Warning: Dungeon Loot Bidding Scamming Explained

Heretik76

We are intrigued species indeed. We learned more than anything to profit from other, i guess that's the way to success for people. Why i start like this?

This bidding system, have a sense of fairness. It lies in the fact that the money spend by the highest bidder are shared among the remaining party. The downside? The richer player gets what he wants, always.

Were the scam comes into play. As with any magic trick, it happens right before your eyes. Someone will start discussing something...oh let's say "Achievements", or any kind of conversation while the bidding happens. Thus far all looks innocent. Suddenly as you are drawn into the discussion and the bid is still in the amount of Copper only, it bursts to gold and you kept pressing "Y"...Something that you know worth no more than a few silver, you have to pay it for gold! Yet, is it a scam? The argument will go, "...so you know if u quit the party or leave the instance, it forfeits..." and so on. Alright. Yet, they know the price of the item, thus they do scam people who are naive enough, or, innocent enough. 

I just wanted to let people know, cause it's a fairly simple scam, thus, fairly easy to fall into it. 

So... basically what you're telling me is, you weren't paying attention and you dun goofed.

Pay attention and don't mash Y like a mongoloid and it's fine. I think it's great, spreads the wealth around, if someone with 50g wants to bid 50g on the item I'm *cricket*in happy to let him have it, win and you get the item lose and you get $$

I wait until 1-2 seconds left for every bid. There is no reason to bid before that. Here is a little tip I learned from the scammers who bid 1g. They never pay if no one takes their bait. They always leave group to avoid paying. It works both ways.

21 hours ago, Heretik76 said:

We are intrigued species indeed. We learned more than anything to profit from other, i guess that's the way to success for people. Why i start like this?

This bidding system, have a sense of fairness. It lies in the fact that the money spend by the highest bidder are shared among the remaining party. The downside? The richer player gets what he wants, always.

Were the scam comes into play. As with any magic trick, it happens right before your eyes. Someone will start discussing something...oh let's say "Achievements", or any kind of conversation while the bidding happens. Thus far all looks innocent. Suddenly as you are drawn into the discussion and the bid is still in the amount of Copper only, it bursts to gold and you kept pressing "Y"...Something that you know worth no more than a few silver, you have to pay it for gold! Yet, is it a scam? The argument will go, "...so you know if u quit the party or leave the instance, it forfeits..." and so on. Alright. Yet, they know the price of the item, thus they do scam people who are naive enough, or, innocent enough. 

I just wanted to let people know, cause it's a fairly simple scam, thus, fairly easy to fall into it. 

So it's your own damn fault?

When bid start just pass what u dont need in second window and bid on smthing what u need and pay attention on it and u wont be scamed.

P.s. ; this bidding system sucks big time couse free to play ppl (not richie) comes hard to item so i would reather have roll system like all mmo's

@Witcher82: I think this bidding system is much more fair than standard roll system. Imagine situation that you're farming some rare drop. Then when it drops someone will take it just because he gets better roll. Next time you will have same chance of winning the roll as the first time. In auction system you still can get overbid but at least you get fair compensation for it and that increases your chances of winning auction next time.

You can get everything you really need for progressing your character from the dynamic quest rewards so it's not like that you absolutely have to win it in bid auctions.

About the scamming... system gives 15s time for next bid and there is absolutely nothing to gain from spaming bids so maybe just use that time.

Its your freaking damn fault not watching where bid goes. Blame urself not game. You've 10 seconds before bid is won by someone and if you cant check current bid in 10 seconds crave your eyeballs out and go buy new ones.

Like i said its your fault! Not games not someone who put that 1g or what ever price. Its YOURS and YOURS only. Blame urself

Moral of the story: pay attention instead of mindlessly spamming the Y button.

The only reason people would sit spamming the bid button would be to get past the "copper stage" of the bidding, which can easily be skipped by a player manually bidding 1 or more silver. Always pay attention to the current bid before clicking Y, you have 15 sec to do this for a reason.

Worst case: You dun goofed and fell for the trap. What do you do? Leave the party before the countdown goes down, or before everyone passes. That way the bid will fail and you won't lose your money, although you will miss out on the rest of the loot of course.

On 31/01/2016 at 9:23 AM, Heretik76 said:

We are intrigued species indeed.

there is a very simple method to NOT ever get scammed like this 

ready ?  you're not gonna like it 

step 1  get into dungeon 

step 2 decide how much item x is worth for you ,i mean it 

step 3 when item x drops, bid how much you think you'll give for it, we all kinda know the value of most things by now

step 4 stop bloody wasting 5 of my minutes in every bloody dungeon at every bloody boss  in COPPER "bidwarslolxd" especially on craft items that everyone and their dog knows sells for silvers+

step 5 if you bid what you decided is the max you'll give for item x , you won't be spamming that "yaaaaaawn coppers still"  Y button and get scammed 

capisci ? 

I think the scam is only possible, because the way the auction thing is build is flawed. It's based around 6 people hammering the Y button till a reasonable price is reached.

Yes, we can enter digits, but that's were the flaws come to light: It takes such a damn long time compared to a need and greed system. Some people do not understand that pressing Y is not equal to "I need this" and press N immediately. Also these auctions popup mid fight, you are trying to spam you skills and still figure out what to bid on, I find myself often to press Y just to prolong my time I can take a closer on it. Also the window is totally user unfriendly... you need to click into the field and enter a number and hope noone has bid a higher number meanwhile. Also you can't shorten the confirmation of the bid sum by pressing Y (does ENTER? Will have to give it a try). I think there needs to be a more reasonable way to push the auction to "normal level". Something like "greed for upgrade material, push to auction to 10c" and "need, I will start immediately at 1s" (as example for my last in the level 36 instance). It also happened there I payed 1s30c for cheap upgrade material due to a "Y combo" and some "scammer".

Archived