How do the Yun reproduce?

ZiaoFyre

Overall, I stand by my initial theory that procreation of Yun is achieved by Human males fertilizing the Character Creator in order to spawn the fully grown and eternally youthful virtual females in an attempt to bypass the restrictions of the RL grind of the quest chain that is heavily RNG dependent. It literally make take years to get a Human Female.

2 minutes ago, DomiSotto said:

Overall, I stand by my initial theory that procreation of Yun is achieved by Human males fertilizing the Character Creator in order to spawn the fully grown and eternally youthful virtual females in an attempt to bypass the restrictions of the RL grind of the quest chain that is heavily RNG dependent. It literally make take years to get a Human Female.

Interesting theory, but the problem with that one, is it breaks the fourth wall and I don't think BnS could do that well enough for that to be a good explanation.

:p

W/o the Fourth wall, hermaphroditism is an easy and viable explanation that makes Yun a distinct and unusual species, rather than a throw-back to 1970's Startreck style where all aliens are pretty human girls with a couple of make up twists dying to breed with human males.

NCSoft breaks the 4th wall a lot, tbh, and it is hard to say if the game even has one, with a lot of modernisms and RL stuff being in the game particularly in regards to costuming and weaponry.

Edited by DomiSotto

perhaps and im basing this off some thing else perhaps they do get impregnated by some male of another race and return to w/e there home village is the land it self my have magic like properties that always makes are child birth there a female. its the only thing i can make sense of it considering the amount of spirit like energy influence this game has

i wouldnt be surprised if that were to case. cause if anything they would probly be male yun if born out side the home land but im guessing here this topic been reading it for the lore and the comical comments lol.

1 hour ago, DomiSotto said:

W/o the Fourth wall, hermaphroditism is an easy and viable explanation that makes Yun a distinct and unusual species, rather than a throw-back to 1970's Startreck style where all aliens are pretty human girls with a couple of make up twists dying to breed with human males.

NCSoft breaks the 4th wall a lot, tbh, and it is hard to say if the game even has one, with a lot of modernisms and RL stuff being in the game particularly in regards to costuming and weaponry.

You said that it's linked to the character creator :p  That would be the 4th wall break, not them being hermaphrodites. :p

There's also a difference between breaking it with the costumes and breaking it with the actual lore.

Ok, I've been thinking about this Herm idea (& no I didn't hurt anyone in the making of it) so there's a week when everyone looks around and there's no Yun to be found.

That's bc they're in their...urm..season. and half the yun have popped out ermmms..and half are...you know. So that's how they breed with one another.

Disclaimer: if u don't like this theory it was my perverted bf's idea

Fantasy genre often struggles with the distinction between the species and the races, and the opposing desires for having multiple exotic species and satisfying the desire for a viable inter-breeding with the exotic from a mundane human.

For example, in DnD, initially the half-elves were rare sterile wretches denied the elven communal consciousness and hated by humans as an unfortunate product of inter-species cross-fertilization.  That was eventually smoothed over, and elves became real pretty pointy-eared humans with vague reference to a higher philosophical and artistic ideals nobody really gets to see.

Star Wars struggled with a perennial desire to breed humans with twileks (and everything else that moves and have females that can be reasonably appealing to a human male), resulting in endless debates on half-Twileks. Star Wars verse really takes the cake on the whole species creation initiative, so they have it the worst.

Now, in Blade and Soul, Gon and Jin actually feel like races, not species. It’s not hard to see the two interbreeding and producing offsprings.

Lyn are distinctive species.         

Lyns are by the virtue of carrying the animalistic treats (similar to the non-playable species that are bi-pedal, sentient and somewhat antropogenized  monkeys, lizards, wolves, etc. How far the Lyns are genetically removed from Gon and Jin will determine if they can produce viable and non-sterile offsprings.

Yun, unlike Lyn, looks completely human. However, the description says ‘female only’ that may mean either of the two.

Yun may be Human by species, and either Jin or Gon as a race, or a third race, and interbreed with Humans. They then rely on the Human Males of whatever race to reproduce simply practice social customs that either eliminate male offsprings at birth or prevent the formation of a male offspring via magic.

Or, Yun is a separate species that are capable of self-propagating. Which means that they should be capable of parthenogenesis in one of its forms, or be hermaphrodites.

There is an exciting Wiki article on the subject…  To me, androgynous, hermaphrodite species would have been more interesting, but then the Character Creator should have let me put together cool otherworldly androgynous creatures.

Curiously, I suspect that the devs would get more flak for: “OMG, this game is immoral!” if they flat out created an ephemeral sprite-like Hermaphrodite or Parthenogenetic species, then for the suggestion that Yun are really just nubile human gals ripe and ready for human males to fertilize, and they kill off or prevent conception of the male babies, 'cause reasons.

Edited by DomiSotto

I haven't read this whole topic, but while what i did read was interesting, what if the answer is a boring one?

Unless i missed it in the game or lore that the yun are exclusively and absolutely female, what if the Yun ARE a two gender race and the males just arn't playable or mentioned for what ever reason? 

3 minutes ago, Gamer4ever said:

I haven't read this whole topic, but while what i did read was interesting, what if the answer is a boring one?

Unless i missed it in the game or lore that the yun are exclusively and absolutely female, what if the Yun ARE a two gender race and the males just arn't playable or mentioned for what ever reason?

No, the official lore states that it is 'purely female'

https://www.bladeandsoul.com/en/game/races/

Hmm, way too much over thinking about this. I believe I'm gonna have to go with the simplest theory of all:

Yun reproduce via meticulously, carefully measured mouse button led manipulation of various sliders. Followed by the painstaking process of manual keyboard text inputting resulting in a new name for said brand new baby Yun.

Or maybe I'll just go with they're sexy as fuuuu, and who cares.

I'm good with either one.

4 hours ago, Nylisa said:

How do you mean? i mean which part of the lore you are talking about i cant find anything about it :D

If you look at their appearance they have typical outlines of elves: ears and grace in their movements. Sincerely I don't remember if and where I read it but they remind me elves. Anyway I wrote similar, not that they are elves.

I did't pay much attention but I don't remember some Yun or Gon child among NPCs, instead they are always Lyn or Jin. So it's possible Gon and Yun are somewhat related.

4 hours ago, eric11zhao said:

Jin = human (body type based on Caucasian), gon = dragon (body type based on African), lyn = elf (body type based on children), yun = goddess or witch (body type based on Asian)

I don't see Lyn like an elf, mostly they remind me squirrels. 

I haven't great knowledge about far east mythology but I think all races/species are linked to it.

Edited by Majka

8 hours ago, Brand X said:

I thought the easiest explanation was they can breed with any male, they just have more yun.

8 hours ago, Brand X said:

Except this is fiction.  A fiction that like many other fictions has said different species can reproduce with different results.

Superman can breed with Lois Lane.  Two different species.  Max and Miyira bred, they were two different species.  Humans and elves can interbreed.

One just has to decide how it's done with regards to the Yun.  Breeds with all the males but only has more yun, seems the easiest explanation.  Or female is always yun and male offspring is the same as the father, is also easy explanation.

i dont understand what people mean by "easiest" i mean we are not looking for the easiest explanation we looking for something that makes sense based on the given information in their lore which is not much , easiest is not the best as they say xD

5 hours ago, Nylisa said:

i dont understand what people mean by "easiest" i mean we are not looking for the easiest explanation we looking for something that makes sense based on the given information in their lore which is not much , easiest is not the best as they say xD

Well, easiest is just a lack of a better word.  :p  I just happen to like the idea that they can breed with any male and just have another Yun.  :)

39 minutes ago, KhaosThanathan said:

Erm... What about the simple solution of beeing dependent on other races males? I mean: those cute latex-ladies from BSH are Yun and seem to be very fond of their admiral.

Those girls aren't Yun, they're Jin girls, if you look closely to their faces you will notice that they're Jin, also you can easily know that they're Jin by Looking at their body proportions, her bodies are simple as any other Jin, you will notice in milliseconds when you're looking at a Yun, those hips don't lie bruh.

The theory that i had for the yun was that they are kinda like mules. Mules are breed by breeding a horse and a donkey together, and from what i remember i dont think mules themselves can breed to make more mules.

so i like to think that yun are a mix of jin and gon since yun are typically taller than jins but shorter than gons

Edited by Zazie

13 hours ago, Brand X said:

Well, easiest is just a lack of a better word.  :p  I just happen to like the idea that they can breed with any male and just have another Yun.  :)

ah i see now :D , but im still not satisfied with any of the answers i hear or any i think of , myself . i guess i keep looking

10 hours ago, Chibimaru said:

O,O

They lay eggs...

thanks to you i can no longer look at my yun the same way ever again i_i

On April 7, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Balefire said:

Perhaps they craft statues of themselves, as they appeared when they were younger, and when they have aged to a certain point swap their life essence from their aged body to the statue and animate it. Thus perpetuating an immortality cycle. 

I would go with either this one (it does seem quite plausible, since the game states Yun isolate themselves from the world and are masters of art), the one stating them breeding with Gon males (since, well Asian mythology) or with the one that they bloom. Like, take some flower (lotus for example), make it 1000x bigger and when it blooms, a Yun comes out. Have fun with mental pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 10:37 PM, Brand X said:

I like this idea too, and considered the posting of another player about Parthenogenesis; there is a section in Wikipedia on that term that describes a similar phenomena called Gynogenesis. An interesting few lines state:

"A form of asexual reproduction related to parthenogenesis is gynogenesis. Here, offspring are produced by the same mechanism as in parthenogenesis, but with the requirement that the egg merely be stimulated by the presence of sperm in order to develop. However, the sperm cell does not contribute any genetic material to the offspring. Since gynogenetic species are all female, activation of their eggs requires mating with males of a closely related species for the needed stimulus..."

With these ideas in mind, Jin and Gon males would be the most compatible with the Yun, while unions with Lyn males would be unlikely to create offspring. This is probably way more scientific than what the original Yun concept writer envisioned, but it's fun to speculate nonetheless!

4 hours ago, LostGIRL said:

I like this idea too, and considered the posting of another player about Parthenogenesis; there is a section in Wikipedia on that term that describes a similar phenomena called Gynogenesis. An interesting few lines state:

"A form of asexual reproduction related to parthenogenesis is gynogenesis. Here, offspring are produced by the same mechanism as in parthenogenesis, but with the requirement that the egg merely be stimulated by the presence of sperm in order to develop. However, the sperm cell does not contribute any genetic material to the offspring. Since gynogenetic species are all female, activation of their eggs requires mating with males of a closely related species for the needed stimulus..."

With these ideas in mind, Jin and Gon males would be the most compatible with the Yun, while unions with Lyn males would be unlikely to create offspring. This is probably way more scientific than what the original Yun concept writer envisioned, but it's fun to speculate nonetheless!

I get the idea that the writer likely never came up with an idea for this part of Yun lore :)

Oh, cool. I love the article on the Amazon Molly, the one true gynogenetic species:

The Amazon molly reaches sexual maturity one to six months after birth, and typically has a brood between 60 and 100 fry (young) being delivered every 30–40 days. This lends itself to a large potential for population growth as long as host males are present. The wide variability in maturity dates and brood sizes is a result of genetic heritage, varying temperatures, and food availability. They become sexually mature faster and produce larger broods in warm (approximately 80°F) water that provides an overabundance of food

Given that the males in BnS show an uncanny desire to adopt baby girls, I have no problems believing that any Jin or Gon is gonna jump at the chance of hitting a reporoductive jackpot by stimulating a Yun's egg.

Where is the writing team? We have a thread here choke-full of awesome ideas for them to incorporate into the next chapter! Lore galore!!! Completely scientific!

Edited by DomiSotto