Seeking 1v1 Arena Destroyer Advice

OGSinister

Okay, so I'm not going to bother complaining about balancing issues or etc.; I get it, Destroyers are an effortless class and, therefore, should always win, yadda-yadda-yadda. I'm just seeking some advice because of the following issue: I do fine in Tag Match and Open World PvP (here comes the red spin meme); however, in 1v1 Match, I just can't seem to make it out evenly. It's always the same outcome: the opponent is very new and doesn't understand how to escape the combo, or I can't catch them in anything. I seem to have this problem with both Summoners and Assassins, whom I've heard I should always be winning against (people sure love to gloat).

The biggest issue I seem to be noticing is the lack of crowd-control removal that Destroyers have and/or the abundance of removal that other classes have. I'll catch a person in a combo every now and again even if they're good, but I'm pretty sure it's luck: I have come to terms with the fact that I have a long way to go before "gosu." Still, I just don't seem to grasp something that other people are grasping; I can't manage a 1v1 Match where everyone just kites to win, or has an ability to get out of every potential control. I'm not going to sit here and claim it's not fair, but I am going to ask what I should be doing in these situations.

Extra info:

My Destroyer's build is pretty cookie cutter; I run the popular "no secret technique" build.

If I seem salty, that's most likely because winning gracefully is a lost tradition...; but, you know, my fault for not blocking out the toxic.

(Another reason for salt is probably because I ez-rolled face to 1799 and dropped back down to 1686 because the game actually became normal mode.)

(Also, I'm pretty sure I'm terrible.)

Anyway, thank you all in advance for any advice you'd like to give.

Please don't bother posting if you're just going to complain about my class: I took the noble route of not pointing out any single class or blaming it on imbalance; I just hope you'll have the courtesy to do the same.

- OG Sinistra

First thing you need to learn is the escape animations for every class, so you know when to try CC-ing your opponent. After that, you have to keep your own escape for when it's needed. Some classes will bait you A LOT into using it. You need to learn which damage is worth "eating".

Destroyers have TAB for escape, then E (Presistence) which takes you out of stun/daze and depending of spec, you can be invulnerable for 5 hits / 5 seconds.

Another thing you need to learn is animation canceling. You need to do it properly since you won't get many chances and if you waste the opportunity cause you mess it up, it will cost you.

If people kite you around, just play passively and wait for the opportunity. For example, summoners will kite you around a lot. You go in, do some damage, go out, wait for cooldowns OR if you catch them off guard, you can just go ham.

Also, specs matter much, you can't have a "cookie cutter" build. You need to change it against every class. There are guides out there, see which one works best for you or just make your own.

Other than that, you need a lot of practice.

P.S. This is from my experience so far, they might not be the best advises. If someone can explain better, please do so.

I'm still a complete newb, but I've won nearly all duels (only done around 30 though).

If people are trying to lock you down, hurricane spin is your friend. Not only does it reduce damage by a lot (increases defence by 400%, can block) If the first hit hits, it stuns your enemy briefly and you can try using other stun skills to extend it and turn it around quickly. And If you've lost health you can use your stone shield to regenerate some health while stunning your enemy. And searing strike can resist enemy attacks and knock them up in the sky for you to use piledriver or something to deal damage. Ember stomp leaves aoe dealing minor damage, but if you knock your enemy down and lock them down in it, overtime it deals pretty decent damage. And most people seem to avoid it and mess them up a bit.

2 hours ago, Chewma said:

Idk why I get bad destroyers on my team then...most of them just spin in circles no where near the other team.

Destroyers "spam spin" hurricane is not used for damage. So spinning to avoid a charging maneuver or bolt is a legit tactic.   

7 hours ago, Brainy said:

Also, specs matter much, you can't have a "cookie cutter" build. You need to change it against every class. There are guides out there, see which one works best for you or just make your own.

Very important advice here. Cookie cutter build is hurting you just as much as not knowing your enemy's escapes. You can follow other people's advice on what skills to use in each matchup to start with, but ultimately you'll need to find what works best for you in each matchup. 

Check out Endah's thread in the Destroyer section on bladeandsouldojo. It has tons of advice on skill use and matchups. 

Archived