This MMO is so basic it hurts

spiritessence

I can't fully agree with OP just because of the fact he only played an hour or two worth of gameplay, that's not enough to judge a game.

I hit 45 both in beta and now in launch and the only thing I agree with is the weak story, my main drive when I start a new game is the story and the story here is really bad IMO, in the days worth of story it takes to hit level 45 the story barely moves past us blindly chasing Jinsoyun without knowing anything about her or her motivations, or all other characters involved, for a game that has been out for years I expected way more than this, but I guess it's what that person said in the first page, they didn't pay much attention to the RPG elements in order to focus on PvP.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, spiritessence said:

The combat system of Tera was fantastic and the scenery was a lot more impressive. They put more emphasize on PvE which is important in my opinion. It's a major portion of the game so it should be good. The combat is fast and skill based. Master block and attacks and you can solo a lot in that game. You can even interupt combos to adapt to a situation in combat. We also have BAMS (Big Ass Monsters) each with their own interesting mechanics. 

Tera is not perfect, and basic in some ways. But the combat system was fantastic for an action based mmo.

All TERA has today is pve and it's not even balanced. They killed the pvp completely, both equalized and non-equalized. And honestly doing pve all day is boring. How many times do you have to run through the gear grinding cycle every new patch just to clear faster a dungeon with recycled bosses ?

1 hour ago, spiritessence said:

Greetings!

This is a ranty feedback. Use it as you wish

So I gave this game a try. My friend started playing it, I was bored and was looking for a new game to invest my time in, and from the videos I saw, this game looked really good. But I was so wrong. This is just another basic mmo, with slightly better graphics and slightly better combat.

Issues according to me:
- Weak story (The story is so basic it hurts)

- Terrible character models

- Scenery is unimpressive and boring to look at

- NPC's are VERY static and does nothing interesting

- Enemies are gathered nicely like a bunch of cattle on each field

- Ability animations are fine, but idle animations are a joke

- We don't have default dodge

- Cooldowns are long and slows down the combat
- We can't modify our skill tree but instead are forced to use our basic ones, while the rest are locked behind combos

- We can't interupt skills and adapt to combat situations

- The assassin has a freaking landmine......

- Slow movement speed during combat

- WAY too much emphasize on female characters 

I could go on with this list but I wont. Bottom line, the game looks better than older mmos, and the combat is a step forward from turn based combat. But considering we have games like Tera, Vindictus and FFXIV, I simply don't understand why anyone would play this game. It's so basic, there is nothing unique or innovative about it. Hell the game was suppossedly great because of its combat system, but I found it slow, dull and extremely unengaging. 

So that's it for me. I won't be playing this game. 

Guh-bye

You barely played the game and you're throwing out all these different little critiques. I'm just going to assume you're a troll because judging a game based on 15-20 mins of play is laughable and you need to be slapped for that stupidity. This game is old. Really old actually. older than most (not all) games on the market today. buuut in the event that you're actually serious...

-Story isn't that bad. I'd give it a 6 or 7.

-Scenery is decent for the age of the game. When this was first released, all the headlines spoke about was how pretty the graphics and scenery was.

-Static NPC's? Really? You want them to shake your hand? Not sure what you were expecting.

-"Enemies gathered like cattle" What? What exactly is the alternative?

-"Idle animations are a joke" ... Really guy? Really? grasping at straws being critical about crap that isn't even that important.

-"We don't have a default dodge". that's what you get for not getting to lv 10, idiot. Most classes have a dodge, block, or parry.

-"Cooldowns are long" More idiocy. Level up past 6 and it's not a problem. Assassin and Blade Master are pretty damned fast.

-"Cant modify skill trees". You get the ability to do so at level 15 and story chapter 17. it allows to change the attributes of certain skills using skill points. Who doesn't like combos? Not all skills are locked in combos.

- "Cant interrupt skills". Yes you can. More idiocy. Play the game for more than 15 mins and you'd know this.

-" Assassins' landmine". It's dope. I can freeze people, and it gives the assassin some crowd control.

-'Slow movement". I'll give you half a point for this. It's annoying af when my character wont sheathe the weapon after i'm done killing people; but while i'm actually doing it? I'm all over the place.

-"Female emphasis" Make a male and shut up -_-

*points* there's the door, fool. Please don't come back with half-assed reviews. Especially if you only played the game for the time it took your coffee to cool.

2 hours ago, spiritessence said:

I think I logged out at lvl 6 or 7. Doesn't change the points that I made though, regardless of my levels.

I hated this game at the start. If you give it  a chance it really starts to prove itself as worthy.

3 hours ago, spiritessence said:

Issues according to me:

- Weak story (The story is so basic it hurts)

- Terrible character models

- Scenery is unimpressive and boring to look at

- NPC's are VERY static and does nothing interesting

- Enemies are gathered nicely like a bunch of cattle on each field

- Ability animations are fine, but idle animations are a joke

- We don't have default dodge

- Cooldowns are long and slows down the combat
- We can't modify our skill tree but instead are forced to use our basic ones, while the rest are locked behind combos

- We can't interupt skills and adapt to combat situations

- The assassin has a freaking landmine......

- Slow movement speed during combat

- WAY too much emphasize on female characters

Hi, the issues you take with this game are mostly stupid and indicate a profound lack of understanding of how Blade & Soul works. I will now proceed to show you why, answering your points one by one:

a) What is the story about? Do you even know? If you can't give me an accurate portrayal of what the story is (rather than relying on gross oversimplification like "typical vengeance story ur master dies hur dur revenge kill" like many people love doing), then I see your opinion as little more than worthless.

b) Whatever.

c) Whatever.

d) This is quite literally the opposite of reality and indicates to me that you don't pay any attention to the things the NPCs do as they talk to you.

e) This is also the opposite of reality. Unless you've never passed the starting zone, enemies everywhere are spread out to a fairly irritating degree (especially in the Cinderlands)

f) Whatever.

g) So? This game doesn't need a default dodge.

h) Don't spam your skills and the long cooldowns won't be an issue.

i) This is totally wrong. Do you even play this game? Have you even made it to level 15? Or could it be that you're just spewing bullshit? Methinks the latter.

j) This is also completely wrong. Now I know for certain that you haven't played this game beyond the starting area, if at all.

k) I don't care.

l) And?

m) K.

Edit:

And what do you know? After perusing the thread my suspicions were confirmed (i.e. I was right, as usual). You really haven't played this game very much at all!

2 hours ago, spiritessence said:

I think I logged out at lvl 6 or 7. Doesn't change the points that I made though, regardless of my levels.

2 hours ago, Rincewind said:

"WAY too much emphasize on female characters"?

I would liked more emphasize in female characters. In fact, I would have made a game without male characters at all.

Scarlet blade is the game for you then.

4 minutes ago, Boscodash said:

Cya, i suggest people dont announce their quits and just go. frankly no one cares nor wants to see.

Fangirls might not care, but the actual developers would like to know why people are quitting, they need feedback to improve the game.

Coming from PSO2 its nice to finally play a MMORPG with a real combat system.

I wish this game had as much character customization as PSO2 but apparently only Asians develop MMORPG games that have anything interesting at all and it takes us a whole 6-10 years to get them to send us a copy of the source for their servers and game client and then for us to translate it and throw in ye olde unliked voice dubbing (I'm okay with dubs I guess).

TERA just looks bad to me. I can't stand its graphics. The characters, the world.

I like PSO2 for its graphics and the combat is passable. Also anime hue hue.

What I really miss is Runescape. Even without a fancy 3D movement combat system and old browser compatible graphics, it was an amazingly fun game that I dearly miss from time to time. I would still be playing it today alongside the new MMORPGs I play today if they didn't trash their game.

Interesting stories everywhere, expansive world, the sole purpose of every dungeon wasn't just to have a line of enemies to walk through with a boss at the end like every other MMORPG I see today. Its literred with little extra things and jokes with NPCs and this huge interconnected world with all its quests.

And well I also like Team Fortress 2. It cool. Fun to program plugins.

------

In terms of combat system I'm used to first person shooters and 2D fighting games (and a little bit of Brawl Busters back when it existed).

So BnS is a first for me and I like it a lot. I started as assassin and it feels like all its moves are really fast (I've only done random open world PvP so far and I've only gotten to level 25).

First thing I notice is that it looks like you can infinite stun lock people to death, or get really long stunlock combos.

Assassin has moves that instantly disorient / move you, put you into a position favorable for the enemy, that also stuns you long enough for their next move.

Counter attack that's instant (I'm not really against that though, I once coded a counter attack in TF2 and it started out instant until a friend complained that every fighter ever gives it some time for a "tell").

But I hear assassin is a PvP wrecker with some classes it has a harder time against and I can definitely see why.

In any case it's pretty fun.

4 minutes ago, Alukah said:

Fangirls might not care, but the actual developers would like to know why people are quitting, they need feedback to improve the game.

There is a difference between valid feedback and nitpicking.  For example: long que times, fps drops, and disconnects are very valid.  On the other hand, "OMG why can't I be MLG week 1"; "Take out ForceMasters!"; "Why can't I get everything for free"; are examples of stuff that isn't valid in my book. 

1 minute ago, Alukah said:

I read either in a FAQ or a Q&A that we don't actually have developers in NA and that they "work closely with the Koreans with their suggestions for them to create and send back to us".

I felt bad when I heard that because it doesn't sound like a good sign going forward, I'm at least glad that the base game is good.

I hear we have version v2.X while KOR/RU have v3.X.

I'm glad the NA team has told us we will be getting updates from the KOR to get closer to whatever they have now, such as the next class coming out, level cap increase, and apparently a lot more content that comes at level 50.

Unlike PSO2 which was supposed to be released in EN like 4 years ago and SEGA which will say absolutely nothing about what is happening.

This tells me that we will be getting updates and won't be left in the dust with an older version of the game that never gets updated which gives me a lot to look forward to.

But it also tells me that we probably can't expect as many, as Jagex likes to call them, "Ninja Updates", or in other words very small updates/hotfixes that come from player suggestions that are generally easy and fast for them to implement.

It's questionable how much they are even able to fix/update in term's of the games actual code (as opposed to whatever server hardware issues they're having their first weekend in) and that's what worries me.

On 1/25/2016 at 6:01 AM, Teisho said:

Hi, the issues you take with this game are mostly stupid and indicate a profound lack of understanding of how Blade & Soul works. I will now proceed to show you why, answering your points one by one:

a) What is the story about? Do you even know? If you can't give me an accurate portrayal of what the story is (rather than relying on gross oversimplification like "typical vengeance story ur master dies hur dur revenge kill" like many people love doing), then I see your opinion as little more than worthless.

To be fair

The story is pretty basic

A friend of mine critiqued it heavily but i argued it wasnt as bad as he says

Coming from someone who likes to write stories to someone who likes to be overly judgmental you can imagine how that conversation went

5 hours ago, spiritessence said:

How can anyone evaluate a story after only playing 6 levels lol

He couldn't possible be able to know what any of his points were about after only playing 6 levels.  He just started out not wanting to like the game.  Probly mad all of his friends left TERA to play BnS.  Poor baby :(

This game is epically beautiful. Combat is masterful and addicting when you finally learn it. Yes, it has all staples of a traditional MMO, which is GOOD. Finally I have found a game that has ALL the features I want.

1. TONS of dungeons

2. A GREAT party finder, local or cross-server.

3. BALANCED PVP. With 1 v 1 arena, they DO balance based on 1 v 1 for a change!

4. Battlegrounds AND World PVP. Toggle on world pvp when you want. Turn it off when you dont.

5. 10/10 graphics. I have a year old machine with a GTX980 an get 80 fps on MAXED gfx.

6. Many crafting and gathering professions.

7. EXCELLENT communication\chat features

8. A cash shop with a lot of cosmetics for sale.

9. FUN class combat combinations
\attack strings.

10. FLYING!

11. Good voice acting

12. GREAT cut scene cinematics for man quest line. So great im trying to figure out how to watch them again.

Its easy to see why in Asia people are crazy about this game. The only GLARING negative I can find is the gold spam. Nonstop. But, for me, the good far outweighs the bad. If they fixed gold spam, I would rate the game 10/10.

1 hour ago, Rincewind said:

Again? Was already sugested in the page 2 of the topic.

And, no. You don't even play as the girls, but as an mission control operator... worst idea EVER.

Don't really care if it was "already suggested"  Never even played the game, i just know there is all female characters or at least there WAS, Oh well XD 

The problem with fanboy/girl(s) is that they need other people to agree with them to validate their love for said product. That being said, I installed this game earlier last week, and played a bit of it. I'm hooked! It's been a long time since a MMO has achieved that for me. I think the graphics are beautiful for an anime styled game. The character designs; while not as thorough as Black Desert, is still pretty nice. The story isn't bad either. While it's the run of the mill, avenging your fallen master/comrades, it's still presented very well. I've been playing swtor, where the story is key in the game, and I'm digging this story almost as much as the stories in swtor.

When I started playing, I tried all the classes, excluding the summoner and the blade dancer (I hate little kawaii chibi characters). At first I wasn't impressed with any of them. I ended up going with an Assassin (though I didn't like how it played). After the school is attacked, and my action bar started growing, and after I got use to the class, I started loving the class. I'm currently at level 24, and the story is good so far. 

I don't need everyone to love or enjoy this game, and you (OP) have the right to your opinion. However, some of your complaints aren't accurate as far as the design of the game goes; as many have already pointed out. Also, you complain about the over emphasis of female characters. I don't see why this is a problem. If you don't want to play a female, make a male. I personally like the designs of the Yun, and the Jin females. I tend to play female characters in any game I play. Then again, I'm a role player, and playing a gender that I am in real life isn't fun or exploratory. I say "to each his own".

If Tera works for you, go back to Tera. If Black Desert is your thing, do that. The world is now filled with many mmos. I'm sure you can find one that fits your liking.

My only question is this: If this isn't your cup of tea, why come on the forums and announce that you're leaving? Had you simply slip away quietly, no one would have know that you were gone; hell, no one would have known that you actually played this game.   

6 hours ago, MangoHam said:

Someone doesn't seem to know how old this game really is.

When I was new to this game comments like this all suddenly made sense to me until I looked up how old it really is. This game isn't that old. It was released in 2012 while the graphic's look on par with a lot of games from 2005-2007. I don't really care about graphics, but when I see comments like this i think people should know how old it really is.

The other thing is a lot of people have been saying how "Oh this game is all about PvP", it makes me sick. I personally like the feel of the combat and the party system for quests is really easy to use since almost all quests link up with the party, which is something a lot of MMORPG's can't do for some reason. From what I've seen so far this game lacks big boss battles for PvE parties, but I could be wrong. I heard at max level it does get better. When I hear people PURELY playing this game for PvP it makes me mad because they shouldn't be playing this game. They're basically saying 95% of content created in this game is shit. Storyline, PvE, Quests, Crafting, Trading, Creation, etc. is literally nearly the entire base of the game files so they might as well play rock, paper, scissors with their friends. 

The other thing about this game they need to work on (if they're balancing this game for our version) is balancing with PvE and class roles. People like big dungeons with big bosses to take down with their friends. The problem is since they made this a super hardcore PvP type of game every class in the game is an over exaggerated badass super hero. This doesn't work in PvE MMORPG's with bosses. The bosses are too extremely easy and no one really cares who the hell is in their party because every one is a god tier super hero spamming combos anyways. One of the main things this game lacks is "character" within its characters. I've seen many polls on what is the most played class and every one says something different. The reason why people can't figure it out is because the classes are so bland and lack so much personality they all look the same to a lot of people. 

I wish I got to end game in TERA and GW2.. Or anything besides Aion and FF14 before cap was raised. I only played TERA a little, Aion mostly, but so far I like BnS. There are some elements I would do away with or change... UI is a little clunky sometimes but it's acceptable given the controls of the game. Some bugs like chat windows not fading out properly if you pull out a second window, etc, but stuff like that is to be expected right now.

As far as the combat goes, it's quite intricate and I feel like it takes reflex to preform certain combos while countering your opponents. But I'm still quite low level. We'll see.

Vs Aion where the learning curve is basically knowing what buffs to watch out for and when to pop CD's, I like BnS' speed. It matches what I would expect and has been the only game so far that has made me think twice about Aion.

Visually it's great, if the AA didn't suck so bad.

Archived