How To Make A Gif Your Profile Picture Portrait In game

AkameSatsugai

29 minutes ago, 364Tomorrows said:

Forgot to ask: Do you know if this is possible with stuff other than photoshop? I tried it just with resizing a gif and saving it over the portrait and it didn't work for me ; - ; 

It won't work if the file size is too big. I don't know the exact size limit, but try not to go over 5 MB...?

2 hours ago, 364Tomorrows said:

Forgot to ask: Do you know if this is possible with stuff other than photoshop? I tried it just with resizing a gif and saving it over the portrait and it didn't work for me ; - ; 

sorry i didnt get back to you. If you do it in a different program, you have to upload it to imgur then get the direct link then change the end to jpg and saving it as that. You must do that step (i resized and did other things in photoshop bc thats what i have for editing) above all because it is still a gif but it is saved as a jpg extension. Just changing it to the file and say putting .jpg after it doesnt change the actual extension yet saving it from imgur like i did does. idk why but it does :P 

18 hours ago, 364Tomorrows said:

Welp that's cool. RIP me for not having photoshop tho.

Oh btw, (for you and everyone else without photoshop.) someone sent me this so you guys should be able to do this instead since you dont have photoshop XD **** Since not everyone has access to Photoshop or knows how to use it you can direct people to ezgif.com. There people should go to Gif resize and upload the gif they want either from their computer or link. They can resize it to match the jpgs which is about 379 x 419 in dimensions. From their have them copy the link from the resized gif to imgur and from there it's just like you showed in your video **** Just saw this in my email so this should be better than what i explained above XD.

Do you have "hide known extensions" on in your folder settings? If you do, adding .jpg will effectively name it "name.jpg.gif" as the extension is hidden, thus it is still a .gif. If you disable "hide known extensions" and rename it, it should work. The information how to open the file is described in the file's header, the extension is only so the computer know what program to open the file with, the program itself doesn't care what the extension is.

21 hours ago, Yndril said:

Do you have "hide known extensions" on in your folder settings? If you do, adding .jpg will effectively name it "name.jpg.gif" as the extension is hidden, thus it is still a .gif. If you disable "hide known extensions" and rename it, it should work. The information how to open the file is described in the file's header, the extension is only so the computer know what program to open the file with, the program itself doesn't care what the extension is.

yes i realize that. This is why you upload it to imgur, get the direct link, change it to jpg from gifv and then save it. For some reason when i do that, it saves it with a jpg extension and not a gif extension which then tricks blade and soul into doing that. That's why i included the imgur section since the old way of doing what you said doesnt work anymore (it actually only opens jpg's and not gifs (meaning blade and soul/ the program))

1 hour ago, AkameSatsugai said:

you said doesnt work anymore (it actually only opens jpg's and not gifs (meaning blade and soul/ the program))

I just did mine yesterday so thanks! Actually I used the old method of renaming and it worked for me (but it needs to be under 5MB or it'll say it was unsuccessful).

P.S. You kinda sound like dunkey 

5 hours ago, Brainy said:

Can't you just skip the imgur upload part and rename the file yourself from .gif to .jpg ?

I never bothered making an animated profile image, but some people said it works like that.

I just skipped partof upload on imgur, changed extension on my pc by rename gif to jpg and my portrait pic works fine. 2,5 MB.

5 hours ago, Brainy said:

Can't you just skip the imgur upload part and rename the file yourself from .gif to .jpg ?

I never bothered making an animated profile image, but some people said it works like that.

yeah, should be possible if you have "hide known extension" disabled, as I explained in an earlier post. If you have it enabled, adding .jpg will just rename it to "name.jpg.gif", even if you only see "name.jpg" as the computer hide the extension and the game will just ignore the file.

11 hours ago, Brainy said:

You cant, thats why its uploaded to imgur. For some it works, but for others it doesnt, so i do that just to be safer if you know what i mean XD

14 hours ago, Lemonaide said:

I just did mine yesterday so thanks! Actually I used the old method of renaming and it worked for me (but it needs to be under 5MB or it'll say it was unsuccessful).

P.S. You kinda sound like dunkey 

Its good to hear it worked for you XD

8 hours ago, AkameSatsugai said:

You cant, thats why its uploaded to imgur. For some it works, but for others it doesnt, so i do that just to be safer if you know what i mean XD

I watched your video again to confirm whether you had "hide known extensions" disabled or not, it's not, your files doesn't have any extension, thus it's hidden, thus it doesn't work for you since when you're renaming it, you simply add .jpg before the hidden .gif, and the computer only cares about the last .extension, which is still .gif.

For Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008

1. Start Windows Explorer, you can do this by opening up any folder.
  2. Click Organize.
  3. Click Folder and search options.
  4. Click the View tab.
  5. Scroll down until you notice Hide extensions for known file types, un-check this line by clicking the check box. 
    Note To hide file name extensions, check this line.
  6. Click OK

From Microsoft's own help article, think it's in View -> Options/Settings instead of Organize on Windows 10, otherwise the same.

Now please do this, try to rename it again (and look at those you've tried to rename before, you'll see they now say "name.jpg.gif") and it will work. I've explained it twice already, please don't ignore my explanation a third time :'(

Up to the point when you upload your pic in the game it works. But when i try to upload the profile pic it lags for like 20 seconds and nothing happens. And the gif itself is only 1,7mb

Retried it several times but it wont change :S
I even did one less then 0,5mb and it sais the picture got uploaded... but i dont see it after that

22 hours ago, Yndril said:

I watched your video again to confirm whether you had "hide known extensions" disabled or not, it's not, your files doesn't have any extension, thus it's hidden, thus it doesn't work for you since when you're renaming it, you simply add .jpg before the hidden .gif, and the computer only cares about the last .extension, which is still .gif.

For Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008

1. Start Windows Explorer, you can do this by opening up any folder.
  2. Click Organize.
  3. Click Folder and search options.
  4. Click the View tab.
  5. Scroll down until you notice Hide extensions for known file types, un-check this line by clicking the check box. 
    Note To hide file name extensions, check this line.
  6. Click OK

From Microsoft's own help article, think it's in View -> Options/Settings instead of Organize on Windows 10, otherwise the same.

Now please do this, try to rename it again (and look at those you've tried to rename before, you'll see they now say "name.jpg.gif") and it will work. I've explained it twice already, please don't ignore my explanation a third time :'(

Im not ignoring your explanation lol, im just saying that i know exactly what you're talking about but doing something different lol. I know of doing that too lol, im going to school for software engineering ffs lol,

3 hours ago, AkameSatsugai said:

Im not ignoring your explanation lol, im just saying that i know exactly what you're talking about but doing something different lol. I know of doing that too lol, im going to school for software engineering ffs lol,

Then why on earth do you keep telling people that they should upload to imgur "because the old way of doing it doesn't work", saying it's a necessary step? It's not a necessary step, the only reason it "doesn't work" for you is because you have hide known extensions enabled which either means you do not know what that is or you're deliberately trying to make people upload to imgur for some reason.

You're trying to say it's not the former, which means it would be the latter, and then I ask myself "Why?"

It's not a simpler step, heck, it's a more complicated step. If they don't have an account, they have to make one, then they have to wait for the gif to be uploaded so they can wait for the gif to be downloaded again after renaming it to. jpg. As opposed to change the settings if they haven't already (similar to, but simpler than creating an account), click, rename to .jpg, enter, done.

Do you get revenue for each uploaded picture or something? Or do you simply enjoy making a challenge for yourself (and others)? If it's none of that, the only logical conclusion I can get to is that you're simply ignoring my explanations for the lols (and you lolled quite a lot in your last post).

On 2/5/2016 at 3:36 AM, Yndril said:

Then why on earth do you keep telling people that they should upload to imgur "because the old way of doing it doesn't work", saying it's a necessary step? It's not a necessary step, the only reason it "doesn't work" for you is because you have hide known extensions enabled which either means you do not know what that is or you're deliberately trying to make people upload to imgur for some reason.

You're trying to say it's not the former, which means it would be the latter, and then I ask myself "Why?"

It's not a simpler step, heck, it's a more complicated step. If they don't have an account, they have to make one, then they have to wait for the gif to be uploaded so they can wait for the gif to be downloaded again after renaming it to. jpg. As opposed to change the settings if they haven't already (similar to, but simpler than creating an account), click, rename to .jpg, enter, done.

Do you get revenue for each uploaded picture or something? Or do you simply enjoy making a challenge for yourself (and others)? If it's none of that, the only logical conclusion I can get to is that you're simply ignoring my explanations for the lols (and you lolled quite a lot in your last post).

you done?

Archived