Is the game slowly dying?

JSY

This is a problem with MOST mmorpgs, the bots and gold spammers generally are getting 'easier' and easier to manage their activities to the point where it's actually harder and cost more money to fix or secure.

We are getting better hardware for computing and is innovating every year, so it makes it 'easier' to do what is already done, in a more efficient way.

Security on the other hand, is not a element that is re-innovated each year. A encryption algorithm is as good as it's unique setup, but after several years, people will crack it, since new and better hardware with better 'capabilities' for hacking and such.

If anything, the innovation each year only increases the 'resistance' to DDOS and such, but does nothing to the prime security flaws that games has...

And that is trusting clients too much.

If a server needs to sync it's game properly, it has to give up more trust to the client to make information flow more freely without issues.

Planetside 2 is actually a massive 'client sided' shooter, they get hackers all the time that they ban, but can't get rid of completely because of that one huge flaw in their designs.

Games like World of Tanks, War Thunder, and such, utilizes server trust infrastructures so it requires a very powerful server to transmit and stream data, live, to all the participating players, to reduce security flaws. You get tons of complaints about hackers in shooters that are action oriented, but very little proof that they exist other than simple aim botting (which is useless in some cases) in games like WoT, and War Thunder.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, good one! The game is actually dying too fast and its obvious.

And it has to do with problems NCSOFT could of avoided from the start, not the game itself. By this game alone NCSOFT is losing their reputation as respectable company, reminds me more of some private servers.

Just now, Lifesong said:

This game is slowly dying. I am slowly dying. You are slowly dying too.

More seriously, MMOs always settle down after launch. The crazy queues rarely last more than a week or two at most. When they do it's a sign of poor management.

Actually, if consider that hype always makes the population fluctuates, the low stable average population is generally better.

Unless NCGames wants to invest in top of the line servers like EVE has.

14 minutes ago, Szilerini said:

Yeah its dying, I dont think that 6 new servers have anything to do with smaller queues in other servers. For sure the game is dying so quit playing while you still can or you will die togheter with the game.

Ah yes, I love the smell of sarcasm in the morning :D

This is correct though, the reason the qeueu's get smaller is because of more servers being introduced, people get autokicked after being AFK for too long, ... The game is probably years away from dying, like most of NCsoft's games.

On a side note: Bring back Exteel!

It's anything but dying, the queues have gone down because of the removal of gold spammers, and people can't stay AFK in game for days at a time to queue dodge and keep a slot on the server. That's why you're seeing lower queues, i'm levelling an alt right now and seeing plenty of players in every area i go to.

Meh, they prolly just changed server, its not smart to stay on a server with hours of queue when you can join another server with less to no queue, unless you play with a group of friends and want to stick there till everything  gets smoother. Also bots being massively removed and weekdays helps to lower that queue. And the fact that some were just trying the game but not planing on staying/dont want to stay also affects.

Jeez, if a game doesnt have queue doesnt mean its dying. Its just the overflow of players stopping.

Anyways if you really like those queues, wait till tomorrow and you will have your fun lol.

Just now, Malvictus said:

It's anything but dying, the queues have gone down because of the removal of gold spammers, and people can't stay AFK in game for days at a time to queue dodge and keep a slot on the server. That's why you're seeing lower queues, i'm levelling an alt right now and seeing plenty of players in every area i go to.

In F2P games, having more than 1000 players active is considered a 'stable' number, especially if it's regional based.

Considering that BnS has competition and there are other games that NcSoft makes and manages, that number is the best possible range because those are your dedicated playerbase.

It's important to develop, improve, and work on the game with the 'dedicated' playerbase in mind. Not the massive minorities in foreign regions that has different outlooks or views to yours.

16 minutes ago, LadyLuxuria said:

There is a LOT driving people from the game. the absurd cost of cosmetics that aren't account wide, the slew of long maintenance, and the myriad of gold spammers just to name a few.

That in itself is kind of absurd. It always sucks when cosmetics cost $15 or $20, but have you guys never played an mmorpg before? They always run from $15 to $20 and are never account-wide, unfortunately. Including AION and TERA. They actually only cost $15 here. The problem is that through Blade and Soul we aren't given more NCoin amount options, so we're forced to pay $20. That's the problem here. But even then it's not like you can't save the extra 400 coins to use later on. And you don't HAVE to buy anything off the shop. 

Gold spamming too. It's been in just about every single game that's ever launched in the last 10 years. rofl. The only game I haven't seen being gold spammed anymore is WoW. FFXIV is pay to play and they still have spammers. Give them time, I'm sure they'll find a way to at least get it toned down.

Anyway, I don't think "dying" is a thing for this game, I guess it would depend on how much americans like to pvp. There are a lot of people at high level who thoroughly enjoy it. It'll be enough to keep things going well.

1 minute ago, KaiserxKai said:

In F2P games, having more than 1000 players active is considered a 'stable' number, especially if it's regional based.

Considering that BnS has competition and there are other games that NcSoft makes and manages, that number is the best possible range because those are your dedicated playerbase.

It's important to develop, improve, and work on the game with the 'dedicated' playerbase in mind. Not the massive minorities in foreign regions that has different outlooks or views to yours.

Yeah, i play a lot of f2p games and as long as the playerbase is large / active enough to be able to take part in any required activities in game without struggling to find players i don't see any issues.  There's doom and gloom posts with every game these days, this post feels extremely premature though.

Just now, Etheriea said:

That in itself is kind of absurd. It always sucks when cosmetics cost $15 or $20, but have you guys never played an mmorpg before? They always run from $15 to $25 and are never account-wide, unfortunately. Including AION and TERA. They actually only cost $15 here. The problem is that through Blade and Soul we aren't given more NCoin amount options, so we're forced to pay $20. That's the problem here. But even then it's not like you can't save the extra 400 coins to use later on. And you don't HAVE to buy anything off the shop. 

Gold spamming too. It's been in just about every single game that's ever launched in the last 10 years. rofl. The only game I haven't seen being gold spammed anymore is WoW. FFXIV is pay to play and they still have spammers. Give them time, I'm sure they'll find a way to at least get it toned down.

Anyway, I don't think "dying" is a thing for this game, I guess it would depend on how much americans like to pvp. There are a lot of people at high level who thoroughly enjoy it. It'll be enough to keep things going well.

NCSoft isn't that experienced at giving players a great value for their services, compared to publishers with longer history of value (though it comes with some bad history as well)...

Nexon, while hated by the many 'generic' users who 'says what someone else said' is actually pretty fair in their pricing and in some games, they give away stuff almost all the time.

Mabinogi is a great example of this... To fix the whole 'economy' getting ballooned to the point of expensive items, they simply decided to spoil players to keep them engaged rather than to keep having to put an effort to keep them in the game. If a fair number of valued items are available for 'free' but paid in time playing the game, they make their money back serving these players to stay rather than charging a fee for content.

You need to look at it from a different stand point.

If more players stay, they become the element that paying players will buy and use their paid content on. People buy cosmetics to show off, but if there is no active playerbase, then why bother showing off?

I don't think it's dying, I am new so I don't know much, but I read they changed the capacity of the servers, then if you add the fight with bots they started, the transfer char option thing and adding a few more servers ... I don't think the game is dying at all. Also, there are lot of people who I am sure, tried the game on the release and then just forgot about it or are waiting for the queues to disappear or at least lessen a bit.

4 minutes ago, KaiserxKai said:

Actually, if consider that hype always makes the population fluctuates, the low stable average population is generally better.

Unless NCGames wants to invest in top of the line servers like EVE has.

I am sorry, I am not sure what you are trying to say. I'm sure NCsoft benefit from having tons of customers and they have been quick to deal with the initial growth of the game. I don't know what they are doing for server space or technology, but I expect they can condense and expand the number of servers they have live as needed.

Just now, Valmik said:

I don't think it's dying, I am new so I don't know much, but I read they changed the capacity of the servers, then if you add the fight with bots they started, the transfer char option thing and adding a few more servers ... I don't think the game is dying at all. Also, there are lot of people who I am sure, tried the game on the release and then just forgot about it or are waiting for the queues to disappear or at least lessen a bit.

At least NCSoft is 'trying' something, which can appeal to dedicated players in that case.

Actually taking the fight to 'criminals' (yes botting to spam gold selling links, to make a profit technically could be criminal in a way, you are trying to make money off of a game you don't literally own, using the publisher's own distribution networks for your own benefits).

2 minutes ago, Lifesong said:

I am sorry, I am not sure what you are trying to say. I'm sure NCsoft benefit from having tons of customers and they have been quick to deal with the initial growth of the game. I don't know what they are doing for server space or technology, but I expect they can condense and expand the number of servers they have live as needed.

NCSoft is appealing to long term fans and dedicated players, not to minorities or people outside of the regions that are trying to get their ways with them.

Believe me when I say that a lot of users on the internet these days acts like almost everything should be given to them on a gold platter.

I've been keeping track of the gaming communities and in 2015, a lot of NA playerbases who were commonly at large several years ago, most likely stopped playing games in generals as they are much older now and has actual real life commitments or responsibilities.

In exchange, you see a sudden growth in European, Eurasian, or generally Eastern gaming communities, at a young age, possibly due to the public now having a 'better' access to the internet, maybe finally having better internet speeds to actually start playing mmo outside of their region, but isn't satisfied with the f2p games around them.

37 minutes ago, JSY said:

There were about 2000+ non premium in que in the beginning in Poharan server . Got my premium membership and it expired a couple days ago but there's no lineup at all as non premium member now. Are people getting bored of this game already? I wanted to get a 30 day premium membership but kinda hesitant to get it now.

Pro tip : People work during the weekdays.

Archived