Being charged for services that was originally free?

Foxnstuff

It seems that you clearly don't like our current version of the game. Ok, why not.

so why keep playing here if you can't stand this business model ?  I don't understand.  Are you masochist of something? 

Maybe KR, CN or TW is more suitable for what you are looking for. 

Consider the problem solved and just move to another version because I think you are the only one complaining about that.  

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Sleyvin said:

It seems that you clearly don't like our current version of the game. Ok, why not.

so why keep playing here if you can't stand this business model ?  I don't understand.  Are you masochist of something? 

Maybe KR, CN or TW is more suitable for what you are looking for. 

Consider the problem solved and just move to another version because I think you are the only one complaining about that.  

In my case Im not playing the version until it´s fixed there is far too many games and versions out there to even bother with the drama that there is to come without a fix of the market mentality, I tested it found it to be horrible shaddy classic NCsoft America capitalist stuff all over it(Let´s recall the current state of all of their other localized games shall we? There is a pattern always, I leave the puzzle to you.) and ironic as it might sound it was as laggy as playing on TW and somehow they are trying to pull the Esport agenda on a game they are at least 2 years behind on content, and I thought GW2 was desperate to bring Esports.

Even tho I am on my right to complain or express my opinion/critique as so does the OP, but I guess people love to get milked out of their "hype".. again this is Archeage stage of forum denial.

I never played archeage.  I dont understand why you still talking about that game i didn't even played. 

Well despite of that, sure you can complain. That's your right.  But what's the point of that ? 

What is your goal ?

Are you going to do a petition ?

Or Sending an email to bns support ? 

Or waiting for a CM answer/statement ? 

Well you have 3 choices :

- change game or version of the game

- do something concrete (petition, etc..)

- deal with it. 

But sincerly, complaining just for complaining will not resolve your problem. 

We already share our points of view and now what ? 

I'm ok with the game like that and you're not. 

but the difference between you and me, it's that i 've made my choice : play this version of the game. 

what is your choice dude ? 

4 minutes ago, Sleyvin said:

I never played archeage.  I dont understand why you still talking about that game i didn't even played. 

Well despite of that, sure you can complain. That's your right.  But what's the point of that ? 

What is your goal ?

Are you going to do a petition ?

Or Sending an email to bns support ? 

Or waiting for a CM answer/statement ? 

Well you have 3 choices :

- change game or version of the game

- do something concrete (petition, etc..)

- deal with it. 

But sincerly, complaining just for complaining will not resolve your problem. 

We already share our points of view and now what ? 

I'm ok with the game like that and you're not. 

but the difference between you and me, it's that i 've made my choice : play this version of the game. 

what is your choice dude ? 

They are doing something. They went on the forums to voice their opinion...

I'm trying to understand what's your point in worring about their complaint. If this complaint bothers you so much;

you have 3 choices:

-Ignore it

-Do something concrete (petition, etc...)

-Deal with it

But seriously, you're accomplishing nothing by being condescending. Just because you're okay with it doesn't make it right. 

5 hours ago, Foxnstuff said:

It's not free in the NA version of the game, but was in EVERY OTHER VERSION. That's the problem. Also the other versions "western players may not care for" also bought premium and other stuff via the shops threw Taiwan services. The players are USE to that base. It's now changed up and restricted even more. Do you honestly think the players who HAVE been playing the game the entire time want to go from a Pay to win service, to a not so bad pay to win service, to a even more restricted services in NA just for better ping? No.

The players aren't used to that.  A fraction of the players are used to that and from reading the posts from the dojo, it wasn't easy to get all that from the other servers.

Well i'm not condescendant. 

Sorry if it's what It looks like, but I'm not.  

I'm just fed up with people complaining about details/ small things. 

It's just a game. Why hurting yourself with those kind of small things ?? 

"Oh my god the original version has 3 free slot and we don't !! CAPITALISM !!!"

Seriously ? I've just re-read the entire topic and...REALLY ? 

Are you guys that kind unhappy in the game to open your internet browser, click on the bns forum, make a full text of complaining about... 3 fckin slot which are not exactely rewarded the same way as the original version but still FREE in our version ???

I don't get it. I'm sorry but i don't get it. It's a all new level of complaining. 

I'd rather play the game and enjoy it instead of trying to understand what's going on here. 

And that's what i'm going to do. Enjoying the game. 

I wish you guys to find a solution of your problem. Hope you will be in peace with yourselves after. 

Good luck.

2 hours ago, Sleyvin said:

Well i'm not condescendant. 

Sorry if it's what It looks like, but I'm not.  

I'm just fed up with people complaining about details/ small things. 

It's just a game. Why hurting yourself with those kind of small things ?? 

"Oh my god the original version has 3 free slot and we don't !! CAPITALISM !!!"

Seriously ? I've just re-read the entire topic and...REALLY ? 

Are you guys that kind unhappy in the game to open your internet browser, click on the bns forum, make a full text of complaining about... 3 fckin slot which are not exactely rewarded the same way as the original version but still FREE in our version ???

I don't get it. I'm sorry but i don't get it. It's a all new level of complaining. 

I'd rather play the game and enjoy it instead of trying to understand what's going on here. 

And that's what i'm going to do. Enjoying the game. 

I wish you guys to find a solution of your problem. Hope you will be in peace with yourselves after. 

Good luck.

I don´t get why you´re so defensive about it. It´s not like if you work for them or anything you would need to worry about honestly.

I wouldn´t say this is a new level of complaining, it´s pretty normal for any MMO and there is no need to be using hyperboles.

If you enjoy the game as it is, go and enjoy it.

10 hours ago, Furholden said:

My gf is a F2P player with lots of time on her hands and she's already unlocked all her slots.. so.. maybe she just knows better, spends time ingame to unlock her own slots and not complaining..

I will make it simple without going into too much detail because I can see the disinformation here, but your GF example doesn´t make it the rule to the game and I will leave it at that because you have a weak statement for a discussion talking about the content being more time gated or cash gated than Eastern model.

I´m sorry if it sounds a little harsh but I can´t find other words without going a text wall explaining to you how your argument is invalid on content that you or she might not even know about.

their greed is gonna bite them in the ass.  you need an f2p playerbase for the p2p players to play with.  their overly restrictive f2p model will make people quit instead of pay, which will in turn cause the people who do pay to quit as they have nobody to play with anymore.

locking weapons behind rng boxes is especially frustrating.  it's such a blatant cash grab that anyone with half a brain will just get pissed and quit instead of giving away money for something so stupid.

why wouldn't they just copy other f2p models that aren't incredibly restrictive and frustrating for f2p players, yet are somehow still very successful?  (i'm looking at Tera)

13 minutes ago, powerbeard said:

their greed is gonna bite them in the ass.  you need an f2p playerbase for the p2p players to play with.  their overly restrictive f2p model will make people quit instead of pay, which will in turn cause the people who do pay to quit as they have nobody to play with anymore.

locking weapons behind rng boxes is especially frustrating.  it's such a blatant cash grab that anyone with half a brain will just get pissed and quit instead of giving away money for something so stupid.

why wouldn't they just copy other f2p models that aren't incredibly restrictive and frustrating for f2p players, yet are somehow still very successful?  (i'm looking at Tera)

lol like tera doesn't have things locked behind an rng wall. Right now t15 is considered p2w because the only people who can get it are those who swipe their cards and get gold to buy all the things they need. Or those who have rngesus on their side and somehow never fail on their enchanting attempts. At least in bns enchanting doesn't fail

f2p will always have rng. In bns it's the weapon boxes, but in tera, it's enchanting. They're different games, and games are a business anyways,so they'e going to have elements where you pay for convenience.Which in this case, is not wanting to sit through hours of possible rng. but you bringing up tera is stupid, because the same rng reliance happens there too. f2p games rely on us spending money, these servers don't just stay up because of magic and happiness and rainbow farts, they get their money somehow, while still allowing the MAJORITY of people to not have to pay if they don't mind a grind.

3 minutes ago, Telethia said:

lol like tera doesn't have things locked behind an rng wall. Right now t15 is considered p2w because the only people who can get it are those who swipe their cards and get gold to buy all the things they need. Or those who have rngesus on their side and somehow never fail on their enchanting attempts. At least in bns enchanting doesn't fail

f2p will always have rng. In bns it's the weapon boxes, but in tera, it's enchanting. They're different games, and games are a business anyways,so they'e going to have elements where you pay for convenience.Which in this case, is not wanting to sit through hours of possible rng. but you bringing up tera is stupid, because the same rng reliance happens there too. f2p games rely on us spending money, these servers don't just stay up because of magic and happiness and rainbow farts, they get their money somehow, while still allowing the MAJORITY of people to not have to pay if they don't mind a grind.

except thats only for the very end game stuff, which you shouldn't even want to buy anyways because once you have them you have nothing else to do.  it's not nearly as blatant as the very first weapon upgrade you can possibly get only being acquired by rng boxes that shout "you can pay to get it easier!", and it's not going to immediately scare away new players.

on top of that, tera doesn't make you pay for basic stuff like, you know, using the mail box.

4 minutes ago, powerbeard said:

except thats only for the very end game stuff, which you shouldn't even want to buy anyways because once you have them you have nothing else to do.  it's not nearly as blatant as the very first weapon upgrade you can possibly get only being acquired by rng boxes that shout "you can pay to get it easier!", and it's not going to immediately scare away new players.

on top of that, tera doesn't make you pay for basic stuff like, you know, using the mail box.

But it's still just as frustratingly rng, if not more so. The leveling up of the weapons here isn't that bad, coming from someone who farmed for 3 hours for the stupid jiangshi gauntlet, that was more entertaining than end game tera imo, enchanting grind on 7 65's is just as bad as getting weapons in bns, one isn't better than the other in that regard.. Most of the upgrading weapons can be traded anyways, all of the blue, and the farming is part of the game, it doesn't REQUIRE you to pay for anything, as much of a grind as it can add.

I agree that it's stupid that bns makes you charge your account to use mail, one reason is because of bots, but it's a shaky excuse imo. However, it's true you don't NEED to use the mail system, since you can't mail cross server, and windstriding to friends to get them help take like 5 minutes.  I dislike that it's a thing, but they might change it in the future,based on the forums complaining about it.

Tera has shitty rng costume boxes which, sure are a choice (because you don't HAVE to look pretty while playing an mmo), but they're such a drain on wallets and no guarantee you'll even get anything good. Neither mmo is any better than the other in terms of the money hungry grab for your wallets

At this point it's not complaining, it's just about the basic principle. 
90% of the time NA gets a game we have to pay for a lot of features that are free in the original. Publishers gouge the heck out of our pockets, come up with these freemium servers (Monthly subs on f2p games) and then make us pay for free stuff. How is that even fair?

I think the main thing that everyone needs to realize is this: The original marketing model doesn't mean jack squat in North America.

The North American NCSoft team has its own marketing team and they are going to base their prices, be them inventory, costumes, or whatever, on how THEY want to do things. There was never a promise nor a guarantee that anything in the store for NCoin was going to be the same as other versions. If I'm wrong about that, please point to me to a source and I'll admit I was wrong. However, to my knowledge after watching most of the steams and after reading most of the announcements, they never once said that prices in NA would be the same as other versions. 

While you may not think that it is fair for NA players to have to pay for something that other versions do not, you are not entitled to it. No promises were made, you did not sign anything that said the prices would be the same, you did not pay for the same prices as the other versions. 

You may think that North American businesses are greedy/money-hungry, and you're right. What you need to realize, however, is that those companies are run by people who just like you feel they are entitled to the money and the profits because they can do whatever they want. You sit here and accuse them of being greedy because they decided to charge for something that someone else doesn't charge for, but at the same time you are brandishing your expectation of them to just hand you things for free because other people got them in your own sense of self-entitlement. 

Those of you who have been arguing the side that NCSoft is wrong will not like this post, but don't bother trying to convince me otherwise. I have never once in life expected something for free and have always earned it, regardless of how easy those things may have come to other people.  If it costs money, you earn it and pay for it if you want it. 

3 minutes ago, Telethia said:

But it's still just as frustratingly rng, if not more so. The leveling up of the weapons here isn't that bad, coming from someone who farmed for 3 hours for the stupid jiangshi gauntlet, that was more entertaining than end game tera imo, enchanting grind on 7 65's is just as bad as getting weapons in bns, one isn't better than the other in that regard.. Most of the upgrading weapons can be traded anyways, all of the blue, and the farming is part of the game, it doesn't REQUIRE you to pay for anything, as much of a grind as it can add.

I agree that it's stupid that bns makes you charge your account to use mail, one reason is because of bots, but it's a shaky excuse imo. However, it's true you don't NEED to use the mail system, since you can't mail cross server, and windstriding to friends to get them help take like 5 minutes.  I dislike that it's a thing, but they might change it in the future,based on the forums complaining about it.

Tera has shitty rng costume boxes which, sure are a choice (because you don't HAVE to look pretty while playing an mmo), but they're such a drain on wallets and no guarantee you'll even get anything good. Neither mmo is any better than the other in terms of the money hungry grab for your wallets

Although, it seems to me that people are discouraging complaining or asking for change from NCsoft.  It happens in games like Elsword. Back when the game was relatively new, a lot of functions were locked behind a paywall until players complained to them to make it free.  Like every line in bank and inventory was 2 dollars or so.  Your skills were also behind a paywall and etc.  If players didn't complain, it would have stayed that way because developers and publishers don't always listen.  It's worse in CN browser games. 

R2games CEO had a talk about it.  Getting whales to spend a lot is fine, but you can't hurt your f2p player base because they are content.  Players are content.  If too many f2p players are turned away, the whales will get bored when there was no one to show off to.  

My younger brother is taking game design and he gets to meet people who make games.  From what I've heard is that publishers and developers try to shy away from problems because they either don't want to take responsibility or that they don't think of it as an issue if they are still earning more than they spend.

As for Tera, rng isn't that bad actually.  It uses a server based time stamp rng.  It's very similar to Elsword.  As long as you know coding and how it works, you can make it so you consistently get what you want.  Elsword is just easier since Tera is harder to crack.  The farming isn't bad either.  2 hrs per day for a month can get you +15 VM6 gear.  The game also gives you different avenues for money making.  Such as alchemy being the most consistent and etching is the biggest earner if you can rng.  You can merch and have millions like I did if you learn how to manipulate and trick people.  

For instance:

Back in the summer, Elite Vouchers (30 Days) were around 18k.  This was before an update that would bring a lot of players into the game and get them to spend money.

If you farmed and got money, you can buy EMP from other players for less than 18k and then resell for higher.  I saved my vouchers and I sold around 30-40 of them for 40-50k each instead of selling for more than 18k. In 2 months I made 1.6M from just waiting.  You can also do this with other items that they "need" for end game.  Moonwater Transformation stones is one of them.  Just that this doesn't give them another way to get these items.  In Tera, cash shop items are tradeable, so gold was backed up by rl currency.  Where as in BnS, gold has fewer opportunities to use gold.  They do have Hongmoon coins on the other hand.  However, Aeriagames did this too.  A second currency to be used in cash shop is a great idea, but it can have a few draw backs.  In BnS, the Hongmoon coins are from rng that you have to rng to get some.  Where as in Aura Kingdom published by Aeriagames, you get your second currency from playing the game itself without rng.

Looking at it from a developer and consumer standpoint, BnS does not build habit, where as Aura Kingdom does.  By building habit by making players play habitually, you make them spend more time than they should.  This can result in more players as content and increases the likeliness that they will spend.  A great model for cash shop would be Nintendo.  They have a game in which the cash shop can be "haggled".  It was a game within a game and it made spending money fun because it feeds off the feeling of getting a great deal.  Developers can also make cash shop items that focus less on the player and more on the community.  On EC, they discussed about how a KR mmo used this idea.  

Imagine if there was a cash shop item that was relatively cheap and it dropped items when used.  However, it's used as a throwing consumable and the player cannot pick up the items.  For example, if an issue in this game was fabric or grinding for exp, the consumable can drop those and other players can pick it up.  It does sound like the player would be losing money, but what happened was that the player would be happy.  There are a lot of social animals in MMOs and they feed off attention.  This item allowed these players to get attention from people and it can lead to dance parties, giant group pictures, faction wars over the items, or can be used when GMs try to host in game events.  And not only does it encourage people to spend, it fixes other issues in the game that would have costed too much or take too much time to implement correctly.

24 minutes ago, Shoshin said:

I think the main thing that everyone needs to realize is this: The original marketing model doesn't mean jack squat in North America.

The North American NCSoft team has its own marketing team and they are going to base their prices, be them inventory, costumes, or whatever, on how THEY want to do things. There was never a promise nor a guarantee that anything in the store for NCoin was going to be the same as other versions. If I'm wrong about that, please point to me to a source and I'll admit I was wrong. However, to my knowledge after watching most of the steams and after reading most of the announcements, they never once said that prices in NA would be the same as other versions. 

While you may not think that it is fair for NA players to have to pay for something that other versions do not, you are not entitled to it. No promises were made, you did not sign anything that said the prices would be the same, you did not pay for the same prices as the other versions. 

You may think that North American businesses are greedy/money-hungry, and you're right. What you need to realize, however, is that those companies are run by people who just like you feel they are entitled to the money and the profits because they can do whatever they want. You sit here and accuse them of being greedy because they decided to charge for something that someone else doesn't charge for, but at the same time you are brandishing your expectation of them to just hand you things for free because other people got them in your own sense of self-entitlement. 

Those of you who have been arguing the side that NCSoft is wrong will not like this post, but don't bother trying to convince me otherwise. I have never once in life expected something for free and have always earned it, regardless of how easy those things may have come to other people.  If it costs money, you earn it and pay for it if you want it. 

^Pretty much.  It just could have been handled better.

Oh and while we are discussing marketing teams, from what I know, different regions don't always have their own marketing teams.  Sometimes, companies will try to determine the best choice of action for other regions when localizing and sometimes it becomes a bust.  For example, Vindictus NA can cost you like 20 USD or so for an item.  Where as in EU, the same item is 10 USD.  There was no justification as to why there was a difference or why EU costed less in USD than it does in NA.  They just think it will work better for that region.  

Vindictus is a lot worse than BnS outside of the mailing.  In Vindictus, their definition of fair is that any popular outfit will be rng, when it wasn't on any other server because they "felt" that the KR players would be mad at them for favoring NA.

1 hour ago, Shoshin said:

If you tell a customer they are not "entitled" to bring feedback on what they would enjoy to pay for then every company out there would have went bankrupt unless said company had a monopoly without any competition, wich in the MMO market this is not the case. Consumers move from MMOs faster than before and services on the West are lacking so much that MMOs last a couple of years before it´s deemed p2w or dead and in some cases it´s the same fate, MMO fans want their next "WoW" experience or whatever MMO they really liked to stay for years and years but so often they find services to be annoying or companies that change their model practices after some time and the players move on, while in the East things we have deemed dead on the West are very much alive in games that have been around 15-20 years and in the West we can only probably say WoW and EVE are still alive.

This is just my opinion on the matter as I keep seeing things being repeated over and over again due poor choices of marketing to make quick bucks instead of long term cash and fanbase.

15 minutes ago, Pinwheel said:

Is it really so much to ask for ONE game to ever be released INTACT with just text swapped to english and the lower ping? That's all anyone ever wanted in the first place, now there are paywalls and nerfs to everything.

Different regions , different marketing strats . This is how it works , it's nothing personal really .

23 minutes ago, KaiserDominus said:

If you tell a customer they are not "entitled" to bring feedback on what they would enjoy to pay for then every company out there would have went bankrupt unless said company had a monopoly without any competition, wich in the MMO market this is not the case. Consumers move from MMOs faster than before and services on the West are lacking so much that MMOs last a couple of years before it´s deemed p2w or dead and in some cases it´s the same fate, MMO fans want their next "WoW" experience or whatever MMO they really liked to stay for years and years but so often they find services to be annoying or companies that change their model practices after some time and the players move on, while in the East things we have deemed dead on the West are very much alive in games that have been around 15-20 years and in the West we can only probably say WoW and EVE are still alive.

This is just my opinion on the matter as I keep seeing things being repeated over and over again due poor choices of marketing to make quick bucks instead of long term cash and fanbase.

You are misconstruing my words. I never said that a player was not entitled to their opinion, I said they were not entitled to getting or demanding it for free. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, because it is just that, their own. They own it. I whole-heartedly support any player making comments, suggestions, and raising topics with NCSoft.

Saying "You know, I really think you charge too much for the inventory expansion and it would nice if you would consider lowering the price. If you look at other versions, you will see that they do not even charge for it. Please take my suggestion under advisement and consider giving the player-base a break on the inventory expansion" is a lot different than saying "The other versions have it for free so we should have it for free. What is this bull*cricket*"? 

The latter is what happened in this forums. Players saying they are entitled to it because other players have it, rather than making a productive suggestion to lower the costs of the inventory expansion and using the other versions as a selling point of that suggestion. One is a request, the other is a demand. 

16 hours ago, Shoshin said:

You are misconstruing my words. I never said that a player was not entitled to their opinion, I said they were not entitled to getting or demanding it for free. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, because it is just that, their own. They own it. I whole-heartedly support any player making comments, suggestions, and raising topics with NCSoft.

Saying "You know, I really think you charge too much for the inventory expansion and it would nice if you would consider lowering the price. If you look at other versions, you will see that they do not even charge for it. Please take my suggestion under advisement and consider giving the player-base a break on the inventory expansion" is a lot different than saying "The other versions have it for free so we should have it for free. What is this bull*cricket*"? 

The latter is what happened in this forums. Players saying they are entitled to it because other players have it, rather than making a productive suggestion to lower the costs of the inventory expansion and using the other versions as a selling point of that suggestion. One is a request, the other is a demand. 

That's spot-on. I wish people would at least show some respect. Offering a suggestion is way different from demanding stuff.

• 1 month later...

Players should be demanding it because it was ALREADY free to begin with. Literally this SHOULD have been nothing but a transfer from the Chinese model to the NA/EU Model, with some tweaks to fit the eyes of "the Western Audience". My "demanding" or the things I think I'm "entitled to" is something that was originally given to you, has always been given to you, and now it's Different because they want to force you into working harder for something you didn't originally have to. That's not something appealing to me as a "western player".

Why the hell should I have to sugar coat something of trying to look up to big brother NCSoft and say oh hey... I know it was free in the other versions, but p-p-p-pwease Big Brother NCSoft, C-could you at least give it to me for a lower price? Are you joking? No. Why the hell should I have to go through MORE of a hassle, or be forced into the pay for convenience on an item that was suppose to be given to you from the start? It was pretty clear in NCSoft's attention to make you do something more when you didn't have to. This doesn't improve content, this doesn't appeal to me as a westerner, this doesn't make my game play the best experience ever. It was a way to screw over players and they know it, and people want to defend that and expect me to be nice about it? Sorry, no.

I don't think I should have to deal with that and cater to NCSoft and treat them like freaking royalty when this game has been under radio silence and new staff teams left and right and pretty much abandoned until people acted out to get NCSoft to finally bring it over. All of that waiting and fan base betrayal to then release this inferior version of Blade & Soul with garbage connection, NO bot defense after it being a known issue across all regions, and to add on this crap? No I will not cater to NCSoft, No I won't lighten up, I'm not going to bend over for NCSoft. It was wrong for them to do it in the first place, it should be fixed so we are "on par" with the other regions with an ACTUAL tweaked model for US, the players, on what WE want. Not what they think is better for their walle- *cough* I mean players.

We play this game, they don't. We are a customer, they are a business. They should be suiting our needs, not us suiting what they could offer, but decided to offer you a lot less for money and/or time when it was free in the first place.

I'm not invested in the inventory thing, but I just want to point out that so far the 'localization' for the Western audience has been limited to:

Changing how the cash shop works 

Dumbing down and altering the story

Stuff they had to add on later that other Western games have and this doesn't despite localization because...reasons is:

AFK timer

Upcoming Master Loot change

Spam filter

Report Spam/Bots

It has not been stuff like:

Changing RNG for weapon drops grind

Vote kick in dungeons

Open world mob shared tag system (no reduced spawn timers? more mobs? beuler?)

Underdog system for underpopulated faction side

etc.

So, put like this, it's easy to see where all the 'localization' of the game went. And it's not a pretty picture. It's one thing to say 'NCWest doesn't have a development team' or that they have to ask the actual devs. But uh, how long did they have to work on this again? Did they ask and Korea said 'no' or did they not ask at all. Considering the mess of the Martial Tome translation (plot twist: coding problems, we have to ask Korea!) I think...

Archived