Any chance of BnS getting better on windows 10?

Dramais

Just now, BlowFish said:

It's worth noting that support for Win 7 ended over a year ago (unless your a corporate with extended support). Rolling back to an unsupported operating system would probably be a mistake imho.

This is true, but until games start using more Windows 10 only code(more directX 12 bells/whistles) we can assume Windows 7 is stable enough for game developers to work with.

We can also probably assume windows 7's death will mimic XP's where most users will try to stay in 7 for stability and safety sake, forcing most game devs to support it until there is a larger migration from 7 to 10. I'd expect 7 to still be acceptable for at least another 2-3 years before we start really seeing game companies phase it out.

Remember, devs have to meet the player base's requirement for success... not the other way around.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, BlowFish said:

It's worth noting that support for Win 7 ended over a year ago (unless your a corporate with extended support). Rolling back to an unsupported operating system would probably be a mistake imho.

That was windows xp that ended last year not windows 7 i was on windows 7 til july of last year when i receive a free upgrade to windows 10.

31 minutes ago, Tamchel said:

While you're right... 

Vista had a use? I mean, outside of being the UTMOST example of how not to code an OS? 

Moreover, I'm of those who believes that not upgrading to something else no matter how bad or good it is, is just slowing development and doesn't contribute to advancement of technology. 

Dev companies doesn't know right out of the way how bad something will turn out, they need feedback and for feedback they need people. Refusing to upgrade because you,re scared of losing I-Don't-Know-What (especially when it's a free upgrade from 7 to 10 (FREE DAMMNIT)) is silly. 

Always keep a cd-key of previous OS to be capable of reverting if something happens, but staying in the past out of fear is just hindering development. 

I understand companies an such because upgrading from an OS to another costs massive amounts of money that most doesn,t dare spend in the IT department (they feel it's where they can cut as much as they want where it's the department they should invest in as much as possible (Personal opinion)) 

But hey, I'm derailing the thread .-.

I build my own desktop computers but that's another story. I'm not sure when it started but most pre-built computers these days has a BIOS-based product keys. Which means on those computers you won't find a sticker with the product key on it. I'm not even sure if jellybean can read the product key if it's encoded in the BIOS.

1 minute ago, BlowFish said:

Ending support from MS doesn't directly correlate to ending support from game devs. Windows 7 will be a supported OS for games for a long time yet I bet. 

You have to support what the majority of your player base uses, even if the company that makes it has ended its "Mainstream Support"

Only time Windows 7 will lose true game dev support is when most of the player base migrates away from it. 

"install Gentoo" xD

5 minutes ago, mrGoodkat said:

Ending support from MS doesn't directly correlate to ending support from game devs. Windows 7 will be a supported OS for games for a long time yet I bet.

There will be no support for DirectX 12 in Win 7/8/8.1, so those platforms may get dopped really fast by new AAA games :/

13 minutes ago, Marqin said:

"install Gentoo" xD

There will be no support for DirectX 12 in Win 7/8/8.1, so those platforms may get dopped really fast by new AAA games :/

Considering the level of freedom Dx12 gives developers in fully utilizing GPU's without having to jump threw hurdles. Sadly, the only issue that's being the biggest bottleneck is consumer since Dx12 efficient cards. Something the majority of gamers won't have.

On the other hand Vulcan should be working on older Windowses, because it's OS independent and only needs special drivers and GPU support. And some big game copanies are already interested and involved in Vulcan API ( Blizzard, EA, Epic, Valve, Unity, etc. ), so there will be games using it.

2 hours ago, Marqin said:

"install Gentoo" xD

That didn't stop AAA game companies from avoiding DX10 for a little while back when vista came out. Most AAA game studios will support the largest player base before using bleeding edge tech like DirectX 12. 

It will happen, but not soon. Especially not from AAA game studios though, they have to do what thier publishers/producers tell them and most of the time they will avoid using bleeding edge tech to be able to capture a larger portion of the player base.

Even then bleeding edge tech will probably be behind a feature toggle, look at the multiple versions of civ 5 that pop up when you start the game depending on the directX distro they are going to use.

What's wrong with BnS on Win10? I have a 64bit Win10 and I have no issues with the game, whatsoever. I run it at a smooth 40-60 FPS on a 1gig nVidia and a dual 2.6 processor on high settings. I don't think the issue is Windows 10 mate...

Everquest still using dx 9.0c btw so even though you can install directx 10 or 11 on your pc to play that game you need to download the old 9.0c if it wasn't on your pc already. Gaming companies like corporations are not the type of people that change very fast 5 years ago my company was still using windows 98 just to tell you and i've seen many companies with hundred of workstation with old windows and hesitating to change.

i just got Win 10 an i keep crashing anytime i hit something simple such as the screenshot page or in character creation the manage appearance button always freezes an then kicks me an i have to re log in again...but other than that everything is fine that i know of 

Archived