Anything more to this game than graphics and combat?

Zirious

I bought into early release, current premium. got a toon in her 30's and another just hit 30. So far I'm enjoying it, but as many have stated before, it's about the graphics, combat interaction, and style. Your hopping around on rocks like naruto and whipping up stylish complex combinations of abilites to down mobs. outside of that the PvE is honestly mediocre. Crafting really isn't even crafting. it's ordering products where you have to provide the materials yourself (which you get through ordering from other guilds). character customization and skill sets aren't bad. they aren't at the level of flexibility that something like Path of Exile has...but when you realize that his game is a PvP game with a PvE shell on it, it makes sense. PvE elements are simplified and to the point. 

Arguably, the story isn't half bad for a PvP oriented game. I haven't gotten to end game yet, but the level of attention required to kill normal mobs is interesting It keeps you focused (you can't afk kill stuff here...if your not using your skills it shows...especially at the higher level mob fights) and dungeons get more complex the higher you go up, So it's possible that end game PvE will provide some challenge.

I think the people who benefit the most from this game are those that really enjoy a solid PvP experience in addition to the PvE side of things. As a primary PvE player myself, I enjoy the combat...but the external aspects outside of that aren't attention grabbing IMO. But then again...this isn't really the type of game for that. I'm happy with my investement so far. But I could see myself going back to a few other games to play in addition to this one. it won't my my main focus, let's just say that.

16 hours ago, Zirious said:

Let me just say this game has the best character creation I have seen. 10/10 for Chest options and jiggles, so many face options.. funny looking options. I actually spent 30+ minutes trying to create the ideal female character with the stuff I want, but I kept messed up on the thighs, constantly deleting characters to re-do them.

Ahh... ever herd of black desert's character creator? lol. Id say it's decent at best. It lacks quite a few obvious options it needs, particularly for the Lyns. On the character animations, yes, they are great and feel natural. Makes your character feel more alive.

15 hours ago, Zirious said:

Level 5, and still playing.

This game does it right in terms of combat, skills, combos etc that's for sure. Sadly, I'm not huge on clans, guilds, people.. PvP..

Also, I have played SRO & Guild Wars 2.. I gotta say GW2 is amazing.

Unfortunately I over hyped myself and dove into a generally PvP oriented game, which I'm not into. That's okay. The game's not bad at all, it just doesn't spark anything for me, because even though it has PvE and I love PvE, I like there to be something to hold me over while I kill / fight things over and over y'know. Maybe Black Desert can help me there.

Sounds like MMORPG's aren't your thing...

5 minutes ago, WhiteGlint said:

Ahh... ever herd of black desert? lol. Id say it's decent at best. It lacks quite a few obvious options it needs, particularly for the Lyns. On the character animations, yes, they are great and feel natural. Makes your character feel more alive.

Yeah, there are a few games out there that are heads above this one in overall character customization. Havne't seen BD's stuff yet, but interestingly enough, another of NC's creations, Aion, had a huge assortment of sliders, makes this one pale in comparison. Most the recent MMO's I've played seem to focus more on the face unfortunately, then the rest of the body.

animations here are top notch. There are MMO's out there that really try...and just fail to understand basic elements that make a toon look human in the game when they move. B&S has done pretty well here, and the attack animations are fun and interesting on just about every class I've played so far. some are Meh (like the Destro's Cleave), but I love my Blade Dancer and Force Master so far. FM is what Mages should look like when flinging balls of fire...with style!

Just now, BeK said:

Sounds like MMORPG's aren't your thing...

I wouldn't say that. Most MMO's have cycles where you just kill things. But they also often have other game mechanics that are interesting. As an example, crafting can be a far more complex and interesting system then what they have here. literally....crafting in this game is essentially a vending machine with a few component additions. Fits great in a PvP game where PvP players could care less about spending their time working on gathering complex components and leveling up crafting skills to increase your chances of an HQ item or such...But many people look for something a bit more in the stuff outside of killing mobs, and fighting PvP battles. 

You said you played SRO? As in Silkroad online? That's one of my favourite old time MMO's for sure. It was so much fun and I still sometimes play on private servers. Funny that you said PvP's not your thing if you meant Silkroad though, since that game is pretty much primarily about PvP. Atleast for me.

As for blade and soul, the beginning is a bit boring. But leveling is really fast and the game picks up the pace when you reach higher levels. Well, not even high levels. Give it a try until around level 16-17 or so when you unlock your skill tree. The game opened up for me once I was allowed to distribute my skillpoints and create my own builds. My personal complaint so far is the fact you can't have a mount and sometimes traveling long distances is a bit dull, but its not really that bad since you can unlock teleport checkpoints. 

16 hours ago, Zirious said:

is there any interesting side content, is there stuff to do other than the standard kill, level up, get stronger, kill, level up, get stronger and or PvP? PvP is not my thing. Things such as crafting, fishing, hunting, farming etc, side features. After looking at the website, the 'about' page, I have seen nothing about 'side features'. Just "Get revenge! Play as exciting classes! Do cool flips in the air!" etc

Not insulting in any way, just curious.

The story is pretty ok, not the best though in my opinion, 

The crafting system isn't all that great, needs alot of improvement,

The outfits all look nice on both males and females. 

But there isn't anything other than that, 

So far, the only minigames in this game is the Wheel of Fate and even that is game to get items.

Haven't seen any other side activities to do, Most of your time is spent just fighting or crafting,

The quests do get pretty unique though, but ultimately they end up repeating for awhile. 

so, my answer to your question is gonna be No, there isn't much of any side activities to do. 

I found some of the classes combat to be a bit shallow, notably blade masters: block then burn all your focus, then bop them with your sword a few times to loot them. Sure, it definitely gets more in depth at some point but at lvl 16 with a game style that hasn't changed since I first equiped my weapon in the sandbox zone....no bueno.

Kung Fu Master and Assassin appear to have the best combat from what I have seen. It is very flowy and smooth yet require a bit of practice to make work well. As an assassin, you can pretty much choose to never leave stealth or never run out of focus either until you run out of enemies. Your abilities have abilities.

3 minutes ago, Infamousxiii said:

I found some of the classes combat to be a bit shallow, notably blade masters: block then burn all your focus, then bop them with your sword a few times to loot them. Sure, it definitely gets more in depth at some point but at lvl 16 with a game style that hasn't changed since I first equiped my weapon in the sandbox zone....no bueno.

Kung Fu Master and Assassin appear to have the best combat from what I have seen. It is very flowy and smooth yet require a bit of practice to make work well. As an assassin, you can pretty much choose to never leave stealth or never run out of focus either until you run out of enemies. Your abilities have abilities.

Some of the others are fun too. But many of the classes don't start to open up until later levels. Blade Dancer is like this...you pretty much have a 3 skill rotation until your mid 20's where your other skills start to take focus. So I definitely recommend playing to higher levels before making any decisions.

your post got my blade master a stay of execution. maybe when i finish playing the Sin i'll hop back on it. If you haven't tried an assassin yet, you should. just when you start getting a rotation and figuring it all out....the game gives you 6 more abilities. It doesn't slow down until the 20's.

yeah, assassin is an early bloomer. well designed...keeps you interested. BM is slow initially, as is Destro, Blade dancer. Force master was enjoyable to me...but that's less that the have a complex rotation early, and more that they just down stuff fast at those lower levels :D so they go by faster. But my BD was far more involved on a mob by mob basis in her 30's then my Force Master has been. She has the skills there, but they're just not necessary. They do come out later on though, and especially in group setups, where my Fm can really unload. 

Haven't tried the KFM too much yet....had a lvl 5 one, but i just wasn't a fan of the reaction style. i hear they do pretty well later on though. Same with the Blade Master...I enjoy their more defensive orientation, but having to wait for a block to maximize my potential isn't as intersting as being able to unload into a mob when I feel like it. 

29 minutes ago, Savasha said:

There is crafting and such, but I'm not sure exactly what you want out of an MMO.  What you listed is what makes up 90% of every mmorpg ever.  What are you looking for?

I disagree...a bit. one of the things that defines many MMO's nowadays is what's in them BESIDES those things. Every MMO has em. it's what else the MMO has that separates it from the fold. a few examples:

1) Lord of the Rings online - I haven't played it in awhile, but when i was playing it (the release of Mines of Moria and a few years after), It had a great story, and a very solid Tolkien feel to it. I loved the class design there, even though it had the trinity (I actually like the trinity concept when done well). It also had the "legacy Item" concept, in ways i have yet to see in other games. very involved approach to developing your own personal weapons. Its simplified some of those things, but they had a great feel back in the MoM days. I felt like i was with the fellowship seeing them off at Rivendell. one of the few MMO's that really made you feel like part of the story.

2) FFXIV - can't say enough about the technical detail in just about every aspect of this game. They took crafting to a whole new level...it literally was a leveling and progression path all on it's own. you could spend more time leveling and detailing your crafting expertise then you actually would playing your character in the traditional MMO sense. They also had a cool mount/companion system where your mount would fight alongside you when you weren't riding it. it had it's own skillset and everything. You want to talk side games? There's an entire trading card game in FFXIV where you can play against NPC's of all levels, and Buy and collect sets of cards, learn which sets work better against certain NPC's, and this doesn't count playing against other players. it's fun. THAT's a side game. Haven't even brought up the Chocobo races yet. 

3) Path of Exile _ not a traditional MMO (ARPG more like), but it has some amazing depth in character development. and it's skill system to this day is still one of the best I've seen. no classes at all...it was all about what skills you chose via gems, and then where you put points into a massive skill tree. you spent ALLOT of time calculating and carefully mapping your passive skill set in this huge tree...It still is part of what makes that game fun. you have to PLAN what your doing with your character, it's not automatic.

4) SWtOR - Story, pure and simple. I have yet to have a storyline in a game that I enjoyed more then SWtOR. everything mechanics wise screamed WoW, but their approach to the classes, in addition to their Universe and story, really stood out. Crafting was interesting too...they recently simplified it, but it was great in it's origional form, and still light years ahead of what we have in this game.

I know those aren't some of the games the OP mentioned, but I'm just pointing out some places where other games really shine, that has nothing to do with mob grind and combat. B&S has an interesting skill system, but it's not what I would scream as amazing. It's a combination between the simplified systems you see in games like GW1/2, and the more complex "screen of skills" like you see in FFXIV. It's a pretty decent setup, but still has its limitations. The combat is interesting, but that's only because it's evolved around the PvP aspect. I've had games where I watched each and every cut scene and read every line of quest details, and I've had games where I literally skip past the quest junk 3 levels into the game (cough...devilian...cough). This ones in the middle. Some of it makes me want to read, but I skip about 60% of it. just doesn't scream "story" to me. you can't even consider what they call crafting in this game crafting. the "side" games aren't side games...they're slot machines using tokens that you get from world boss kills. meh. 

this game is a PvP combat system with cool animations and solid scenery built around it. and a PvE framework in place to get you to 45 (50). It's not a half bad framework, but there are definitely MMO's out there that do better. But that's probably because many of those MMO's started as a PvE game. It's best selling feature for PvE IMO is that they actually design trash mobs here that make you think about what you are doing. And cool scenery. and costumes...they all look great on every race I've seen so far. But that's not all there is to an MMO for sure.

4 hours ago, EhUEHUHE said:

That's just cuz you are a Blizzard PvE child , no offense .

None taken. People who prefer to make edgy comments over actual logical argument(s) aren't particularly harmful, so don't worry about it.

3 hours ago, WhiteGlint said:

Ahh... ever herd of black desert's character creator? lol. Id say it's decent at best. It lacks quite a few obvious options it needs, particularly for the Lyns. On the character animations, yes, they are great and feel natural. Makes your character feel more alive.

Yes, but I haven't touched anything beyond viewing the website. Thanks for reminding me about that.

2 hours ago, Savasha said:

There is crafting and such, but I'm not sure exactly what you want out of an MMO.  What you listed is what makes up 90% of every mmorpg ever.  What are you looking for?

PvE extensive MMOs /w above average existing side features / content. Mainly the latter.

Y'know.. crafting, gathering skills, professions.. other mechanics.. etc, stuff that's not combat oriented. From my what I noticed, there isn't much of that. I didn't know this game was a PvP oriented game, but that's fine, I'm sticking around. I made a simple question based on what I wanted to know. I see crafting in-game, but it depends how it's done if it's even good, but nevermind that.

1 hour ago, Temjiu said:

~snip~

Good titles/examples you mentioned. I've played SWTOR and PoE (yes, it's ARPG, not really an MMO but call it what you want) pretty good games, despite SWTOR is pretty much too restricted for free to play players. Preferred status is nothing in my opinion :/, I paid 15 bucks like a sucker and now I'm playing other games, better games. I actually looked up FF XIV, may try it.

I'm currently playing multiple MMOs at once (Vindictus, Tera, and this) as well as trying ones I've never played before. When I say Tera, I mean I'm struggling with it, something about it doesn't fit right.

Right now in BnS, I have a Kung Fu Master and an Assassin.. It's pretty good in its own aspects, despite that I tried to give up at 6 AM in the morning playing it. Hah, I should definitely play more obviously.. Sorry about the title, sounds hostile but it wasn't intentional.

Archived