Sign in to follow this  
spiritessence

No dodge?

Recommended Posts

So I was told this was an action based combat mmo, with personal skill progression. Meaning, how good you are with your skills determines your strength. Not like old, dull mmos, where everything is about gear, and getting the first attack in.

 

So far, my first impression is pretty bad. No dodge mechanic? So if I see a giant aoe around me, Im just supposed to tank it? What do I get? Skill based dodges? With what, 5min cooldowns?

 

I'm going to compare this game to Tera because Tera got the action based combat right. Blocking at the exact right time, dodging, and moving fast. This game has none of that, at least very early on. Combat movement speed is slow, the first ability has slow animation, and we dont have any quick dodge. 

 

So am I in for a surprice later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aiezen   

Each class has there own skill set for dodging, that unlocks as you level. By lvl 20 you should have just about all your dodges unlocked. A backstep, Sidesteps, reversals. Depends on the class but most get the "double tap S Backstep" and "Q, E  sidesteps"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yui   

Level up a little and their will be a move that if you double tap your backward key, you move backward to evade, keep in mind they do have a cooldown.

 

If i recall it was lvl 8 or 10 on Assassin

Edited by Yui

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yui said:

Level up a little and their will be a move that if you double tap your backward key, you move backward to evade, keep in mind they do have a cooldown.

 

If i recall it was lvl 8 or 10 on Assassin

What about later skills? Even the basic attacks of the assassin  is very slow and sluggish. There is a 0.5 - 1sec delay when tapping LMB for the attack to start.

Edited by spiritessence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yui   

Assassin's are very ping dependent. They feel slow and sluggish now but as you level the ways into stealth and such expand. Also some skills can be upgraded to be completely different. a PvP assassin for example has several skills that are different from a PvE assassin.

 

the double tap backwards will always feel iffy and sluggish, this is because it is more for an absolute avoid then something you spam. You will have several ways to enter stealth and assassin's survive by an insane boost to evasion for being in stealth. Red circular AoE in PvE means dodge back, otherwise you can Q and sidestep behind into stealth, Decoy into stealth, have a poison stack and Tab a close range kick into stealth. Well you get the idea.

Edited by Yui

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moggie   

I put this game's "action-combat" at tier 2 along with Neverwinter and some others. It's more engaging than a lot of mmo's, but not as much as Vindictus for example, which I put at tier 1 as all the dodging is done in real time and not based on cooldowns. So to answer your question, no it will never be a true free-action combat system but after learning the Q and E as well as your class's special evasive techniques, there is a lot of strategy involved that makes it feel like you are responsible for your character's dodging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Yui said:

Assassin's are very ping dependent. They feel slow and sluggish now but as you level the ways into stealth and such expand. Also some skills can be upgraded to be completely different. a PvP assassin for example has several skills that are different from a PvE assassin.

 

the double tap backwards will always feel iffy and sluggish, this is because it is more for an absolute avoid then something you spam. You will have several ways to enter stealth and assassin's survive by an insane boost to evasion for being in stealth. Red circular AoE in PvE means dodge back, otherwise you can Q and sidestep behind into stealth, Decoy into stealth, have a poison stack and Tab into stealth. Well you get the idea.

Ping based? That sounds like a great concept for combat in a game released in 2016. Action based combat should be polished and smooth. This is pathetic. I'll give it a try for a bit, but so far, this game seems like just another avarage mmo. They could have expanded upon the amazing combat system of Tera, not release a game with a worse one. Although it's not the same company, they could at least have taken notice of what they were competing against.

Edited by spiritessence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yui   
Just now, spiritessence said:

Ping based? That sounds like a great concept for combat in a game released in 2016. Action based combat should be polished and smooth. This is pathetic. I'll give it a try for a bit, but so far, this game seems like just another avarage mmo. They could have expanded upon the amazing combat system of Tera, not release a game with a worse one. Although it's not the same company, they could at least have taken notice of what they were competing against.

The Assassin is ping reliant, and most of the ping issues are bad infrastructure in the United States not due to the game. Almost anywhere else in the world doesn't have the tangled mess NA does. Doesn't help that companies own rights to entire regions so they can decide if they upgrade or not.

Some of the end game currently is rather fun. similar to TERA but less reaction time. In tera you had huge moments to DPS and such, in this game you and your group do this. and mechanics happen fast. The game for me is very fun if I get better at Assassin it may even out do my love of playing  a warrior in TERA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this