liked the jacket.

But I'm not willing to gamble for it. 

And I hate to see this cycle repeating itself again. Please don't do this. 

I'll add to the chorus: I'm not willing to pay for an RNG box with real money...but I'll happily shell out for costumes when I know what I'm getting. I'd suggest cheaper (and account-wide) costumes, for sure; they'd likely make more on them, overall, because a lot more people would buy them if they thought they were getting a better value. I'd also like to see a bigger selection of more-modest female costumes (NOT complaining about the hyper-sexualized  ones...just want more options).

But the point is, don't hide the stuff I want behind an RNG barrier. Appearance and utility items (like name changes) are what I expect to spend money on in a F2P game, and I gladly do it to help keep a game I like healthy. Trust your damn players, NCSoft.

Just now, Rey said:

Pretty sure, like you probably guessed by now... this is just the start. The rates will eventually go down ...

Oh well, not much we can do. I know eventually rng boxes will flood the marketplace and this will be just another cash grab. 

Yea I'm kinda on the fence but I'm not getting the same gut feeling I did when other games went p2w in front of my eyes. The saving grace (if you can call it that) is that some times they listen to us. If (and seeing current trends, it might be) the general population makes a loud enough noise about it and give viable alternatives, it *might* be changed. I think it really comes down to how we present the changes we want sometimes (that or I'm deluded haha).

I'd suggest also tweeting them perhaps (not directed at you but to anyone) asking in a civilized manner as to why they added the RNG boxes and if there are plans to remove/change them. I understand both sides of the coin to this issue but all I can do is just hope that things get pushed to a more mutual stance in terms of trade-offs for consumers and the company.

I would even take this. A slightly higher price with it also being in the box is acceptable because at least there's some sort of guarantee. I'm more upset than I should be about this because I don't have a ton of money, I can't waste it on RNG boxes, and it was the one outfit I really wanted. 

11 minutes ago, LexyLee said:

Pretty sure buying nccoins require you to be over 18 or with parental supervision. So they got that covered 

10 minutes ago, Agranite said:

Question for anyone who has purchase costumes from the cash shop, are they tradeable?

If you can't trade the costumes from cash shop or from the RNG box to other characters on the same account, the random investment is no longer worth it. This is why I still enjoy playing Mabinogi and don't mind buying their costumes and gatcha costumes.

No you cant. They all are character bound except founder pack costumes, those are account bound.

They will implement a new item in the cash shop that will let you unlock an item so you can send it to another character of yours. (not tradeable, just account trade, 1 time thingy)

Proof: 

Also the other difference from the normal costumes, cash shop costumes can be dismantled for fabric so you can trade it for the "fusion" costumes

@Enamour - completely agree with you. They did say in a stream they will implement rng boxes if needed...guess is nothing we can really do about it.

Honestly don't care much either, i don't get scared of rng boxes that easily because i usually invest in them too...if i got spare money why not pay for a game i enjoy?

8 minutes ago, Agranite said:

They're not tradeable and they're character bound.

Only ones that you can "trade" by mailing it to your alt under same account on same server are the outfits from the Master Pack, High Noon and Transcendent.

damn someone beat me to it like 2 seconds! xD

As far as that solution they mentioned,

"However we are currently working on adding an item that will allow you to trade certain outfits between your chars"

I hope they don't do this.

1. Have to buy it every time you want to trade/mail the specific outfit to your alt.
  2. Have to buy it for each outfits you have.

I would buy it if it's a one-time buy for the account itself, but not for paying like (let's say just for an assumption for the sake of matter) $5 each time I want to trade a single outfit.

5 minutes ago, Myleina said:

complain, cry.. The line is very thin between the two of them. If you'd read people's post on here, most of them are QQing over it.

Truth is, as I've already said tons of times.  You guys are NEVER happy. You say they complain because they want to see the game go far? That's bullshit right there. Every single change they do, people will complain.

Right now, people complain that the costume is RNG box and wish it was 15-30$ fixed price. But if they had released it at 20-30$ fixed price, people would complain that it's too expensive and want it to be cheaper. Then people will complain about some outfit being just cash shop. Then people will complain about "but i bought it on X character it,s not even account bound". People will complain no matter what. So no, it's not to get the GAME far, it's to get THEMSELVES further. Everyone is being selfish and just want everything to go their easy way. Especially in the NA Market, where the most lazy and stupid consumers are located. They want everything now now now all fed to them. That's the reason why most MMORPG becomes casual as *cricket*.

I'd argue:

1.  People prefer $15 to $30 single char outfits over RNG boxes

2.  People prefer $5-$10 single char or $15 account outfits over $15 to $30 single char outfits.

So, there is no logical fallacy.  (In addition, basic economics tells you that demand curves demonstrate that sales go up as prices go down.  Since there is no per item production cost (i.e. supply curve) it's quite probable that lower prices can result in higher profits due to higher sales.  In addition, people are far more likely to be happy when they feel they are getting a good deal, not to mention that once a player spends, they become invested, and are FAR more likely to keep playing.

That said, RNG boxes are gambling.  PERIOD.  Gambling is addictive.  PERIOD.  Gambling is also largely illegal.  PERIOD.  These Gotcha boxes (and yes, I know that's not the right spelling) should also be illegal.  PERIOD.

Incidentally, from what I've read, the requirements for something to be classified as "illegal gambling" is:

1.  You wager something of value to enter the contest (NCoins are definitely something of value.)

2.  You receive something of value if you win (outfit is something of value, seeing as people would be willing to straight-out pay NCoin for it.)

3.  Winning is determined by chance not skill. (Also obviously true)

These Gotcha's totally fit the definition of illegal gambling.

2 minutes ago, Sheela said:

I would even take this. A slightly higher price with it also being in the box is acceptable because at least there's some sort of guarantee. I'm more upset than I should be about this because I don't have a ton of money, I can't waste it on RNG boxes, and it was the one outfit I really wanted. 

This! It ruffles my feathers they have no concerns for their players at all. Learned in marketing that business EXIST to serve their costumers and society NOT to produce products and then push for it to be sold! 

So, let me get this straight: You have to buy a RNG box to maybe get that specific costume, then you have to buy another item to make it account bound, and should your inventory be already on the full side, you also need to be a premium member to access the wardrobe in order to store it?

...ok, people still defending that game's cash shop don't deserve better, sorry.

6 minutes ago, Rey said:

Pretty sure buying nccoins require you to be over 18 or with parental supervision. So they got that covered 

No you cant. They all are character bound except founder pack costumes, those are account bound.

They will implement a new item in the cash shop that will let you unlock an item so you can send it to another character of yours. (not tradeable, just account trade, 1 time thingy)

Proof: 

Also the other difference from the normal costumes, cash shop costumes can be dismantled for fabric so you can trade it for the "fusion" costumes

@Enamour - completely agree with you. They did say in a stream they will implement rng boxes if needed...guess is nothing we can really do about it.

Honestly don't care much either, i don't get scared of rng boxes that easily because i usually invest in them too...if i got spare money why not pay for a game i enjoy?

Thanks, than I will be sure to avoid them. I already did not like the current available costumes anyway.

Do NOT buy them, no matter how badly you want that outfit refuse to buy them, just don't! if you do not buy them, that will show up on sales and they will respond by changing things it is that simple. They wont listen to your gripes and complaints BUT trust me they WILL listen to your wallet when you close it and refuse to purchase something. Enough people do that and things change i've seen it happen in other games. But more you fanboy and just " buy " it because you love the game worse it will get. 

I'm not sure how this type of thing is legal. I've seen the same arguments in Tera, but I don't understand the laws well enough to know how they get away with it. Something to do with the fact that it's not real money? I hope we eventually see some sort of legal crackdown on this type of gambling.

5 minutes ago, Lifesong said:

I'm not sure how this type of thing is legal. I've seen the same arguments in Tera, but I don't understand the laws well enough to know how they get away with it. Something to do with the fact that it's not real money? I hope we eventually see some sort of legal crackdown on this type of gambling.

I think the law doesn't equate invested time and virtual currency to actual money, if it did, many MMO's would have to change quite a few things for their games to not be "illegal", essentially...

1 minute ago, WarBaby2 said:

I think the law doesn't equate invested time and virtual currency to actual money, if it did, many MMO's would have to change quite a few things for their games to not be "illegal", essentially...

Right, I guess that makes a degree of sense to me. If that is in fact how it works I think that needs to change. If you can buy currency in a game with real money and gamble that in game currency you are in fact gambling real money. That is how it should be looked at imo.

Archived