Censored for “Questionable” Material in Western Release

uzumiknives

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah a lot of us have seen this already. There was nothing wrong with having a sexist NPC who then was forced to acknowledge he was wrong. Nor was there anything wrong with a man peeping on a female and then being forced to suffer the consequences of his actions. Showing characters suffer or learn that their way of thinking on a matter is wrong, is far more powerful as a life lesson than simply removing it all and acting like these characters never had bad personalities in the first place.

The people whining about this are really immature and obnoxious. Go play the asian version if you find it so objectionable. "Censorship" is just a buzzword. NCsoft is not a dictator government regime ruining your lives because they changed some text. Most people playing the NA release won't know the difference, and speaking as one of those players I absolutely do not care. 

Well this would be a root of concern; especially when it had been said "We will keep the game to its originality" however the views of current American society impedes on the purity that the game was. Is NA (specifically America) that sensitive to something like that when the rest of NA uses such subtle to extreme measures to sell products by using 'sexual' or related themes. This goes for shamwow as well... jking....

7 minutes ago, Fuz said:

*cricket*ing carebears.
It's only NA? Is EU still uncensored?

No, EU is censored too.

13 minutes ago, QueenSheba said:

The people whining about this are really immature and obnoxious. Go play the asian version if you find it so objectionable. "Censorship" is just a buzzword. NCsoft is not a dictator government regime ruining your lives because they changed some text. Most people playing the NA release won't know the difference, and speaking as one of those players I absolutely do not care. 

The problem is that the translation team have altered main/side quest content because they themselves didn't like it/ didn't feel it made sense. This, in itself, is unacceptable and have done much more harm to the game than good.

2 minutes ago, Shilen said:

No, EU is censored too.

The problem is that the translation team have altered main/side quest content because they themselves didn't like it/ didn't feel it made sense. This, in itself, is unacceptable and have done much more harm to the game than good.

Have u ever tried to translate anything? There are some sentences that cant be directly translated (because it is slang or some obscure reason)

or some jokes that wont make sense once u translate it from one language to another. (Think of wordplay jokes)

On 1/25/2016 at 10:55 AM, uzumiknives said:

The horse has already been beaten to death, MANY times. Your attempt to revive it will not make any difference. NCS KR/NA have the rights to make changes to their game. You can tell them how to do it when you take over the company. Like the game? Play it. Don't like the game? Don't play it. 

On 1/25/2016 at 0:53 PM, AttacKat said:

The horse has already been beaten to death, MANY times. Your attempt to revive it will not make any difference. NCS KR/NA have the rights to make changes to their game. You can tell them how to do it when you take over the company. Like the game? Play it. Don't like the game? Don't play it. 

Im sure NCSoft already knows about them. NCsoft aren't stupid. They are a company/business and put money before everything they do. (ALL COMPANIES WHICH ARE NOT NON-PROFIT DOES THIS)

It would be strange to assume that NCsoft don't already know about this when both of the links I have posted are on the first page when you search for "blade and soul uncensor patch"

Fact of the matter is, why would I play on an unofficial russian server when I live in NA and it is a bootlegged copy? The Official is far safer/reliable to play on.

27 minutes ago, HaroWorld said:

Have u ever tried to translate anything? There are some sentences that cant be directly translated (because it is slang or some obscure reason)

or some jokes that wont make sense once u translate it from one language to another. (Think of wordplay jokes)

No I haven't, but there is a difference between altering a few sentences so that it makes sense to a foreign audience,  and altering entire sections of the main storyline.

Friendly reminder :) http://i.imgur.com/du0jcbK.jpg

Source: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jamesbertonjones

"As a member of the Blade & Soul team, I was part of the effort to rewrite from the ground-up for western audiences. More than a typical localization job, we were asked to tear the game down to it's very core and rebuild it with an almost entirely new storyline, motivations, and character archetypes."

Uhhh, not really... take a look at the most highly translated book, the bible. Not all of them are consistant, neither do they read the same. But they are translated from the same book. Some alter entire passages because it doesn't make sense..

American Standard Version
Common English Bible
English Standard Version
King James Version

Source: http://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-versions/

23 minutes ago, HaroWorld said:

The two stories changed in the game that are used as an example are:

1 - a peeping tom who wants to marry the hot babe he has been peeping on, but instead ends up marrying some ugly woman that he is doomed to be with forever due to customs.

2 - A sexist man who feels woman are worthless but ends up having his butt saved by one.

All of those are easy to understand here in the NA. But for some strange reason they felt the need to completely remove the story and insert their own. Its like someone watching Starwars saying that Darth Vader being a father was to traumatizing for the audience and then removing that fact completely from the movie & rewriting the entire scene to be something else.

That is not translating, that is rewriting a story to fit your ideals. You are a translator not an author, go write your own book. Translators are suppose to take dialog and try to make it understandable, or draw out the same emotions, or portray the same idea as what the original language is. Certain puns can be swapped out because the point is to draw out humor. Making a perverted man into a respectable scholar is not evoking the same emotion into the reader. He is supposed to be despicable and suffer for his stupidity. Making him a scholar doing research completely removes his despicable attitude and places him into a positive light.

How is it the same? As for the bible... I get what you're trying to say, but I don't think you can compare a book that has been around for centuries (and that has been edited quite a bit :P) to a game that's been out for a few years.

I'm not trying to say that we should have gotten a 100% word-for-word translation. But it should, at least as far as main storyline/lore goes, have been left unaltered by the translation team and stayed true to the source material. In this NCSoft has failed.

Localization is a very, very tough job.

If there's something in your translation that makes you feel uncomfortable, it can be VERY hard to work with it since not only do you have to go through and have it translated, but you also need to make sure it fits within the context of the overall narrative.

In the end it really doesn't matter what happens to these two NPCs, so they changed it because it made them uncomfortable. I'm really not seeing the problem here.

The issue I have is in the core of the game: At one point it seems like they wanted to have some form of branching moral paths, given the existence of things like the Blackram "initiation," and the use of dark chi, but they scrapped it.

Also might have to do with complaints NCSoft had to field when Wildstar and City of Heroes/Villains had some pretty...morally repugnant...quests that you couldn't really skip.

31 minutes ago, Hidaru said:

Can someone from NC please comment on why the story was changed and left with plot holes?  Side quests fine but the story D: why?

Im not from NC, but 

Same reason movies and shows get changed either when they release in America and go to Japan or from Japan to America,  Sailor moon ended up really weird with some of the relationships between the characters , power rangers saw that too all sorts of weird messed up differences in both versions, a lot of those variety shows any time they come over get changed a huge amount,Inside out had green peppers instead of brocoilli in the Japanese version, some shows use different music for different regions like top gear depending on what country it airs in, shows like Takeshi's castle aired as most extreme elimination challenge was completely redone with random quips and dialogue because the same format of show between the regions are not that popular, a 1-1 translation dub of takeshi's castle wouldn't have been as remotely popular as MXC and likewise if it was the other way around.

They have an "idea" of what that audience likes and dislikes, and so they do what they feel will be best for the majority of people.

Huge amounts of "western" gamers view games like blade and soul as a joke because of their hyper sexulized nature, so knowing that they tried to tone it down a whee bit, Ive been enjoying this game but I still get a kick out of the almost absurd amount of misplaced ass shots "characters friend just died and shes crying, i know lets zoom the camera right up to her ass" kind of deal happens so often, I mean I like the character design but I completely understand why they would "censor" the game, you have very little if any of that in "western" games.

it's just a difference in audiences, what one country finds funny, sad or enjoyable isn't the same for another country or region, people just like different things and companies tend to try and cater to the majority in any region, and things that work in one are just won't in another.

Edit: i don't know whats wrong with the formatting of this comment, its taking random parts of my sentences and quoting them? 

Archived