Story/bad revenge

Ashley7Cz

• 1 year later...

Nope. There is no choice. Your character just instantly decides to be evil for no adequate reason. This is called bad railroading and Blade and Soul is full of it. I have to assume that this was the direct result of problems during development where either senior writers were let go/quit or there was a large change in NC Soft's senior management who wanted to push for an impossible change of direction in the game halfway through development resulting in the jury rigged mess of a story we have now. I'm not talking about the unimportant differences between the Korean game and our English translation, I am talking about such ridiculousness as our character deciding to work with Yonkai to help him acquire Mushin's legacy instead of punching his face in simply because some alcoholic who kills guys in funny clothes for a living told us that isn't the way of Hongmoon.

- You spend a full three chapters, trying to deal with this taint on your soul, stumbling on the way, but with the words of Master Hong reaching out to you at every step:  "don't give in to your hate, stay good".  You flood yourself with good Chi like an addict who's found an entire warehouse of cocaine.  You can taste purple and high-five at least three Jesuses, by the end of chapter three, is what I'm saying.

At this point, Bayonetta's boyfriend, Palpatine (Mushin) shows up.  He offers you a "choice": "arbitrarily become evil now and throw it all away, rendering the entire two previous chapters UTTERLY POINTLESS and completely upend the entire concept of a character arc, or...oh, wait, nobody wrote the other choice, so that's it, really".

While all your friends' ghosts are saying "dude, don't do it!", your character just basically shrugs, says "Welp...guess I'm evil, now!  Where's the room full of Jedi younglings?"

Then, thus far, the game plot basically ends.  All that remains is to go to Palpatine, and train in the royal meat grinder that is his tower.  Just add heavy breathing and such.

Archived