Problems with open world PvP

SinNoAria

Faction superiority.  Often you get a faction that everyone wants to join and what ends up happening is people make alts, queue in (easier for people with friends to do this and if you are doing this, it is probably to play with your friends), and make a character on the opposite faction that they want to join, then switch over to their main account character and choose the faction that they want.

This leads to a massive outnumbering of players since one side just ends up accumulating a ton of alts.

And how do I know this? I've had some people tell me to just switch factions using that method.

"Just make an alt account and put a character in the other faction, everyone does this."

The biggest problem of course is that aside from making it so that one side has more inactives and one side having more actives is that it could be further abused to force people to pick one side over another (Say someone just kept making alts to put into one side all day long).

===

There were other games where depending on how many members of a faction were in an area, the other side(s) gained a bonus in stats to make up for the difference. I think Aion did this for a large area, other games did it for small sub-areas.

Why is it that they didn't make it so that based on how many active players are in an area, it gives a buff based on that. Instead of forcing people to choose sides?

Happens in every game. Personally the problem is one side is always full of kiddies talking about random cartoons instead of actually coordinating faction attacks and the other side is full of hardcore pvpers getting things accomplished. I admit even I switched over after one side of the faction was never in ANY channel and the other side was always farming and doing world bosses. Farmed all my stuff in a day or two.  It has nothing to do with how many people are on one side, it solely what kind of people you have in a faction and some people want a faction where people are actually working together getting faction stuff accomplished.

Another side effect to note, mostly for those that actually want to take part in the pvp side:

If everyone is on one side, who is there to fight?

I've already seen blues trying to find reds via region chat because none of them are there.

In Misty Woods. During the most active time of the day. Multiple days in a row.

Sure, some people might want to coordinate things on one side, but it won't matter if you don't even have people to fight.

It just makes world pvp boring to the point where the only time I even want to wear my uniform is when I want to get soul stones.

only problem i had so fare(lvl 30ish) is the lack of the other faction to kill, and i am on the side that lack members all the time, and ofc we cant use faction chat due to bots.

on a good day i meet and kill 10 ppl, and i die maybe the same amount of times, i hope more players up in the 40+ really use their faction armor as true pvp is open world pvp :)

7 hours ago, Succubus Lilith said:

Another side effect to note, mostly for those that actually want to take part in the pvp side:

If everyone is on one side, who is there to fight?

I've already seen blues trying to find reds via region chat because none of them are there.

In Misty Woods. During the most active time of the day. Multiple days in a row.

Sure, some people might want to coordinate things on one side, but it won't matter if you don't even have people to fight.

It just makes world pvp boring to the point where the only time I even want to wear my uniform is when I want to get soul stones.

Yeah, and the few times you do fight, it is like 20 vs 1.

Either way, it isn't fun. It isn't fun being on the outnumbered side, it isn't fun being on the outnumbering side.

That is why it would be better to have a boost system so people on the outnumbered side are more willing to PvP.

On the other hand, I've noticed that not many people do open world PvP in the lower level areas except for dailies.

Part of the problem is that this OW PvP has PvE objectives that you need to farm for things.  So if another side has more players, it just means they get to farm their stuff.  There's no super solid benefit to actually fighting another player, so there's no incentive to even things up.

I'll be curious to see how/if this is handled.  I wouldn't be surprised if nothing was done, unfortunately.  Players could make it even and fun, but then they wouldn't get their rewards at an optimally fast speed, so why would they?  Competition is for the arena.  Rewards are what they OW for.

it would be nice if the npcs would be harder to kill. 
I understand its OW and all that but.... when its 4+ 45s with 4xk hp and little me with 17k hp, its a bit silly. theyve been farming these guys for atleast a few hours now. 

CZ38gVDW0AQADQS.jpg

There is a limit per channel. No matter which faction is stronger, there cant be more than 100 (i think) players in one region, that means, no matter what faction a good guild is in, it can easily farm the pve aspects of the game just by properly managing their players. Don't care so much about which faction has more players, is really not important, be them alts or not. It all depends on how organized people are. 10 organized people will smash the heads in of 50 lost ducks.

If they want PvP to happen, they should have a limit per faction per channel, imo.  Then again, that might just make it so the side with a smaller population never gets to farm anywhere because they can't take on an equal number of the opposing faction.  Otherwise, it's just Channel Wars, trying to claim a channel for yourself to farm the NPCs and ignore the PvP.

Archived