Having a hard time as KFM against aasassins and force masters

zibouyah

I feel like the only way i can win againts them is if they screw up massively .

Assassins   i cant counter them or i proc an invis and when invis they can just pop 30% my hp bar while i cant do anything   (rinse and repeat)

And even when i get  a knock down i cant tech chasse them because they use theyr flash bang and i m just standing there waiting for them to come back again and blow me up.

Force masters  the fact that they can lock you root you and prevent me form even using a gap closer just *cricket*s me up  and even when i get near they i still got the debuf that makes me unable to turn arond and face them ... in most cases i stun them and cant even follow up with a combo because i m rooted facing the wrong direction and i can only punch air !!!

I know that getting better will help but its so frustrating to ONLY rely on your opponent screwing up in order to win .

you dont  get it   i dont care if a class is hard or not what i do care about is the fact that a counterplay to something is your opponent screwing up .

I would udnersatnd you if you said something on the line of " you dont do x that s why y works on you and you end up losing " .

I played my fair share of fighting games and i know how a match up works but if a match up relies on one party *cricket*ing up bigtime then there is an issue .

the fact that as a kfm you have no counterplay to an assassin going invisible is bad design  all your defensive tools rely on having a target .

That would be an issue if an assassin couldn t just combo you while still invisible . And when he isnt he just has to stay at a safe distance and w8 for cooldowns  ...but i know what you r goign to say " but thats when you strike "  well the issue is that all your gap closer are attacks and an assasin can just press 2 and you re screwed .

Now when i say i have to rely on the assassn screwing up it means he has to be very slow to react and not use his 2 on time   but considering that s the only thing he has to wtach for in the entire game  he must be very bad if he fails .

Idk what I'm doing wrong, but as an assassin KFM is one of the classes I can't beat (Maybe just not used to them haven't seen a lot.)

But when I do, they stunlock me and kill me, they also regen pretty well off grapple when my escape is down?

decoy is fairly easy to outplay, since of course, the assassin must use it in anticipation of something for it to work. i don't know your gaming experience so i'm not sure if this analogy will work for you, but think of decoy as a rogue's pre-cata vanish in wow. if you're trying to vanish(decoy) a blind or a death coil or some other instant cast spell, you must do it in anticipation, and like in wow, if its a projectile you're trying to vanish(decoy), then you use it as it hits you. thus, you can predict with some accuracy when a sin is going to decoy, and simply not hit them or knockdown it(decoy doesn't pop on knockdowns/knockups). also, the cooldown on decoy is 8(?) seconds, so if you do manage to get their decoy without popping it, you have 8 seconds to make something happen before you have to prepare for it again.

flashbang is a passive attached to sin abilities(their stealth escape and their stealth stance 3 as far as i'm aware), and both of those abilities have fairly long cooldowns given the pace of this game's pvp (i forget the exact numbers atm, but 3 is something like 30 seconds and i think stealth escape is 20? feel free to correct me on this), so if you can count those cooldowns and backstep away from it to avoid the blind, then you just have to watch for them and try to kite out their stealth since their only gap closers in stealth are said 3 cooldown, X and shadowslip(an ability i still don't quite understand, sometimes it's available and sometimes it's not).

i hope this helps vs sins, i main sin myself but my lack of game knowledge is crippling my ability to give solid tips *sigh*

EDIT: the decoy animation is also fairly easy to spot, it looks like some mr. miyagi wax-on-wax-off thing.

And those are the bad assassins ... trying to anticipate an attack with decoy helps me win 

I m talking about smart assassins just staying outside of your range after a combo and waiting for cooldowns   . All your gap closer have a fairly distinct animation and travel time that is hard to miss ... you see the kfm use a gap closer ? no then do nothing and wait . Yes ? then press 2 and profit

4 hours ago, zibouyah said:

And those are the bad assassins ... trying to anticipate an attack with decoy helps me win 

I m talking about smart assassins just staying outside of your range after a combo and waiting for cooldowns   . All your gap closer have a fairly distinct animation and travel time that is hard to miss ... you see the kfm use a gap closer ? no then do nothing and wait . Yes ? then press 2 and profit

I think you should abuse the ridiculously quick animation on your RB gap closer. It gives an extremely small window of opportunity to counter, and is quite possibly one of the quickest gap closers in the game. Another solid tip would be to spec your tab jump to the path on the far right. It'll get a harsh 1 min cooldown, but it'll also gain a huge radius, good damage, knock-up as well as piercing defense (blocking, countering, evasion/dodging etc.).

Also abuse the fact that you can actually SEE the assassin while they're stealthed. A well timed Z can really mess them up, though this becomes more viable later when we get access to the hongmoon secret arts that increases the radius on it.

I main KFM, but I don't have much experience fighting sins so this is all the tips I can give at this time. Hope it helps!

Hey! I'm a fellow KFM. I don't think it's too hard at all, personally. I chose the class knowing it will be extremely hard to learn and that's why I chose it. 

It's pretty hard for me most of the time playing on 80+ ping being in Canada and the server in Dallas (Stupid NCSoft) ((Not really)) But KFM is also a very ping dependent class. You also need to be on the ball, learn your abilities, learn combos, and do NOT be afraid to lose and most of all do NOT get upset when you lose. Instead, ask "How can I improve?" "What can I learn from my mistakes?"

The biggest *cricket* move I have come across with the assassin, is that damn flashbang thing they have (It's cool as hell but also equally as annoying) You just have to learn to time things. Try to count out and judge when they will attack you and remember most importantly, they need to get to your backside for most of their stuff, so, turn 180 degrees, block, iron shoulder, smite, RB and by the time all of that is done, it's clear as day, then get on with the fight, until they do it again.

As for FM (Freezing assbutts). The best you can do? CONSTANTLY use your block, close the gap, use the TAB freeze ability, and just stay on them as much as possible while dancing around them. 

This is the best I've gotten and so far I am at 1650+

My only suggestion is to check out Aalaguna on twitch, he explained in his last day's video how to counter FM's. He also admitted that sins have an advantage over KFMs so it all depends on luck. Another point, don't give up on kfm, it's all practice, check out Mosh47 on twitch too, he has played kfm for only a month but already got plat. Very nice guy, and you probably could ask questions from him.

I'm a lvl 36 KFM and I can tell you from experience that sins and Force masters are my biggest and almost only threat. I'm slowly learning how to fight them. Before long I will own them. It's only a matter of time and the same can be said for you. From research on playstyle and builds you can find much information on how to make the right choices for pvp and how to fight each different class. 

That being said there are a few main skills that you really really need for a pvp build. Q and E abilites at tier 3  because you get some hp on resist and movement speed. That massive dmg tab attack. Abilities that give you back hp like that grapple. Mobility is your friend. Just like how those sins move around you and the destroyers spin around you and the force masters kite around you in circles. You need to do the same. Stay moving. backstep can freeze and give you 50% movement speed. 

The next thing you really need is some stun abilities. And searing palm attack is your massive stun that stuns the shite out of things and gives you the ability to nearly stunlock someone. It's your biggest advantage! but you have to wait for lvl 45 to get it.  Dazes help too. Temor works great for this. 

After continually being owned by sins today I finally started to get wins by seeing how they attack and figuring out what I needed to do to avoid them. That flashbang they lay on the ground.. backstepping or sidestepping can avoid blinding you. After that its a matter of mobility and getting some range on them so you can move in for the attack. once you're comboing some shin kicks, dazes and stuns they will not be bunny hopping all over the damn place so much. Same goes for Force masters. 

Now the force masters can be dealt with by using ice sheath. There is another on the left side of that skill tree as well that is useful for force masters. Find which works best for you.  I find Ice sheath works great as a sheild and as a root for bunny hoppers. Now you can move in for some combos. But be ready to move for both classes. Let them waste their cc's. 

Counter is your friend. You don't have to use it all the time but timed properly while they toss ranged attacks helps mitigate dmg until you can get into a good pace. Tab and rmb are your closers. There may be more but i'm not an expert here yet. 

With all this being said, shin kick, triple kick, and flurry help put out some good dmg quickly.  LMB and 2 aren't used much. You'll need to learn the 3 Rmb F combo. It really works. Also counter is speced on the left gives you resistance to stun and daze as well as 50%hp on counter so thats another reason to use it for ranged attacks cause they are going to use cc's when they aren't doing much. This is where you make them waste them. Also there are skills that give us an I-frame . I'm not exactly sure how it works yet but you'll need to look it up. 

Lastly, i'm no expert and still have much to learn. Until we get to 45 it's gonna be tough in pvp. Until then, watch this:  

as it is an amazing site and much can be learned by how they are playing. I only wish they posted their build. Might be worth commenting and asking them. I know I'm going to. 

Archived