How to change to Japanese, Korean or Chinese voice actors.

Cestarian

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm assuming that the other versions have more character dialogue than the NA release? If so...

Would it be possible to keep ALL of the English speaking dialogue, and then have Chinese/Japanese/Korean/whatever fill in for whatever the North American version doesn't have voiced over currently? Basically  I want to keep as much of the English voice acting as I can, but then fill in the silence of the NPC's that currently do not have any english voice acting.

Thanks!

Don't think you can do that LzyRob. I mean it's possible, but to do that you (yourself) would have to download the japanese language files; open/extract them one by one (350 bloody files!; this can be scripted for automation, but you'd need to be at least as good as me at scripting, and  you need a method to open the package files which I do not possess) and do the same with the english voice files, then on a one-by-one basis override all the japanese language files with your english files contents, and keep the extra contents of the japanese files in there as it was before (because there are more files inside the japanese files than in the english ones), then re-package it into it's original package format, and then maybe, MAYBE it would work (potentially could have some lip-synch problems, or you could end up only having english voices in the end after all) but even if it does work... Mixed language game dialogues are going to sound really silly. And besides; A lot of work for a "maybe".

10 hours ago, SuicideFran said:

Blocked!

I change the lenguage just for that..

BLOCKED! ..So annoying. Lol. It sounds so good in JP.

Also I think main character should say something sometimes, let us customize the voice, and then say some words in cinamticas for christ sake.

Did you really get banned? Or just kidding?

7 hours ago, Senzura said:

it doesnt work for me ;-; i followed the steps exactly but when i login the npcs dont have any voices at all

Then try the good old junction link approach. That one will work if you do it right (for sure).

@Cestarian Thank you, kind sir. Now I shall no longer have to live in fear of being accosted every time I want to store my items in the dungeon lobby. That voice never failed to disturb me physically and mentally. My only regret is the amazing aubrey plaza soundalike in the desert region. She was truly the greatest VA. 

Tried the Japanese voice pack yesterday and it really does sound a lot better, with the subs and speech bubbles still being English it's not like you lose out on anything, Honestly they could have saved the money on the horrible English voice actors imo, and just subbed the original speech. Even BDO has better English voice acting, some of BnS English voices sound like they've been recorded with a plastic microphone as well. 

Again I will say,

NCWEST/NCSOFT did a horrible job in dubbing this game, probably didn't even spend that much and hired amateur voice actors for this game. That is how horrible it is and so much it sucks I even switched the voices. Japanese Voice Actors for the win. More power to them, then the crappy English Voices. Props for them trying tho.

The "Rats as I expected" line was the one I couldn't deal with anymore, it was actually legitimately starting to make me wince when I heard it. I have said this multiple times in multiple threads, but as an amateur voice actor myself, it really disappoints me to see so little effort put into most of the voice acting. I still attest that for some of the main characters, or for characters who clearly have well known voice actors, they do alright. But even taking that into consideration, when you HAVE a character that is on point with their voice acting, it is instantly ruined by another character with voice acting so bad it makes you want to turn off the voice acting altogether, or in this case, literally patch a different voice pack in ourselves, because what we have is so ear-splittingly bad we'd rather get a bunch of files from a different version of the game and learn how to add them to ours.

That's REALLY bad. I'm not even kidding here.

Watch this. The VERY FIRST LINE in this video, INFAMOUS now for how excruciatingly bad it was, is still EONS better than most of the voices done in our version. There are only like...two or three clips in this 50 clip video that sound AS bad as what we have.

There really isn't any excuse for this, except to save money. You have the voice acting community positively DRIPPING with talent, new and old. You could have picked ANYONE with your resources and long-time standing in the industry. I could do a better job, RIGHT NOW, for 90% of the characters in the game, and you wouldn't even have to pay me. I'd do it so no one would ever have to listen to "This isn't working....TRANSSSSSFORRRM" and then the wussiest sound effect I have possibly ever heard, while the dialogue says...yippie? 

This isn't even close to okay, it's disrespectful to the source material, and it makes me feel like YOU think WE are either stupid, or we don't deserve quality.

I realize that because of my enthusiasm and passion for the art, I take actual offense to how this was/is being handled, but I do. The voice acting in all of the other games, PARTICULARLY the Japanese and the original Korean are amazing.

The right voice can bring a character to LIFE, they can make you forget you are playing a game/watching a show. You FEEL what they FEEL, THAT is the HALLMARK of exceptional acting.

The hell am I supposed to feel listening to "grilled yutay sounds good, or maybe friend yu-what should we have for dinner?" I mean REALLY? Those sentences aren't even in the right order.

You can do better. This game deserves better.

/drops mic

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just renamed the thread, maybe it'll show up on google more often now after a while. But this probably won't be stickied, however, if you want it to be more visible we simply need to keep the discussion active.

• 2 weeks later...

*keeps the discussion active*

Seriously though, thank you so much for creating this thread! The game is a lot more enjoyable now and I cannot even imagine ever going back to the English voice pack. I really hope we can get some kind of "green light" or at least an official alternative for this soon as I'd rather not live in constant fear of a ban.

Speaking of which, what I love most is that the KR, CN and JP voices provide some little bonuses that were cut from the ENG dub. For example on one of your first quests upon entering Gloomdross Forest you're tasked with pulling out some mushrooms. In the JP dub, pulling out a mushroom will cause the nearby mushroom monster to attack you will screaming YAMETE KUDASAI, and something along the lines of "You're killing my friends!" What's worse is that it sounds like a little child instead of what you'd expect from a mushroom thing. 

Actually the main quest dubs are decent and some of the dragon traders, what's bad are the rest of the NPCS. Most notorious are the human enemies.

I always cackle in faction warzones and you keep hearing them say "DE-FEENNNDEDD!" "BLOCKED!" "GET READY!" over and over again.

On 3/12/2016 at 4:58 AM, Destinykraze said:

This is illegal game mod by default. bannable. But I hope the mods close an eye for this. The english dub is so bad...

How do you gather it's an illegal game mod? These files are not modified they are official game files; and sure, while their redistribution may or may not be completely legal (for the ones who redistribute them), what makes you reach that conclusion?

Also the mods have been looking past this thread so far, don't see why they'd stop now. As I said at some point earlier in this thread, I think this is being silently permitted. By NCWEST (if they didn't want us to be doing this, they'd have stopped us by now).

On 11/03/2016 at 11:58 PM, Destinykraze said:

This is illegal game mod by default. bannable. But I hope the mods close an eye for this. The english dub is so bad...

It's not illegal at all.  Babbletr0n said that he used an English mod to play on Asian servers himself.   They won't provide support for issues due to the use of language packs and can't say whether or not they would be flagged by GG.

Language packs offer nothing to players, except that they no longer have to pretend to follow the story, because they won't be able to understand anything. 

2 minutes ago, rocdog said:

It's not illegal at all.  Babbletr0n said that he used an English mod to play on Asian servers himself.   They won't provide support for issues due to the use of language packs and can't say whether or not they would be flagged by GG.

Language packs offer nothing to players, except that they no longer have to pretend to follow the story, because they won't be able to understand anything. 

Lol speak for yourself, I understand almost every word with the Japanese voice pack. I'm like 50% fluent in Japanese; and since most of my vocabulary comes from media like anime and sometimes games, it's the right side of 50% for gaming.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived