Allow us to bail out of bidding

indieforu

the only problem is that there should be a 2 seconds cd from a bid made untill another can be made. meaning when someone tries to ninja up the price, it locks your bidding for 2 sec before the next can place the bid.

and obviously leaving the game/group/area shouldnt cancel your bid -.- idiot design as so much other stuff in the game

12 minutes ago, Fuzaki said:

Does bailing by "zoning" cause all of your previous bids to be cancelled. I guess this would only help if you're bidding against one other person though.

I'm pretty sure it does. The times I've skipped bidding (just didn't need the stuff), and zoned to the next area, I got none of the bids. 

to the OP, I like the idea of not allowing people to cancel bids. I'ts one thing to just bail on bidding altogether, but doing a cheap bail is cheap IMO. I'm OK with the bidding system as it is except that one part. When I push up an auction and I end up getting shafted, I take it. cause i bid on it. Although I don't mind upbidding in this case. If your paying attention, when 2 people are bidding, and the bid suddenly jumps from "X silver" to "X gold" and another person pops up in the bidding process, that's your queue to hit the pass button. 

They can still drop, but at least you have a way of avoiding the push. it's not like you got a gun to your head and are being forced to keep hitting the bid button.This is aside from people cheating out of a bid push that went bad. Not suprising though, in our current culture that avoid accountability like it's the plague. I'd like to see that changed, but in the meantime, just watch out. 

4 minutes ago, SikariMist said:

This whole thing, as already said, would be abused by the idea that you can bid just to inflate the price and cancel, effectively setting the price for other players, even if you don't want the item. you think tricking people is toxic, give those players full control over the price and you'll really see toxic.

Players already do that though. they up the bid a cash tier and hit cancel the very next bid, hoping that people will not notice and continue to spam the Y key. 

If were stuck with the bid system, I'd prefer keeping it as it is...the abuse works both ways. In early release had a gold buyer literally out bid everyone in the run...on everything. Once we realized that he was doing it because he didn't care, we all started up-bidding to get more cash. we needed the gear, but if a cheater is going to hack his way into getting all the loot, we might as well get something out of it.

IMO it's more of a check and balance system. But just like any system, i can get abused. I'm surprised that all the people who are asking for need/greed don't remember the "ninja looters" who would roll on every piece of gear that dropped, even if it was BoP and not for their class. In those setting you got NOTHING if they won. Here at least it's not left to random chance, it's controllable based on how much your willing to spend. and you get something back if you lose.

even need/greed isn't perfect. both have their disadvantages. no system is perfect unless they simply take competition out of the equation, and give each player a token on each boss. that can solve SOME of the issues, but it gets boring really fast...and it's hard to control token management once you have 2 dozen token types.

Sorry OP, that's one bad Idea. that solution will cause even more grief.

Like previous post have said, don;t press button repeatedly. There's timer there so you can look carefully how much do you have to bid.

And, don't trust people easily. LoL, the 1st time I ran brightstone ruin in cross server, a secret recipe for silver cauldron dropped. Two of the players immediately gushed out how rich we are going to be, that the recipe worth 50 Gold in market, and they gonna bid 30 Gold minimal. I have no idea how much it was worth, but i notice despite the enthusiasm, no one bidding. so I don;t bid either. The recipe is worth 7 Silver.

MMORPG is great place to remind you that the world is cruel to the unwary and the ignorant. And, it's better to get reminded in a game than in real world.

1 minute ago, Temjiu said:

Players already do that though. they up the bid a cash tier and hit cancel the very next bid, hoping that people will not notice and continue to spam the Y key. 

If were stuck with the bid system, I'd prefer keeping it as it is...the abuse works both ways. In early release had a gold buyer literally out bid everyone in the run...on everything. Once we realized that he was doing it because he didn't care, we all started up-bidding to get more cash. we needed the gear, but if a cheater is going to hack his way into getting all the loot, we might as well get something out of it.

IMO it's more of a check and balance system. But just like any system, i can get abused. I'm surprised that all the people who are asking for need/greed don't remember the "ninja looters" who would roll on every piece of gear that dropped, even if it was BoP and not for their class. In those setting you got NOTHING if they won. Here at least it's not left to random chance, it's controllable based on how much your willing to spend. and you get something back if you lose.

even need/greed isn't perfect. both have their disadvantages. no system is perfect unless they simply take competition out of the equation, and give each player a token on each boss. that can solve SOME of the issues, but it gets boring really fast...and it's hard to control token management once you have 2 dozen token types.

The difference between now (boosting price) and the suggested method is that it's zero risk. They can boost it and not have to worry about either a.) eating the price or b.) leaving the room and not being able to roll on any other drops.

The suggested system would allow someone to boost it as high as they wanted to try to phish for quick-click bidders, and if no one fell for it, they could just deny the rest of the bid and still attempt to troll the next rolls instead.

12 minutes ago, SikariMist said:

The difference between now (boosting price) and the suggested method is that it's zero risk. They can boost it and not have to worry about either a.) eating the price or b.) leaving the room and not being able to roll on any other drops.

The suggested system would allow someone to boost it as high as they wanted to try to phish for quick-click bidders, and if no one fell for it, they could just deny the rest of the bid and still attempt to troll the next rolls instead.

Perhaps I'm missing something. I thought that currently if you zone out, you drop from the bidding process (I've done this myself skipping bids completely, so I know it works). I thought the suggested change was that if your the winning bidder, and you zone out or drop party, you still keep the winning bid and the cash is still distributed.

Maybe I was reading it wrong. But forcing people to keep a bid they made after they zone doesn't seem like a bad solution at all.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I was agreeing with one of the alternative suggestions further on down. To that point I do agree...allowing someone to bail will only reinforce and exacerbate the current cheating process.

I stick to my guns on that other suggestion though...forcing people to stay with their bid when they zone should be implemented. The people who would "innocently" be caught in this change are those who simply aren't paying attention. PAY ATTENTION...I am not responsible for paying for you to not deal with what's in front of you. if you aren't paying attention, deal with it, take the hit, and suck it up to experience. I lost 70 silver on a bid because of this...and I learned fast. I pay attention now.

7 minutes ago, Temjiu said:

Perhaps I'm missing something. I thought that currently if you zone out, you drop from the bidding process (I've done this myself skipping bids completely, so I know it works). I thought the suggested change was that if your the winning bidder, and you zone out or drop party, you still keep the winning bid and the cash is still distributed.

Maybe I was reading it wrong. But forcing people to keep a bid they made after they zone doesn't seem like a bad solution at all.

"Allow us to bail out of bidding when we have the highest bid. When you bail, the last person who bid becomes the top bidder, The bid also goes back to what you bid on.  "

The OP wants to be able to drop out of a highest bid, because he keeps clicking on bid-boosts, and thinks the issue would be solved if he could just leave the max bid. It would just make the current troll trick even easier and wouldn't fix the problem, as people would be dropping the bid. Ideally, people just pay attention, and when the troll drops out because he doesn't want to get caught with the troll-bid, they can still try to get it.

Paying attention fixes this issue, nothing else will.

EDIT: Forcing bids would work, but at the same time, removes the only safety-net spam clickers have, which is already the problem, people not paying attention.

1 minute ago, SikariMist said:

"Allow us to bail out of bidding when we have the highest bid. When you bail, the last person who bid becomes the top bidder, The bid also goes back to what you bid on.  "

The OP wants to be able to drop out of a highest bid, because he keeps clicking on bid-boosts, and thinks the issue would be solved if he could just leave the max bid. It would just make the current troll trick even easier and wouldn't fix the problem, as people would be dropping the bid. Ideally, people just pay attention, and when the troll drops out because he doesn't want to get caught with the troll-bid, they can still try to get it.

Paying attention fixes this issue, nothing else will.

Totally agree Sikar, added an EDIT to my above comment when I actually went back and re-read the origional post :D

Archived