Gold Spammers Everywhere

Glyndwr

Hello, I have been playing on Dochun server to escape from queue. When I started there was about 4-5 spams in faction chat every 2 hours, now its about 20-30 chat spams per 30 minutes... Its impossible to block them all. I cannot see any clan chats because of this, when I try to make a new chat window it doesnt let me apply the settings. Please fix these darn bots I cant communicate with anyone !

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A small bump in here. Maybe you should consider changing faction chat to be only available after a certain high level such as 20+. This would punish some of the players but it would allow one of the most important channels to be free of spam from botters. My block list is full and its only been a few days, I know for a fact many others have the same issues, it's probably been stated on this thread most likely, I haven't read all the pages :P

Anyway. I hope you do consider being more aggressive towards spam bots. They are taking away from our experience.

This has gotten out of hand. First few days, fine. Block and go about my business. The last couple days, it's gotten so bad that faction is quiet and no one can communicate properly. They are like a hydra. Block one, and a few more take it's place. I can't even block them all tonight because (after I emptied it tonight) I hit the 50 cap on blocking AND THEY ARE STILL GOING....GMs need to get off their booty and do something because I am not putting another dime on this game until this is fixed to a reasonable point. 

xkufzq7o1

http://postimg.org/image/xkufzq7o1/

The quality of game companys has gone downhill in terms of Active GM's monitoring servers the past few years.  I remember back when Perfect World International first launched in the US there were lots of active GM's online that you can actually see ingame and talk too, those were the days.  Now you can barely find GM's online ingame, yes its a business, yes they need to get paid, but the treatment and execution of how they handle things isn't really deserving of getting paid.  Do good work get paid, do bad work don't get paid. 

Invest and support your product and ppl will buy it and support it, spend some to get some.

I keep running into little clusters of obvious bots in the world, and as much as I'd like to report each and every one of them as bots, they are way too tightly packed in together to actually right click on.

It's like I'm watching the hatchlings run for the sea at this point.

If you look at the profile of the bots most of them are only level 5 (the level you are at when you get through the training area?). A pretty simple fix would be to make it so you can not use all chat until you are level 10. It will be kind of annoying for people who need help and have just started the game, but the start of the game is relatively straight forward, and they would still be able to use party chats or any chat that is not an ALL chat.

The spammers are coming in waves of 30-50 at a time, all using random faceroll-a-keyboard names, and cycling every 5-15 minutes. They're basically completely overwhelming the game's terribly limited method of dealing with them, as by the time you report-and-block them all the next wave comes along and your block list is full. (No modern MMO should ever, ever have a block list with less than one thousand slots in it. Fifty is pointless.) Faction chat is already effectively useless, at least on my server.

Here's how to stop this nonsense, but I would be amazed if NCsoft implements this...

Have the BnS site generate a persistent GUID during account creation, and hand that to the client during the first login from a given account on each machine that logs into any account with a GUID on the site but no matching GUID on the client. And if a client with a GUID logs into an account with a different GUID, update the account GUID to match so that the newly logged-into account is tagged with the client's GUID. This would make it trivial to identify multiple logins into the same account from multiple machines, and in turn make botnets much more obvious slash detectable via automated means. This should be rather easy to implement with only slight modifications to the existing authentication system.

Stopping RMT chat automatically then becomes pretty straightforward. If enough people (say 5% of the total server population at the time) report-and-block the same target, automatically mute them for 24 hours on the first offense. Double the penalty time each time the report-and-ban figures trip the mute. Use the GUID to track accounts across the same machine(s) so RMT crews can't jump machines/accounts and dodge the mute.

1 minute ago, ActiumPraetor said:

The spammers are coming in waves of 30-50 at a time, all using random faceroll-a-keyboard names, and cycling every 5-15 minutes. They're basically completely overwhelming the game's terribly limited method of dealing with them, as by the time you report-and-block them all the next wave comes along and your block list is full. (No modern MMO should ever, ever have a block list with less than one thousand slots in it. Fifty is pointless.) Faction chat is already effectively useless, at least on my server.

Here's how to stop this nonsense, but I would be amazed if NCsoft implements this...

Have the BnS site generate a persistent GUID during account creation, and hand that to the client during the first login from a given account on each machine that logs into any account with a GUID on the site but no matching GUID on the client. And if a client with a GUID logs into an account with a different GUID, update the account GUID to match so that the newly logged-into account is tagged with the client's GUID. This would make it trivial to identify multiple logins into the same account from multiple machines, and in turn make botnets much more obvious slash detectable via automated means. This should be rather easy to implement with only slight modifications to the existing authentication system.

Stopping RMT chat automatically then becomes pretty straightforward. If enough people (say 5% of the total server population at the time) report-and-block the same target, automatically mute them for 24 hours on the first offense. Double the penalty time each time the report-and-ban figures trip the mute. Use the GUID to track accounts across the same machine(s) so RMT crews can't jump machines/accounts and dodge the mute.

Good luck getting them to stop it fam. I can't even read chat anymore. I can't talk in faction or region. The bots have won. I give up.

I thought that adding more slots to the blacklist would fix the problem. But it doesnt matter if you have 10, 50, or a million slots. They're making new accounts too quickly. I emptied my list as a test today, and it took me 13 minutes to block 50 new spammers! (and I have REALLY bad reflexes --had I been quicker it would have taken me way less than that)

Hey, anyone notice how there's never any quartz? And how the marketplace has listings of upwards of 50's?

Well, I saw a bot come and mine up all the sillicate I was running for. They glitch-teleported forward faster than I could sprint, too. We REALLY need a fix for all of these dudes.

2 minutes ago, 846806_1452550169 said:

I thought that adding more slots to the blacklist would fix the problem. But it doesnt matter if you have 10, 50, or a million slots. They're making new accounts too quickly. I emptied my list as a test today, and it took me 13 minutes to block 50 new spammers! (and I have REALLY bad reflexes --had I been quicker it would have taken me way less than that)

This. The company took too long to formulate a response, and did not have the proper safeguards put in place to prevent this. It's like they were expecting GameGuard to handle everything, despite the fact it apparently has a really shoddy reputation, and thought additional safeguards were unnecessary.

Now look at this. It looks like a crappy private server, when you combine the current bot rampage with the haphazard localization job.

This is not how a money-maker looks, not one that survives anyway.

2 minutes ago, 882260_1452550489 said:

Yeah see, 3-4 years isn't enough time to prepare for these things.  Its always last minute, oh we didn't know kinda attitude from company's.  Heck, NCsoft probably doesn't even have gamers, just a bunch of corporate suit wearing idiots only knowing how to fill their pockets.

Nah, those dudes would know how to market it. The only reason I know about BnS is because I've been watching it since it went live in Korea.

1 minute ago, VocalMagic said:

Not at all, they glitch-teleport along the ground faster than sprinting.

ok so during the tutorial gliding from one place to another won't work kinda like island to island and if you fall you have to restart, they could just teleport, i thought this would be a fun learning experience as well but to help reduce bot numbers as well

2 minutes ago, Cragos said:

LOL Just found a spam bot that i can't block ( i have space in the list) and when you check his profile it says service not available.  

if you check most faction chat all bots will say unlivable unless it's a region then you can check there items

Archived