When can we expect an optimization overhaul?

BeardedBourbon

42 minutes ago, Retsopmi said:

I'll address this paragraph by paragraph since quoting doesn't work well for me right now.

First, only they can answer, but I wouldn't hold out for it.

It's not silly at all. Your logic is that because one UE3 game works they all should work equally well. That is just flawed and naive. The engine is only the base of the game. It is not the entirety of the game. Also I've explained how the millions of different software combinations can have major affects on games. Also I doubt you are the only one, I just don't think you and anyone else like you, are the majority. I would venture the people having issues fall into the 5% mark, as with most MMO's. 

Again, your logic is flawed. Basically you are saying that if you drive two cars of the same make and model, that they should operate equally even if the owners don't maintain them the same. Which is just wrong. Computers are the same way and the fact that others who have your hardware have no issues shows that it's not the game, but rather something on your system that interacts with it. Ego aside, it's the most likely answer.

Because no game is made with current gen systems in mind. The point is to allow for growth of hardware without having to expand the software upfront. Single player games don't care about this because they are one and done games. MMO's on the other hand, who's goal is to last years, need to have that put in place.

Taste aside, 60fps is standard for acceptable performance on a PC. Anything above that is just dude measuring manhoods. Again, I think your ego is just getting in the way. 

But you're not just asking for an update. You came in with an opening paragraph stating that you have "notes" and that based on your "notes" this game needs optimization. That's not asking for an update. That's assuming you know what the issue is, Then you stroke your ego about Fallout 4, assuming that somehow matters when you fail to grasp simple engine difference concepts, to make it seem like your assumption is even more valid.

So I'll just bluntly say it. Learn to computer. Get your software environment running better, and be amazed at the lack of issues you will actually have with games.

First, my logic wasn't based on one game. It was based on many. The defense of others is that I shouldn't blame the engine. I'm not blaming the engine. I'm blaming the optimization of the client which is based on the engine.

(Second) Exactly. So I'm going to the dealer for a regular check up and making sure that they're keeping it up to speed with the other car. I don't deal in fixing cars and maintaining them beyond basic stuff like oil and tile pressure. What I DO know how to do is drive the damn thing. I don't claim to know how to fix it in the regards that a mechanic might but I DO know if something isn'r running right or not, IE: car stalling, stuttering, knocking noises. If I'm playing other games based on the same engine and this game happens to not be working well, it's something wrong with the client. You're brining up points I haven't even used as an argument. I never once mentioned that it was a problem with the ENGINE. Anytime I DID refer to the engine was in direct reference with it's configuration of Blade and Soul, IE; the result of the engine SDK assets.

As for me saying this:

" To completely dismiss ENGINE optimization would be silly because I have quite a few other URE 3 games in my Steam Library; all which cooperate with my hardware quite nicely. I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one here either."

I was responding to you making the claim that I was blaming in the engine in which for that matter doesn't make it immune from scrutiny. Merely a single paragraph later, I referred to Blade and Souls configuration of the engine assets. So, to be clear, I'm not talking about the engine.

(Third) Regardless of what their intent is with the game it's still centered on PC architecture. If the point is to grow, then all bases needed to be covered regardless of minority issues. That is another point based on principle. Why would some bother taking a chance on that? (This paragraph is more semantics on the issue of principle but as it's been made clear, the NA localization team compared to the primary Dev team have separate priorities which is understandable).

(Fourth) Don't be uPlay. Don't be that guy. Yes, 60 FPS is acceptable. There's nothing wrong with wanting more especially if you have the hardware to expand on those glamour options. Also, what is this garbage with ego? Why is it seen as egotistical when I'm just expressing a point from an otherwise less common point of view? I fail to see the ego-flexing in that.

(Fifth) You're completely misunderstanding my phrasing at this point. Nothing about my notes completely states that the game needs an optimization, but considering my environment, there's nothing that I can see wrong on my side therefore I'm insisted optimization on the GAME (not the bloody god damned engine). Perhaps it might be a patching error or a screwed up bin file, (in fact, it was a bin file that was causing my Headstart client to crash every 15 minutes, just an example) but in the meantime, I'm providing a stable environment for installing the game. I went ahead and even created a separate partition and will do more study work on that. On a sperate but related note, I mentioned nothing about Fallout 4 which is sort of backing up the first sentence of this paragraph.

(Lastly) I'm not a fan of antagonizing comments especially in a conversation that, for the most part, was panning out well with creative discussion. But for what it's worth, I'm an ITNA so I know very much "how to computer" and through trial and error and through the standard process of elimination, I've removed my hardware configurations and software configurations of fault. That's not to say that there isn't some disagreement between the BnS client and a PROPERLY FUNCTIONING piece of software on my computer but that doesn't implicitly mean that MY configuration is flawed. If the first program is having issues with another PROPERLY FUNCTIONING program, it's the former's fault. In this case, if Blade and Soul is having incompatibility issues or knocking heads with a piece of properly functioning software on my computer, the fault lies within Blade and Soul for not agreeing with it, therefore an update to it (or otherwise known as an optimization patch) is required.

I'm not going to insist that a dog has behavioral issues because it barks and I don't like it barking (Blade and Soul Client). It's a dog. A common trait for a dog is that bark.(Software working as intended).

In computer terms, just because a game performs like ass because it only uses 2 out of my 6 cores (4 parked via client side pushing) doesn't intrinsically mean that my CPU is broken or flawed. Sure, it could perhaps have a better single-core performance, but I'd get better performance from being able to use all 6 cores in the first place and it wouldn't be reasonable to expect me to drop back to a duo-core with high single-core performance.

As a post-script; Unreal Engine 3 may be old but it's still one of the most widely used engines in the gaming industry right now. Hardly any games have adopted URE4. To insist that a developer wouldn't/shouldn't have any desire to work on it simply because it doesn't get UR Dev support anymore is ludicrous. I was heavily involved with this games early testing because I enjoyed it and wanted to be. I have no reason to back out now just because it's "not likely". But then again, I'm not just someone who rolls over and takes what's given to them. Those people are the people who whine about getting jipped by companies like EA, Ubisoft, and the like after they learn that the game they pre-ordered is garbage.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, enem said:

and as counterpoint I have zero issues running this game/engine on a highend i7 machine at high resolution. 20 or 30 players on screen in a field boss fight and it's still running 60fps.   it's not across the board unoptimized, there's apparently some configurations that aren't performing optimally - be that the hardware or the software environment.  

to be honest I don't think we should expect any engine optimisation however it doesn't hurt to ask to see if it's on their radar.

asian version - 60 fps everything maxxed

eu version - 10fps in dungeons erverything low

yeah sure, game optimized kappa. EU and NA version are lightyears behind the asian version, and not only in content.

7 minutes ago, ImHeartless said:

asian version - 60 fps everything maxxed

eu version - 10fps in dungeons erverything low

yeah sure, game optimized kappa. EU and NA version are lightyears behind the asian version, and not only in content.

Just want to chip in on the content thing real quick. All the content is basically ready. Some of the last Korean content releases are still probably being localized for NA but in the mean time, they're just releasing it on a controlled schedule (sorta parallel to Korea) to rake in more money (which is to be expected). A lot of founders probably blew all of their NCoin already so the plan is already working. If players want more NCoin related content related to NEW game content, they'll have to buy more.

Me on the other hand, I'm saving my NCoin. :P

NCSoft have a SUPER expensive CaShop model. The standard game ratio is $1:100 CaShop points. NCSoft's are $1:80 AND they have a higher price tag on their NCoin products (compared to other MMOs).

Hi,

i7 4790K

GTX EVGA SC 980

8GB G.SKILL TRIDENT X 2400MHZ (OC XMP)

SSD SAMSUNG PRO 850 256GB

And sadly this game is poorly optimized, my fps drops a lot and the only way to get stable 60fps is when nobody is around me. On fights or dungeons with 6 people my fps drops until 20-25. I have the latest driver from Nvidia and sometimes i get a lof of TDR errors with the nvidia panel when im playing BNS.

On FFXIV HS (with everything maxed) i can play with 20-30 people on my screen without a single fps drop or in  huge raids.

PC SPEC: 

i7 4770k 4.2ghz, overclocked. MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB, 256 SSD

Ultra 60FPS+ 

However, i had to change the game priority to high from normal through the task manager, before that i had like 40 FPS. 

So that fixed my issue, might fix yours as well. We had a huge post about this on reddit and it has helped tons of players, give it a shot! 

3 minutes ago, Aimscoes said:

PC SPEC: 

Ultra 60FPS+ 

However, i had to change the game priority to high from normal through the task manager, before that i had like 40 FPS. 

So that fixed my issue, might fix yours as well. We had a huge post about this on reddit and it has helped tons of players, give it a shot! 

you should never have to tweak around settings that may make your system unstable, its bad optimized and you just prove it

2 minutes ago, ImHeartless said:

you should never have to tweak around settings that may make your system unstable, its bad optimized and you just prove it

Yeah but i know what am doing when i tweak my settings as i even have a overclocked PC for higher demanding games. 

Putting it up on high for me have caused nothing "unexpected" or even changing the heat what so ever. 

It's queit a shame i actually had to do this, as you said as well, it shows bad optimization from the game & with my PC spec i should be running almost any game today on ULTRA with even 100%+ rendering. 

1 minute ago, ImHeartless said:

Well of course but they're just offering a workaround. Granted, it doesn't work for everyone. I tried it earlier. Didn't work. 

1 minute ago, BeardedBourbon said:

Well of course but they're just offering a workaround. Granted, it doesn't work for everyone. I tried it earlier. Didn't work. 

Ahh thats bad, not sure why it works for some and not for others, i am happy it worked for me tho. 

6 minutes ago, Aimscoes said:

PC SPEC: 

Ultra 60FPS+ 

Will try that once I get home from work. So thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Mokiki said:

Will try that once I get home from work. So thanks in advance.

You're welcome! 

Please post back here if it helped you or not earlier, interesting to see why this won't work for some players "i am a tech freak" 

I have yet to experience these issues others seem to be going through with their high end pcs.  I run a consistent 95-100 fps in all areas, dropping to around 60 in crowned spots, whatever it is I hope they fix it soon, I can't fathom gaming under 60.

1 hour ago, ImHeartless said:

Oh guys, wanna say this guy has shit speccs too ? i7 struggling with 6 people and you call people out on not knowing how to use thier computer hahaha, ncsoft youknowwhat lickers.... ffxiv is alot alot alot more intensive than bns, yet he plays it fine, and a 4years old game on a normally really good engine runs like crap once he hits 6ppl on screen, thats like every zone ever...

no, he should just turn of his HyperThreading.

I7 for gaming is pointless, i5 gives you the same, if not better performance at specific benchmarks.

None of the added features an i7 brings is needed for gaming.

I played the game the last year on the unofficial RU server, that if my memory is not mistaken is based around a very old version of the  CN client, and i can say with my toaster specs i could play the game fairly well even on mid-high settings.
But on EU? Low settings on everything with barely 30 fps, if i have more than 3 ppl on my screen hitting something my pc barely survives haha, so yeah if even an unofficial server based on an ancient version of the game can run better than our version it's pretty obvious there is some optimization problems on our clients.

17 minutes ago, Olivar said:

no, he should just turn of his HyperThreading.

I7 for gaming is pointless, i5 gives you the same, if not better performance at specific benchmarks.

None of the added features an i7 brings is needed for gaming.

To be honest this isn't completely true anymore. It was last console gen when most console ports were just using 2 cores anyways. Given that this console actually makes use of 6+ cores makes the i7 relevant again. Obviously this isn't standard practice yet but will only be more true with the games to come.

Additionally I'd have turned off HT if I could :P Since this pc isn't just my gaming rig but also my workstation which I use to render cg stuff I actually need to make use of HT :)

What is this thread about? If you seriously think there is even a 0.001% chance the game gets an optimization overhaul i don't know what to say. The game released june 2012 in korea, lol. It runs on unreal engine and the devs probably can't even optimize anything without major rewires.

its just another example of a badly optimized NA launch of an Asian MMO, group combat lags so severely I can't even move. No other game does that so you can quit that fanboi shit right now, its not my computer seeing as it runs every other game I have perfectly fine. 

As much as i like the game and waited ages for it , i can't force myself any longer to play with low fps..

FX 8350 5.25 ghz

r9 290x 1900mhz

8GB DDR3

I CAN'T HOLD 60 FPS on 800x600!

Did a clean install of the system , drivers , installed the game on 3 different hard drives and in safe mode it just doesn't work. 

and im almost at the point of saying , nope fk this im done.

i rather play a game i do not enjoy as much as b&s on Ultra with 60fps , than b&s with low end and optimized for combat on 800x600 with constant dips.

Just no. 

40 minutes ago, Tqno said:

What is this thread about? If you seriously think there is even a 0.001% chance the game gets an optimization overhaul i don't know what to say. The game released june 2012 in korea, lol. It runs on unreal engine and the devs probably can't even optimize anything without major rewires.

Asking for status on anything related to performance optimization.

It's in their best interest to optimize the game. They won't turn a profit in NA if they don't (and lose players) regardless of all the founder packs they sold.

7 hours ago, Aimscoes said:

You're welcome! 

Please post back here if it helped you or not earlier, interesting to see why this won't work for some players "i am a tech freak" 

I just had a go with the game set on high priority via the task manager and I have to say its a bit smoother now. Not where I would expect it to be but its definitely noticeable.

Will have to do longer playtests though, but nonetheless thanks for the tip.

1 minute ago, Mokiki said:

I just had a go with the game set on high priority via the task manager and I have to say its a bit smoother now. Not where I would expect it to be but its definitely noticeable.

Will have to do longer playtests though, but nonetheless thanks for the tip.

Great! Remember that you have to do this everytime you launch the game, as the computer auto sets it to "normal" priority once exited. 

Archived