Gold Spammers Everywhere

Glyndwr

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • NCSOFT
10 minutes ago, Zarozian said:

So you guys can't just move in and straight up ban them on the spot? =/

Community Managers do not have the tools to take actions on in-game accounts, which is why we direct players to the customer support team as they have employees dedicated to taking care of them as soon as they receive the reports.

I'd like to know how come the Currency Exchange is not activated ? seems strange to me it would reduce or at least take away alot of profit from these gold sellers, plus free up alot of login and server spaces that seems to be a huge problem at moment, instead of making more servers, get rid of the gold sellers, seems the most logical answer and I'm sure alot easier to implement than creating more servers that in a few months time with be empty, causing yet another problem.

The amount of Gold sellers spamming chat is insane, I seriously can not believe it is being allowed to continue, it takes up practically ALL general chat.

Also I am getting the DeJa vu feeling concerning why the currency exchange is not activated, which kind of binds players to look elsewhere if they need in game currency, which seems a very bad decision buy the publisher, in fact from a business point of view its crazy.

I have seen this very same system in quite a few other games, also deliberately not working at launch and also the chat permanently full of gold sellers, one well known game I remember, quite recently it came to light the main gold seller operating through the games chat turned out to be affiliated with the games publisher, in fact they had the same parent company LOL

While other games who have seriously tried and wanted to do something about Gold sellers have simply put a restriction on chat until players reach a certain level which reduced the spam by a huge amount and so easy to implement. As for new players if they are wanting to play with friends they can just use friends list etc from lvl 1 so they can chat with friends from any level so there is no problem.

I honestly don't see how hard it would be to have a super admin accounts working on servers monitoring these spammers and banning them on the spot.

This user submitted to support, then support looks into it, then decides if its ban worthy, then bans, seems like you're taking way too many steps to do a simple process. Most of which you can quickly tell if its a bogus account just by clicking on the user. 

Granted what do I know... I don't develop games for a living, I don't have over 10 years experience in dealing with gold bots... 

I would think Hard Action Pro-Active immediate bans would help deter the gold sellers. Within three days I've already blocked over 20 bot gold sellers, and I don't even play that much.

3 minutes ago, chieftain20 said:

I honestly don't see how hard it would be to have a super admin accounts working on servers monitoring these spammers and banning them on the spot.

This user submitted to support, then support looks into it, then decides if its ban worthy, then bans, seems like you're taking way too many steps to do a simple process. Most of which you can quickly tell if its a bogus account just by clicking on the user. 

Granted what do I know... I don't develop games for a living, I don't have over 10 years experience in dealing with gold bots... 

I would think Hard Action Pro-Active immediate bans would help deter the gold sellers. Within three days I've already blocked over 20 bot gold sellers, and I don't even play that much.

but he gave you a good reason of why He/her themselves cannot take immediate action. As much as im sure they would like to.

12 minutes ago, Rukkirii said:

Community Managers do not have the tools to take actions on in-game accounts, which is why we direct players to the customer support team as they have employees dedicated to taking care of them as soon as they receive the reports.

Do you think we can get some more restrictions added to the chat in order to reduce the spam? And perhaps a bigger block list. I'm completely out of room from block and report. Its insane.

• NCSOFT
1 minute ago, CosmicGlitter said:

Do you think we can get some more restrictions added to the chat in order to reduce the spam? And perhaps a bigger block list. I'm completely out of room from block and report. Its insane.

We've recently commented about the topic in this thread here. :)

2 hours ago, Rukkirii said:

Greetings Kensho1996! The development team are currently looking into increasing the block list capacity. In the meantime, feel free to delete the oldest blocked contacts as they are more than likely to have been taken care of. :)

Thanks for your help with reporting these players! We really do appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Rukkirii said:

We are also working on more counter-measures against RMT on top of looking into increasing the block list. These measures are coming soon and will require server downtime to be implemented. We want to make sure we can implement as many as we can before we take down the servers for these changes. 

In the meantime, you may also report these players to customer support as they have a team dedicated to their removal from the game.  You can report a player through a ticket here.

1 hour ago, Rukkirii said:

We are also working on more counter-measures against RMT on top of looking into increasing the block list.

hang on..

how long has NCSoft been in the MMO business?

how come after all these years do you not have strategies and systems in place today to deal with it? I mean yes this is the NA/EU release of BnS but the game has been out in other regions for years, so why are we seeing day-one first-mmo type problems? It's truly bizarre.

Why are we not seeing radically different approaches to solving this problem? In all other MMO's i've played reporting is a poor way to clear out gold selling. Other options such as limiting access to chat also don't really work (either through level requirements or regex based detection and filtering.) - spammers find ways around this. Out of all of them I find Black Desert Online's approach at least interesting - there it uses an energy resource to type in global chat. this resource is also used for crafting and gathering so it's limited and regens slowly. Yes it means it's difficult for people to help and answer questions for an extended period of time but it might work there as it's not a free to play game so spammers cant just keep making new characters.

So, Blade & Soul - If your only way to combat goldseller spam is player reporting (crowdsourcing)  then give us the reporting options at all levels in all types of chat! For example low level players cannot appear to report spammers or bots when using the Esc-Character menu in game. Also there is no way at low levels of reporting people using the Party Announce to spam gold adverts in chat - the right-click option has no Report feature available. (each of these I've submitted tickets for btw)

Increasing the blocklist is treating the symptoms, not fixing the cause. However, if this is the only way you see players as being able to protect yourself then add functionality to the blocklist. for example:

• allow us to annotate a blocked player so we can describe why they were blocked - I'm more often blocking people that spout racist and bigoted garbage in chat and have no need to remove them ever, but being able to clear my list of spammers now and then would be useful
  • give us more Block menu options such as (Report and Block for spam) and then annotate this blocked player for us automatically - or hell just make a (Block Temporarily) option which adds them to a list for 30 days or something.
  • allow for shared blocklists we can subscribe to - perhaps make it a guild feature :) though i guess this can be abused. but basically I want the benefit of the crowdsourcing you are so keen to use as a way to combat spam. Let me select a threshold say like 20 reports. Any player that is reported for spam more than that number of times is auto-silenced in my chats without the need for me to actively have them on a block list. I shouldn't have to wait until a GM has verified or actioned a ticket or a thousand reports. By the time it's done the gold sellers have moved on to a new character, and we need the benefit of the silencing now!

Anyhoo - back to the game and back to having all public-type chat removed from my panel since goldselling spam is so rife. FWIW I had a tonne of fun playing on one of the new servers yesterday where there were no gold selling chat spams - and people were asking questions (and being racist) and trying to trade gear and it was what a community supposed to be. entertaining. 

• NCSOFT
3 minutes ago, CosmicGlitter said:

Great! Thanks for pointing those out. Can't wait for the changes to go live ~

Me tooooo! xD Even all of us in the office are reporting RMT as we see them. Trust me, we despise them as much as everyone else!

Ok honestly I don't think we should have to report anything.  Anyone in a starting zone can see them i'd expect NCsoft to simply log into the game and see who is spamming and deal with it.  I can understand that they are creating accounts at a very fast speed and its not the absolute fix for the problem.   But the lack of response right now is killing zone chat.  By the time anyone gets to the second zone no one is talking any more because everyone turned off zone chat.  Trust me when I say you don't want a game with people who don't talk in zone chat.  It destroys a lot of people who would normally stick around and new players who just want to ask a simple question.  I think one of the possible fixes is to ban the exact ip of the gold sellers for 48 hours so they cannot create new accounts without resetting their routers.  You could also make it so players must be lvl 10 before they can talk in zone chat.  Then when someone tries to sell gold at least they have to spend 30 minutes before they can do it again.

28 minutes ago, Rukkirii said:

28 minutes ago, BourneEndeavour said:

I figure they want to try and find a more permanent solution. Banning bots does little since the people making them will create more. You need to find the source and ban them. 

I know that but that takes too long.

Right now a fast solution is best. After locking the servers to prevent new characters from being created on it, they should take initiative and ban them on the spot. Also it feels like contacting  support takes time from what I've seen, since the OP still sees the same bot in faction chat days later.

And thanks for responding to us, Rukkirii~

12 minutes ago, enem said:

hang on..

how long has NCSoft been in the MMO business?

how come after all these years do you not have strategies and systems in place today to deal with it? I mean yes this is the NA/EU release of BnS but the game has been out in other regions for years, so why are we seeing day-one first-mmo type problems? It's truly bizarre.

Agree, its crazy, for a company like this I can not understand why this is happening at all, and more so how nothing is being done

7 minutes ago, Vigopl said:

Ok honestly I don't think we should have to report anything.  Anyone in a starting zone can see them i'd expect NCsoft to simply log into the game and see who is spamming and deal with it.  I can understand that they are creating accounts at a very fast speed and its not the absolute fix for the problem.   But the lack of response right now is killing zone chat.  By the time anyone gets to the second zone no one is talking any more because everyone turned off zone chat.  Trust me when I say you don't want a game with people who don't talk in zone chat.  It destroys a lot of people who would normally stick around and new players who just want to ask a simple question.  I think one of the possible fixes is to ban the exact ip of the gold sellers for 48 hours so they cannot create new accounts without resetting their routers.  You could also make it so players must be lvl 10 before they can talk in zone chat.  Then when someone tries to sell gold at least they have to spend 30 minutes before they can do it again.

Banning the IP won't do much since they can just use a VPN, or like you said, reset the router. That is a minor inconvenience for the bots, but won't keep them out.

Putting a level lock on the zone chat can help,  but also  hinders new players. But, it has worked in other games and I would not be opposed to it.

15 minutes ago, enem said:

Perhaps the other regions have something that counters this...AHEMAHEMcurrencyexchangeAHEMAHEM

Be patient, it's a rough launch they're working on it.

Problem with gold-selling bots is that whoever programs them, always reprograms them to overcome security measures. I'm surprised they haven't started mass-whispering to everyone, since you can get a list of names just by pressing one letter via character profile's search. One thing that boggles my mind: why isn't the feature 'Report Spamming" working? Got bots from headstart: unblocking them and I see their spam again. It feels as if the tools given to the player are merely toys that actually do nothing.

Archived