Player Moderators.

Despondency

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Must be new to the Internet. Player moderated forums have always been historically a disaster. Favoritism is just the beginning of all the problems player run forums have experienced in the past.

Always has and always will be a very bad idea.

Just now, SpyderBite said:

Wow. Must be new to the Internet. Player moderated forums have always been historically a disaster. Favoritism is just the beginning of all the problems player run forums have experienced in the past.

I don't believe you have read the thread. We aren't on about a player moderated forum, we are on about mute positions in-world for a select few people who have been chosen as moderators in each server.

Just now, Kitah said:

I don't believe you have read the thread. We aren't on about a player moderated forum, we are on about mute positions in-world for a select few people who have been chosen as moderators in each server.

My bad. I did indeed misunderstand. However, in my defense, the term "moderator" has never been used to describe an in-game presence. Only forums and chat rooms.

4 minutes ago, SpyderBite said:

Could you start your comment like more of a douche bag? Player moderation on the forum is not what OP said in the slightest. Learn to read.

3 minutes ago, SpyderBite said:

My bad. I did indeed misunderstand. However, in my defense, the term "moderator" has never been used to describe an in-game presence. Only forums and chat rooms.

You called my new to the Internet. :s in-game moderators have been around on a lot of games. As I have mentioned various times, RuneScape employed this method, and I may add that it was done rather flawlessly, never saw many of them power abusing.

So the game will be like reddit.

Player moderator: Are you Korean?

Sori Hijoon: No

Player Moderator: Cultural appropriation, Check your privilege racist,  I'm changing your name and banning you from you all chat.

As a paying customer I fully support and encourage NCSoft hiring employees to moderate chat, hopefully they will deal with all the gold spammers so they can see the offensive players. However, I refuse to support a system where I pay to be victimized by some other customer or F2P who is a biased fanatic who hates me because I killed him in pvp once before. I have no interest in spending a week dealing with customer service to get chat rights or name back because I sell a crafted item cheaper or pvped someone better.

Then there is political chat. We all know from experience that it will be one sided moderation. Where demonizing one side in chat is allowed and anyone who questions it gets chat banned.

As much as I second this idea, I don't think many players would qualify as "moderator worthy", nor do I think NCSoft would ever do this, them being bigass company who don't need no pmods.

But if they do, I'm willing. Shit, they should put me in the UX team >.<

The only thing a "pmod" has to have, is objectivity. That's already hard to find Lol.

7 hours ago, Despondency said:

I really cannot see a way for this idea to backfire. Chose helpful players and give them an ability to mute players for a day. Add a little tag near their name so people know who to go to for help, much like the medal for PvP, but everywhere. Check their logs constantly to see if they're doing their job etc.

I was a player moderator in RuneScape for many years, and I know that it's a cliche, but it worked so well. You begin to counter the spambot issue for free, practically. Many people would be glad to help. Especially those that would love a job, but things hold them back. Seriously, I know a lot that would accept it to just rid of the spambots.

I like all of this except for the part of being seen.  I'd want to be invis as I think maybe after a while the spammers themselves would recognize the char and just stop spamming while I'm in that zone.  Besides while I don't mind being helpful, I wouldn't want to spammed with questions from people while I was trying to block folks nor do I want to ignore them and make them feel 'un'helped. 

11 hours ago, Offended said:

Player Moderator: Cultural appropriation, Check your privilege racist,  I'm changing your name and banning you from you all chat.

As a paying customer I fully support and encourage NCSoft hiring employees to moderate chat, hopefully they will deal with all the gold spammers so they can see the offensive players. However, I refuse to support a system where I pay to be victimized by some other customer or F2P who is a biased fanatic who hates me because I killed him in pvp once before. I have no interest in spending a week dealing with customer service to get chat rights or name back because I sell a crafted item cheaper or pvped someone better.

Then there is political chat. We all know from experience that it will be one sided moderation. Where demonizing one side in chat is allowed and anyone who questions it gets chat banned.

A lot of different information has been passed through the thread, which counters most of that instantly.

10 hours ago, Vinter said:

As much as I second this idea, I don't think many players would qualify as "moderator worthy", nor do I think NCSoft would ever do this, them being bigass company who don't need no pmods.

But if they do, I'm willing. Shit, they should put me in the UX team >.<

The only thing a "pmod" has to have, is objectivity. That's already hard to find Lol.

There's more people that wouldn't qualify than those that would, but at the same time there's plenty of well meaning players. Being a big company doesn't really mean much, honestly. While they've implemented a fix for the spambot issue, it'll continue. The spambots will just bot to level 15 or 10 and then spam again, with little issue.

8 hours ago, Seemslegit said:

Are you Korexican ?

What?

8 hours ago, Kensho1996 said:

though I agree with the OP I bet that there is some law some where about this ..

and you always have to worry about favoritism later on

still not a bad idea as the player GMs in old EQ year ago (1998) did awesome jobs

As stated throughout the thread, signings of a ToS and a contract, with your real details wears off most trolls.

8 hours ago, Shautru said:

I like all of this except for the part of being seen.  I'd want to be invis as I think maybe after a while the spammers themselves would recognize the char and just stop spamming while I'm in that zone.  Besides while I don't mind being helpful, I wouldn't want to spammed with questions from people while I was trying to block folks nor do I want to ignore them and make them feel 'un'helped. 

The spammers are using an autotyper, I doubt even if you were in a area they'd see you.

On 1/26/2016 at 10:15 AM, Despondency said:

Your child shouldn't be on an M rated game if you don't want them seeing profanity, however that doesn't excuse its use. I'm sure your children have heard worse, the music that is being released is questionable at most these days.

Where does it say Mature? Or 16+ or whatever. I just looked all over their website, and could find no mention.

On 1/27/2016 at 0:02 PM, Catgravy said:

You must be one of those that would get muted by anyone who had access. Not just me.

And you are exactly the type of person that shouldn't be a moderator. Also, the game is obviously rated M, letting your kids play such a game when they aren't that age is fine but don't go around complaining when they see some profanity in the chat. Blame the parent, not the game.

I don't see an issue with player moderators, I think the rights should be fine tuned a bit, Perhaps reporting priority, so when a moderator reports it gets extra attention. and perhaps only certain moderators have chat mute rights, more for offensive players then botters to stop inappropriate conversation on global chats.

On 1/26/2016 at 11:44 AM, Offended said:

You know a paid employee can hate you. At least, you can prove that a player is being biased. 

Archived