CPU Recommendations

Aluvis

Hey guys, looking to buy a new CPU since I'm currently experiencing really long loading screens (45-60 seconds) with a loading time from launcher to the pin being 2-3 minutes.

Right now, I'm running an AMD A4-5300 APU dual core processor that clocks ~3.4 Ghz, but I notice that during the loading screens that the CPU usage is maxed to 100% with BnS taking everything it can sometimes going above 95%. From what I've read, Blade and Soul, like many MMOs apparently, rely on single-core usage which can conflict with AMD processors that seem to typically rely on multi-core performance. However, this doesn't seem true during loading screens (since the usage is maxed), so I'm wondering if there's different processes during loading and during gameplay. Also, the recommended CPUs for the game is pretty much any quad-core Intel processor, or an AMD Phenom II x4 or better.  Basically, it comes down to this:

Question 1: Does the game really maximize on single-core performance?

Question 2: If so, does this differ from loading and from actual gameplay?

Question 3: If so, would a quad-core processor really be necessary to get, well, any time below what I'm currently experiencing compared to a dual-core?

Question 4: What processor(s) would be good to run this game on? Not talking maximized FPS, or any high-end specs, but anything better than this. Stating what processor you're currently using would also be helpful :)

Specs:

CPU; AMD A4-5300 APU

GPU; Radeon HD 7800 Series

MoBo, Model: MSI, FM2-A75IA-E53 (MS-7792)

Hard-Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD

Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will have to check my CPU usage next time i go play but i got i7 2600 non K version running with turbo at 4.2ghz, also have ssd and i dont have much of waiting time at loading screens and i dont lag much even when there is 20+ ppl fighting at same spot, although i dropped some graphs like shadows and motion blurs and some others but its still pretty and smooth.

The best one you can afford. There is currently no cpu on the market capable of producing a decent fps in 6-player dungeon.

And no, 4790k is crappy choice unless you already have s1150 motherboard (and you don't) since it's a dying socket.  So something for s1151 like i7 6700x would be smarter move. Still s1150 option would be a bit cheaper.

Pretty sure the loading screen times aren't going to be affected much by your CPU, it's your disk speed that will be the main factor, since it's loading info from the disk. So if you haven't already got a SSD, get one, makes a huge improvement in speed to the whole computer, not just games.

While saying that, every once in a while they seem to have issues that affect the login after the pin screen making you wait ages, so if that's the case there's nothing you can do on your end.

3 minutes ago, Yxion said:

AMD FX-9590 Vishera 8-Core 4.7 GHz $239

I love overclocking above 5GHz

And paying $1K more for Intel is dumb.

5Ghz sounds impressive - but when you that it´s an AMD CPU - then it´s not impressive anymore.

Core by Core, AMD loses to Intel cores. Also in price/performance ratio. I wouldn´t suggest the FX-series CPU for any rig today - you can build a better intel rig at the same or lower price. Obviously I am speaking in gaming relation and not workstation relation, where more than 4 threads may have more of an impact on performance.

@Aluvis

I read a claim that says "The game is from 2012, is single threaded and DX9 based."

The official recommended cpu is an Intel Quadcore.

This leads me to believe that the game can not use more than 2-4 threads at best and that you want a fast core-by-core pentium cpu (that supports hyperthreading) or a true quadcore (doesn´t need hyperthreading).

That means i3 or i5-core.

Since alot of other games and programs benefit for a true quadcore cpu - this is the most logical choice - and going with skylake tech is recommended too (even though sandylake is still going strong for gaming).

I´d suggest (price-performance consideration) :

Intel i5-6500 @ 3,2 Ghz

Hyper Evo 212 Air Cooler (super silent, performs better than most budget range liquid coolers)

MSI Krait Z170 Mobo - allows a good overclock - expect 4.2-4.7 Ghz overclock

2 x 4 GB DDR4-2400 Mhz ram running dual channel.

Obviously you need a decent graphics card and a good quality psu as well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

[b]CPU:[/b] Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.98 @ OutletPC)
[b]CPU Cooler:[/b] Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
[b]Motherboard:[/b] MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($139.88 @ OutletPC)
[b]Memory:[/b] G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($42.88 @ OutletPC)
[b]Total:[/b] $407.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-9590+Eight-Core&id=2014

CPU Mark: 10255; CPU Mark/$Price: 42.82

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-5960X+%40+3.00GHz&id=2332

CPU Mark: 15976; CPU Mark/$Price: 15.22

Even running multiple monitors in 4K running 3 games simultaneously, with multiple other applications; 20 Firefox tabs; and a server running within a VM I stil can't max out my CPU.

Why over pay for performance you don't need?

8 minutes ago, Victorion said:

@Aluvis

[b]CPU:[/b] Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.98 @ OutletPC)
[b]CPU Cooler:[/b] Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
[b]Motherboard:[/b] MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($139.88 @ OutletPC)
[b]Memory:[/b] G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($42.88 @ OutletPC)
[b]Total:[/b] $407.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-6500+%40+3.20GHz&id=2599

CPU Mark: 7068; CPU Mark/$Price: 34.48

2 minutes ago, Yxion said:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-9590+Eight-Core&id=2014

CPU Mark: 10255; CPU Mark/$Price: 42.82

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-5960X+%40+3.00GHz&id=2332

CPU Mark: 15976; CPU Mark/$Price: 15.22

Even running multiple monitors in 4K running 3 games simultaneously, with multiple other applications; 20 Firefox tabs; and a server running within a VM I stil can't max out my CPU.

Why over pay for performance you don't need?

Cause AMD is known to have issues with games whereas Intel is a safer, more expensive purchase.

Since currently you're using A4-5300, it is dual core only, and yes Blade and Soul is a heavy CPU dependent. So, at least quad core is necessary.

Well, your current motherboard is FM2 socket, so not much APUs that can handle BnS decently with that motherboard. The only best option of CPUs is A10 6800K, but I doubt you can get the best experience on that unless you're short on cash.

So, it's better to upgrade your motherboard and CPU altogether but you have to fork out extra cash.

What is your current setup actually? The recommend setup is at least quad core CPU, 8GB RAM and SSD to effectively reduce loading screen (beside good ping of course).

The best price-performance CPU that I can think of:

AM3+: AMD FX-8350 or better

Intel 4th: Core i5 4460 or better

Intel 6th: Core i5 6400 or better (but you need new, DDR4 RAM)

In short, upgrading option from lowest cost to high performance:

1. Buy A10 6800K only (lowest cost & performance)

2. Buy A10 6800K + upgrade RAM to 8GB total

3. Buy A10 6800K + upgrade RAM to 8GB total + SSD

4. Buy AM3+ motherboard + FX-8350 or better + upgrade RAM to 8GB total + SSD

5. Buy socket 1150 motherboard + Core i5 4460 or better 4th gen CPU + upgrade RAM to 8GB total + SSD

6. Buy socket 1151 motherboard + Core i5 6400 or better 6th gen CPU + new 8GB DDR4 RAM + SSD (highest cost and performance)

Hope this helps.

36 minutes ago, uTired2 said:

Pretty sure the loading screen times aren't going to be affected much by your CPU, it's your disk speed that will be the main factor, since it's loading info from the disk. So if you haven't already got a SSD, get one, makes a huge improvement in speed to the whole computer, not just games.

While saying that, every once in a while they seem to have issues that affect the login after the pin screen making you wait ages, so if that's the case there's nothing you can do on your end.

No, I'm almost certain that it's my CPU. The game is installed on a Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD. My Internet is fine since I have a ping speed/latency of 50-55 ms and rarely receive delay. I've also ruled out my GPU (Radeon HD 7800 Series), DNS issues, and conflicting drivers, software, and services. Basically, this game has an issue with running dual-core AMD processors especially since it was developed with Intel processors in mind.

so much AMD hate and Intel fanboism in here wow, without having a real clue too.

there is nothing wrong with AMD I have a 5 year old Phenom II 955 @3.8 and it runs this game maxed without any issues 50+ average fps in dungeons.

most of the expensive Intel cpu's are overkill and you will never even use half of that processing power while gaming, if you have extra money go for it otherwise it is a waste.

5 minutes ago, shadowzephyr said:

Well since currently you're using A4-5300, it is dual core only, and yes Blade and Soul is a heavy CPU dependent. So, at least quad core is necessary.

Well, your current motherboard is FM2 socket, so not much APUs that can handle BnS decently with that motherboard. The only best option of CPUs is A10 6800K, but I doubt you can get the best experience on that unless you're short on cash.

So, it's better to upgrade your motherboard and CPU altogether but you have to fork out extra cash.

What is your current setup actually? The recommend setup is at least quad core CPU, 8GB RAM and SSD to effectively reduce loading screen (beside good ping of course).

The best price-performance CPU that I can think of:

AM3+: AMD FX-8350 or better

Intel 4th: Core i5 4460 or better

Intel 6th: Core i5 6400 or better (but you need new, DDR4 RAM)

In short, upgrading option from lowest cost to high performance:

1. Buy A10 6800K only (lowest cost & performance)

2. Buy A10 6800K + upgrade RAM to 8GB total

3. Buy A10 6800K + upgrade RAM to 8GB total + SSD

4. Buy AM3+ motherboard + FX-8350 or better + upgrade RAM to 8GB total + SSD

5. Buy socket 1150 motherboard + Core i5 4460 or better 4th gen CPU + upgrade RAM to 8GB total + SSD

6. Buy socket 1151 motherboard + Core i5 6400 or better 6th gen CPU + new 8GB DDR4 RAM + SSD (highest cost and performance)

Hope this helps.

Thank you. This is very informative. I'll update my original post to include my specs. Didn't think about it before ;p

Buy a 4790K as mentioned or a Skylake 6700K.

I had an AMD 8350 until last week, and my gtx970 load couldn't go over 30% in normal play. 

After changeing to 4790K gpu load and framerate gone up. So my guess is, that AMD CPU's are not well supported by this game.

And a SSD is mandatory for games in my opinion ;)

Archived