Why is this game getting bad reviews

zullee

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Neclord said:

Uhmm, what lol.

Show me these "many" other MMO's pls.

I think perfect world had better graphics, been a while since I played, and I believe that is an older game then this one. Less loading screens too, really whats up with the loading screens.

4 minutes ago, animekitty said:

I think perfect world had better graphics, been a while since I played, and I believe that is an older game then this one. Less loading screens too, really whats up with the loading screens.

pls , tell me u are drunk ò.ò

Don't think many of the reviewers have touched an MMO for a while.  The things they're calling BnS out for are things that have been MMO tropes since the beginning of the genre itself.  BnS actually does have stand-out gameplay, and as for the story/world/quests, I can't really think of an MMO that's doing it better.  

Oh well, MMO's tend to not review well in general and really haven't changed/improved much over the years.  I assume it's a genre limitation but maybe there is some inherent laziness behind it. 

The graphics are a bit outdated in spots.  Some of the texture resolutions used for things like rocks and cliff faces look like something pulled from vanilla WoW in 2004.  It's a bit jarring when you're in this awesome and highly detailed outfit standing next to a rock with graphics from over a decade ago.

I don't think it would take that much effort to make a few new texture files to replace the older ones currently used in the game.  Look at a game like Skyrim.  Within a few months, people made HD texture mods to replace the ones that come with the game.

The thing is, which is going to make NCSoft more money?  Updating the graphical fidelity of a rock or a new ultra chest jiggle Gon outfit with sparkly effects for $12?

Also, there was something else I was going to say but I forgot

Just now, Kutsuu said:

IMO that PC Gamer review was about right. I'm playing this game strictly for the great PVP, and they recognized the same thing. The MMO side of things just isn't anything breathtaking. 

Same here, its just the same shitt MMORPG mechanics we have been dealing with since forever, nothing new, nothing mindblowing, the combat and the pvp is the thing that MAYBE is worth time investing and only if they are spot on on balance, they already got right the equalization (haha *cricket* you p2w scrubs i will love your *cricket*ing tears), i hope they balance the game correctly and dont go full tera (full ret***) and start implementing gender locked classes OP as *cricket* every few months.

People really need to stop white knighting the localization with assumptions and wrong information. 

The staff barely did any Korean to English translation.

It is right here, on these forums in the Archives, what you may have seen referred to as 'EN1.' The original script was given to the team already in English from the Korean devs. 

Second misconception; that there was any need to match ESRB ratings. There is nothing ESRB related in taking the Mayor's sentence 'I am down here investigating the Blackram pirates' and localizing it to 'I was down in this abandoned well looking for water!'  Don't presume reasons for localization.

Third misconception; that somehow one blue sidequest was the only thing changed. A lot of sidequests were changed. The main story was changed in many, many places. An idiom Jinsoyun uses about not preventing the fruition of potential becomes a completely nonsensical statement about the 'warrior being a vessel.' The story has problems with being coherent of itself, and it has problems being coherent with the rest of the story line that is out in other regions. Dragon Pulses can warp reality, they are not just things used for windwalking. Remember going through the door of the Sealed Palace in the Necropolis? You do that, all the time in lvl 50 content. Where is that explained?

The original story with the emphasis on 'vessels' was retconned years ago. There is no reason why there should be references to an outdated story in our version, that is simply not going to make any sense at all later.

Fourth misconception that applies to everything; that NCSoft gave themselves enough time to do basic things like properly edit dialog audio. Or have a coherent Martial Tome. They had and always will have the option to ask the Korean devs for fixes. Deciding not to until after a boat load of complains is on NCSoft.

Stop defending them already. 

14 hours ago, enem said:

they're giving it average review scores, which in all fairness is pretty accurate. aside from the combat there's not a lot that this game is doing that isn't being done better elsewhere. the quests are super repetitive, dungeons and their resulting boss fights are not particularly interesting, and the graphics are not up to the same level as many other mmo's. 

Is it still enjoyable? sure. 

At the end of the day don't let reviews convince you that it's a bad game if you're getting enjoyment out of it. 

what is good movie to your friend doesn't mean it's good and interesting good movie for you too!
If I may ask guy who posted this topic (not the guy who I quoted with good answer). why do u even care about reviews? they are pointless. any types of reviews.

I only think that this game is lacking a bit of group pvp.. like it's playing FPS where instead of gun u have sword (there's this game like this very old one I can look it up). Hard to focus target once in group.

Yeah sure people complain, but there's a reason on the complaints. There's issues that need to be taken care of like the master loot  and the bot/destroyer problems, etc. People come here to have their say and hope they're heard and I wonder if any of us are heard.. Do we need to get on Twitter to ask if shits getting dealt with? Sadly all I see is costumes this and streamers that on Twitter. Go look. I couldn't give two cricket's butt cheeks who's streaming what at the moment. Fix the things that matter, cause it's these things that will keep people playing the game. I've waited for this game to come out here finally, that's how much this game means to me. To others. But if they can't or refuse to change some stuff because they find it's not important enough, then this game will be another Aion.  Aion should have been a learning lesson for them on what not to do and to listen the forums and their fan base. Look guys, I'm not threatening to leave the game just yet. I'm giving them time to see what they can do and fix. But if they refuse to fix some things that are pretty important to the well being of this game, then there's other games I can play. I'm not going to pay for bullshit. Or waste the time.

Forums can be toxic, and others see it as people whining about stuff. This time tho, I think it's legit players asking legit questions. And they have the right too as well. Especially if they paid money for this game.  

14 hours ago, jwhennies said:
  • Bots
  • The Disconnecting
  • People getting banned for buying ncoin
  • Support takes a long time to get back to you
  • also support not reading the tickets just copy paste.
  • there are no devs here talking to us telling us whats going on
  • outfits are not account bound
  • Having to buy $20 of ncoin to get 1 month of premium 
  • The bad translations and voice acting 
  • Cross server dungeons leader can just take all the loot (ncsoft said this was ok)
  • marketplace always crashing
  • we are missing out on content
  • server stability (mostly EU)
  • "bugs" that are costing people Real cash

add this to your list RNG Cash Shop boxes

Good: 
1. "Moe", Stilysh, good effects and gorgeous graphics 
2. Excelent combat system, plus in pvp 
3. Nice history, cute pace with good drama 
4. Jump, Float and wall running
5. Decent Cross server options
6. Nice music and sound effects
7. Soulshield system that let use different clothing and not generic armors no matter level.
8. I like the voices.

Bad:
1. Queues
2. Crashing with razer chroma SDK and others
3. Repetitive and boring subquest (many mmos are the same, but is not excuse)
4. Poor design in dungeons (mostly caves with a generic boss or subbosses)
5. Few tools for work in teams with others player in low levels (other mmos promote cooperative play, help others, even the main quest in creative ways that reward teamwork more than only share grindy objetives for finish faster)
6. Poor craft system (just timers)
7. Too many invisibles walls or cellings ( there are creatives ways in design for limit maps)
8. No events for socialize players for now... (the roulete don't count)

hmmm  7.5 

16 hours ago, jwhennies said:
  • Bots
  • The Disconnecting
  • People getting banned for buying ncoin
  • Support takes a long time to get back to you
  • also support not reading the tickets just copy paste.
  • there are no devs here talking to us telling us whats going on
  • outfits are not account bound
  • Having to buy $20 of ncoin to get 1 month of premium 
  • The bad translations and voice acting 
  • Cross server dungeons leader can just take all the loot (ncsoft said this was ok)
  • marketplace always crashing
  • we are missing out on content
  • server stability (mostly EU)
  • "bugs" that are costing people Real cash

48 hours and still no response to my ticket

17 hours ago, zullee said:

i was checking out some reviews from pc gamer and game spot and they are giving it bad reviews. i don't think they are realizing its an older game just getting released in the west. They say graphics are outdated and quest get repetitive (what mmo quest don't get repetitive) ect. i for one have having a good time playing and love the game.

Just wanted to see what you guys and gals think about the reviews.

http://www.pcgamer.com/blade-and-soul-review/

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/blade-and-soul-review/1900-6416349/

p.s sorry if my spelling is not so good im sending this on my phone and i got fat fingers :)

They are claiming that it's not innovative enough outside of the combat but not taking into consideration that this game is not new at all and only new to the West. They also dock points for stating that the game's questing is basically the same as every other MMO (nothing wrong with that because it's a tried and true system) instead of just knowing that's how almost every single MMO is. Basically because it does everything for the PvE side of things that WoW/EQ/FFXI/FFXIV/SWTOR and every other mmo does, this is a bad game to them XD. Thank goodness intelligent people understand that a review is very opinionated and if someone wants to know what the game is really like they can always try it out since it's free or watch gameplay videos of it. Although PC Gamer isn't on my list of very trusted review sites the same way IGN/Gamespot aren't on my list.  

Just now, Skarwind said:

They are claiming that it's not innovative enough outside of the combat but not taking into consideration that this game is not new at all and only new to the West. They also dock points for stating that the game's questing is basically the same as every other MMO (nothing wrong with that because it's a tried and true system) instead of just knowing that's how almost every single MMO is. Basically because it does everything for the PvE side of things that WoW/EQ/FFXI/FFXIV/SWTOR and every other mmo does this is a bad game XD. Thank goodness intelligent people understand that a review is very opinionated and if someone wants to know what the game is really like they can always try it out since it's free or watch gameplay videos of it. Although PC Gamer isn't on my list of very trusted review sites the same way IGN/Gamespot aren't on my list.  

Also: The MMO market is extremely overstated, and almost no new game in the genre will get high praises anymore these days, even if they do some things differently...

1 minute ago, WarBaby2 said:

Also: The MMO market is extremely overstated, and almost no new game in the genre will get high praises anymore these days, even if they do some things differently...

Very true. I for one really like this game. I have a lot to learn when it comes to PvP and my win/loss ratio is pretty bad atm but i'm still having fun and I don't expect to be a PvP pro for a very long time. I think that will turn off a lot of players who want to get into the esport scene since it's not like other MMOs where you can pick it up pretty quickly. I just hate when reviewers dock points for things that they praised in other games like quick level grinding vs tedious (WoW) leveling where you have to basically live on Coffee/Energy drinks and forsake work and sleep to hit the level cap within a day or so. 

10 hours ago, animekitty said:

Nah, Blade and Soul has much better graphics in my opinion compared PWI after playing it for 2 or so years. 

too bad the review forget to mention how greedy they are

- forced to pay to use mail

- 30euros+ to unlock a part of the inv for one character

- 15+euros outfit ( LOL )

- grind farmfest at lvl 45

etc...

I mean, this game have a gold gameplay, but its getting ruined by NCSOFT an somes very bad setting. That's really too bad.

The game is actually not even bad, the graphics are far better than most MMO's. also, it's mostly because they don't take the time to actually do the PVE/PVP content properly, and do it half-assed like most of their reviews so they don't get the whole picture, BnS is by far one of the best MMOs released in the west. 

14 minutes ago, wootwoots said:

too bad the review forget to mention how greedy they are

- forced to pay to use mail

- 30euros+ to unlock a part of the inv for one character

- 15+euros outfit ( LOL )

- grind farmfest at lvl 45

etc...

I mean, this game have a gold gameplay, but its getting ruined by NCSOFT an somes very bad setting. That's really too bad.

That's greedy? Aside from the mail thing if its true, everything looks perfect to throw in the store for people who like the game and want to support it. Would you rather them throw a weapon that can 1 shot people, because that's the only thing left they can really throw in, congrats your complaining made the game pay 2 win. Inventory isn't an issue once you figure out what to do with your items, outfits are cosmetics you don't have to buy them. Grinding? Yes the party system needs an update but you are complaining about grinding in an mmo?

Archived