The loot system. No.

MadMage

4 minutes ago, 897971_1452550635 said:

Eventually you can use that same money to outbid somebody else! 

It's perfect! is better than rolling need in other games with a weekly lock and rng jesus, and taking 6 months to get your item.

On the other hand it's worse than a token system to ensure that everyone at least gets SOMETHING.

I never complained about it, just said it encouraged gold buying for those seeking instant gratification while pugging and has lots of troll potential. But, if you join a decent clan or have a decent group you can often get things for the opening bid without any of that hassle. No loot system is perfect. Every system is going to be criticized by people who feel they're not getting a sufficient return on their time invested. And that threshold is different for everyone. Some people feel one run is enough while others don't mind farming for days. Can't please everyone.

The problem is I know I can abuse this system. Go into a dungeon, an item drops that I know someone else needs - so I bid the price up to extort cash. 

It's a great system when the community isn't full of douchebags, but let's face it, this is going to be the case. 

11 hours ago, Yamabushi said:

You may run into whales and/or trolls here or there if you're pugging it.

That doesn't make sense dude, 

If you bid a 100 g on an item then inorder to troll you he has to bid 100+g why?? he gets an item he can't use and looses his the money in the process he is pretty much trollng himself lol

I'm going to let you all in on a little secret. NCsoft is notorious (not only for being ban happy if you get mouthy with them on the forums...many of the posters should prob take that to heart) for RNG.  And not fun RNG either.  If any of you ever played Lineage II (granted I haven't played in a quite a few years so they may have finally changed that cancerous system) but the RNG in that game was not in your favor.  You even had it on the weapons and if you failed and enchant your weapon had a chance to be destroyed with that chance increasing the higher the enchant.  Their loot RNG was worse.  This system is much better.  If you don't want to be spending a large amount of in game money trying to get an item then run with your friends.  This game encourages it.  Stop whining as NCsoft really is like a genie in many ways..they will listen to you but you will learn to regret asking for it as they will implement it in the most painful way possible.

10 hours ago, MadMage said:

The problem is I know I can abuse this system. Go into a dungeon, an item drops that I know someone else needs - so I bid the price up to extort cash. 

And if the guy that wants the item stops bidding  you are stuck as the highest bidder then what??? You lose your money lol

10 hours ago, MadMage said:

It's a great system when the community isn't full of douchebags, but let's face it, this is going to be the case. 

If you do that, can happen something magical... No more bids for the item and you lose money for trolling. I don't have any problem with farming, so... trolls are welcome, my fortune is waiting ;)

You have to know to stop bidding if the price get absurdly high. Yesterday I saw a 20silver bid for a single soul shield piece (Not a purple one), people's greed is free money.

13 hours ago, Shadeswilla said:

That doesn't make sense dude, 

If you bid a 100 g on an item then inorder to troll you he has to bid 100+g why?? he gets an item he can't use and looses his the money in the process he is pretty much trollng himself lol

I never said the whales and troll were one in the same. A whale outbids you for what he wants. A troll gets you to outbid yourself. I suggest watching a few episodes of Storage Wars or the like if you want to see what I mean.

On 1/24/2016 at 5:27 PM, Shadeswilla said:

Personal loot, that's about it

Zero loot contention, don't think this is in this game though

Well, for things like blight weapons, there is personal loot AND the auction system.  You get chests personally (from the dynamic quest and the daily quest), but don't know what will be in them unless you have brilliant key; and weapons also drop directly so everyone knows which weapon they're looking at, but if there are multiples of the same class, you may have to bid against people.

On the other hand it's worse than a token system to ensure that everyone at least gets SOMETHING.

Money *is* something.  In fact, it's the exact thing you need to win the next piece of loot you want that drops.  That's the thing I really like about the auction system -- it actually is a form of bad luck protection.  That's even better than personal loot, where even if the amounts of money you get when you don't get loot aren't insultingly small (the auction system automatically scales compensation money to the actual player-determined value of the drop), they still will never add up to an actual drop.

Wait... you get money if you don't win the auction? LOL I guess I'm not very good at paying attention... suddenly I don't hate this system so much

Unless you zone into the next stage of the instance before the bids finish, yes (this is why there is a voice notification for "All auctions have ended").  The winning bid is divided among all party members that are still in the area (other than the winner).  So you are guaranteed to get either loot or money.

Archived