Wind Walking and the Lack of Stamina

LordLokai

So to start with i'd like to say i actually DO like the ability, and i find as an alternative to a mount it fits the game, and setting very well. However in that respect it also Fails to do exactly what its meant to do, and that is get you from point A to B in a reasonable amount of time. The real problem with this ability is that it drains your stamina so fast and takes 2-3x's as long to refill it as it does to drain it. You end up spending ALOT of down time auto running or just hoofing it at a very very slow speed. This is VERY much evident when you get your wall run ability, and first try to wall run up a tree to reach a quest giver. You quickly realize by the time you reach the top you have zero stamina, it takes only about 2-3 seconds to deplete your stamina bar, and i'd guess about 5-10 to refill it.

So in terms of traveling around the world, games like DCUO kind of did this better, in that its a flat ability that you can use often. The easiest solution of course is to boost our stamina bar much much higher or reduce that drain. While i doubt we shall ever see that, to any real effect i do have to wonder how many players out there agree with me, and would like to see the stamina bar extended and the drain reduced to a large degree. After all we cant windwalk in combat, so it doesn't really effect battle at all this is a pure get from point A to B skill and other MMO's do it i feel far better allbeit much less flashy. 

Edit: I tested this just noe

25 seconds of sprint

55-60 seconds to refill it

around 35 seconds of downtime between bursts of speed.

*shrug*

My take, in all these posts, is that there should just be unlimited stamina.  (at least so far as straight line travel.  I don't have access to wall walking yet, so maybe they need to limit how much you can wall walk to avoid people running out of the modeled environment.)

If we argue windwalk is the same as most other games mounts/vehicles, most other games mount/vehicles have no limit to how long they last/far they go.  And heck, most other MMO's I can think of with a sprint functionality it's pretty much unlimited.  (Heck, in some it's a toggle that you turn on when you get it, and never bother touching again unless you need finer control of your movement.)

59 minutes ago, Absinthesize said:

i do wish stamina lasted way longer or was just unlimited..im not sure what gameplay feature it adds by having the limitation.

there are combat mechanics involved with stamina. for example, if you're sprinting as a blade dancer, your LMB ability becomes a dash that goes through the opponent and stuns if you teleport to their backside.

2 minutes ago, KamiKaze425 said:

there are combat mechanics involved with stamina. for example, if you're sprinting as a blade dancer, your LMB ability becomes a dash that goes through the opponent and stuns if you teleport to their backside.

Which would be almost entirely unaffected by infinite stamina, as it would still only work as an opener, since you can't sprint once you've entered combat.

3 minutes ago, KamiKaze425 said:

NO WAY! I need to test this out like right now!

1 minute ago, GnatB said:

Which would be almost entirely unaffected by infinite stamina, as it would still only work as an opener, since you can't sprint once you've entered combat.

It PvP open world it does. Especially if there's multiple people fighting. Say you're an assassin, and you stealth out while your allies fight. get your stamina use back up. run way the hell out somewhere and go behind the enemies. it takes a lot longer if you don't have the stamina. 

i mean, i admit, unlimited stamina would be great. but it might make open world pvp a little more annoying (especially if you're trying to hunt people down, haha)

1 hour ago, LordLokai said:

Edit: I tested this just noe

25 seconds of sprint

55-60 seconds to refill it

around 35 seconds of downtime between bursts of speed.

Was pretty positive the 12000, 15000, and 20000 was basically just milliseconds of time whenever we activate the ability, so 20000 is 20 seconds worth of stamina while in use. Granted it takes longer to recharge and I don't know what that time is. Do you already have the 20000 stamina upgrade?

7 minutes ago, Mizer said:

Was pretty positive the 12000, 15000, and 20000 was basically just milliseconds of time whenever we activate the ability, so 20000 is 20 seconds worth of stamina while in use. Granted it takes longer to recharge and I don't know what that time is. Do you already have the 20000 stamina upgrade?

I thought the same thing, haha. Was pretty sure I had 15 seconds of running with 15000. I just wasn't 100% sure when I read this post.

23 minutes ago, KamiKaze425 said:

It PvP open world it does. Especially if there's multiple people fighting. Say you're an assassin, and you stealth out while your allies fight. get your stamina use back up. run way the hell out somewhere and go behind the enemies. it takes a lot longer if you don't have the stamina. 

i mean, i admit, unlimited stamina would be great. but it might make open world pvp a little more annoying (especially if you're trying to hunt people down, haha)

Stamina regenerates quickly enough that odds are you can still do that in multi-person PvP.

2 minutes ago, Zaphery said:

Makes it so that it takes 0 effort to skip every single mob in the dungeon.

Granted you can already do that, but right now you need to actually know the way to do it.

I must really suck then.  One enemy catches me with a ranged attack, I'm out of sprint, and any mob I happen to have aggroed catches up and pounds me preventing future sprinting.

Pro-tips from veteran/smart people. Run out of stamina? Switch channels, to regain all lost stamina or run into portals that move you into different instances, but only ones that you know ill not force you to go to the load screen. If you have turtle comp, moving to the smallest instances will move likely force you to go to loadscreen so this method isnt for you.

Don't mind stamina because it's just that.. your characters stamina which makes it something that SHOULDN'T be unlimited, with mouths that's another story and has nothing to do with your character, what I hate is that you're forced into combat once hit (I know it happens on most all games), I mean if I'm running and someone taps me I don't just slow down and draw my weapon I KEEP running!

I think its just regen that is an issue, taking almost 1 minute to regen is...a  bit much i'm just voicing my opinion i know what they were going for i just dont feel like it hit the mark. It is suppose to be a variation on the idea of a mount, which is fine BUT the problem is that it is in every way inferior, because of the stamina bar. Is a reason wildstar did away with the stamina bar completely.

in my opinion stamina bar should be removed.

otherwhise the stamina system has to get a complete overhaul. i love this game and i love to be IN this game. jumping high, looking at the beautiful world, gliding (which should also be at the speed of sprint - not -1 in my opinion.

sorry but "the way i move through the world" i rly rly great, but its restrictions and downtime completely ruin any fun i could have with it.

its not a big deal to fix issues. just use different parameters

- if struck by a NPC/mob, 2-3 seconds after you are out of combat.

-if struck by an another player it takes 5-8 seconds to be out of combat.

unlimited stamina. way faster gliding

the game is already completely overpowered by invisible walls. ppl cant get anywhere where its not intended. so dont be afraid to bring fun to movement.

Archived