How to change to Japanese, Korean or Chinese voice actors.

Cestarian

11 hours ago, Cestarian said:

Allright guys, I added my method of modifying the game to use japanese voices, can also be used for korean and chinese. All I did was create that batch file. Everything else was made by NCSoft (In Korea, Japan, China and North America (I think NCWest is in north america)) so credit to the original authors, don't forget it.

If anyone dislikes the obscene use of moving files around to get this to work, you can modify the batch yourself to set the original files in the described TEMP dir, and the modified files in the JAPANESE dir, deleting the original CookedPC dir, then instead of moving the files you can create junction links ("MKLINK /J "path" "path"" is the command to do so) and then replace just these junction links instead of moving the files around.

Moving the files around should in theory have a little effect on your hard drive's lifetime, I don't know about SSDs but probably the same (they have limited reads and writes, not limited file movements). But if you give me a good enough reason, I might create such a batch myself.

Great Idea, I just used mklinks for this guide.

I have expensive SSD and moving files ( 2GB ) every launch is bad.

So here is what I´ve done.

First of all I moved All folders that were used in this walktrough, TEMP, JAPANESE and CookedPC to G: ( My regulard HDD )

Then I created mklinks here is example:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\BnS\contents\Local\NCWEST\ENGLISH\CookedPC" "G:\Bns TEMP\CookedPC"
Junction created for C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\BnS\contents\Local\NCWEST\ENGLISH\CookedPC <<===>> G:\Bns TEMP\CookedPC

C:\WINDOWS\system32>mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\BnS\contents\Local\NCWEST\TEMP" "G:\Bns TEMP\TEMP"
Junction created for C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\BnS\contents\Local\NCWEST\TEMP <<===>> G:\Bns TEMP\TEMP

C:\WINDOWS\system32>mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\BnS\contents\Local\NCWEST\JAPANESE" "G:\Bns TEMP\JAPANESE"
Junction created for C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\BnS\contents\Local\NCWEST\JAPANESE <<===>> G:\Bns TEMP\JAPANESE

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Note that the first path was to the symbolic folder I wanted to create, while the second path was to the real folder. Also the real folder ( Second path ) exists, while symbolic folder ( first path doesn´t )

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you talking about? The download links are working...

3 hours ago, AsphineNytrix said:

Great Idea, I just used mklinks for this guide.

Did it work? Reason I didn't do that from the start was that junction links are known to cause problems from time to time (they're not as good as symbolic links, which windows sadly does not support), I assume you just used the batch file as is right?

The solution I had in mind was this:

1. Move modified voices to JAPANESE
  2. Move original voices to TEMP
  3. Make sure the cookedPC directory is empty (just in case, make sure it exists though)

Then use this batch file instead.

7 minutes ago, Cestarian said:

Did it work? Reason I didn't do that from the start was that junction links are known to cause problems from time to time (they're not as good as symbolic links, which windows sadly does not support), I assume you just used the batch file as is right?

3. Delete C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\BnS\contents\Local\NCWEST\ENGLISH\CookedPC

Yup all is working fine, I created new character right now, to try it more. And so far all is working :) Login + NPc sounds are ok, although I thought I will get my character to speak japanese too, sadly that doesn´t work.

Well until NCSoft will let us use their way, I will use this. Hope I won´t get banned or something :P

EDIT:

JAPANESE voices are soooo much better. And Poharan. OH MY GOD! so awesome. I dont think I cant play any east MMORPG without asian voices :)

All is so much better.... like ambient voices. ENGLISH doesn´t have that!

Thank you Cestarian for the instructions! Hopefully NCWest is able to have the Eastern voice pack provided within the launcher. They did say they are working hard to get it, and for all of you in the forum, you do know it is really hard to communicate with NCSoft over in Korea right? Language barriers pretty much..

Personally I don't see the english voice acting as a problem. When I saw their first live stream, I thought it was pretty bad but I've noticed that some of the good voice actors from other video games like FF are in here. I think French is really great too (I am learning french, its a fancy language)  but yeah I can see why people who came here as a anime fan would really want the japanese version eventhoughitsakoreangamelol

it doesn't bother me, but when I see a japanese name in-game half of the time, it makes me shiver a little 

2 minutes ago, snowowl said:

Thank you Cestarian for the instructions! Hopefully NCWest is able to have the Eastern voice pack provided within the launcher. They did say they are working hard to get it, and for all of you in the forum, you do know it is really hard to communicate with NCSoft over in Korea right? Language barriers pretty much..

Personally I don't see the english voice acting as a problem. When I saw their first live stream, I thought it was pretty bad but I've noticed that some of the good voice actors from other video games like FF are in here. I think French is really great too (I am learning french, its a fancy language)  but yeah I can see why people who came here as a anime fan would really want the japanese version eventhoughitsakoreangamelol

it doesn't bother me, but when I see a japanese name in-game half of the time, it makes me shiver a little 

We know very well it´s Korean game, but well, I just love Japanese. And after my IT education, I´m starting japanese language. Already got books. I just love that language.  :)

Also < Ayase Kurogane ..... *shiver* *shiver*

11 minutes ago, Cestarian said:

3. Make sure the cookedPC directory is empty (just in case, make sure it exists though)

I don't see anything clickable that will allow me to download the voicepacks in the OP.  Do I just follow the instructions and something will be downloaded automatically?

3 minutes ago, AsphineNytrix said:

We know very well it´s Korean game, but well, I just love Japanese. And after my IT education, I´m starting japanese language. Already got books. I just love that language.  :)

Ah yes, I really admire people that are like you! ^^ what makes me really feel crept out are the people who are really obsessed in the Japanese, they think that Japan is just anime and not anything else. As a Asian born in the US, I can see why many here like eastern Asia.. its like a special treasure to them xD 

I shouldn't have searched up that name while at school... owe

23 minutes ago, AsphineNytrix said:

Oh, make sure you use Heisig's books to learn Hiragana and Katakana (if you don't have them down yet) it's a really efficient way, I used it adn just as promised in the book, I had them all down in 2 weeks. The kanji are a bit more daunting, but I learned that there are some 200 or so "primitive" kanji that all other kanji are based on, you should learn t hese first (often overlooked) then learning the rest will be easier.

I'm self taught in Japanese for the most part (did go to school once, but didn't finish) myself. Studied it for the same reason as you, I just felt it was an amazing language relatively soon after I first heard it, it sounded so "clean" somehow, that appealed to me. If I had learned the kanji properly I would be fluent by now, but at least I'm at the level where I could easily watch anime without subtitles right about now, as such, playing blade & soul without relying on the english subs will also be easy.

The primary reason I selected Japanese over korean (or chinese) is that I understand much of it, and can use that to my advantage to push through the localization done by NCWest (who knows, maybe they butchered the storyline with that crap). Also the Japanese voice dub of the game tends to be applauded for being better than the original (although I find that hard to buy considering that this might just be what the nutty weebs are saying)

20 minutes ago, snowowl said:

Ah yes, I really admire people that are like you! ^^ what makes me really feel crept out are the people who are really obsessed in the Japanese, they think that Japan is just anime and not anything else. As a Asian born in the US, I can see why many here like eastern Asia.. its like a special treasure to them xD 

I shouldn't have searched up that name while at school... owe

Ah thanks :) . And nope I´m not a Weeabo or how do they call the people who act like Japanese and are totally obsessed with it. Like speaking in weird mish mash of Japanese with other language. I have desire to properly learn it :). I enjoy Japanese History, Culture and  of course Anime which I prefer much more over normal real movies and stuff. I just like how Anime can convey emotions :).

14 minutes ago, Cestarian said:

Oh, make sure you use Heisig's books to learn Hiragana and Katakana (if you don't have them down yet) it's a really efficient way, I used it adn just as promised in the book, I had them all down in 2 weeks. The kanji are a bit more daunting, but I learned that there are some 200 or so "primitive" kanji that all other kanji are based on, you should learn t hese first (often overlooked) then learning the rest will be easier.

I'm self taught in Japanese for the most part (did go to school once, but didn't finish) myself. If I had learned the kanji properly I would be fluent by now, but at least I'm at the level where I could easily watch anime without subtitles right about now, as such, playing blade & soul without relying on the english subs will also be easy.

The primary reason I selected Japanese over korean (or chinese) is that I understand much of it, and can use that to my advantage to push through the localization done by NCWest (who knows, maybe they butchered the storyline with that crap). Also the Japanese voice dub of the game tends to be applauded for being better than the original (although I find that hard to buy considering that this might just be what the nutty weebs are saying)

will definitely check out those books, I really admire you for learning Japanese by yourself. And I agree Kanji is really hell, Hiragana and Katakana are kinda ok. Right now I´m in a state where I have a vague idea what is said in Japanese. But really can´t read or write. :). Will take some time before I fully immerse myself, right now I have to prioritize stuff related to my work :).

And thanks for all the tips.

Oh thanks :), and you're welcome. I was just playing the game properly with japanese for the first time, and I noticed that everything is voiced, I mean the japanese voice files are almost a gigabyte bigger than the english ones, I thought at first it might be because of the increased audio quality, but it was also because they voiced "Everything". Side quests are voiced, some menu interactions are voiced (like sending friend and group invites, "cannot use this ability right now" etc), even minor characters like people walking down the street or some basic enemies are often voiced.

The dialogues are also significantly longer than in english more often than not, which is pretty nice if you can understand what they're saying. As I said in the OP as well, english translation is highly inconsistent with the japanese version, sometimes it's spot on, sometimes it's 3 words for what in japanese is a whole damn speech hehe (3 words that also mean something completely different). A lot of side quests have a different storyline, etc. Main quest seems to be relatively close so far (although I only played till lvl 10 now)

Also for more good news, lip synch and character animations are part of the voice packs for some reason, so characters actions match with what they're saying when you switch to japanese, that was above my expectations (they have some pretty cool animations for basic dialogues as well, and more of it than in the english version where it all seems to have been toned down a bit)

But now I'm beginning to understand a bit why translation took so damn long, it was because they also had to edit the lip synch and animation files to match the translations. That's quite a lot of work (and they didn't even complete it fully, since if they had... well.. everything would be voiced like in the japanese version)

I am seeing a lot of topics about how to change voice acting, so I am still hoping for official way to do it.  I'm sad to say it, but I would even pay reasonable price for official stuff, just to be safe.

They should just translate subtitles from beginning, much easier and faster for better result. I like english too, but the one we got just doesn't feel right and I was really strugling not to skip cinematics :(

I'd like to see a reply from ncsoft. I mean, in some stream at the beginning they said that they were going to (most likely, not certainly) provide the option for different voicepacks. Now they said in a more up to date stream that they dont plan to do so in the near future (which probably means they wont). 

But since some of the players would really love this to be a thing, and modding game files is more or less not "allowed", an answer from ncsoft telling us if they are approving it or not would be helpful - after all it's official files, just from a different language, so there shouldnt be a problem... right ncsoft?

2 hours ago, Yamyatos said:

I'd like to see a reply from ncsoft. I mean, in some stream at the beginning they said that they were going to (most likely, not certainly) provide the option for different voicepacks. Now they said in a more up to date stream that they dont plan to do so in the near future (which probably means they wont). 

But since some of the players would really love this to be a thing, and modding game files is more or less not "allowed", an answer from ncsoft telling us if they are approving it or not would be helpful - after all it's official files, just from a different language, so there shouldnt be a problem... right ncsoft?

Well I think, their hands are full of BOTS and Server issues. I don´t think they have time to think about few people who are using Japanese voice pack.  Well and if we are doing something wrong I think moderators would have locked this thread long ago, they are quite handful when it comes to something that violates their rules.

But, It would be nice to have someone from NC to say, we don´t care as long as you are using original files. :)

14 minutes ago, AsphineNytrix said:

Well I think, their hands are full of BOTS and Server issues. I don´t think they have time to think about few people who are using Japanese voice pack.  Well and if we are doing something wrong I think moderators would have locked this thread long ago, they are quite handful when it comes to something that violates their rules.

But, It would be nice to have someone from NC to say, we don´t care as long as you are using original files. :)

Well ehrm jeah, sure they have hands full with other problems. But there are different sections in a company. People who are on the forums and responsible for moderating or community management are not the same people that work on hard- or software, or game design.

So even if the hard/software party has a hell of a lot of work to do right now, the community managers and so on are unaffected by it. 

16 hours ago, snowowl said:

Nothing against Koreans they have some awesome stuff there and it's a great country (at least the south is ^^) but i really dislike how their Language sounds.

Japanese sounds way better to me they also have some of the best voice actors in the world there.

One of the biggest differences I've seen now that I've attempted listening to the English voices is   *SPOILERS*    when Musung is fading in and out of the cave, in the Japanese audio his voice echos and is layered nicely but in this English version it's just chopped and spliced, sometimes not finishing the sentence...not spooky at all. Admittedly his English voice is one of the few that I actually like.

(And man, the voice of the old Tyrian cultist guy that gets bodied by Jin Seo Yeon is where I threw my hands up and said I couldn't take it anymore.)

Whoops, I made a mistake with the junction link batch file, I forgot to put quotation marks around the rd command paths. It's all fixed now in the guide, but if you were having trouble with it, that was why (you can download the new batch file if you didn't figure it out yet)

The only reason this happened was because I couldn't test it (since my installation path is actually "D:\Games\...") it only worked because there were no spaces in my file path, but there is a space in "Program Files (x86)" which breaks the path unless quotation marks are used.

Sorry.

As for getting into trouble for doing this, I haven't encountered any such thing (in fact I'm using that elaborate batch file in order to avoid that to begin with, if you use the older method which I wasn't satisfied with where you just launch the game directly ignoring the launcher completely, you could end up launching an outdated version of the game and have a desynch with the servers which could look like a cheat and have you banned, I have things set up to avoid that one. As long as you just always check for updates when you launch as I said, everything will be good unless NCSoft/NCWest specifically decide to crack down on us for doing this, considering they haven't so far... I hope they never will, but if they do decide, we will probably be given heads up first.)

This is very tempting... I would love to hear them in Japanese or korean, the english dub is not that terrible, but as usual.. Lack of character in it, it feels like there is no soul in the characters... I would go as far as making new character and re start from the beginning for just to rewind the story in those voices. I'm following this topic, waiting for staff to respond.

Just so you know, game dev and publisher staff tend to steer clear of things like this and "silently approve it" (which they have been doing for the past days) or silently disapprove of it (just one of these days a few months from now, boom, this won't be possible to do anymore all of a sudden, I know how they could arrange it, and doing it the way I'm thinking there would be no reason to ban anyone (they could simply add the file verification check to the secondary launch option for the client.exe we are using to bypass the file check, or remove that secondary launch option altogether, they can easily do either, and will if they really don't want us to do this.)

But so far not even moderators have closed this thread, meaning so far we still have a yellow light, and the light will remain yellow until we either get a green light (NCWest gives us an official method to do this from the launcher) or a red light (they do what I just suggested, making it completely impossible to launch the game without a file verification)

There could also be a second type of green light where the file verification would pass files for another language in any language directory (they are after all valid files even if they're not exactly where they should be) for now that would be best for us (since we wouldn't need that stupid batch file anymore)

Anyways, as you said, it's up to you to jump on this while the light is still yellow or wait for it to be allowed or forbidden completely. Either way I doubt they will actually say anything in this thread (besides perhaps a moderator closing it, which they would have done already if this was actually something they disapproved of.)

Staff are busy, I know from other multiplayer games that things like this get treated in such a way. (For example, once upon a time in MWO you could use custom configuration files to enable graphics settings that weren't in the game settings menu, then one day, after one fateful patch, it wasn't possible anymore. Many cried, MWO devs (and other PGI staff) never spoke a word of it.)

Just thought you should know that you might be waiting for nothing. This workaround might be silently approved for years.

They've gotta know how terrible the English voice acting is. I mean the quality of half of the recordings is worse than what I get with my $5 microphone from wally world... I'd like to see if a mod at least jumps in here to shut it down. If not, then this might be "silently approved."

Archived