Localization is a piece of crap.

Shival

Seriously; we wanted to play blade and soul to ENJOY the BLADE AND SOUL. Not the Knife and Spirit version of the game its now. I know, that this propably cant be fixed due to copyright/localisation laws. But I need to point out: you royally screw up your fanbase, by localising this game.

Things done good:

lots of puns and memes

Things done bad:

overload of cheap puns and memes

translation of skill is amateur lvl

changing names of items midgame is wthisgoingon lvl

translation of names is kid TVshow lvl

translation of dialogues is kid TVshow lvl

changing the storyline to make it more appealing to western audience is BORDERLINE SELLOUT CRAPPY CASH IN WE THINK OUR CUSTOMERS CANT APPRECIATE ART AND INTELECTUAL GYMNASTICS lvl

This game HAS big potential, but you NcSoft treat is so amateurlish and immature I just cant imagine how you can waste your money like that. This is a well known AAA title and its being ruined by people who have no idea about game design. Please, check who is doing what in your team.

You know how to do your job as a translator right? You translate the game. You make it understandable. If some things are impossible to translate you try to get the best similiar effect. The more word by word, the better. Not changing the original artist work because you think it will be better. Leave thinking to the customer.

Rant Over.

Not everything will be translated properly. It's kinda messy, but it happens. People make mistakes after all. 

And frankly, I don't think the translation is that bad. I've seen worse in other games. Honestly, it's not that serious. 

3 minutes ago, Koragg said:

I feel myself agreeing to this... it's says game rated M for mature? Where? All i see is PG-13....

You haven't completed the storyline then because that black rose lady was stripped fully naked at the ending

Just now, Luffs said:

You haven't completed the storyline then because that black rose lady was stripped fully naked at the ending

Oh and let's not forget all the on screen murders and death happening in this game. Mature does not just mean blood and gore. In Act 2 you see how main villian slaughters soldiers fully with fire.

1 minute ago, Luffs said:

that was the other lady, but regardless a lot of things were left out or rewritten to attempt to make sense to cover stuff that they decided to omit, which ultimately just leaves it more confusing, I had to look for videos of play-throughs in the Korean version with English subtitles to fully understand the story

2 minutes ago, Aaronax said:

that was the other lady, but regardless a lot of things were left out or rewritten to attempt to make sense to cover stuff that they decided to omit, which ultimately just leaves it more confusing, I had to look for videos of play-throughs in the Korean version with English subtitles to fully understand the story

I understand the story fully. Was not much confusing about it to be honest. Did you really read everything NPC said? 

10 minutes ago, WookieeMario said:

I understand the story fully. Was not much confusing about it to be honest. Did you really read everything NPC said? 

things like:

Traveling through wormholes with a different wormhole that intercepts the one you are going through as you are violently forced down the new one with no explanation, looks like everything went as planned, even though it didn't seem that way!

Dropping out of the sky at a different location when you were only participating in a vision rather than traveling. 

People recognizing you without you having ever been to a location before because you were only there in a vision, as someone else. 

(admittedly though all those are part of the same event)

Traveling through solid objects with dragon pulses, or using them as portals (like the wormholes) when they are described only as a form of windwalking.

Characters with sudden changes in motives without any lead ups.

13 minutes ago, Luffs said:

Haha you're joking right? Internet is full of naked woman, every 5 year old and his dog has seen a naked woman, the time when that was considered mature has long since passed. I'm not even sure what could you call mature at this point in time. Also, killing, blood, gore? You've seen some movies lately right? People die left and right and blood flows like rivers... I mean even Disney kills people...

2 minutes ago, Aaronax said:

things like:

Traveling through wormholes with a different wormhole that intercepts the one you are going through as you are violently forced down the new one with no explanation, looks like everything went as planned, even though it didn't seem that way!

Dropping out of the sky at a different location when you were only participating in a vision rather than traveling. 

People recognizing you without you having ever been to a location before because you were only there in a vision, as someone else. 

(admittedly though all those are part of the same event)

Traveling through solid objects with dragon pulses when they are described as a form of windwalking.

Characters with sudden changes in motives without any lead ups.

You mean time travel. If I remember correctly. An NPC says he sense something rememberable about you (Guessing Ki energy). That would explain A lot of the NPCs reaction to you. Again this is something an NPC says to you.

Traveling through Soldi objects is caused by one of the four masters if I remember correctly. He opens it but before he does that he is shocked that you knew to what an Dragon Pulse was. If we are talking about the same thing of course. 

1 minute ago, Raepheles said:

NCSoft is doing pretty bad so far when it comes to publishing. There are worse problems than those.

Yes there are, but you know what they say it all starts somewhere. They simply went complacent on this, so what stops them from doing the same to other stuff. 

5 minutes ago, Keawen said:

When i hear conversation like this i feel like applying as a translator for NcSoft.Wondering if they are hiring lol.

Some politically correct softies;

Im still enjoying the game very much but it looks like my wallet is a bit more closed than I wanted it to be.

15 minutes ago, Koragg said:

Haha you're joking right? Internet is full of naked woman, every 5 year old and his dog has seen a naked woman, the time when that was considered mature has long since passed. I'm not even sure what could you call mature at this point in time. Also, killing, blood, gore? You've seen some movies lately right? People die left and right and blood flows like rivers... I mean even Disney kills people...

Welp, some adults and lots of lawgivers arent really up to date and for them this is a mature game for mature people. Lets not forget our western approach to sex and sexuality (while we ooze with sexual imagery left and right, outright sex and being lewd is frowned upon. A gift from medieval ages, eh?)

NCSoft has actually took some good steps and precautions to not mess up the game:

- names are unique and can only be used once on one server instead of being used on every server, that way if they merged servers in the future nobody would be forced to rename their characters

- Currency exchange was removed (this would have definately made the game P2W and everyone would have complained)

- They added many new servers after the game launch

Just now, Luffs said:

NCSoft has actually took some good steps and precautions to not mess up the game:

- names are unique and can only be used once on one server instead of being used on every server, that way if they merged servers in the future nobody would be forced to rename their characters

- Currency exchange was removed (this would have definately made the game P2W and everyone would have complained)

I don't care even if they add billion servers when they are not stabile at all. This game was so popular for years and they should have approximate number of players that would come into game. They weren't ready for the launch at all. Don't know about NA but they are giving so poor service for EU so far. Probably people living close to Frankfurt don't really feel it that much since like 30 to 50 ping difference wouldn't be something to bubble about. At this point honestly I wounder if gameforge could do better.

3 minutes ago, Luffs said:

Dude did you even read what this thread is about?....

16 minutes ago, Shival said:

Some politically correct softies;

Im still enjoying the game very much but it looks like my wallet is a bit more closed than I wanted it to be.

Welp, some adults and lots of lawgivers arent really up to date and for them this is a mature game for mature people. Lets not forget our western approach to sex and sexuality (while we ooze with sexual imagery left and right, outright sex and being lewd is frowned upon. A gift from medieval ages, eh?)

I have to say, I have to agree with you in every single word you posted in this thread.

Although I dont find the translation THAT bad, as I saw way worse translations, and you can understand the story if you pay enough attention, it really feels like stuff is missing/weird/doesnt fit together, and some elements are really confusing in the story.

I also hate that change on the story to make it "more apealing" to western audience. It feels like they understimate/disrespect western customers. I like it to be translated but not changed, I want to enjoy the original story, the TRUE story, not some cheap version.

At least I gotta say Im enjoying everything else about the game tho.

The fact of the matter is we didn't want a westernized "thing" we wanted to enjoy the original Asian game because it was ASIAN it's different, different culture etc. That's what i was looking for, if i wanted "westernized" i'd play a western game.

I normally really enjoy following a story in any game and I'm loving almost everything about Blade and Soul. Not the story though. The voice acting is generally of mediocre if not outright bad quality. It's also absent in many places. I have actually clicked away certain pieces of text after speed reading it just so I could stop listening to the voice over. On top of that the writing isn't very great and I'm well aware of how many things have been changed from the original Korean version. Taking such liberties with someone else's work is criminal, frankly.

This is really hampering my enjoyment of the game. I had wanted a proper translation without its contents being changed to "suit the western audience". I had wanted that translation to be of professional quality. And I had wanted to have the original Korean voice pack. Instead we got the poor attempt at localisation we have now. If this is the amount of effort NCWest wants to spend on the game for us in the NA/EU they have not instilled much faith in me and I doubt I will entrust them with my financial support.

21 minutes ago, Koragg said:

The fact of the matter is we didn't want a westernized "thing" we wanted to enjoy the original Asian game because it was ASIAN it's different, different culture etc. That's what i was looking for, if i wanted "westernized" i'd play a western game.

Agreed... after going through the whole story line and all side quests as they are right now, I honestly feel somewhat cheated out of an authentic experience. The visuals and style are there, but some of the characters mannerism and certain story beats feel like they have been written by a 5th grader...

1 hour ago, Shival said:

Things done good:

lots of ... memes

I beg to differ; This was a bad thing. It's lazy and dates the localization unnecessarily. I'd rather they'd have gone and made their own jokes.

Honestly I'd rather the story be coherent, but I guess coherency is problematic; also decent voicework. That's toxic.

Archived