NCSoft, gib me monies and I will read things for you.

Infamousxiii

Some of the writing in this game is poor. Not like "oh NCSoft writes at a 4th grade level, hurr hurr", but more like "this sentence in Korean does not mean the same thing that it does in English". Countless times I've read an item or quest and its been enough to get me close enough to something shiny that I can click on to continue with gameplay. Possibly the biggest offender here is the Martial Arts page (K), a lot of times abilities will have upgrade notes like "reduced duration" when abilities have no lasting effects or cast time.

I am willing to read things and look at them, then provide a better dialogue or translation, in order to provide a better play experience for everyone else.

1 minute ago, Yaviey said:

I dunno if "gib me monies" should be in your cover letter, but here's a link to our careers page: http://us.ncsoft.com/en/careers/.

Well played. Again though, the language on a forum wouldn't be the same in an email or actual conversation. Unfortunately there is no job listing for "Part-time literate game enthusiast". Only for tech engineers for which I am currently spoken for at the moment.

Just now, Infamousxiii said:

Well played. Again though, the language on a forum wouldn't be the same in an email or actual conversation. Unfortunately there is no job listing for "Part-time literate game enthusiast". Only for tech engineers for which I am currently spoken for at the moment.

Keep an eye open as the jobs list changes all the time. :)

Well, I definitely book marked the careers page. Also, there are issues in the writing, but I've looked past most. Fixing them however, I would suggest just fixing descriptions for items over story, the confusion of not knowing what you're doing/using is more important (to me).

2 minutes ago, Miles said:

Well, I definitely book marked the careers page. Also, there are issues in the writing, but I've looked past most. Fixing them however, I would suggest just fixing descriptions for items over story, the confusion of not knowing what you're doing/using is more important (to me).

indeed. I love looking for something based on directions in the quest log or some other window only to give up and google it after half an hour, then find out that it is in a different direction or on a different road.

3 minutes ago, Avalyn said:

I totally lost it when you guys translated the giant scorpion name as "Pokey"

Add to that all the noobs looking for group like "I NEED HELP WITH POKEY"

It's a pun, since the dungeon quest for that dungeon is "And that's what it's all about." in reference to the popular kids song "Do the hokey pokey".

There's a lot of puns/references like that in game, a quick example off the top of my head is that there's two secret NPC's in Tomb of the Exiles, who are called Ti Mon and Pum Ba, in reference to the lion king.

Honestly I kinda like translations like these where, even if they're not literal translations, they still make sense and they have their own sense of value. The pokey example is actually something that I think is rather a point towards the English translations, not against them. If it was a literal translation it probably would've just been another go-in-get-out kind of thing and you'd never remember the name, but in this case I thought it was cute.

I DO agree however that in some cases there needs to be some fixing, like you mentioned certain skills using incorrect wording in their descriptions.

Another example of this is in the crafting/gathering menu's, for the Green Thumbs gathering alliance you have 3 basic mats you can gather, but the name given in the UI and the item name is always different:
Lake Mud actually gathers Sandy Clay.

Earthen Clay actually gathers Grey Clay.

Tempered Clay actually gathers Snow White Clay, which makes no sense because the clay icon is a deep brown colour...

So in short:
Yes to fixing some of the translation errors, such incorrect naming from one reference to another, or misleading/ambiguous naming usage.

No to changing the translations that aren't violating any of the things I just mentioned.

Not sure about quest texts, I honestly didn't pay much attention to every story line aside from the main story and some side-quests that interested me, and I didn't really have any issues, but it could just be because I've played the game to level cap over a dozen times in multiple languages.

13 minutes ago, Infamousxiii said:

indeed. I love looking for something based on directions in the quest log or some other window only to give up and google it after half an hour, then find out that it is in a different direction or on a different road.

what? you know the game has a map right?. when you get quests they appear in your quest list, and you click the icon to the left of the quest and it shows you where to go! no comprehension needed.

admittedly if you are rp'ing you might want to not use the map and base everything on character interaction, but going and googling to discover where to go doesn't sound much like rp'ing either.

Actually what i was describing is the treefeller sap gathering in the Viridian area. says its on schochu island (or however it may be spelled) between camp X and town Y at an indeterminate distance off the road. When in fact it is past town Y further south, very out of sight of where the sample allegedly was located. For the most part, the quests are done well. The areas I am looking for improvement are the martial arts pages, a lot of tooltips and item descriptions.

agree, some of the panel text - tooltips and some descriptions could use some work.  would be great if panels had a "report an issue" icon which we could click to flag things that we notice as we play - and it would auto snag a screenshot for us.

1 hour ago, Infamousxiii said:

Some of the writing in this game is poor. Not like "oh NCSoft writes at a 4th grade level, hurr hurr", but more like "this sentence in Korean does not mean the same thing that it does in English". Countless times I've read an item or quest and its been enough to get me close enough to something shiny that I can click on to continue with gameplay. Possibly the biggest offender here is the Martial Arts page (K), a lot of times abilities will have upgrade notes like "reduced duration" when abilities have no lasting effects or cast time.

I am willing to read things and look at them, then provide a better dialogue or translation, in order to provide a better play experience for everyone else.

So you'd like to be paid for what literally every other player can do: reporting text errors. 

1 minute ago, QueenSheba said:

So you'd like to be paid for what literally every other player can do: reporting text errors. 

I'm down for being compensated for actually doing something that a lot of people could be doing but haven't done yet. Don't need much in money, maybe BnS toys or ncoin. Wait! I want a grammar nazi outfit for my characters!

Archived