Wtf is a "Jyan" and why does everyone keep calling my character that?

QueenSheba

On 26/01/2016 at 9:26 PM, Victorion said:

You´re absolutely right Hanakoi, I recognized elements from both Korean, China and Japan as well. I wouldn´t be surprised to see nordic, celtic and other cultural influence iether, The game seems to borrow inspiration everywhere.

Just notice one of the loading screens where it says Pohoran or "pohwaran". It´s a girl with a gatlin gun - anybody thinking another mmo?

hqdefault.jpg

Pohwaran is suppose to be the translation of 爆花蘭(exploding flower if directly translated lel)  which is in mandarin, a very olden kind of name I guess.  That's her chinese name btw, since I saw it on the chinese version of the wallpaper.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never play bns Korea but I know some basic Korean (thanks to kpop&kdrama) ..... I'm surprised! how come 막내 (maknae) become cricket????????.??

Maknae means the youngest in a family or group. So your youngest one in the family is called Maknae. Korean culture is all about hierarchy. Even if u are younger than someone by a month, unless you two are friends or cool with each other, you should show respect to that person. 

So our character is actually the youngest in the Hongmoon clan and somehow survived Jinsoyun.

wth maknae becomes cricket in english lol

I'm going to post some quotes from the old Open Discussion with English Localization thread from back in beta, where several others and myself included have asked this question and the Senior writer for the "localization" team they had replied about it with explanation on why and how they came up with such choice of words and what they actually mean.

My post:

As for me that can speak Korean, wth does "Jyan" and "Jyansei" mean??? I've never heard of such term in my life unless it's also a weird twisted form of another word during translation...

Please explain the origin of this term from dev's point :c

Dochun explains "what it means" in the game:

"I like your determination. Within the world of warriors, Jyans who have attained greatness are known and Jyansei. I'd like to think I bear witness to a Jyansei in the making."

Going by that explanation, is the term Jyansei supposed to mean "Junsa" perhaps?

Junsa is one of the words that means warrior in Korean. I can't think of any other word that comes close to Jyansei.

Even if it's what Junsa is supposed to be...we don't call Junsas as Jun (like Jyan) in Korean >.>

I think using Sohyup and Daehyup would've been better like they do in KR.

Replacing Jyan with Sohyup and Jyansei with Daehyup would make perfect sense.

Sohyup refers to those out in the world of warriors calling others/each other with it (as cheesy as that sounds, I'm out sure how else to translate Gangho. In this case, don't think of the "world" as referring to our entire world).

Daehyup is a higher up term refering to Sohyups with various achievements and reasons, such as ones that has done a great deed, called by from the person a Sohyup saved, well-known or old aged warriors, etc.

So according to Dochun's explanation, Daehyup would be a perfect replacement for Jyansei.

LWS's reply to the question:

In regards to Jyan/Jyansei - as Vivien observed, this matter has been discussed prior in this thread.

The somewhat sporadic use of the term is due to the nature of the NPCs who use it.  As mentioned before, it is an indicator of how involved they are in the world of martial artists, as it is meant to be a proper term for a warrior based on their level of competency/accomplishment.  Most common folk don't know the first thing about martial artists beyond them being warriors, so they'll just refer to them as "Warrior" or something similar.  Other NPCs who are accomplished martial artists themselves (such as Dochun, Madun, or the various Cerulean/Crimson Faction NPCs) will regularly refer to the PC as Jyan or Jyansei depending on what part of the story the player is at/the overall position of the NPC in question.

The terms Sohyup and Daehyup were among the suggested names to use for this situation, particularly as the term "Daehyup" was commonly used in the original KO.  However, as was the case with "bopae" and "ching gong", we were instructed to change it to something more immediately accessible in spite of any actual relevancy the original term carried.  This name in particular came with a lot of stress for the writing/localization team as we were effectively told that we couldn't use the original term, but had to invent an entirely new pair of associated words that encompassed a whole bunch of different concepts (being a martial artist, being a wandering warrior, being a helpful person who protected the public, being inexperienced/experienced, etc), while still sounding like it belonged in the setting.  We went through a ton of different terms before finally getting a pair that the higher-ups were willing to sign off on.  It was a real headbutting-the-wall situation.

In terms of the origin of the words (and other various terms that appear in the game), we never just toss together a bunch of random syllables and say "Yeah, sure, that sounds Asian enough".  All terms are usually derivative of a similar term from another language, usually Korean, Chinese, or Vietnamese.  For example, "Jyan" is specifically derived from the Chinese word for "Sword": "Jiàn".

Hope that answers your questions.

Here's original post:

• 4 weeks later...

*shrug*

Just figured "Jyan" was a made up word to mean some sort of special hero/warrior in the game's culture. (edit:  that, as others have said, was explained)  (I have no problem with made up words.  Augerite?  Bulbari? Ploggle?  Gnarlox?  Jiangshi?  For all I know half the creature names are made up.  And I'm fine with that.)  Jyansei = Jyan & sensei conglomeration.  So, a master hero/warrior.

And yeah, figure cricket is just a non trademark version of grasshopper.  Seriously, don't see what the big deal is here.

1 hour ago, GnatB said:

*shrug*

Just figured "Jyan" was a made up word to mean some sort of special hero/warrior in the game's culture. (edit:  that, as others have said, was explained)  (I have no problem with made up words.  Augerite?  Bulbari? Ploggle?  Gnarlox?  Jiangshi?  For all I know half the creature names are made up.  And I'm fine with that.)  Jyansei = Jyan & sensei conglomeration.  So, a master hero/warrior.

And yeah, figure cricket is just a non trademark version of grasshopper.  Seriously, don't see what the big deal is here.

Jiangshi is not a made up word: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiangshi 

23 minutes ago, Rahaya said:

Jiangshi is not a made up word: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiangshi 

Yeah, I was intentionally transitioning between made up and real to try to demonstrate the following point that it's sort of irrelevant whether it's made up or not.  Some are, some aren't, and many of us English speaking folk don't necessarily know (or care) the difference if it's something we aren't familiar with.

Hello all,

Had to restart a Forcemaster because of a quest I could not complete, so I just did this. Episode 3, After the Hongmoon School is destroyed and you first speak to Captain Dodun on the beach during the Blackram Attack, he says, "I sense you are one with great potential. Jyan is the term used within the world of warriors for such a person."

Jyan: One with great potential. A Warrior with great potential.

Later, in Episode 4, when you go into Bamboo Village, you see Captain Dodun again in his home. There he says, "Within the world of warriors, Jyans who have attained greatness are known as Jyansei. 

Jyansei: A Jyan who has fulfilled his or her potential. A Jyan who has attained greatness. 

Michelle

3 hours ago, GnatB said:

Yeah, I was intentionally transitioning between made up and real to try to demonstrate the following point that it's sort of irrelevant whether it's made up or not.  Some are, some aren't, and many of us English speaking folk don't necessarily know (or care) the difference if it's something we aren't familiar with.

I think there is a relevant difference between naming a mob a made up word, and deciding that the player needed to be called something Asiany and making up a word. Sure, some groups of ignorant don't care either way, but for those that do its like...why?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2016 at 4:11 AM, Shar said:

In one of the first quests, Captain Dochun (the one who saved your ass from drowning) calls you that, it means you're some sort of a hero destined to great things.

^ this, all of us who read the main quest line would know this. Didn't need to google no korean stuff on my part.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Oh really, did someone just mention that mushin is a japanese that means heartless? too bad, it's written as 武神 in both Japanese kanji or Chinese.  Meaning the martial god.

And Jyansei probably is for 戦士 if you could pronounce it in Chinese, or it's Senshi in Japanese, this one is my guessing, but heartless is such nonsense

Archived