Dumplings & Healing Tonic too expensive for starters?

Kazutoo

As the title says I think Dumplings and Healing Tonics are too expensive for starters, Dumplings are like above 5 silver, like no one at level 1-10 will have that, and if they will they wont spend it on a dumpling.

Isn't it better to add some more variety to these potions? make some cheap ones for low levels? like heals 30% of your hp over 10 sec, with a maximum of 250 hp. (to prevent higher levels using it).

When writing this I am level 24, and even now I think they are still too expensive compared to items you need to upgrade you weapon or accessory.

Think you can find them for cheaper in the marketplace. Imo, the content doesn't get "difficult" until level 36, even if you are solo-ing. I found that the quest rewards/drops/surveys provided enough potions and dumplings for me to get to endgame. Even at endgame, I have a surplus of potions and dumplings so I'm not sure what you're doing differently. (I'm aware that some classes are more challenging to solo with.)

REALLY easy to make both of these with your crafting ..

I know you wanted a different craft but there you go ..  start alts and do the crafting yourself and it is almost costs nothing to make items ..

I will also say I think that in game merchants (and transport) is VERY expensive BUT IDC ,,,

also you can do dailies .. fill out the surveys if you haven't sinc eyou get a lot of supplies .. I have over 100 dumplings and 150 potions built up from doing the dailies and questing over the last 4 days (and I am only level 24 and NO this character isn't making either of these items)

11 minutes ago, Labbit said:

Think you can find them for cheaper in the marketplace. Imo, the content doesn't get "difficult" until level 36, even if you are solo-ing. I found that the quest rewards/drops/surveys provided enough potions and dumplings for me to get to endgame. Even at endgame, I have a surplus of potions and dumplings so I'm not sure what you're doing differently. (I'm aware that some classes are more challenging to solo with.)

It is true quest rewards and event loots from dungeons provide quite a good amount of these items. but some people might run out of them.

Personally I do have enough of them, but for me it also happend once that I ran out of my Tonics, I managed to get a good amount again, but yeh.

It doesn't feel realistic if they are so expensive for low levels (below 15)

Marketplace & Crafting isn't available till Jadestone Village at level 16.

7 minutes ago, Kazutoo said:

It is true quest rewards and event loots from dungeons provide quite a good amount of these items. but some people might run out of them.

Personally I do have enough of them, but for me it also happend once that I ran out of my Tonics, I managed to get a good amount again, but yeh.

I have played 1 kfm to 24th and one to 20th going to delete one just not sure which) and a FM/Sum/Sin all 17th or so who are sitting in Jadestone crafting stuff (sadly I never find any quartz) and I don't think I have as yet run out of anything and only came close to running out of unseals dues to my own stupidity

My destroyer has over 300 dumplings and close to 200 tonics, by the time the game gets hard enough to use them you get showered in them from the dungeon chests.

Edit: i should mention that  the destroyer has a very good self heal in the grab/wedge combo. definitely a factor.

Depends on server.

- Dumplings on Juwol are 28 copper.

- Repair Tools are 20 copper.

Ironic: It's still cheaper to die and use repair kits. You can die 5-10 times before you need to use one, and they're cheaper than dumplings to begin with.

It works out to approx 7-14 times cheaper than using dumplings.

You want to balance them a bit though, since you get less repair tools as rewards.

Using this method, I have 15 repair tools, and 90 dumplings left.

28 minutes ago, Kazutoo said:

I can't speak on behalf of the developers but imo, if the dumplings/potions are priced too high for low levels, it seems to suggest that low levels are not supposed to be running out of them. I'm pretty sure the first town you go to (Bamboo Village?) has a marketplace. Regardless, if you are using up all the dumplings/potions given then you might want to change how you're playing. 

Just now, Labbit said:

I can't speak on behalf of the developers but imo, if they're priced too high for low levels, it seems to suggest that low levels are not supposed to be running out of them. I'm pretty sure the first town you go to (Bamboo Village?) has a marketplace. Regardless, if you are using up all the pots/dumplings given then you might want to change how you're playing. 

this quite possibly I just hated to say it as it seems harsh ..

this isn't WoW you have to keep moving and blocking not just spamming attacks and then there are the combos

Just now, Kensho1996 said:

this quite possibly I just hated to say it as it seems harsh ..

this isn't WoW you have to keep moving and blocking not just spamming attacks and then there are the combos

excellent point some classes even have a move for jumping behind an enemy when they block or attack you hit it and it pulls a blindside to put you directly behind them dodging blocking and just plain learning to keep moving really really help in keeping healing needs down while i understand that can be tricky as the timers seem so short for blocks especially it really helps reduce the dmg you take and thus the healing you need

If you run out of these at low levels, unless you're doing it in PvP then you're doing something wrong.  So far I've played 4 classes to just under 30 and 1 class to 19.  Out of those 5 the LBD has been the most squishy and even on that class I didn't come close to running out of dumplings or pots.  So if you're running out I'd just say you're trying to button mash through everything instead of using the mechanics/skills available to avoid/block damage.  Don't get me wrong this isn't an "i'm so pro" brag as I'm not even close so if I'm not using them much, it certainly isn't much of a challenge.  Now if you're PvP'ing and popping up your pots well that's a different animal.

All that said I do agree the pots/dumplings seem wildly over priced for the early game, I imagine the pricing reflects late game income but if that's the case then they probably should have made a two or three tiers of food so they could price them accordingly.  I also feel the windriding prices are a bit high, I kind of avoid using it just b/c the cost of it is kind of dumb, especially early on.  Why have a fast travel system to add convenience and then price it so it's not convenient. 

Archived