Wtf is a "Jyan" and why does everyone keep calling my character that?

QueenSheba

Anybody? According to google it's Korean for "John." Why the hell would all these random NPCs be calling me john?

You know for all the "localization" they did they could've at least gotten rid of stupid, utterly meaningless in English asian "titles" or whatever the hell "Jyan" is supposed to be. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, QueenSheba said:

Anybody? According to google it's Korean for "John." Why the hell would all these random NPCs be calling me john?

You know for all the "localization" they did they could've at least gotten rid of stupid, utterly meaningless in English asian "titles" or whatever the hell "Jyan" is supposed to be. 

In one of the first quests, Captain Dochun (the one who saved your ass from drowning) calls you that, it means you're some sort of a hero destined to great things.

Imagine you are in an old Chinese Kung Fu movie where they have a lot of different martial arts terms and legends and you are basically that thing. I'm just pretending i'm in Kung Fu Hussle because the story is funnier than it is serious atm. Still liking it though. 

'Jyan' or 'Jyansei'

Dochun explains "what it means" in the game:

"I like your determination. Within the world of warriors, Jyans who have attained greatness are known and Jyansei. I'd like to think I bear witness to a Jyansei in the making."

As for the cricket comment - bad translation from Korean. The korean word is maknae - which has no direct translation - basically Maknae is used by older people (this doesn´t mean old people, just people who are somewhat older than you and you should show respect to), when they refer to the youngest in a group. Usually a group of friends. I.e. in many korean popgroups, the youngest member is referred to as maknae.

17 minutes ago, Victorion said:

'Jyan' or 'Jyansei'

Dochun explains "what it means" in the game:

"I like your determination. Within the world of warriors, Jyans who have attained greatness are known and Jyansei. I'd like to think I bear witness to a Jyansei in the making."

As for the cricket comment - bad translation from Korean. The korean word is maknae - which has no direct translation - basically Maknae is used by older people (this doesn´t mean old people, just people who are somewhat older than you and you should show respect to), when they refer to the youngest in a group. Usually a group of friends. I.e. in many korean popgroups, the youngest member is referred to as maknae.

Sorry but explaining the relationship between a Jyan and Jyansei is not providing a definition of what a Jyan is in the first place. 

"In the world of warriors [this word that has not been defined yet] who have attained greatness are known as jyansei (or lvl 2 "word that has not been defined")."

29 minutes ago, Shar said:

In one of the first quests, Captain Dochun (the one who saved your ass from drowning) calls you that, it means you're some sort of a hero destined to great things.

Why do random NPCs who I just met keep calling me that? It just makes no sense. 

6 minutes ago, QueenSheba said:

Sorry but explaining the relationship between a Jyan and Jyansei is not providing a definition of what a Jyan is in the first place. 

"In the world of warriors [this word that has not been defined yet] who have attained greatness are known as jyansei (or lvl 2 "word that has not been defined")."

Jyan and Jyansei is used for the same meaning.

Both words are defined by Captain Dochun as stated above. Just because Dochun clarified the meaning, doesn´t mean that only he knows of it or is the only one to use it.
It seems like a story-term that most if not all the story-characters knows of.

Does it make sense now?

Badly translated korean. It ought to have been written like:

"I like your determination. Within the world of warriors, Jyans or Jyansei  are known for their greatness (potential greatness). I'd like to think I bear witness to a Jyansei in the making."

Personally, I don´t know any korean words that sounds like Jyan that make sense. I suspect the name is inspired from someone named Jyan or maybe Yuan.

4 minutes ago, QueenSheba said:

Why do random NPCs who I just met keep calling me that? It just makes no sense. 

Maybe word got out? Or they only call you that so the game reminds you you are important in some way.

But yeah it doesn't make sense if some random townie with a side quest calls you Jyan or Jyansei

11 minutes ago, Victorion said:

Jyan and Jyansei is used for the same meaning.

Both words are defined by Captain Dochun as stated above. Just because Dochun clarified the meaning, doesn´t mean that only he knows of it or is the only one to use it.
It seems like a story-term that most if not all the story-characters knows of.

Does it make sense now?

Badly translated korean. It ought to have been written like:

"I like your determination. Within the world of warriors, Jyans or Jyansei  are known for their greatness (potential greatness). I'd like to think I bear witness to a Jyansei in the making."

Personally, I don´t know any korean words that sounds like Jyan that make sense. I suspect the name is inspired from someone named Jyan or maybe Yuan.

Let me give you another example:

"In the world of Bogeymen, ookas or ookalakalakas are known for their greatness. I'd like to think I'm witnessing the making of an ookalakalaka."

So in this sentence, can you please tell me, what is an Ooka and an Ookalakalaka? If it is a bogeyman, why did I not just use the same word?

All Dochun "clarified" is that Jyan is a term in the "realm of warriors" -- doesn't specify what a jyan is. A type of warrior, duh? What type? WTF does it mean? And why do random strangers we encounter in game call us Jyan right away? Do we have a tattoo on our forehead? What makes a Jyan? All dochun explained is that an EXCEPTIONAL Jyan makes a JYANSEI. 

You should pretty much refer to Jyansei as "Martial Arts Master". And "master" not as someone who teaches, but someone who mastered them. NPCs call you a "jyan" in the same manner as they call you a "warrior". 

But when they call you a "jyansei" they refer to you as very strong warrior. Pretty much you can take that as a "hero". Notice that only few NPCs call you that and usually after you do something great for them.

As for cricket, I like the translation. Gave me feeling that Hongmoon was some sort of family and impression that our character was the weakest one in school ;P

Edit:

In chinese "jyan" stands for "experience". Not much help anyway

"Jyan" and "Jyansei" were explained in the first world (Viridian Coast) by Dochun as others had explained above. As for the actual word? I don't know. It is evident that the Korean developers not only infused Korean culture in the game but also Japanese and Chinese (Chinese is ultimately the biggest influence as it influenced both cultures anyways--similarly like Latin/Roman culture influences most of Europe). But the translation team, or localization team seemed to have leaned towards a lot more Japanese probably because of easier romanization; for example like these two costumes that are called 'Wind God' and the other is 'Lightning God' (In the wardrobe). In the description it says, "Infused with the essence of Fujin (風神), spoken in Onyomi (音読み), the Japanese's Chinese reading of Wind God and the other is Raijin (雷神, not Kaminari Kami... The reading changes to Onyomi typically for compound Kanji... Same with the other, not Kaze Kami but Fuujin).

They're pulling quite a bit from the Japanese language. There are more examples which I cannot think of off the top of my head, but Mushin is also one from Japanese, assuming his name is written with the same kanji as the word, 無心, which literally means "No Mind (not 'No Heart' because 心/kokoro is the conceptual heart... The mind. 心臓/Shinzou is the literal physical heart." Mushin/No Mind doesn't mean lack of cognitive processing or such, but actually refers to a higher state-of-mind when a fighter doesn't need to actively think or strategize in a fight. The actions of the fighter, like comprehension of enemy movements and reaction of rational, well-calculated strikes occurs in the individual instantaneously and organically, like instinctively, with no effort.

But anyways back to Jyansei.... The game is full of Korean, Chinese, and Japanese hybridization (also to mention a lot of words from Japanese and Korean are loanwords from Chinese) and this is displayed through the attire, character names, and architecture (Asian architecture has subtle differences but once you know the characteristics, you can decphier what is Japanese, what is Korean, and what is Chinese). Jyansei, I'm not sure if they are pulling this from a real word but they are speaking it/writing it in a Japanese way, assuming it's a Japanese word (writing it in English romanization of ジャンセイ). The only word I can think of is 雀聖/Jyansei or Jansei. It has a certain context meaning, "Master of Mahjong", a popular gambling board game in Japan that originated from China. 雀/Suzume/Jan/Janku/etc... means sparrow, and breaking the radicals down means small bird but I am not sure why the Chinese used this character for a board game in conjunction with 麻/Ma (for the Ma in Mahjong... In Japanese its pronounced, Maajan, マージャン) and this means hemp. 聖/Sei means "holy, saint, or master". In conclusion, I think they're just making this up. 

You´re absolutely right Hanakoi, I recognized elements from both Korean, China and Japan as well. I wouldn´t be surprised to see nordic, celtic and other cultural influence iether, The game seems to borrow inspiration everywhere.

Just notice one of the loading screens where it says Pohoran or "pohwaran". It´s a girl with a gatlin gun - anybody thinking another mmo?

hqdefault.jpg

Pretty much what the others said. 

It makes sense because being "Cricket" (grasshopper as some would say) you start out as the person that's been training at hongmoon arts for the shortest amount of time compared to the other students. Not to mention you were just starting out the game and learning. 

When you start to prove your worth / shown as the "one" from completing the quests and obstacles in the story , the characters calling you cricket (basically a novice) would be an insult. So I can see why there was a sudden name change! 

I'd agree that having a name filler of your actual character name in the story would've been better though! 

LastWriterStanding explained it during Beta. Jyan / Jyansei are made up words (that are supposed to sound asian), because they weren't allowed to use an actual Asian word for the PC. It's supposed to mean something like "Warrior / Martial Art Master". Actually, only NPCs who have some knowledge about martial arts are refering to you as "Jyan / Jyansei" so it's also a mean to get information about the NPCs (Civilian or Martial Arts Master). 

And Cricket... They didn't want to use "Grasshopper" to avoid legal issues with a movie brand or something like that.

They explained it earlier during the beta I believe, but I am taking it as a title.  Cricket being the title you are given while you are just starting out.  Jyan being the next step up, and Jyansei being the one after that.  Just think of it as a title that people call you when they don't know your name.  Same way (I guess) with why Mushin is called Mushin and not his actual name.

There is a lot of eastern culture wrapped into this game.  You either need to accept it and adapt to new terminology, or find another game.  This game is very rich in lore, and even as someone who doesn't typically get into the lore of a game, I find myself drawn into the story of Blade and Soul.  Would be nice if we didn't get the westernized version, but that's another topic for another day.

Basically, you need to adapt to certain terms in the game and learn of the customs that you can pick up while playing it.  As gamers, it is pretty much a given that we are problem solvers, and we can find out the meaning of a lot of terms we don't understand right away if we just use deduction and the context of how it was used.

It doesn't mean anything in real life. Basically NC West big wigs wanted an "Asian" term for the NPCs to call the player (Because Kungfu game). But since ACTUAL Asian terms are too hard for Muricans, they invented a nonsensical word that they think sounded Asian (Jyan) and add the explanation by Dochun saying it means Warrior (Its not).  

Archived