Localization is a piece of crap.

Shival

The terrible thing is, NCWest was busy going 'We want your feedback about the localization!' and then turned around and proceeded to ignore every bit of feedback that wasn't positive. If I had known Blade and Soul NA/EU would have turned out like this, I would have sent in a resume for being on the writing team in a heartbeat. Because I sincerely doubt anyone on the 'writing team' has experience with writing worth a damn at the very least, far too in love with themselves and/or being paid to look like they know what they are doing at worst.

2 hours ago, Koragg said:

The fact of the matter is we didn't want a westernized "thing" we wanted to enjoy the original Asian game because it was ASIAN it's different, different culture etc. That's what i was looking for, if i wanted "westernized" i'd play a western game.

1 hour ago, Soulequilibrium said:

I normally really enjoy following a story in any game and I'm loving almost everything about Blade and Soul. Not the story though. The voice acting is generally of mediocre if not outright bad quality. It's also absent in many places. I have actually clicked away certain pieces of text after speed reading it just so I could stop listening to the voice over. On top of that the writing isn't very great and I'm well aware of how many things have been changed from the original Korean version. Taking such liberties with someone else's work is criminal, frankly.

This is really hampering my enjoyment of the game. I had wanted a proper translation without its contents being changed to "suit the western audience". I had wanted that translation to be of professional quality. And I had wanted to have the original Korean voice pack. Instead we got the poor attempt at localisation we have now. If this is the amount of effort NCWest wants to spend on the game for us in the NA/EU they have not instilled much faith in me and I doubt I will entrust them with my financial support.

these 

2 hours ago, rocdog said:

These threads are dumb.  People think that the original quest texts are Shakespeare, just because they don't understand the language.

Uh huh. Even ignoring the original version, the English is incredibly simplistic, full of plot holes, confusing and just plain terrible. It's the people that do understand the other languages that are able to point out not only how bad it is standalone, but also in comparison. 

If you are fine with paying (or not) for poor quality work, more power to you.

5 hours ago, Raepheles said:

I don't care even if they add billion servers when they are not stabile at all. This game was so popular for years and they should have approximate number of players that would come into game. They weren't ready for the launch at all. Don't know about NA but they are giving so poor service for EU so far. Probably people living close to Frankfurt don't really feel it that much since like 30 to 50 ping difference wouldn't be something to bubble about. At this point honestly I wounder if gameforge could do better.

I live in Frankfurt and have a pretty decent connection (better than majority of germans) and I still have to experience a lot of latency issues (I even made a thread about it in the german forum). My ping should be 20-30ms, but often is in high 60-150ms. And its not only during the most populated day times. 

Gameforge sucks because all their games become P2W (and I use the definition from Wikipedia so don't say I just use it because everyone else does, go read it first if you want to address me on this). But you gotta admit their servers are all decent and almost always very stable (at least Metin2/Aion servers). Which we, unfortunately, cant say about NCSoft. Tbh I am very disappointed with NCSoft so far. I was really happy to hear that NCSoft would take over B&S for EU and not Gameforge and co... oh well. 

I am also disappointed, strongly considering just dropping the game for now and return in a few months and see if it's better.

I think the dialogue translations are mostly okay, it doesn't bother me too much because I don't care about the story THAT much. What really bothers me in terms of translation is the significantly worse translations of the ability tooltips. It's just... ugh. Some of them are just super dumb, others are not even understandable. My favourite might be the one that increases "your crit by 3sec. for 10%"

6 hours ago, WookieeMario said:

You mean time travel. If I remember correctly. An NPC says he sense something rememberable about you (Guessing Ki energy). That would explain A lot of the NPCs reaction to you. Again this is something an NPC says to you.

Traveling through Soldi objects is caused by one of the four masters if I remember correctly. He opens it but before he does that he is shocked that you knew to what an Dragon Pulse was. If we are talking about the same thing of course. 

While  it sooort of explains these things, my point being, the actual story in the original version makes much more sense, what happens here they had to re-write to cover changes they made earlier, like not fully explaining dragon pulses, or turning that bit of the story into a vision of you being there as someone else, when it wasn't like that in the first place.

8 minutes ago, Banished said:

Be happy you can atleast play the game after it had been released in Korea (I think Korea) for 4 years ;w;

Coming from TW version of the game, I'd say only thing I'm happy with here is the better ping. Not saying that the game is bad, but NCSoft does a much better job in taiwan than they do here in the west. Localization is pretty lackluster, which i don't really complain about too much, except for some translations on some parts like gear/skills.

I also find it very intriguing that they changed some things at launch and not during the CBT weekends in hongmoon store and in game. Sure, changing the daily spins I don't mind since its free. But just look at the dragon pouches needed to open inventory/vault space.. its suddenly much more than before and the prices are higher with fewer pouches, also the brilliant keys got more expensive and NCSoft knows people would buy them at headstart to safe time (some people didn't refund their founder packs, thinking they got a nice deal after seeing the pre-launch pricing, which now is less value).  Yes, its nothing major, but still something you shouldn't ignore. Note: that even during CBT pricing wasnt cheaper than other version, just saying.

Also the game so far feels like NCSoft is not trying to make people enjoy the game and invest money on their own free will, but by forcing free to play players into micro transactions. Look at the price for premium start at 11bucks, so if you want to buy premium you'll have to buy 20bucks worth of ncoins and will have 9bucks leftover.. hmm pay 20 bucks or hf in queue time with over hundreds of other non-premium plebs. Costumes are nice to make money on the side, but the main income should be the premium membership since its what people who play this game long term will buy. Make it more appealing to consumers instead. And not force them to buy ncoins to use basic mechanics of the game.. thats the best way to lose your credibility and potential customers.

And most important. Many knowns problems such as game crashes caused by Razer Chroma SDK & GameScanner are till now still NOT fixed. Its been known since headstart and today we still don't have a fix for it. Workarounds are not a solution for long term. Not to mention the disappearing paid costumes and many other still unsolved problems. This is very unprofessional. They had 3 weeks to fix that now and still nothing, but a workaround... Excuse my rant.

I've seen Korean names written in quite a lot of different ways because the transliteration methods differ, it would be more correct to say that the family name along with the persons name consists of 3 syllables in total (with some exceptions). Not that it makes their job any better, I just wanted to add to what you said!

That's why nobody cares about the story or quests. Ye, the localization is a joke, looks like on several things they had multiple teams translating the same items/names and nobody coordinated it. And some things are just plain wrong. Also the amount of responses by the enemies is a joke (THEY CHANGED OUR HOURS AGAIN?!) and seems to be there just to be there...

To be perfectly honest... This is one of the worst localization I have ever seen, while cutscenes are horrible majority of voice actors are still 'listenable'. Stuff gets really bad once you start listening to the NPCs standing around you, they are literally they *cricket* on you ears.

Pretty much, after my 1st run in blackram supply it made me pray to find setting to disable dialogue volume

"they changed the hours again"
"Yippe"
"Hah, as i expected!"

It's one of the worst voice acting i have ever experienced in my life.

Furthermore skill descriptions often bring more confusion than anything, it took me about 10 minutes to figure out that Barrage can only be used when you use dash jump/glide.

Also, why in the world would you change the story? Do they really thing that EU audience is too stupid to enjoy original writing of an author? In fact this should be treated as an insult aimed towards all of us.

Actually I dare to say that this fan-made FFXIV voice fix is still of higher quality than B'n S voice acting.... Sorry

It's absolutely awful, there's clearly been almost zero oversight on phrasing for anything other than quest text.

Skill book descriptions, semantic phrasing for items like gems, all of it's completely borked. However, it is internally consistent. So if a skill prerequisite says "Stuns or Dazes enemy" - it really means "Works on stunned or dazed enemies", and every skill in the skillbook uses that broken phrase to mean the same thing.

Some are worded weirdly. E.g. "Triggers" means "Has a chance to". Some have names switched up, some voiced lines don't match the subtitles and some just make no sense whatsoever. I can make a bet the voice actors didn't even see the characters or the scenes they voiced. When I saw a Lyn with a harsh gruff British accent in the main story was when I realized voice actors weren't bad, they were just poorly led.

Sometimes names are completely wrong (I know for sure there's at least one or two in Blackram Supply Chain that are a totally different name in-game vs the quest log).

Another for the dailies near Lycan the Mighty. Says to kill some scouts to summon "X" and you summon someone named completely different like White Pebble.

There's been pretty big discussions before on how badly they *cricket* up the thing. They call it 'localization', I call it 'we went 4kids on this'

For example, Mushin isn't his name, it's his title, and they used that as his name + makes up a different title for him. Or Dochun and Dodan aren't their names, it's their actual name (Do Chunpoong and Do Danha) cut down and stick together. The thing is this shit will not hold, BnS have story that is still going on and based on what others have said their changes (which is meant to make story more understandable) will make things later on even MORE confusing instead, because while the texts change, the action in the game is the same.

I dont understand about 40% of what happens in this game because of that. I will be fighting burning through focus and suddenly I have full focus again no *cricket*ing clue what procced but sweet. This game explains almost nothing to you due to shitty translations. I cant even really build good rotations because the skills dont always say when it does more damage with something or when it will knockback or stun. To learn how to pvp and what my combos were I spent 2 hours dueling my friend just to learn.

It's seriously awful, and I don't get how it's even acceptable. The fact that it can take me so long to even figure out what some of my skills do and how they work because they're translated so badly only makes things worse.

I also just watched a level 40 - 45 cutscene with the standard god-awful voice acting, and as well as the fact that the voices randomly changed volume and generally sound like they got random people in the office to record lines on a microphone from 20 years ago, at one point they had 2 voices talking over each other. I dunno if they straight up just overlapped the lines and didn't bother to fix it, or if they literally didn't record an english version of the line and just kept the Korean version in (since he's only saying a person's name). It's ridiculous either way.

So why do I still play this game? Two reasons. The combat is cool and I like big boobs.

And to wrap this rant off:

"You cannot use Daily Dash anymore."

AOWDUdz.png

8 hours ago, Shival said:

Seriously; we wanted to play blade and soul to ENJOY the BLADE AND SOUL. Not the Knife and Spirit version of the game its now. I know, that this propably cant be fixed due to copyright/localisation laws. But I need to point out: you royally screw up your fanbase, by localising this game.

Things done good:

lots of puns and memes

Things done bad:

overload of cheap puns and memes

translation of skill is amateur lvl

changing names of items midgame is wthisgoingon lvl

translation of names is kid TVshow lvl

translation of dialogues is kid TVshow lvl

changing the storyline to make it more appealing to western audience is BORDERLINE SELLOUT CRAPPY CASH IN WE THINK OUR CUSTOMERS CANT APPRECIATE ART AND INTELECTUAL GYMNASTICS lvl

This game HAS big potential, but you NcSoft treat is so amateurlish and immature I just cant imagine how you can waste your money like that. This is a well known AAA title and its being ruined by people who have no idea about game design. Please, check who is doing what in your team.

You know how to do your job as a translator right? You translate the game. You make it understandable. If some things are impossible to translate you try to get the best similiar effect. The more word by word, the better. Not changing the original artist work because you think it will be better. Leave thinking to the customer.

Rant Over.

maybe you should play the Korean version

8 minutes ago, OwenLopez said:

maybe you should play the Korean version

People like you are the biggest issue, I swear that you're one of those that would go to a 5 star restaurant, get rotten food on plate, pay for it... eat it, and when someone would point out "Dude, this food is rotten... don't eat that". You would go all defensive "Maybe you should go to other restaurant then!"

People are right, localization is awful and unprofessional, so maybe you should just leave forum if you cant stand reading people's constructive opinions and arguments.

Seriously, are you getting paid for it or you're just ignorant(actually applies to all people defending poorly executed job)

Archived