Forums

Fake-Bidding and leaving the dungeon

Andunye

I've read it before but now I experienced it myself. I bid on an item and suddenly someone raised it 2 gold. I won the item for 2 gold without the intent for bidding 2 gold; we all know how fast you click in the lower copper area.

This person tried it again and put in 4 gold for the next item. Upon the danger of winning it for 4 gold, the person just left the dungeon. Everything as the devs of BnS designed, the person did not betray or trick me, even when there could be bad intentions stated. The mechanics of the bidding system does allow bidding and leaving the party to prevent buying an overpriced item.

But here's my conclusion. Losing 2 gold dealt a heavy damage to my assets. I'm not gonna farm 2 more gold to upgrade my lvl 36 weapon despite being lvl 45. It took me a whole week to get 2 gold. The relation (losing gold in a bid):(farming gold to compensate) is far too high. As other MMO players, I've been playing an old MMO where I've accumulated enough gold to buy costumes once a month for 2 more years, including subscription for 2 years. I'm just not used to be poor. And I'm not gonna pour real money into BnS just to lose it in another bid.

This is your fault then really. If you're bidding, pay attention, don't just mindlessly hit y to keep bidding. If I'm bidding, I stop, stand still and proceed to bid so i can watch the auction. If I'm not.. well hit n and move on. That's the key to fake bidders, its a way to make money sure. But you have to pay attention, there is a time limit between bids that resets on every bid. 

Actually the solution is to make people unable to leave an instance while a bid is taking place when they have the highest bid. This will keep these little asshats from spiking bids if people watch what was bid last. I would love to see one of them get their just desserts by bump bidding 5+ gold for a 5 silver item and then get locked into it. I find it so sad that Eastern regions do not have this problem but us in the West have to deal with such behavior. 

Mech that is not the point. Behavior like this should not be condoned nor encouraged for the overall quality of the game community. Bad behavior like this needs to be weeded out or the game just becomes a toxic cesspool that will result in fewer players and lost revenue for the company in general.

9 minutes ago, OmniBlade said:

Actually the solution is to make people unable to leave an instance while a bid is taking place when they have the highest bid. This will keep these little asshats from spiking bids if people watch what was bid last. I would love to see one of them get their just desserts by bump bidding 5+ gold for a 5 silver item and then get locked into it. I find it so sad that Eastern regions do not have this problem but us in the West have to deal with such behavior. 

Unless the person has passed on all bids, then they should be able to leave instance. I'd hate to wait in a bidwar for 10 minutes just to be able to leave a dungeon because people are bidding mindlessly over certain items.

If 2 people are bidding constantly and the person who would've won the bid leaves, it should revert back to the last bid made by the person who was in the bidwar. 

4 minutes ago, Kitah said:

Unless the person has passed on all bids, then they should be able to leave instance. I'd hate to wait in a bidwar for 10 minutes just to be able to leave a dungeon because people are bidding mindlessly over certain items.

If 2 people are bidding constantly and the person who would've won the bid leaves, it should revert back to the last bid made by the person who was in the bidwar. 

It's seems fairly obvious you didn't even read what he wrote except maybe certain nouns in the whole qoute.....

" Actually the solution is to make people unable to leave an instance while a bid is taking place when they have the highest bid.  " So, wtf does your nonsense have to do with his suggestion of locking the person in the instance when they have highest bid? What does bid wars and passing mindless bidding have to do with locking the highest bidding person in the instance for trying to goad and no one took the bait?

making people unable to logout while winning a bid wouldn't solve anything as they'll just pull the plug alt +F4 or find another way to force a disconnect.

It would be better to make them (if winning bid) win the item and have them subtract the gold from the account + send the item to the character through mail.

This way people who make outrageous bids that they aren't willing to pay, will get punished.

+ advantage people who make an honest bid but get dc'd before they win, can still get the item they won.

Another possibility would be to let the party select a max bid raise at the start of an instance. (can't be changed by party leader afterwards, unless by party vote, for x-server parties)

That way we could set a 50 copper max raise at lower lvl's and x silver raise max at higher lvl's.

Ought not be that hard to implement i reckon.

2 minutes ago, SeekerScorpio said:

It's seems fairly obvious you didn't even read what he wrote except maybe certain nouns in the whole sentence.....

" Actually the solution is to make people unable to leave an instance while a bid is taking place when they have the highest bid.  " So, wtf does your nonsense have to do with his suggestion of locking the person in the instance when they have highest bid? What does bid wars and passing mindless bidding have to do with locking the highest bidding person in the instance for trying to goad and no one took the bait?

In the 2nd instance, I should've said in my inital post. I was more on the guise if someone left by shutting the game down. Which NCsoft cannot block them from doing. No need to be so rude.

8 minutes ago, OmniBlade said:

Mech that is not the point. Behavior like this should not be condoned nor encouraged for the overall quality of the game community. Bad behavior like this needs to be weeded out or the game just becomes a toxic cesspool that will result in fewer players and lost revenue for the company in general.

You have a point, but either way, making gold is not a real problem if you do dailies, even so, it was your fault to blind bidding of 1 copper but it is fault of the game that it let ppl leave after bidding, it should block the leaving option when you already bidded, but not during looting and you had passed or havent bid at all. Even so, keep in mind that in part it was your fault by blind bidding.

They should make the bidder pay up even if he leaves the party. They also need to fix the leader being able to switch loot distribution method right as the boss is going to die. For now I recommend skipping the copper wars entirely to a reasonable price because expecting to get something dirt cheap that is not class specific and needed by many is foolish.

I've done the "troll" bid before on people. Honestly? If you fall for it, it is kind of your fault unless I was doing it.  I measure everyone's response point so I know when you'll click next. So it is just a matter of figuring out how much you have on you.

Now, do I normally do a troll bid? No.

Generally, if I'm doing it, it is mainly as a joke (maybe a silver or two more than you'd normally be willing to pay).

If it is to get you to stop making last second bids (I had someone over and over again bid at the last second just to make the party wait-they didn't get to bid on much for the rest of the dungeon), I might make you pay a lot more though.  I mean, I really don't want to wait 10 minutes or let you have the item cheap because you want to do minimum bid at the last second. Especially not when we have 3 more items to go until the item I want is on bid and you keep doing it each item.

I've really only left the area once and that was simply because I wanted to show the party how much I had as a joke (I had mentioned that I was doing a joke bid beforehand).

I do make an exception of if you are being a complete jerk to the party (getting the party wiped on purpose, going 'afk' at each boss fight only to 'happen to return' when the looting starts, actively harassing the party in chat or map, etc.). In which case, I will look at your gear and level and premium status, figure out what you probably have, and take as much as I can. I mean, if you are going to make the party pay for repairs because you want to screw the party over or just want to leech, then I'm going to make you pay for the party's repairs yourself.

===

Actually, what is funny is when I don't even mean to troll bid and it happens anyways. Like when I want to put all my gold on something I really need, and right after I bid, someone else hits without looking and outbids me by more gold than I have.

One player: "I got trolled, Good game, well played." I was like: No... I actually wanted it >.<

===

Also, locking in the highest bidder doesn't really help. What if they DC themselves? How would you prevent them from walking out? That is a lot of programming that you'd have to do.

And as to another proposed solution elsewhere that I'll preempt here, if the game forces them to pay if they leave, what if someone wanted to pay more for the item? It could be abused to get the item for cheap.

To be honest, it's your fault for mindlessly pressing the bid button and not checking and making sure that the bid hadnt been fake bumped. I've fake bid before, it's an easy and fast way to make some extra money, the best time to jump the price a few gold is when 2 idiots get into a mindles bidding game. Easy money.

The bump bidding is also one reason some people do the infuriating bid at last second thing too. They might have a poor connection and are making sure they are not bidding a stupid amount. All of this contributes to a poor game experience and causing people to quit the game due to frustration and getting tired of being taken advantage of by childish behavior. Personally, i think every person that admits to this should be banned due to greifing. You are intentionally doing something to damage other players enjoyment of the game. IMO if you intentionally do this, you sir/madame are a prick!

3 hours ago, OmniBlade said:

The bump bidding is also one reason some people do the infuriating bid at last second thing too. They might have a poor connection and are making sure they are not bidding a stupid amount. All of this contributes to a poor game experience and causing people to quit the game due to frustration and getting tired of being taken advantage of by childish behavior. Personally, i think every person that admits to this should be banned due to greifing. You are intentionally doing something to damage other players enjoyment of the game. IMO if you intentionally do this, you sir/madame are a prick!

The bidding system works as intended, you just have to make sure you're watching your bids. It's not griefing. This sytem works in all of the other BnS games, it's just the americans that have a problem with it. lol

11 minutes ago, OmniBlade said:

Personally, last second bids are also griefing. And I know that purposefully trying to wipe the party is griefing as well. Bidding on an item when you refused to help with battle is pretty close to griefing as well.

Also, if you have bad connection, you would NOT be making last second bids consistently. Like, if you are bidding at 0.4 seconds every time for minimum bid, I'm sorry, but if you had bad connection, you wouldn't do that because you'd probably fail to bid.  If you have a bad connection, about 4~5 seconds left is reasonable.

If anything, most players of a decent level just take the hit, laugh, and move on. I've taken a hit before. I just laughed it off as the party getting a bit of extra gold. Most people I've hit as a joke or by accident just laughed it off as well. A few just didn't talk in the first place.

Now, doing it to low levels is definitely just infuriating for them as they don't have much in the first place.

===

I also do bump bidding just to get the price up when I know the price will go up much higher anyways.

Why wait for an item to go from 1 copper to 50 gold a few copper at a time when I can just bump it in one go to about 10 gold and save us a good minute or two?

Also, pro-tip: You can make it so that you can't bid past a certain price.

1 minute ago, OmniBlade said:

Ya the bidding system works as intended. The behavior that people are abusing it with was not intended. That is greifing and no matter how you try to justify it, it will not change my opinion.

You call it griefing, but what if there is no intent of causing grief?

Think of it this way: You want an item for cheap, we want you to pay as much as we can get you to pay because we know that we'll have to pay probably just as much for our own item.

You call it griefing, I call it making money. Why worry about listing something on the broker when I can just charge you for it? I really like the bidding system instead of using RNG to decide on who gets the item. RNG ruins games.

4 minutes ago, Praipus said:

You call it griefing, I call it making money. Why worry about listing something on the broker when I can just charge you for it? I really like the bidding system instead of using RNG to decide on who gets the item. RNG ruins games.

Yeah, it really is a great system. You can troll trolls with it, you can make money off of it, and whether you get the item or not is really mostly based on how much are you willing to pay for it. One of my favorite loot systems aside from the FFXIV:ARR system. That system was pretty good. People that could use the item got priority on the rolls.  There was another system where if you were in the same party for a while, you built up points that you could use. Essentially the same thing as this but with participation points instead of money.

And as I've mentioned before, you can choose not to pay more than X amount if you know how.

Archived