Forums

Why is this game getting bad reviews

zullee

On 2/3/2016 at 5:02 PM, wootwoots said:

So like the outfit price which are the highest in the mmo world ( and not account bound ) is ok ?

Just wanted to touch on this. Go look at the tera store, every single outfit you go and outright buy there is $10-$15 AND they are also CHARACTER bound, just like this game. Given most of the $15 costumes usually come with a matching headpiece over there at least, so i guess you could argue "you get more out of it" And that's just for the non-dyeable version. Want the dyeable version? Go spend $60-$100 on RNG boxes and probably see at most 1 drop. Yes i know, "we just got an RNG box and blahblahblah" but at least it wont be for EVERY costume in this game. Maybe i'm still just salty from my days in tera.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Remlnx said:

I cant have a shared warehouse/bank between characters.

I cant even send mail in game if i dont charge coins on the account (i did)
The crafting system is the worse i ever seen in over 20 years of mmos career. Basically is very messy and totally unfriendly.

Crafting is awful. Without a shared warehouse you are supposed to mail back and forth stuff from main to alt (impossible if you don't pay), creating a second account doesn't help unless you pay to unlock mail there too, else you'd have to use "trade" function and both chars have to be in the same place.

Long crafting times on basic items is annoying as hell.

20 minutes ago, Remlnx said:

The english localization is bad, and i mean really bad. 

The skill book (K) is a mess.

I seriously think that translation was made using google translate :)

Anyway, as others have already said 80+€ just to unlock bank/inventory slots in a single character is absurd, like forcing people to pay to be able to mail alts.

I understand that database space needs to be paid, but hell that's awfully overpriced. I pay 7€/year for 1GB, I'm not dumb enough to spend 80€ for some KB.

27 minutes ago, Remlnx said:

Yep, NCWest is the culprit, game on the other world regions is just fine

Played China servers from Europe with 250 ping but stable and no lag. Now we have Eu server and it lag like hell. At least Wild Spring does. To make it worse i have light fibre 200 mb/s connection. Playing other mmo like LoL and Wildstar without lags and they still trying to tell me problem is on my side. Well that might be true. Tried to play after all.

6 minutes ago, NyanPowa said:

RNG boxes = bad reviews

enough with the RNG boxes .. 

I agree with the idea that they are a cheesy way to make money BUT that isn't the reviewers reasoning and it is time to give it a rest OR complain about them in the RNG box thread.

Reviewers and many metrics go by what is popular and honestly THIS game is not going to mass market popular I don't think and most players are casuals who want the REALLY easy 1 2 3 1 4 games like that other one out there .. they certainly don't want to have to move around all the time and consider what they need to do

plus i think a lot of these reviewers only give decent reviews IF they get kick backs .. most of them are such mealy mouthes weasels that you can't trust what they say

6 minutes ago, Kensho1996 said:

enough with the RNG boxes .. 

I agree with the idea that they are a cheesy way to make money BUT that isn't the reviewers reasoning and it is time to give it a rest OR complain about them in the RNG box thread.

Reviewers and many metrics go by what is popular and honestly THIS game is not going to mass market popular I don't think and most players are casuals who want the REALLY easy 1 2 3 1 4 games like that other one out there .. they certainly don't want to have to move around all the time and consider what they need to do

plus i think a lot of these reviewers only give decent reviews IF they get kick backs .. most of them are such mealy mouthes weasels that you can't trust what they say

Ill have enough when they deliver my item with an apology. find one mmorpg with rng boxes that has a good review, you cant!

rng boxes = bad reviews is all you can trust.

Seriously am i wrong in assuming that a lot of people here just want to play this game without ever spending a dime on it?

F2p doesn't mean the company does not have to make money somehow.

No Money = No Games.

I agree that some of the prices are a bit steep but the fact that you have to buy some Ncoin to unlock mailing which also serves as a security measure is not a problem for me.

I'm loving this game a lot simply because of the combat system, I wanna try every class and whatnot.

But that's all it has. The quest system is bad, the stories are boring/generic for the most part, the dubbing is bad, the translation is messed up all over the place, the forum requires you to log in 6 damn times in a row before letting you log in, and it never remembers you (rather it randomly drops you), cross-server dungeon/arena constantly disconnect me while the normal server never does, faction balance is broken on many servers, loot stealing system.

The only thing I don't blame them for are bots, because most mmorpg are stuck with that anyway.

3 hours ago, tet666 said:

Seriously am i wrong in assuming that a lot of people here just want to play this game without ever spending a dime on it?

No Money = No Games.

I agree that some of the prices are a bit steep but the fact that you have to buy some Ncoin to unlock mailing which also serves as a security measure is not a problem for me.

While I understand that f2p doesn't mean that the company doesn't need money, I see no reason at all to invest in this game or support it. 

Premium doesn't give char slots nor bank/inventory slots, RNG boxes were put into game even tho they promised to not bring them, purchasing costumes means cluttering the small space you are given to store items,  pouches, as I said, are overpriced (80€/char to unlock all slots is a joke) and there's no shared bank.

Also, mail to alt was supposedly available without buying ncoins, but it's bugged and there's no ETA on fixing it.

1 hour ago, YukiNagato said:

While I understand that f2p doesn't mean that the company doesn't need money, I see no reason at all to invest in this game or support it. 

Premium doesn't give char slots nor bank/inventory slots, RNG boxes were put into game even tho they promised to not bring them, purchasing costumes means cluttering the small space you are given to store items,  pouches, as I said, are overpriced (80€/char to unlock all slots is a joke) and there's no shared bank.

Also, mail to alt was supposedly available without buying ncoins, but it's bugged and there's no ETA on fixing it.

That's your choice no one forces you to buy anything and i agree with what you said about premium and the rest but if no one pays for it they are forced to change it it's that simple.

MMORPGs are quite difficult to review because of the depth of each of the features. I had to cut mine down quite a lot and left out the crafting system from the review completely but I did suggest leaving that till end game because of inventory space. I was blunt but fair and ignored other reviews as it was just a straight up experience review from my point of view.

The game is just above average, but it is fun so I will keep playing and have yet to spend any money on it yet. It's quite casual for an mmo, so I can understand why it's so popular, besides the arena pvp which is quite fun to watch.

The main thing I like about this game is that you don't have to focus on it all the time, I can just jump in and have fun for an hour and I'm good with that. Also, I think that's what might actually make it last.

On 2/3/2016 at 9:01 PM, zullee said:

i was checking out some reviews from pc gamer and game spot and they are giving it bad reviews. i don't think they are realizing its an older game just getting released in the west. They say graphics are outdated and quest get repetitive (what mmo quest don't get repetitive) ect. i for one have having a good time playing and love the game.

Just wanted to see what you guys and gals think about the reviews.

http://www.pcgamer.com/blade-and-soul-review/

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/blade-and-soul-review/1900-6416349/

p.s sorry if my spelling is not so good im sending this on my phone and i got fat fingers :)

Putting aside the fact that Blade & Soul is hobbled by age and pretty *cricket*ing anti-consumer business practices... Blade & Soul was probably never an 8.0+ game to start.

That said, gaming outlets usually grade games differently than players.  That's why you almost never see perfect 10.0 scores from gaming outlets, while players will often hand them out like candy.  While most gamers will simply rate a game based on personal enjoyment and value, gaming outlets often have different metrics, and they hold themselves to a higher standard.  Many will grade based on innovation, lasting impact on the gaming industry, etc.  Shane Satterfield of gametrailers.com personally stated he would never give any game that did not innovate higher than a 8.9, which iirc, caused controversy when he gave Uncharted 2 like an 8.9 or 9.0 or something, despite the game generally being scored much higher by other gaming outlets and eventually going on to win many Game of the Year awards.  Don't quote me on that, I don't remember so well anymore.

EASY!

1. Toxic community (less than the 50% but still a high amount)
2. Elitist and egotistical high level players (If they dont call you noob they call you poor and even peasant)
3. Shitty, greedy and GRIND fest RNG
4. Queue at overpopulated (old/main) servers
5. You need to pay to start using mail and wardrobe is a money grab

And many other reasons.

1 hour ago, stormskunk said:

The game lacks content,almost no items,in 15-20 hours you already playing engame .No healer or tank class,you can solo almost everything..Combat is good,but sadly thats all the game have to offer.Going back to older mmorpg NCSOFT failed on this one.

If you're missing a healer or tank class, then you're also missing the entire point of this game. I agree that PvE is a bit lacking but considering the game is primarily focused on arena PvP, that's to be expected. 

On 08/02/2016 at 4:18 PM, tet666 said:

No Money = No Games.

Besides people complaining about the mail, I'd say it's the exact opposite, people who want to never spend a dime won't care how much things are or what you actually get for your money, it's the people that are willing to put some cash forward who are being put off from doing so by certain things that are complaining.

That aside I can see this game getting average to bad reviews, only the combat is really well done and despite not having "fancy graphics card murdering particle effects" it's so poorly optimized that plenty of players are having the issue that even when they have the settings rammed all the way down so it looks far worse than other games that play perfectly on their computers it still runs like *cricket*.

We also have things like being vulnerable whilst loading and the now infamous partly loot issues to contend with too.

It doesn't help that the progression system is made really grindy and rng based with the non-tradeable rng box breakthrough items to try to sell keys, but I give that one a pass because it is an F2P game so I kind of expected something like that somewhere, it's a shame it also makes every non-breakthrough item weapon drop an utterly underwhelming experience too though.

NCSoft being, well, NCSoft with their running of the game itself mustn't help things either, I mean the queues shouldn't have been as bad as they were, the limit on the amount of players who could create characters in a server seemed to have been made much higher than what they can handle simply to hawk a lackluster premium subscription that is otherwise worth less than pretty much anything else in the Hongmoon store for what you get out of it, outfits you buy in the Hongmoon store are character bound rather than account bound to try and hawk multiples to people, items being character bound rather than account bound make extra character slots a waste of money, there's no server change function,ect.

Tldr game is a freaking mess besides the combat and the reviews reflect it.

• 2 weeks later...

Another reason bad game is bad:

Worst economy ever, and even worst trade post ever.

6+ friggen gold and another 2.5g to evolve your weapon... when you literally can't sell anything because you're limited to 10 items per day? And no warning that you might as well trash any item under 50s because it's not worth a tp slot?

Are you *cricket*ing serious? Uninstall life, ncsoft.

On 2/3/2016 at 6:25 AM, jwhennies said:
  • Bots
  • The Disconnecting
  • People getting banned for buying ncoin
  • Support takes a long time to get back to you
  • also support not reading the tickets just copy paste.
  • there are no devs here talking to us telling us whats going on
  • outfits are not account bound
  • Having to buy $20 of ncoin to get 1 month of premium 
  • The bad translations and voice acting 
  • Cross server dungeons leader can just take all the loot (ncsoft said this was ok)
  • marketplace always crashing
  • we are missing out on content
  • server stability (mostly EU)
  • "bugs" that are costing people Real cash

Also add bad optimization

This game offers nothing new. It's a boring grindfest and currently has next to nothing for end-game content. What little end-game content it does have, you're expected to repeat over and over until you finally wake up and realize this game is effing boring as hell. 

IMO, all the game has to brag about is the combat system which is essentially a fighting game in an mmo, which means PVP is pretty much the selling factor for the game. (of course the open world aspect of it is in a rather poor shape) Aside from that, there's the artstyle which is rather subjective. Other than that, the game is rather dated. 

On 12.02.2016 at 1:01 AM, AshleyZX said:

1. Toxic community (less than the 50% but still a high amount)
2. Elitist and egotistical high level players (If they dont call you noob they call you poor and even peasant)

This.

I just had a lvl 45 player in our team. We were doing Tomb of the Exiles. He was the only one lvl 45. He called us leechers after rushing to the last boss, when two players were still bidding items from the previous boss and me and another player were killing the mini-boss in the secret room. He died once to that boss and when he finally killed it, he insulted us and said that if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have finished the dungeon. Hilarious. He thinks that if he has Gold rank then he is some kind of god or what? XD I thanked him for making my life easier and left the party.

My biggest issue with BnS and what will eventually make me quit is the RNG system.  Spinning the Deva wheel 46 times to get an item I HAVE to have to improve my weapon pretty much kills the fun of the Deva wheel.  Spinning Pinchy's wheel over 30 times and still not getting a costume drop kills the fun of hunting Pinchy.  Having to repeat the Blackram Narrows 23 times before finally getting the weapon chest to give me the class weapon I again, MUST have to improve my weapon, kills the enjoyment of that dungeon.  Lord forbid you decide to get the soul shields from the place. 

The next thing that will eventually drive me off is the cost of everything in the store, and the complete lack of value of the loot you pickup.  It forces you to go to the marketplace, but unless your willing to play the marketplace, you'll never be able to afford anything in the marketplace, so you better come to the game with a good understanding of economics and a bit of NC coin to trade (which you best hope the trade ctrl+c is working that day, because if its not working correctly you'll find yourself banned and waiting 3-4 days for a dev to get back to you to unban your account, which they will do because you were using THEIR damn system in the first place, ahem) to get a stake so you have a chance of making money.  OR have a character or two who simply makes the incidentals you need (Keys, potions, unsealing charms, etc).

The next thing : keys AND unsealing charms.  Ok.  I get having to unlock something.  Its kind of shifty nitpicky BS in my opinion, but I get it.  I do not understand why I should have to unlock something so that I can unlock it again with some other expendable resource.

Next : Crafting.  Almost completely useless.   To make keys or charms you need special ingredients from other crafts.  To make those ingredients in said other crafts, you need to make butloads of crap (at an hour or so PER item) AND be fortunate enough to get a recipe in some cases.   That and the way it takes a half hour to whip up say, 2 potions.  Which if you happen to lag, get a bad pull, make a mistake, have an idiot in your group that drags you extra agro, etc.. can be gone in a single fight.  Way too much effort for waaaay too little reward.  I though DAoC crafting was a pain, but at least back then you actually got a decent product for your time.

Now, all that being said I do like PLAYING the game.  I like the way combat moves, I think the aid system is pretty neat, and I enjoy running around the various areas looking at stuff.  The story is meh, but its not as bad as some I've seen, and I really do like the martial arts flavor of the whole thing.  I could do without every NPC you run into talking to you like your an idiot or acting like an idiot themselves, but thats more of a general gripe than a real issue with the game.

I do however think the forced grind for stuff you have to have is going to drive people off.  Having to do dungeons or gather 'essences' from boss-type mobs to have a chance to get a chance at getting what you have to have to advance your gear (unless you want to spend money and buy a key, which a great number of people wont) or to get that shiny piece of fluff (Deva or Pinchy costume for example) is going to drive players off.

Archived