Forums

Serious female costumes / sexy male costumes - idea for getting both.

Rahmakapala

Just to add my two cents on the widely spread "sexy" costume debate from the other side of the coin. I play with male characters. However, I am also quite frustrated about the costumes - because outside of male gon, male costumes are very conservative. The costumes often have long coats or baggy pants to cover thighs / buttocks. If something is showing, it's arms / or in few rare cases the abs. I would really, really love to have more sexy / cute variety for male characters. (and yes, before anyone mentions it - I have "my angel" for my jin. It's awesome costume.)

However, if there are players with female character that would prefer conservative baggy pants / long coats, and player with male character that would honestly like to see more skin/ tighter clothes... would it be impossible to remove the gender lock to costumes? Or give non gender locked versions to cash store? 

No, I don't know anything about coding or animation design. However, to give you an example, in Saints Row 4, all the costumes and cosmetic items had no gender lock. It was a game similar to Blade & Soul in that the player had option to adjust the body type to certain decree, and there were a lot of costumes/cosmetic packs you could buy as additions to the game. But like I mentioned, there was no gender lock. I could make a male character and have him wear leggings and tank tops, miniskirts, stockings and what not. However, at the same time my friends had option to dress their female characters into more pragmatic "fighter" look.

As I see it, there are plenty of serious and pragmatic "fighter" costume designs available, but they are for locked for male characters only. (Ofc, there are cute options for lyns). Would it be absolutely out of question to solve 2 issues at the same time? Give the non-sexualized looks for female characters - and the sexy and cute options for male characters, at least through future cash shop items?     

This would be really nice. There are a few male Lyn costumes I'd like on my female Lyn, and a few female Lyn costumes I'd love on my male Lyn. 

It would also expand the wardrobe and give us more things to buy, etc. The latest example would be the Autumn outfit. For every RACE and every class it is different. I'd love to be able to wear the Jin's outfit on my Lyn, but nope. 

I'm a little surprised that people are still caught off guard by this. I have never played an MMO EVER that gave both genders equal design choices and I've played a lot of MMOs (Saints Row is not an MMO, so I don't think it can be used to compare). The males were always really conservative and the females very sexualized. I'm not saying it doesn't need to change, because it does but it's not like it should be expected at this point. As much as I would like sexy outfits for males and conservative ones for females, realistically it's an asian game which our opinion likely won't be heard because this is just a localization, so things will just continue down this path and there's nothing we can really do about it. Even a costume DESIGNED by an NA player was modified to be more "sexy" (quotation marks because it's not really sexy, just kinda ugly on females now no offense to the original artist).

23 minutes ago, SirNox said:

I'm a little surprised that people are still caught off guard by this. I have never played an MMO EVER that gave both genders equal design choices and I've played a lot of MMOs (Saints Row is not an MMO, so I don't think it can be used to compare). The males were always really conservative and the females very sexualized. I'm not saying it doesn't need to change, because it does but it's not like it should be expected at this point. As much as I would like sexy outfits for males and conservative ones for females, realistically it's an asian game which our opinion likely won't be heard because this is just a localization, so things will just continue down this path and there's nothing we can really do about it. Even a costume DESIGNED by an NA player was modified to be more "sexy" (quotation marks because it's not really sexy, just kinda ugly on females now no offense to the original artist).

So basically you are saying, it has been always like this and it suits your needs, so it's out of question to consider, even in small scale?

Like you, I have played MMO games for last 8 years. I have plenty of experience from WoW, ESO, Rift and Tera. I am well aware that in mmo industry, the needs of the large scale target audience guides the majority of content. However, what I am now suggesting (in light of the development team's choise to give the Dark Angel / My Angle costume in cash store) that if they were to make similar choises, two of the minor dissatisfied user groups would get more out of their game experience. This suggestion doesn't take anything from the majority. Instead, it would only give more to those that are left wanting for something more.

What comes to my comparison of Saints Row 4 and Blade & Soul, I was comparing the customization of characters. Regardless of the game type, the costume design and providing additional skins don't have wide ranged effect for the game economy.  

To recap: I am not asking for ALL of the game skins to be made available for all characters. It would be a tall order for minor gain for the NSOFT. However, I am only throwing suggestion to future content / cash store items that are made for US / EU releases. The content like Dark Angel / My Angel, or Back to School costumes. (That costume had the reverse gender option in Korean version. It was possible there to buy sailor fuku for Male character and pants + coat version for females.) If there was non genderlocked versions available, it would be relatively simple solution on how to satisfy the needs of 2 minor customer groups: players that want skimpy/sexy costumes for males and players that want practical, conservative options for female characters.

Expecting everything to be gender neutral would be shooting for the stars, but I do wish there were more unisex outfits.

Its not like I dont get /why/ they do it. I swore to myself that I was going to make all my 3d model outfits unisex.  Remodeled the outfit totally to look for for the oppsite gender.. and hardly got the profit it took for the effort.  But its not like they wouldnt make bank with ANY outfit they made. they can throw a few more bones to us.

It would be nice to have more andro looks.  The My Angel outfit, does not fit in that category. It would be nice to look eliminate without having to straight up wear a mini dress, that I wouldnt even wear on a female.

15 minutes ago, Dowra said:

Expecting everything to be gender neutral would be shooting for the stars, but I do wish there were more unisex outfits.

Its not like I dont get /why/ they do it. I swore to myself that I was going to make all my 3d model outfits unisex.  Remodeled the outfit totally to look for for the oppsite gender.. and hardly got the profit it took for the effort.  But its not like they wouldnt make bank with ANY outfit they made. they can throw a few more bones to us.

It would be nice to have more andro looks.  The My Angel outfit, does not fit in that category. It would be nice to look eliminate without having to straight up wear a mini dress, that I wouldnt even wear on a female.

The androgynous looks would be awesome, yes. To be able to make "effeminate" looking male characters, or tough female characters. Not only in costumes, this would give nice options for other cosmetic accessories. How about having more long hair options for males? Short hair for gals?  Removing the gender lock would bring plenty of options for customizing the characters!

13 minutes ago, Rahmakapala said:

The androgynous looks would be awesome, yes. To be able to make "effeminate" looking male characters, or tough female characters. Not only in costumes, this would give nice options for other cosmetic accessories. How about having more long hair options for males? Short hair for gals?  Removing the gender lock would bring plenty of options for customizing the characters!

Yessss, honestly, I would even be happy if they could take the small step on letting us choose our idle animations, running, and walking animations.  Heck, Id might even take the Lyn female's skipping animation for my male Jin

tumblr_m4m4mzVYCS1rx26m9o3_400.gif

This is the right direction for this topic, tougher looking female costumes and sexier male costumes.  100% on board, have my doubts this can be done unless this was done by the original devs but I like the idea. 

More options for all, not limiting options because some people think it's too sexualized. 

6 hours ago, Rahmakapala said:

So basically you are saying, it has been always like this and it suits your needs, so it's out of question to consider, even in small scale?

Like you, I have played MMO games for last 8 years. I have plenty of experience from WoW, ESO, Rift and Tera. I am well aware that in mmo industry, the needs of the large scale target audience guides the majority of content. However, what I am now suggesting (in light of the development team's choise to give the Dark Angel / My Angle costume in cash store) that if they were to make similar choises, two of the minor dissatisfied user groups would get more out of their game experience. This suggestion doesn't take anything from the majority. Instead, it would only give more to those that are left wanting for something more.

What comes to my comparison of Saints Row 4 and Blade & Soul, I was comparing the customization of characters. Regardless of the game type, the costume design and providing additional skins don't have wide ranged effect for the game economy.  

To recap: I am not asking for ALL of the game skins to be made available for all characters. It would be a tall order for minor gain for the NSOFT. However, I am only throwing suggestion to future content / cash store items that are made for US / EU releases. The content like Dark Angel / My Angel, or Back to School costumes. (That costume had the reverse gender option in Korean version. It was possible there to buy sailor fuku for Male character and pants + coat version for females.) If there was non genderlocked versions available, it would be relatively simple solution on how to satisfy the needs of 2 minor customer groups: players that want skimpy/sexy costumes for males and players that want practical, conservative options for female characters.

Not sure where you got that the way it is now suits my needs. In my post I even said that I think we needed outfit equality for each gender, but I guess you didn't read it. Heck, I even made my female lyn a male for those reasons because the females had a somewhat creepy outfit selection. I'm just surprised when people act like it's so outrageous that outfits in games are like this, when all MMOs have this although most to a lesser degree than this game. I'm also being realistic, it aint gonna change because most people don't want it and even if people did, how do we get the korean devs/designers to listen? Because ultimately it's up to them. Let's not forget it also takes resources, time and money to make outfits fit both genders even if it's the same design. 

Edit: Figured I should add that when I made my first post your thread had a different title. So it kinda seemed like this thread was a complaint which it doesn't at all now, it just seems like constructive feedback that will likely get ignored because it's made by NA/EU ;-;

Yaas. I want my male characters to be sexy as well. The current outfits seem a little... lackluster.

The best sexy outfit they have currently is dark sandstorm and stinger (pinchy). 

I am really considering buying the White Dragon outfit as well because it accentuates the muscles on the male Gon, and I love the colour itself.

On a somewhat related note, I am also tempted to buy My Angel for my Gon... :x

4 hours ago, SirNox said:

Not sure where you got that the way it is now suits my needs. In my post I even said that I think we needed outfit equality for each gender, but I guess you didn't read it. Heck, I even made my female lyn a male for those reasons because the females had a somewhat creepy outfit selection. I'm just surprised when people act like it's so outrageous that outfits in games are like this, when all MMOs have this although most to a lesser degree than this game. I'm also being realistic, it aint gonna change because most people don't want it and even if people did, how do we get the korean devs/designers to listen? Because ultimately it's up to them. Let's not forget it also takes resources, time and money to make outfits fit both genders even if it's the same design. 

Edit: Figured I should add that when I made my first post your thread had a different title. So it kinda seemed like this thread was a complaint which it doesn't at all now, it just seems like constructive feedback that will likely get ignored because it's made by NA/EU ;-;

I did read your post and drew my conclusions on your tone, the same way you did from my original tittle attempt. However, this thread is intended to be about constructive criticism. Also, while you claim that only thing NSOFT is doing for US / EU version is localization, that is not quite true. In addition to the translation, some of the Blade & Soul quest lines have been adjusted / entirely rewritten to be better suited for western audiences. For example discussed here: 

In addition to that, I am assuming we have gotten few costumes that Korea, Japan and China don't have, eg. the fan designed contest winners Night Luna / Regium Corvus.

Also, when I was browsing the Korean costume selection a while ago I didn't see the Dark Angel / My Angel in there, not in identical version - so I am assuming that NSOFT is adjusting some additional items they offer in cash store. Speaking of Korean costumes, I did see there school girl costume for males / school boy costume for females, and bunny girl costume also made available for males. If you wanna see them, I looked them up here: http://bns.inven.co.kr/dataninfo/gallery/

So what I am saying is that obviously NSOFT is doing more than translation of the original to better appeal the US / EU target audience. And if that is the case, I am hoping that if we, the fans can make our voice heard - maybe they would be willing to give us a small bone? Even if it's only in the cash store items? 

@Rahmakapala I actually had a whole response typed out, but eh I figured since you don't really care for a differing opinion and still ignore the fact I about what I said (which has nothing to do with tone) that I would just forget it. Was just expressing my opinion which was largely based of a thread that has since been changed so it doesn't matter now.

58 minutes ago, SirNox said:

@Rahmakapala I actually had a whole response typed out, but eh I figured since you don't really care for a differing opinion and still ignore the fact I about what I said (which has nothing to do with tone) that I would just forget it. Was just expressing my opinion which was largely based of a thread that has since been changed so it doesn't matter now.

You can freely express your opinion. It's your right. What comes to thread that has been changed, I only adjusted the tittle. Nothing more. The other content is and has stayed the same.

From the get go, I have only spoken about one single thing. The fact that Blade and Soul has a plenty of pre-existing cosmetic items, both costumes and hairstyles, sunglasses, helmets, and other additions that could be made available with minimal effort to be used by both genders, and thus would satisfy the needs of two minor customer groups. 

12 hours ago, Dowra said:

Yessss, honestly, I would even be happy if they could take the small step on letting us choose our idle animations, running, and walking animations.  Heck, Id might even take the Lyn female's skipping animation for my male Jin

tumblr_m4m4mzVYCS1rx26m9o3_400.gif

Zhang He is a god, I agree, please let us make hiiiim!

@Rahmakapala Your thread title was very different and didn't really match your initial post which is why I say the thread was different. I can't recall exactly what it said though. Like it or not, the thread title is part of the post and will be included as such when people reply. Anyways, this is off-topic and I don't really feel like trying to make my point anymore so I'll be leaving this thread now.

• 1 month later...
On 2016/1/31 at 4:56 AM, Dowra said:

You're very right, these clothes can make female characters more “sexy”.

Seeing sexy male characters or conservative female characters wouldn't put a damper in my experience. If that's what floats your boat, then I'd be happy if everyone's happy, so I don't see why not.

The Saints Row thing was kind of a bad comparison though. First, NCSoft doesn't really have as big of a say as many think. Second, being able to body-morph costumes to fit into a character creation slider would not make something wearable by both genders. It is not as simple as that. 

Not really against it, just wanted to clarify that. Hope this is a thing. While I as a male am not going to complain about seeing ass and tits everywhere, I would like a costume that wasn't so sexualized. There are a fair few, but it's not really a good option when the better ones are hard to obtain, and the obtainable ones are meh

Archived