References to books/games/movies in B&S

RheaXen

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, TopKEK said:

I don't even need to explain this one... 

lHLvtl9.jpg

Too late, i already mentioned it =3

On 15/2/2016 at 10:49 AM, BattleKat said:

I am not in my PC so i cant show the picture right now, but one of the Semi Boss's, or Tough Mobs in the second big purple instance, the one with the fire monkey at the end, there is a Kung Fu Master with the name Ken Shiro, and he is able to 2 hit or 3 hit kill you at that lvl, if you let him touch you of course..., i dont think i have to explain the reference since is pretty obvious for those who know him =P

There ^

On 2/15/2016 at 7:58 AM, zgrssd said:

Could have sworn this was a Robocop reference, but you are right. 6 Million Dollar Man.

Also "we can rebuild it" is the actuall quest name.

Yea I thought it was Robocop up until the point I saw I think it was Robot Chicken doing a parody of it. " 6 million peso man ".

Just discovered this topic and I love it! I've seen most of these references but never thought to make a post or even comment on any of them beyond first recognition. This thread has inspired me to keep an eye out for more to add to this. I noticed some duplicates and suggest that the OP, if possible, edit the first post to show all the currently mentioned references. It's a lot of extra work so I understand if you don't want to do that. It's just a suggestion.

1 hour ago, KewaG said:

Just discovered this topic and I love it! I've seen most of these references but never thought to make a post or even comment on any of them beyond first recognition. This thread has inspired me to keep an eye out for more to add to this. I noticed some duplicates and suggest that the OP, if possible, edit the first post to show all the currently mentioned references. It's a lot of extra work so I understand if you don't want to do that. It's just a suggestion.

I'll do it this next weekend when I have some more time :P

Here are some of what i think they are :)
Act II: Chapter 1 quest name: Stranger in strange land (a book by Robert A. Heinlein with the same title)
Act II: Chapter 2 quest name: You and what army? (Shrek) A quot from Shrek when the soldiers tries to capture Shrek and donkey

Act II: Chapter 4 quest name: The cult and the lone warrior (The ghost and Lone Warrior) a book by C. J. Taylor
Act II: Chapter 5 quest name: The trail of dead (Mt. Huashan) in china "the trail of death"
Act II: Chapter 6 quest name: Desperate Priestesses (Desperate Housewives.)  An American television comedy-drama-mystery series.
Act II: Chapter 8 quest name: Agents of the stratus empire ( Starwars: Agents of the empire)
Act II: Chapter 9 quest name: Where there is smoke ( Where there's smoke there's fire.) An old proverbs.
Act II: Chapter 10 quest name: The burning fields (The burning plain) 2008 movie.
Act II: Chapter 11 quest name: Doctor's orders (Borderlands 2) Same quest name.

Act II: Chapter 12 quest name: A history of Violence (A history of Violence) 2005 movie.

Act II: Chapter 13 quest name: Into the mines (Into the woods) 2014 movie.

Act II: Chapter 14 quest name: The sand and the fury (The Fast and the furious) 2009 movie.
Act II: Chapter 15 quest name: Once upon a time in the Cinderlands (Once upon a time in china.) a Jet Li movie.

Act II: Chapter 16 quest name: The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger) A novel by Stephen King - one of my favorite :)

Act II: Chapter 17 quest name: Everything's coming up Lotuses (Everything's coming up roses) A Song from Black

Act II: Chapter 18 quest name: The Book Thief (The Book Thief) A novel by Markus Zusak.

Act II: Chapter 20 quest name: The three sages (The three stooges.)

also there's this quest called: Not all that shimmers is Gold. It's an old quote by J.R.R. Tolkien(Creator of hobbits and tLOTR) originally
“All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost. 

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,

A light from the shadows shall spring;

Renewed shall be blade that was broken,

The crownless again shall be king.”

I saw the Tolkien one and completely forgot to add it! Thank you! Also, the rest of the references are amazing. I wished that NCSoft would check out this post and confirm which ones they are real references.

However, my BF says that  Act II: Chapter 15 quest name: Once upon a time in the Cinderlands (Once upon a time in china.) a Jet Li movie is actually a reference to "Once Upon a Time in the West" which is older than that movie... but it could be a reference to all of them (The China movie is a reference to the West one)?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Thanks for your updates. I've been busy (partially because of the leveling lol) but I've got some nice references to post whenever I can :D. I laughed hard at the Wizard of Oz references though.

Other things I found, I'll post screenies whenever I have time:
 - Lord of the Rings references
- Crazy Rabbids

The Bamboo guard camp near Foshi Pyres has a quest titled: "Bamboo Guard Needs Food Badly", I do believe it's a reference to the Gauntlet arcade games.  

Yes, I am old enough to have played that game in movie theater arcades. ^_^

5 hours ago, RheaXen said:

Hey guys! Thanks for your updates. I've been busy (partially because of the leveling lol) but I've got some nice references to post whenever I can :D. I laughed hard at the Wizard of Oz references though.

Other things I found, I'll post screenies whenever I have time:
 - Lord of the Rings references
- Crazy Rabbids

If by Crazy Rabbids you mean the Whitehare mobs, literally the moment I saw them that's the first thing that came to mind. 

There was some daily in the level 13-16 area right after Jadestone village where you need to burn the mites nest in some dungeon (I guess dungeon name was necrotic lab or something like that)..That daily was called "This mite hurt"..This might hurt..hahaha..I dunno if you can call this a reference or a just a pun but its funny nevertheless..

11 hours ago, TopKEK said:

If by Crazy Rabbids you mean the Whitehare mobs, literally the moment I saw them that's the first thing that came to mind. 

Yaaaaaaarg! :P

There is also a reference to European history. They actually mixed the "Iron Mask" with "Lord of the Rings".  So the emperor is called the man with the iron mask, right? I quote: 

" According to Voltaire, the man in the iron mask was the older, illegitimate brother of Louis XIV (via Cardinal Mazarin and Anne of Austria), while according to Dumas, the mysterious prisoner was none other thanLouis XIV's twin, who was minutes older and thus the legitimate king of France. "

Which means that Yumna Kahn's iron mask is a reference to this and his "return to the throne" and many side quests are references to Tolkien. Not to mention that he really looks like Aragorn when he was called Strider...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised no one mentioned the 4 Potdogs that meant to deceive us in the same place we have to beat fake Yunsang ( I forgot the place and name of the quest)

Those potdogs named:

-Plu Tao (Pluto)

-Snu Pi (Snoopy)

-Pe budi(?) (Peabody and Sherman)

-Gu Fee (Goofy)

Archived