I miss pay to play - as someone who never liked F2P

Tavi

As time has gone on and more mmo's have gone live, or introduced into new markets, we've seen more and more F2P games. Maybe I'm an oldie but I miss the days of paying for a game and  paying a sub and getting it all. Ill give credit to some games that offer real perks to paying customers, but games like B&S? They just dont. Even paying a monthly sub, a lot of the important things are hidden behind a paywall. Come on, bag space? Character limits? I'm not even talking cosmetic things. I guess my issue is, I'd gladly pay a monthly to have the basics other games offer. I'd even pay for bag space if it was across account. But as it is, "Free to play" if you are a player with money, equals out to, ultimately be more than a monthly sub for say wow, if you are spending.

I hope premium changes for B&S, I really do.

On 1/24/2016 at 4:13 AM, Yamabushi said:

That's been an issue for me, most games you play, and you put a subscription in, and you get the full game + added perks, for essentially supporting the game. It's such a good game with so many pitfalls. I've never liked F2P, but I understood it. I understand people are cash strapped and want/need entertainment. I understand the purpose, but in cases like this, it really detracts from the game itself. While I wont stomp my feet and say I'm leaving! I dont know that I'll bother paying for a sub if it doesn't change. Because at the moment, it feels a bit like playing the mmo version of candy crush, where I have to pay for extra lives. 

while I would like more inventory space as a premium member (yes I know I can buy Dragon Pouches with my Ncoins - it just still feels like we're being nickel and dime'd hard.)  the thing I miss the most is better account wide features. ie.some decent support for alts - shared stash, account unlocks, and rewards for being a subscriber even if you don't get a chance to log in  (i'm looking at you daily dash BS! grrr)  

premium membership in these types of games really has taken a dive in terms of how complete a game you get for your money. 

(tbh the only good things about premium here are the queue-jumping and the slight XP boost.)

It seems to me that these days the devs dont even have any say in what goes into their games anymore. Before they can release anything they have to submit the content to a room full of suits who completely strip it down to see what they can hide behind a paywall. Imo they need to stop trying to suck the life out of players with micro-transactions and find a new way to fund the game.  An example would be to sell add space in pvp arenas, like billboards along the walls like how sporting arenas have. Just something to take the strain of trying to sell every little thing in the game.. idk but I do miss paying a monthly sub and having access to everything the game had to offer.

5 minutes ago, Aiezen said:

It seems to me that these days the devs dont even have any say in what goes into their games anymore. Before they can release anything they have to submit the content to a room full of suits who completely strip it down to see what they can hide behind a paywall. Imo they need to stop trying to suck the life out of players with micro-transactions and find a new way to fund the game.  An example would be to sell add space in pvp arenas, like billboards along the walls like how sporting arenas have. Just something to take the strain of trying to sell every little thing in the game.. idk but I do miss paying a monthly sub and having access to everything the game had to offer.

Or start self publishing so they can manage their own cash shop without handing it over to other companies.

That's because F2P games are F2P for only one reason and purpose: to get a larger playerbase to milk as much money as possible from.

Some games(most MMOs in recent years) are so blatant about it that It's simply disgusting and It's why I've always preferred the B2P or S2P model to F2P.

yep i do as well, days of just paying 15 dollars and getting a full experience with out shady dealings of a cash shop are long gone... its sad to, to have such a great game ruined by the cash shop shenanigans... alot of shady stuff going on with NCSoft and this game and i'm not to happy about some of it... as it closely mirrors perfect world whom i loathe... the premium service SHOULD effectively be a subscription and you shouldn't be expected to shill out more cash on top of it. 

Archived