Loot System

NoBaLaNcE

I find the loot system ridiculous, why do you have to struggle to kill a boss then give away half of your savings for some item you need. Apart from that you also need to go to the AH and check the prices of the drops in the dungeon that you are looking to get into because you might get conned by other players that know the value better and pay for something more than it costs in the AH. All this hassle... Please share your thoughts.

I personally believe its balanced, learning the market is a requisite for all mmorpgs. There are players who have spend tons of time planning ahead on what to merch and etc, its simply investments. The result from the bidding is equally distributed to all players as well, so I don't see the problem there. 

As far as I'm concerned it's a great system. I currently run a 45 LBD, I just ended up spending 11g on the moonwater trans item because I got tired of grinding it out. Now, I need money to upgrade the darn thing, you know what I do once my big payout dailies are done? I go pop into a lowbie dungeon with a cosmetic item and help lower levels get their dungeon runs done faster. You know why? Because even if the 'items' aren't good for me anymore, letting the other 5 people have bid wars over items I couldn't care less about, at the end of the run nets me a nice bit of cash for helping.

I love the system, it gives capped players a reason to help lower people or help speed run clan members through multiple runs for an item they might need. I actually wish more MMOs used this system because, think back to any other MMO you played, once you had your items, or had a higher tier dungeon to run... How often did you look forward to ever running lowbie content ever again? Never right? The bid system and distribution of wealth gives everyone else an equal portion, so even if you get outbid one run... Well now you have X more gold/silver/copper for the next time it drops to outbid that group. Or, like has happened to me as well, you might get into a bid war, end up paying 10 silver for an item one run, just to see it again the next run and go to that random looter who hit y for 2 copper. Is it a bummer, sure... It's all a game of chance but unless your time is worth hundreds of dollars an hour, all you lose out at the end of a bid war is time spent trying again, or farming up the money by questing or helping others again.

At first I didn't really like the loot system all that much, but after awhile I just realized that there are very few items that are actually worth bidding on in this game. 

• First and foremost you should figure out what most of the items are used for. If it's not useful then it probably has no intrinsic value so its not worth bidding on in the first place. Other items are worth every last penny you can spare to obtain it (looking at you Merry Potter Secret Recipe). So learn what they are used for because usefulness adds value to an item.
  • F5 or go to a Dragon Trader to figure out the value of items on your server (e.g. Moonwater Tears, Recipes, Evolution mats) and set a limit for yourself when bidding for these items. If you want to profit from them set that limit lower, if you just want the item then consider that price the maximum when running a dungeon else you are effectively wasting silver
  • This next point is just personal preference, but when buying bopae/soul shields/pizza slices, I set myself at a limit of 20-30s (this is at endgame for Purple Soul shields. Early game ones like Tomb and Narrows aren't entirely necessary, but can make life easier. I just elected to use valor stone shields). If I go any higher than this its for 2 reasons. 1) I REALLY want that piece and 2) To drive up the price to make someone pay more so I get more silver out of it in the end. It's a pretty scummy move, but you can certainly make more money of people who put more value into items than others.

If you follow some guidelines the system isn't really all that bad at all. I personally like the ability to "define my own RNG". Most times in MMOs you are grinding till it drops, but for people who think ahead and amass gold, they can eliminate most of the grind by just throwing their money around. Sure it's not the best system in the world, but grinding forever to get something to drop also doesn't feel great either so I think its a nice middle ground. 

I like the system to some point, but its frustrating at times especially if you're with people you don't know. I literally went into a dungeon the other day as being the only Blade Dancer looking for a Lynblade I needed. Then comes the point we get to the boss drop, and boom what do you know.. It dropped for me, but at the same time another player decides to jack the price up for something he doesn't ultimately "need" other then it being able to be infused. I had to spend my whole savings just to get it because I was tired of farming for it. Everyone in the group was absolutely dumbfounded at what he did also. Simply saying, if someone doesn't like you they can screw you over. Would be nice to have choice to of a drop system when creating party, Ex. Round Robin, Bid System, or such.

You've got it all wrong.  Winning bids are split among the party, so if rich players pay out a lot for items you get a cut, and then you will have enough money to buy stuff as well.  it's a great 0 sum system.

At first I also thought the system was the dumbest thing I had ever heard of.  Now however I think it is actually a great loot system that I hope catches on.

You will always get SOMETHING on every dungeon run.  Sometimes it is an item you want and when your item does not drop you get money, all members get about the same value from a dungeon run.  Say you are trying to farm a material you desperately need, you will get it after 5 runs GUARANTEED!   Why, because you are going to earn 1/5th of the market value of the item every run until you can afford it, either on the AH or in the dungeon.  You also have the chance to get it at a discount and it makes dungeon rewards scale with inflation!

I found that running Blackram Narrows was quite a pain in the butt. I'd never win anything because people would bet up to 5 silver on some items I needed. That's literally the amount of currency I had at that point. I ended up giving up on dungeon drops until I could solo them (only 4-5 levels later, which isn't that bad).

This loot system is crap. I'd rather rely on a 1-100 roll than on my wallet, which is very limited compared to all these richards I get grouped with in dungeons for some reason (why does everyone have so much currency to spend on level 20 stuff?).

6 minutes ago, Jixua said:

You've got it all wrong.  Winning bids are split among the party, so if rich players pay out a lot for items you get a cut, and then you will have enough money to buy stuff as well.  it's a great 0 sum system.

I still think it's poorly designed. People will keep outbidding by 1 nonstop for hours until you end up giving up. That's just a bad system in my book.

1 hour ago, Kelarme said:

I still think it's poorly designed. People will keep outbidding by 1 nonstop for hours until you end up giving up. That's just a bad system in my book.

You can type in a bid to skip all that, if you want.  Although mashing Y is actually not *that* slow if multiple people are doing it.

I do wish that items had more reasonable cash values though, and those doubled as a starting bid other than 1c.  Yesterday I did Blackram Narrows on my destroyer and a lynblade dropped with no BDs in the party, everyone passed and we split.... 1 copper.  If it had a cash value of 1s, not only would everyone get something a little less insulting in case of everyone passing, but bids would start at 1s and not take so long if there are multiple bidders.  I doubt many people would object to paying 1s for a breakthrough weapon :D  Things like the soul shields and necklaces could start at 10c and cut off a few rounds of Y spam.

I suppose I could have bid to use it for weapon exp, but (like most people by the time they reach BRN, I bet) I already had a vault half full of blue and green weapons I couldn't use until I got breakthrough, so it didn't really seem worth it.  Although I guess if nobody else bids and you can actually get it for 1c, then it might be - maybe I'll test that idea when the servers come back up.

I make money running dungeons with pugs. It makes pugging worth it to me. I pass on the loot and let the bid wars supply me with cash. What is there not to like? If the bidding system did not exist and it was need/greed I would only run premades. Just saying.

Archived