Forums

This MMO is so basic it hurts

spiritessence

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/26/2016 at 7:15 AM, Teisho said:

I am asking both you and the OP to explain what you mean by basic and to not rely on oversimplification to the point of absurdity to do so.

You want me to be specific over a useless forum thread over a meaningless topic?

I guess im not doing anything better

For starters there are a few cliches which alone doesnt make a story bad but can take from the story

SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILER

Ok

Random person loses their memory

Wake up in village and learn secret arts from seemingly harmless old person whos a legen

Evil villain seeking old mans power

Oh no everyone died and youre the last hope

(^Alot of stories have this basic setup. Its an MMO so it gets a pass on some of this)

There are more secret powers that villain is looking for. Descendant of ancient person is needed to unlock his power

Henchman trying to take power for himself and surpass the main villain

Lets keep the worlds only hope alive because he might be useful and im so cocky about him never being able to kill me that it isnt an issue even if he kills or greatly injures my men <I get that they cant kill us but the amount of times your life is spared is just pushing this too far

^All of these were obvious very early on in the story and pretty much tell you what to expect later on which leds it to fel boring and repeated. I could go on but lets talk about brighters parts of the story

MAJOR SPOILERS

SERIOUSLY DONT READ THIS IF YOU DONT WANT IT RUINED

Gil turning out to be a villain and a relative of mushins descendant who i wont name. I wasnt paying attention because dogs so i cant remember his exact relation to mushins descendant

Namsoyoo being a massive.... thing. I expected her to be no good from the start out of intuition but didnt think shed go as far as she did

Getting to kill tubby fish man early in the story. Not really important but i disliked that guy so it was enjoyable

Hajoon. Everything involving him i liked. Im glad there was more than one survivor and having him die was sad. Though it couldve been possible for him to be treated the same way the main character was so im not sure why he had to die

I think this covers enough basic details to get you to stop

SPOILERS ABOVE^                                    SPOILERS ABOVE^

Erm this surely most be a troll post?

Lvl6 critique interesting 

Basically very little of what you have said makes an sense as the game progresses I'm lvl 21 right now and I find the combat system intuitive and engaging not laboured at all. Il ignore any reference to tera a game I stopped playing years ago as pvp became as stagnant as the bulk of the community. 

The only point worth touching on is this is a Korean mmorpg. I've been playing mmo's since the days of ever quest the first one lol Korean games historically were grind fests they do t make RP games. This is a pvp centered game pve will as it always had in Korean ges take a back seat. I for one am glad it doesn't take 400 hrs  grinding to reach max lvl and be able to pvp. I also didnt start this game with any illusions it would be an RPer dream.

It does exactly as expected extremely well and I'm enjoying playing it if it didn't twig for you its neither the game nor your fault we aren't all supposed to like everything but posts luke this serve no purpose so why make it?

2 hours ago, Yancha said:

snip

I'm glad you have at least a vague notion of what went on in the story. But here's the thing:

What you did is exactly what I don't like seeing: people oversimplifying the story to the point where it sounds stupid. Of course the story sounds incredibly basic with the way you've just described it. How could anything sound even remotely intelligent when you oversimplify it like that? That's also what I just said not to do, surprisingly enough.

Also, when I talk about the story, keep in mind that I'm not just talking about the yellow quests. The blue side quests you do in game are also related to the story and provide far more depth to the story than what you would get if you simply read the yellow quests and mashed f through the blue ones. This is why I'm even having this discussion with you. Where you seem to only see a basic story, I see a bigger picture. A lot of context is provided to the story through the blue quests, and I don't really think that this story is as basic as you describe it.

On 1/26/2016 at 9:54 AM, Teisho said:

I'm glad you have at least a vague notion of what went on in the story. But here's the thing:

What you did is exactly what I don't like seeing: people oversimplifying the story to the point where it sounds stupid. Of course the story sounds incredibly basic with the way you've just described it. How could anything sound even remotely intelligent when you oversimplify it like that? That's also what I just said not to do, surprisingly enough.

Also, when I talk about the story, keep in mind that I'm not just talking about the yellow quests. The blue side quests you do in game are also related to the story and provide far more depth to the story than what you would get if you simply read the yellow quests and mashed f through the blue ones. This is why I'm even having this discussion with you. Where you seem to only see a basic story, I see a bigger picture. A lot of context is provided to the story through the blue quests, and I don't really think that this story is as basic as you describe it.

If you want a 5 page essay go read a book

Im not interested enough in proving my point to you to put more effort than i have which is more than i should have and certainly more than youd need in a practical situation

TL;DR

Youre unreasonable

Just now, Yancha said:

If you want a 5 page essay go read a book

Im not interested enough in proving my point to you to put more effort than i have which is more than i should have and certainly more than youd need in a practical situation

TL;DR

Youre unreasonable

And you're full of shit, but I already knew that.

It's not like I'm having this discussion with you for your sake or for my sake. I really like the story of this game and don't think people should be misled by people saying the story is "basic" and then providing no justification for saying something like that. If people are given an accurate portrayal of what the story is, they'll have a much better idea of whether or not the story is worth following or not.

On 1/26/2016 at 9:58 AM, Teisho said:

And you're full of shit, but I already knew that.

It's not like I'm having this discussion with you for your sake or for my sake. I really like the story of this game and don't think people should be misled by people saying the story is "basic" and then providing no justification for saying something like that. If people are given an accurate portrayal of what the story is, they'll have a much better idea of whether or not the story is worth following or not.

I did give you an accurate portrayal of the story with good and bad sides. I even went as far as to point out specific parts in the main story

And ive done every side quest but left them out because theres no real up or downside to including or excluding them. Itd be the same either way

Im sensing a great and powerful bias though

It starts with petty insults and goes into internet rage

Take a break or

Portray the story the way it should be since you know it the way it is to be told

Keep in mind subjectivity

there was a big war

bad guy got beat

some dude screwed up bad

things went south pretty quick ring got lost

some crack head found it and lived in a cave

some dude stole it from him

bad guy comes back goes around knocking on doors looking for his ring

calls some ghosts to help him

some midgets go hiking for a few years

eventually they throw a ring into a volcano day is saved gg the end

Just now, Yancha said:

I did give you an accurate portrayal of the story with good and bad sides. I even went as far as to point out specific parts in the main story

And ive done every side quest but left them out because theres no real up or downside to including or excluding them. Itd be the same either way

Im sensing a great and powerful bias though

It starts with petty insults and goes into internet rage

Take a break or

Portray the story the way it should be since you know it the way it is to be told

Keep in mind subjectivity

Your portrayal of the story is heavily abridged and doesn't account for most of what goes on; this is what I mean when I use the word 'oversimplification'. I get that you don't think this story is the best in the world -- I don't either. The story is flawed and has its ups and downs. But what you wrote is not really a realistic portrayal of the story. If people want to know what the story really is, they should read it in game rather than listening to people who are either unwilling or unable to explain it without oversimplifying it.

As for the rest.. At no point did I ever insult you or the OP. Saying that you're full of shit or that the OP's points are stupid (both of which are demonstrably true, by the way) are not attacks of character, simply attacks of post content, which is precisely what a debate or discussion in a forum should be. The fact that you're getting abrasive over being asked to explain yourself (i.e. saying "You want me to be specific over a useless forum thread over a meaningless topic?" yet continuing to reply to me anyways and then implying that I'm upset over this thread which is not only not true, but even if it were would change absolutely nothing) really just ratifies exactly why I think you're so full of shit.

• Hime locked this topic

Archived