Surviving Blackwyrm[Guide]

Yuma

Stride/Lîe is here spreading the teachings of RomeoVK

Also I don't know which PvE section this should go in.. >.<

A lot of people when they see the ‘’Killing the dragon CH x’’ message in the faction chat, they just jump at it without knowing what the hell its going on and they fail miserably. 

At the end of the fight they don’t get the reward box because they didn’t do enough damage, obviously because they kept dying over and over AND OVER AGAIN.
So, Im gonna try to do a quick and simple guide How to SURVIVE the Dragon.

• .       Learning the Dragon’s Rotation
The dragon 4 moves + the Roar:
-          Poison SHORT (semi-melee)
-          Poison LONG (Range)
-          Stomp (melee but with huge AoE)
-          Bite (melee)
-          ROAR (same size as Hawaii)

•         Count to 7 !!!
Yes, that’s it. After seven moves the dragon will ROAR and the order of those moves it’s this:
ROAAAARRR
>poison LONG
>Stomp
>poison short
>Bite
>poison Long
>stomp
>poison Short
ROAAAAARRR
After these 7 moves you need to use an I-FRAME cuz the ROAR does A LOT OF DAMAGE, it could 1 shot you if you don’t have enough hp pool. This IFRAME will dodge the damage but not the Groggy/dazed status so be ready with that BACKROLL or TAB escape.

• .       Poke that butt. Position yourself in the raid.
The best place to DPS the dragon it’s exactly in its tail; that’s because the player holding aggro will tank the melee attacks and dodge the poison attacks so you need to stay in the opposite place that him/her. Keep in mind that the Stomp AoE its really big, and if you are not in the center (right where the tail is) you will get hit by it.

• .       Spec for the Raid
Well, nothing too fancy here. The only thing you need its basic DPS/pve moves and AT LEAST 2 I-FRAMES moves to dodge the ROAR. I’d recommend spec into HP recovery, in case you get hit by the stomp. Forget about CC moves, tho.

•         Summoner Issue
The only problem with this guide is new SUMMONERS. Why? Because they snare/root the Dragon. This means the dragon will stop attacking and that will mess up the rotation. The only thing you can do in this case it is pay attention to the moves: the ROAR always comes after a ‘Poison Short’, so be ready. 
If you see a lot of poison in the ground just get the heck out of there and wait till someone get the aggro again

Thanks for this. I never figured out whether there was a visual cue for incoming roar or what... it seems that there's not, but you simply dive in with iframes after his seventh thingy?

I would like to add that if you have a decent ping - by that I mean I don't actually know my ping, but with eu germany standard servers for 99% of eu games, it's 40-70 for me - you can simply do the iframe ability when you see the wave. Now, it seems strange because the wave is pretty much instant, but what will happen is, you will see red, press whatever button you need, go "ah, I got screwed" in your head, but your character will actually do a perfect iframe evasion into the wave.

I did it yesterday or the day before, I think I dodged like 20+ roars in a row without ANY idea when they happen (I did skip some of them, as in, went to eat dumplings because I was poisoned etc). And I am not that good in reflexes department either. So, something about mechanics allows you to have some grace period, obviously (I apologize if I'm saying some common knowledge, just giving my 2c).

After that when I fought blackwyrm, I was hit with every single one of his roars and I mean every single one. There were a lot more people though and thus I blame it on the lag.

tl;dr - if you maintain a "ready steady" awareness and dive in with iframes as soon as you see the wave, you will avoid it.

About the dazed status - I don't recall being affected in any way when iframing his roar? Might be my memory, though.

10 minutes ago, Asuka said:

Thanks for this. I never figured out whether there was a visual cue for incoming roar or what... it seems that there's not, but you simply dive in with iframes after his seventh thingy?

I would like to add that if you have a decent ping - by that I mean I don't actually know my ping, but with eu germany standard servers for 99% of eu games, it's 40-70 for me - you can simply do the iframe ability when you see the wave. Now, it seems strange because the wave is pretty much instant, but what will happen is, you will see red, press whatever button you need, go "ah, I got screwed" in your head, but your character will actually do a perfect iframe evasion into the wave.

I did it yesterday or the day before, I think I dodged like 20+ roars in a row without ANY idea when they happen (I did skip some of them, as in, went to eat dumplings because I was poisoned etc). And I am not that good in reflexes department either. So, something about mechanics allows you to have some grace period, obviously (I apologize if I'm saying some common knowledge, just giving my 2c).

After that when I fought blackwyrm, I was hit with every single one of his roars and I mean every single one. There were a lot more people though and thus I blame it on the lag.

tl;dr - if you maintain a "ready steady" awareness and dive in with iframes as soon as you see the wave, you will avoid it.

About the dazed status - I don't recall being affected in any way when iframing his roar? Might be my memory, though.

Thanks for the feedback!

and I assume its from doing this a lot. I'll have to check the exact time frame in which the roar happens.

Also it gets messed up because of summoners sometime, but after the 7 move you should be ready to move at that slight movement the dragon makes to roar.

It'll take a few tries of course but it'll become second nature :3

Archived