DPS Meter Request

osembai

Laxxz used a harsh tone - the same as a huge portion of the anti-dps meter faction in this thread. People are quick to pull out the e-peen argument without giving the issue a second thought, throwing all proponents of DPS meters into the same pot. It's not an us versus them. Elitist jerks are here to stay, with or without DPS meters around. They're not 'everywhere' though and easy to ignore - people just fearmonger a lot.

You're still denying a relatively essential analytical tool because some people are douchebags in using it. That's like denying people kitchen knifes because they can still be used to hurt.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DPS meter won't hurt. The game is indeed too dynamic to relay on DPS metering so anyone who brags about his DPS won't be taken seriously. But if you want fast personal comparison of stats, why not such meter?

About ppl being kicked for low DPS.... well I have been already kicked because I don't have maxed true profane weapon from 6 man Poh.... How about that?! If gear must not be considered for party then disable char info inspection... Gear is important and there is no point in doing dungeons with party of 4 weak players ... Its just not efficient... why 45 min on instance that is no more than 15-17 min ... When you have weak gear you become burden for party. Its not OK for ppl to feel great while they are burden and no one to tell them that they syck... No one can have max gear instantly but that doesn't mean that someone must get you trough everything... Players must make effort... farm gear and maybe die sometimes. Get the game exp. !!!

I already see clips that show solo on bosses, weapon evolve path, gold farm tuto, rotation guides and crafting guides too so there is no excuse to not gear up.... and there are clan members that will help.

DPS and party kick because of gear is thing that will not be affected by damage metering addon. DPS on dummy bragging - well why not ... you play hard to get gear, and gems and why not brag about it? Some one tells you that he do more damage than you... you get upset? Well go cry on your mama shoulder. Or make effort and be next to brag!!!  

Players must compere and compete... PvP is example of that...

I am for DPS meter!!! As long as there are not classification healer, tank , DPS there will be no problem!!!

On ‎23‎.‎2‎.‎2016‎ г. at 5:13 PM, Erufuun said:

Laxxz used a harsh tone - the same as a huge portion of the anti-dps meter faction in this thread. People are quick to pull out the e-peen argument without giving the issue a second thought, throwing all proponents of DPS meters into the same pot. It's not an us versus them. Elitist jerks are here to stay, with or without DPS meters around. They're not 'everywhere' though and easy to ignore - people just fearmonger a lot.

You're still denying a relatively essential analytical tool because some people are douchebags in using it. That's like denying people kitchen knifes because they can still be used to hurt.

Exactly!!! Good comparison with kitchen knife :D

I'm not opposed to the concept of having metrics.  Metrics can be useful, objective tools for evaluating effectiveness of strategies, rotations, etc.  They're also a great way to observe your own improvement as a player.

But the concerns other players have of these metrics fostering increased elitism and hostility are absolutely valid.  It's not fearmongering because it is a thing that happens.

Let's talk a bit about a game I used to play, Planetside 2.

Planetside 2's metrics were so detailed, players not only could track their KDR, but could also track HSR ( headshot kill ratio ), IVI rating ( infantry vs. infantry ), etc., all culminating into a power rating ( killing power against a standard target ) and MLG rating ( projected competitive ability ).  The metrics were insanely detailed, and for a lot of players, Planetside 2 stopped being a game, and instead, simply became the environment in which they played an altogether different game of metrics optimization.  Players became obssessed with their stats and comparing stats with each other.  It was like a weird meta game where the only thing that mattered was making numbers go up.  Players resorted to increasingly scummy gameplay styles like vehicle whoring and rocket primary, all in eternal pursuit of proving their MLG value.  The community became deeply split between players who cared and players who didn't, the elites vs. the casuals.  It was poison.

And in the end, what good did it do?  A lot of these players burnt out because they became obsessed with improving their stats, and the thing is, a lot of these players were the better, higher skilled players.  It only makes sense right?  The kind of players who would care in the first place are probably above average players, and once you get into the 2.5+ KDR range, it becomes very hard to maintain that rating.  A spectacular night barely nets any improvement, and keep in mind most of these guys weren't actually that great, they were just good players using optimal strategies to boost their stats.  When these guys encountered actually amazing players, they would get wrecked and a single bad night could severely damage their stats.

Planetside 2 started to become a bad place to be, and with players burning out left and right, large player exoduses were inevitable.  I started noticing even I was getting caught up in this insane fervor, and why?  What good did it do me?  I could've just been happy with where I was, but instead, I was I chasing some arbitrary 3.5+ KDR or whatever like it was Valhalla.  Why?  It was stupid.  Bad nights made me rage, and it became hard to enjoy the game, and the thing is Planetside 2 isn't a bad game.  It has great infantry combat mechanics and the best dogfighting I've seen in any game.

I quit about the time of the second mass player exodus.

Now I play Dirty Bomb, and the devs recently released player metrics.  Apparently, the devs learned from Planetside 2, because they've been very careful about what stats they reveal.  KDR was initially hidden ( they gave you kills, you had to mouse over a certain place to see deaths and then you had to break out a calculator ), and now, I don't think you can see KDR at all.

So yeah, I'm in support of having more information available, but I've seen what that shit does to games and to people, and honestly, it might not be worth it.

Leave it out.

Archived