Forums

WoW Vs. BnS

Precipice

Comparing apples to potatoes is, while amusing, ultimately a waste of time.

WoW was absolutely groundbreaking for its time.  BnS doesn't really do anything groundbreaking, but it does a lot of things really well.  That said, they're completely different styles of MMO, so there's really no point in comparing them.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Spratchet said:

Name 1 thing it does that can't be found elsewhere. And no it wasn't the source of alot of those systems that you'll no doubt mention.

What it does do, isn't exactly plain as day.  It's more that the things it does do, are often streamlined, smoother, and easier to get into.  However alot is still up for debate, some may like some don't.   I for one just got tired of the same old stuff, howeverything had gotten easier to do, there's less enjoyment doing "hard" quests everyone's done.  Some are only hard if you solo them, get a group, okay, easy!  I miss the class quests, like... trying to find the necklace peice for the Sea travel form for druids, when it was all the way out in the Fatigue zone.  I died alot, then they made it easy, then they just gave it to you... meh.

5 minutes ago, ValiantCorvus said:

WoW was absolutely groundbreaking for its time.  BnS doesn't really do anything groundbreaking, but it does a lot of things really well.  That said, they're completely different styles of MMO, so there's really no point in comparing them.

how was it groundbreaking for its time or any other time?

2 minutes ago, Dawnwing said:

i think all MMORPG are dead, except Aion and Tera... but less populated than before. 
i played wow a long time ago, i liked it... but as soon as i discovered Aion i stoped playing wow.. (now i'm stopping Aion for BnS XD)
WoW was a good game but not now :/ 

Then you have obviously never heard of Guild Wars 2 and FInal Fantasy XIV. That or you only play Korean MMO's.

1 minute ago, ValiantCorvus said:

Comparing apples to potatoes is, while amusing, ultimately a waste of time.

It would have been groundbreaking had it come out closer to its debut in 2009.  I never heard of TERA before BnS, but it took its sweet time getting to the states, in favor of Wildstar.  I was excited for what I deemed the age of action MMOs.

So City of Heroes released 3 months before World of Warcraft, I took one look at WoW and went "nope".

Played City of Heroes until it was shut down (/torch) but every so often I'd get bored and try something new, tried wow.

I have vanilla and all the expansions up to mist. WoW couldn't hold my interest past a month to two months at a time.

Sadly I have yet to find a game that holds my interest like CoH did, Matrix Online did but..SONY...*Growl*

Hoping BnS holds it until march (building a new pc in a few weeks, already pre ordered The Division and Need for Speed)

but honestly with how much faction chat seems to be Barrens Chat on morphine, steroids and alcohol..I doubt it.

Just now, Darkvulpine said:

It would have been groundbreaking had it come out closer to its debut in 2009.  I never heard of TERA before BnS, but it took its sweet time getting to the states, in favor of Wildstar.  I was excited for what I deemed the age of action MMOs.

MMO's in general are just not as popular as they used to be, honestly.  Developers are having a hard time adding in the "new" while still keeping in what made the "old" good.

'Cause face it, there's really no way around it.  BnS's questing system SUCKS.  It's generic and boring, it's the combat and pvp that have me coming back.  That being said, it's not like the combat is exactly fresh for me, being a 2 year veteran of Tera (Whose questing system also sucks)

I personally believe Guild Wars 2 to be rather groundbreaking.  Tearing down the concepts with loot and rewards.  Tearing down the requirement of a Holy Trinity.  Sure some MMOs have done it, but I feel GW2 was the first that really set how I feel loot should be handled!  Doesn't matter if you're in a party or not, if you contribute to ANY mob, all players involved get credit, either it for Quest completion and/or loot and XP.  It's not as broken as developers thought to do so, and GW2 proved that.

Why do people feel the need to bring up WoW with every mmo? Simple answer is not one mmo out there has been or probably with never be as successful as WoW. Those who say it is boring, I will say you must not like tons of content. For a game that everyone seems to think sucks so much why not go see what they take in every month over at blizzard just from WoW. How about be a true gamer and realize how wonderful WoW really is when its still getting compared to new mmo's. That should tell you something. As far as this game goes? Combat is more fun and that is where it ends. WoW tears this apart in every other aspect especially open world. This instanced crap is garbage like most F2P games. Get over it. WoW is still the mmo to beat 10 years later. Deal with it

20 minutes ago, Despondency said:

RuneScape/Initial release date:  January 4, 2001

World of Warcraft/Initial release date: November 23, 2004

Clearly RuneScape is the king of MMORPG's.

Neverwinter Nights - 1991 is credited with being the first actual MMORPG. ((MUDS are not considered MMO's so I didn't bother to mention them.)

1 hour ago, Precipice said:

I've been on WoW for about 10.5 years now and I've seen the highs and lows of the game. Watched as the buffed classes that were OP and already buffed and nerfed classes that needed buff. I don't quite know their logic on that, but it's dumb. Anyway, I saw an ad on Facebook about how this game released on January 19th and decided to give it a try, I mean what did I have to lose I was already letting my WoW time expire because the is ZERO to do in WoD. And to be honest this game is a nice breath of fresh air. The play style is way more complex and the classes all seem to be balanced (apart from Destroyers being spin2win and Summoners just running whole time while their pet and spells beat you to death lol)

Who else came here from WoW and what do you think of this game compared to current WoW?

What is "WoW" exactly?

1 minute ago, ValiantCorvus said:

MMO's in general are just not as popular as they used to be, honestly.  Developers are having a hard time adding in the "new" while still keeping in what made the "old" good.

'Cause face it, there's really no way around it.  BnS's questing system SUCKS.  It's generic and boring, it's the combat and pvp that have me coming back.  That being said, it's not like the combat is exactly fresh for me, being a 2 year veteran of Tera (Whose questing system also sucks)

I love openworld environments, I love exploring.  Granted I wish there weren't so many invisible walls blocking my path...  But yes, the questing system sucks, especially in crowded areas, it's simply not fun having to compete with other players to kill your 20 mobs, or that one single mob, having to wait for respawn because someone else tagged it before you and people don't like to form a line and wait their turn.  *points to own GW2 speech a few posts up*

But Yes, the combat, this is what I love the most!  GW2 doesn't even compete in that regard!

2 minutes ago, Sbfuse said:

Why do people feel the need to bring up WoW with every mmo? Simple answer is not one mmo out there has been or probably with never be as successful as WoW. Those who say it is boring, I will say you must not like tons of content. For a game that everyone seems to think sucks so much why not go see what they take in every month over at blizzard just from WoW. How about be a true gamer and realize how wonderful WoW really is when its still getting compared to new mmo's. That should tell you something. As far as this game goes? Combat is more fun and that is where it ends. WoW tears this apart in every other aspect especially open world. This instanced crap is garbage like most F2P games. Get over it. WoW is still the mmo to beat 10 years later. Deal with it

"Opinions"

2 minutes ago, Spratchet said:

Then you have obviously never heard of Guild Wars 2 and FInal Fantasy XIV. That or you only play Korean MMO's.

i never tried GW2, but i've some friends who were playing GW2 and they joined me on BnS, and i think they prefer BnS...
For FF XIV, well xD it's the best RPG of all time 

9 minutes ago, Dawnwing said:

i never tried GW2, but i've some friends who were playing GW2 and they joined me on BnS, and i think they prefer BnS...
For FF XIV, well xD it's the best RPG of all time 

The main thing that drove me from FFXIV, was the lack of customization, same thing for TERA.  Sure FF you could pick SOME skills from other classes you've leveled, but the skills you got were either mandatory or useless, leaving only MAYBE 1 or 2 options.
Tera had Glyphs you can put on skills, that slightly augmented them, but hardly actually changed how your character plays.
BnS however, the skill system can fully change how skills work, and gives TONS of options to work with, completly changing gameplay for a single class!

But yes, While I give GW2 much praise, in the end I felt bored... what I looked forward to in WvW, wasn't there, as it all turned into a huge zerg run, that just... wasn't fun.  Loot was dull because it felt like there was nothing truely to work for, cept the 1/1million chance you'll get that precursor...  It had alot of good elements, but alot of boring ones.  No MMO is perfect.

3 minutes ago, Darkvulpine said:

The main thing that drove me from FFXIV, was the lack of customization, same thing for TERA.  Sure FF you could pick SOME skills from other classes you've leveled, but the skills you got were either mandatory or useless, leaving only MAYBE 1 or 2 options.
Tera had Glyphs you can put on skills, that slightly augmented them, but hardly actually changed how your character plays.
BnS however, the skill system can fully change how skills work, and gives TONS of options to work with, completly changing gameplay for a single class!

But yes, While I give GW2 much praise, in the end I felt bored... what I looked forward to in WvW, wasn't there, as it all turned into a huge zerg run, that just... wasn't fun.  Loot was dull because it felt like there was nothing truely to work for, cept the 1/1million change you'll get that precursor...  It had alot of good elements, but alot of boring ones.  No MMO is perfect.

Never tried FF (Sad truth, sad life... i know) but i heard a lot about it.

As you say no MMO is perfect, sure..(the proof: waiting liste in Blade and soul xD) but there are some MMO better than others

1 hour ago, NumberZero said:

Haven't played WoW since WOTLK... game is so boring. This is better in every way.

I quit playing before they finished rolling out WOTLK.  Tried again with Cataclysm and again with WoD.  The game is just not edgy enough and missing something that would remotely hold my interest.  I'm not saying that BnS will keep me interested but the main thing I grew tired of with WoW is the combat.

5 minutes ago, Arathos said:

just because I'm in the queue for 30 minutes doesn't mean u go ahead and start stupid topics

like wtf is wow...why is this topic even exists somebody lock it already

Seems like this thread has spawned some -mostly- reasonable debates.

Ha I remember when WoW released we all bashed it because it could never compare to Everquest! But we all tried it and my entire guild left Everquest for WoW, it definitely was cutting edge at a time when the options were limited and Blizzard has enjoyed the success of being the first to take advantage of marketing a online game based off of their already successful Warcraft franchise. It spanned generations, and will continue to do so. 

That being said, after 10+ years I am ready for the next big thing but so far I've played almost every mmo and always end up back in Azeroth at some point. They just offer more to every type of player than anyone else. I still enjoy playing different games though.

Archived