CPU Recommendations

Aluvis

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recommending an AMD chip at this present moment is essentially like recommending a smog era V8 over a Modern Turbo i4. 

It just doesn't make sense , They give less power even when overclocked and consume FAR more power than the Intel equivalent. 

AMD cpus are cheap because they are inefficient low IPC power hogs. Literally, this is the reason they are priced so low. You even have to make sure the motherboard has enough VRMs(essentially wattage capacity) to handle a behemoth like a 9590 its crazy. Once you start overclocking it... well... stock TDP goes out the window.  The 220w TDP is too high for most boards and as such youll be spending a pretty penny just getting a compatible motherboard. While a $50 B85 mobo will support a haswell i7!  You could buy an i7-4790 and motherboard for the same money as an FX-9590 + mobo..... LOL

I mean if you are wanting to actually heat up a bedroom(It WILL do this) an AMD cpu might be for you. 

Im all for competition between Intel and AMD but I am a realist and a $200 i5 is a better value every time. I got an i5-4590 for $125 at Jet.com after discounts and Amex offer and its a much better value than any AMD crap including a space heater $240 FX 9590. 

11 hours ago, shadowzephyr said:

Nice, you already have the optimal hard drive and RAM. :) So just focus on upgrading the motherboard and CPU only.

Hows your budget on upgrading? The priority is always CPU + motherboard, however you need to consider balancing the upgrades with your GPU as well. Although AMD HD7800 is a top tier at its time and provide no issue on giving decent graphics, this series is quite an old GPU. Even if you can afford for, let say, Intel Core i7 6700, that's really waste your money in overall since the GPU will bottleneck. Unless you plan to upgrade in stages (CPU + mobo first, GPU later), its better to buy the best CPU for your AMD HD7800 series. High end AMD FX series or any Intel Core i5 4th gen will do.

In short, The recommendation is not changed, but I can assume dropping the A10 6800K, RAM upgrades, SSD and Intel 6th options:

1. Buy AM3+ motherboard + FX-8350 or better 
2. Buy socket 1150 motherboard + Core i5 4460 or better

3. Buy socket 1150 motherboard + Core i7 4790 first, and upgrade the graphics later (at least AMD R9 280x or GTX 970 to match)

Please remember that even Blade and Soul is CPU dependant, upgrading PC is not for Blade and Soul only, consider other games / apps as well (unless that's your PC only purpose) :)

I'm lazy to participate in AMD + Intel wars like some of you guys. But please, stay on the topic. Simply telling "this CPU is good, those are bad" and so on are not helping the thread starter, but instead showing your stupidity.

And last but not least, this is Blade and Soul we're talking about. Very poor in gaming optimization, majorly because of using old DX9 and UE3. That's why even the powerful PC (i7-6700k processor, 3000MHz DDR4, GTX Titan X) can touch even 13 fps due to the game poor performance and stability (link here). Blame the game and developer, not the CPUs and specs.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations and staying on topic. I've been feeling that my system is getting a little behind for awhile now. I just needed BnS to confirm it lol.

11 hours ago, ScarletAcacia said:

First of all, your anchor will be your GPU after CPU, but put that aside for a second.

As for your questions:

Q1: (not 100% certain) DX 9, probably. With DX11 and the upcoming DX12, the extra cores can be utilized and you will see a performance gain.

Q2: I don't really get this question. Loading time is usually based on your HDD/SSD; and obviously faster disk loads faster. Gameplay, however, takes into consideration of basically every component of your system, but just to simplify the most effective boosts: RAM speed, CPU performance (since faster doesn't mean better), and GPU performance. Those are the most easy ones to tweak with (overclock).

Q3: Even if you are not gaming, a big yes. You might not want to get a part that is old or will be considered old soon. Quad-core processors(let's not talk about 6 and 8 and more cores for the sake of this thread) will have a noticeable boost in speed and basically every way unless you use programs that utilize single/duel core speed like AutoDesk.

Q4: I'd say if you are planning on Intel i-series, get the latest one which is Skylake since they use LGA 1151 socket which will be the socket type for the 7th gen; just a bit future proof. If you are not considering spending 500 bucks on Skylake, i7-4790k and i5-4690k are probably the best. Personally I'd go for i7 because DX12 is coming out. 

If you are planning an AMD cpu, go for FX-series. They are cheap but still runs well, not to mention the boosts when overclocked. FX-series don't have integrated GPU (so all power is for CPU) in them but since you have a discrete video card (or the one you mentioned is in APU?) that's not a big deal. Check CPU Benchmark too see what CPU you like. 

Now, the next problem you'll face is probably the GPU. I had a HD7850 overclocked (I cranked to voltage to the max, not a good thing to do but anyway, I got good speed outta that and it still works after 3 years), still when running some GPU heavy maps the stuttering was really bad, and because of that I got myself a 980ti as Christmas present to celebrate the launch of BnS.

Edit:

Oh, another thing popped into my mind, and it's my biased opinion, please don't take it very seriously. I wouldn't get AMD A-series; had one (A10-5800k), it was probably not so good that every time I tried to push its speed, it just didn't. Plus it wasn't powerful enough to handle BnS, and you probably don't want a integrated GPU in your CPU taking up its power unless you don't have a discrete video card.

Thanks for answering my questions. Yes, my GPU is integrated, so I'm guessing that's half the problem :P

On ‎29‎.‎01‎.‎2016 at 1:01 PM, Yxion said:

If you say so. Have fun spending $800 extra for the word Intel.

Yeah we all got it that u have 9590 and u have zero knowledge about computers ... Why? Because only idiot gonna recommend for mmorpg old 8350(if its surprise to u 9590 is nothing like 8350 that overlocked to the MAX), which is  overlocked to 5.0ghz and eating 220WWATS// Yes intel performing better in any mmorpg and please don't link ur synthetic benchmarks that do nothing with real gaming and mmorpgs.

Here is good example why amd is bad for mass pvp / raids and mmorpg stuff , Also Aluvis u don't need i7 and well all depends on your budget.

I saw someone also said that unreal engine 3.0 doesn't need good cpu which is also wrong.. Yes it needs good cpu more than gpu its most unoptimized trash engine that I ever saw TERA is good example,in BnS its optimized a lot better but still go kill Blackwyrm with all ur faction on ultra details with all settings on and tell me how u get ur 60/120fps  (All mmorpgs always was CPU demanding games )

• 2 months later...

hey guys need some solutions here,i've been playing bns with low setting graph but why it's still delayed/freeze when im going grand harvest/faction mission even in normal quest still laggy im running with 1920x1080p

i5 4460 3.2GHz (no oc)

h81m-e33 msi

zotac gtx 960 2gb ddr5

corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600

wdc blue 1tb

run on windows 10 pro 64bit

any suggestion what's missing here @@

Do yourself a favor and stay far away from AMD and their 'crappy for gaming' processors. My last 2 builds were AMD and my current build is Intel. I'll tell you now that I'll NEVER remotely consider AMD again as the performance compared to Intel is night and day. 

Take my advice. Intel is worth the extra money.

I would also consider installing Blade & Soul on a SSD as the much shorter load times make it worthwhile. 

My build...

CASE: NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT Red Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

CPU: Intel i5 4690K 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

GPU: MSI GTX 970 

MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5

MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3

SSD: Intel 535 240GB SATA III (OS/Programs)

SSD 2: Intel 520 120GB SATA III (Games)

HDD 1: Western Digital 2TB 7200 RPM (Media)

HDD 2: Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM (Games)

HDD 3: Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM (BackUp)

OPTICAL DRIVE: SONY Black Blu-ray Burner 12X

PSU: Antec High Current Gamer Series 900W

DISPLAY: Panasonic 50" Plasma 1080p HDTV

NETWORK ADAPTER: TP-LINK Dual Band N900

FANS: 140MM (x1), 120MM (x3), 200MM (x2)

KEYBOARD: Logitech G13 & Logitech Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard K810

MOUSE: Razer Naga Epic Chroma

HEADSET: Logitech G930

I have i7-4770 , Asus H87 motherboard, 8Gig+ DDR3 RAM, 980TI, all drives SSD. Monitor is g-sync 144Mhz Windows 10.

In non crowded areas I am satisfied with performance(arena 120fps, non-crowded outdoor 70+). I am looking for improvement in crowded areas/battles. With optimized for combat settings and hidden players I still drop below g-sync low range 35-40fps in battles like Golden Harvest, Soulstone plains... Obviously this is not enough for person who invested in g-sync monitor + 980Ti, who is not used to such gaming experience.

As i tried every possible optimization tricks like true full screen, nvidia inspector profiles, forcing game to run on 1 physical core, run game on W7... , I see only way to achieve better performance in CPU (probably go for overclock). I do not mind to invest some cash if I would know it would help. I would go to i5 even if it would help as i am not doing a lot of things utilizing i7. But question is if it is possible.

Anybody who achieves stable 40+ fps in high demanding battles with his setup could post his setup?

Obviously there are opinions that some CPU's could perform better than others, but I would like to see some tested setup with real results.

It depends on the budget you're willing to spend. If you're on limit budget but you still want possible upgrade in the future, go for Skylake i3 6100. Duo core but single core performance is outstanding. Then again, the problem of loading is is mostly the type of disk storage as it affects loading time of a program. SSD is way way faster than HDD but is also pricier so you might want to consider that.

OR JUST *cricket*ING BUY THE $2300 ALIENWARE AND BECOME THE MUSTARD RACE

18 minutes ago, Duh Harro said:

It depends on the budget you're willing to spend. If you're on limit budget but you still want possible upgrade in the future, go for Skylake i3 6100. Duo core but single core performance is outstanding. Then again, the problem of loading is is mostly the type of disk storage as it affects loading time of a program. SSD is way way faster than HDD but is also pricier so you might want to consider that.

OR JUST *cricket*ING BUY THE $2300 ALIENWARE AND BECOME THE MUSTARD RACE

Completely agree.

I3 6100 is a great budget gaming cpu. In fact I built a budget gaming rig for a clannie with that cpu and a GTX 950 + SSD and 2x4 GB DDR4-2400 Mhz/Cl11  rams. He is very happy with the pc and has been gaming on it for a month or so. He loads fast and whenever I ask if his fps drops during bigger fights, he says its barely noticable.

Don't get amd,switch to intel (coming from someone using amd phenom 1055t)
Amd is pretty good when overclocked for CURRENT games and all but when it comes to really OLD DX9 games with 32 bit clients,single core performance is what it matters(this game uses 2-3 cores at best).so go with intel.

I would get 
MSI h110m motherboard( around 50 bucks)
i3 6100,i5 6500-6600 depending on your budget (120~200 bucks)
and a 8gb ddr4 2133 mhz ram would be enough ( 30 to 40 bucks)

If you have more to spend ofc you can get an overclockable motherboard and go with an intel K cpu,but  i personally dont think it s worth bothering since intel cpus are more than enough anyway.

PS: if you're in budget dont bother with ssd imo.It doesn't affect performance,only load/boot times.

27 minutes ago, HailNKill said:

i3 6100,i5 6500-6600 depending on your budget (120~200 bucks)

going if i5-skylake

Then take the chepeast and just BCLK clock it. You´ll have practically the same result as with the 6600k. Just need a z-series mobo.

Just for completeness´ sake:

From all consumer CPUs which are currently (Apr 2016) available on the market, the Intel Broadwell Core i7 5775C "gaming behemoth" delivers the best performance in Blade and Soul.

The bruteforce 128 MB "L3" Cache is doing its thing. Can ask a friend for benchmarks, if wanted.

Yes, you want max performance per core and more than 4 cores are useless with the Unreal 3 engine used here.

I am personally running on an ooooold 2009 oc´ed I7-X5650 (6-core Westmere). If you happen to have an old I7 board, you can obtain server CPUs for the 1366 platform really cheap (below 100 EUR that is) -- and the game still runs better on those than on a current-gen AMD "Bulldozer" platform... 

Archived