Gold Spammers Everywhere

Glyndwr

Filtering by words won't work. The client can show Unicode characters, so they can replace some characters with lookalikes from Cyrillic or Greek etc.

This would work 100%:

1. Remove common emoticons

2. See if character distribution matches that of normal language, e.g. if there are too many special characters like (\ or digits or some mixing of different code pages mark this text as suspicious.

3. Strip special characters and compare message to previous one to see how similar it is with fuzzy string matching algorithm. If so mark text and suspicious.

4. If  client has too many suspicious messages in time period, block and ban it.

Funny thing I could code foolproof solution myself...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have reading this post and a lot of people are saying some thing that make me think: are really gold sellers the spammers? Why destroy the game where you want to make money? Why make the people hate your services? 

In this moment there is more than 50 bots that are occupying the slots of players and they are inflating the free queue. Absolute innecesary because if you want to sell gold you only need to send a message every 2-3 minutes in a faction chat, for example, and that's all you need to announce your services. Why this ridiculous spam? 

Now everybody hate gold sellers, players are leaving the game or stoping playing (like me) and NCSoft are overwhelm with all this problem. 

This problem stink and not about gold sellers. Someone want to *cricket* with NCSoft.

5 minutes ago, Maeba said:

I have reading this post and a lot of people are saying some thing that make me think: are really gold sellers the spammers? Why destroy the game where you want to make money? Why make the people hate your services? 

Now everybody hate gold sellers. NCSoft are overwhelm with all this problem. Players are leaving the game or stoping playing (like me). But why?

The answer is simple: because there's people supporting them.

Even while being so annoying with these spams and destroying the game economy, they don't give a shit about us legit players as long they bait a few who is willing to give them cash.

4 hours ago, disguymAn said:

Most of the bots are in faction chat, if they raise the level limit then noobs wont have anywhere to ask questions in game.

There could just be some list ig of people that are helpers and any newbye is shown the list and can whisper one of those people. (list only shows the online people)

13 minutes ago, Somnolence said:

Filtering by words won't work. The client can show Unicode characters, so they can replace some characters with lookalikes from Cyrillic or Greek etc.

This would work 100%:

1. Remove common emoticons

2. See if character distribution matches that of normal language, e.g. if there are too many special characters like (\ or digits or some mixing of different code pages mark this text as suspicious.

3. Strip special characters and compare message to previous one to see how similar it is with fuzzy string matching algorithm. If so mark text and suspicious.

4. If  client has too many suspicious messages in time period, block and ban it.

Funny thing I could code foolproof solution myself...

agreed there, merely meant my solution as a client side addition to the playername blocklist. (your solution could work, but may be a bit heavy and create chatlag)

Was this really a surprise to anyone who's played with NCSoft before?

They said the same thing about Aion. "We're implementing measures to cull the botting." Guess what happened? It did nothing. They do need to take care of these in BnS if they want the server queues to stop and people to stop quitting over both the spam and the endless queues, but I don't really have much faith that they will.

And yes, that is a US server in the video, just a couple of years ago. Way after they implemented "fixes" to prevent botting, yet it was still rampant and I'm sure still is now. All they ever told us to do was report the bots and move on. It wasn't effective there and it won't be effective here.

25 minutes ago, Kipsatee said:

agreed there, merely meant my solution as a client side addition to the playername blocklist. (your solution could work, but may be a bit heavy and create chatlag)

Not really, computers are fast enough nowadays. The only real problem is if this solution is not done by NCSoft but as a third party anti-spam application running alongside the client, game guard will need to be taken care off like its done by bots so it does not flag it and this is something that will never allowed due to legal reasons... Unless it would fall into acceptable gray area like some gamedevs turning blind eye to modding for games not explicitly supporting them.

Nah, better do nothing and let game become irrelevant like every other Korean MMO.

if they don't implement something FAST , ncfail will have a biiiiiiiig problems. 

The mowst efective imo right now ,untill a viable solution ,is if they rise the interval for sending a mesage from 0 sec to 30 or so ...... but if this is client-side modification nvm :))

You mods eaven loghed in and tryed to talk on faction chat with someone? Because we players get only promises for a matter that requres emergency maintainance to be solved. No solutions untill now ? sad, very sad ..

5 minutes ago, jam201984 said:

i did make a post about me looking for a job, i will happily sit logged in on the server im on and ban every spam bot i see, and im on most of the day and night.

And i will do it for FREE lol

Free is too much for ncsoft. You'll have to pay them.

I love the area chatt in some games in the MMO world., Barrens chatt was one of my favorites back in the mid 2000-s. B&S is a great game but the social part between players are greatly damaged bu the inability to use the chatt due to gold spammers.

Archived