YO DEVS- anti-gold seller suggestion

Malbolzcha

please lock region chat till lvl 5 or make it that u cant use region chat from the starting island. all they do is make a lvl 1 char then spam region chat. u cant get past like lvl 3 there. make the bastards work to assault my chatbox. atleast then u could see them in bamboo village to use the dumbass report function. why cant we report from the chatbox? u cant even talk in chat. theres like 30 just spamming like crazy. when my char runs the text in the chat moves as fast as i do. insane

They are not always level 1, I ran into a group of like 8 destroyers all made exactly the same standing in the same spot. All had names with random letters and were spamming gold selling site and they were all level like 17. 

Or ban words and workarounds.  

W*W*W*

W*W*W

W-W-W-

W-W-W

\/\/ \/\/ \/\/

You get the idea - might take a bit of time to think of them all but I'm sure some dedication and you could get them all figured out. 

Could also require new players to verify their email address and link it with something. 

6 minutes ago, Shoga said:

Or ban words and workarounds.  

W*W*W*

W*W*W

W-W-W-

W-W-W

\/\/ \/\/ \/\/

You get the idea - might take a bit of time to think of them all but I'm sure some dedication and you could get them all figured out. 

Could also require new players to verify their email address and link it with something. 

The thing is that they DO require them to verify their e-mail. That obviously hasn't solved anything.

Implementing a level restriction won't matter, they will just level past it. Meanwhile new legitimate players will be blocked from chat which is unacceptable. Banning words is a losing battle. I have seen this attempted in other games and they always find a way around it, meanwhile legitimate players get chat restricted in what they can say to other people.

The real solution is to either hire paid or volunteer in-game GMs that have mute/kick/ban powers to instantly snipe the RMT. I have submitted a ticket regard this, even offering my services, as I have been an admin on ZAM for over 5 years. Apparently, they "have it under control" based on the response I received.

1 hour ago, Yxion said:

Implementing a level restriction won't matter, they will just level past it. Meanwhile new legitimate players will be blocked from chat which is unacceptable.

um...it doesnt even take 5min to get to lvl 5. the point is to make them lvl past the starter tutorial instance and into the game world where they can be reported. honestly the best option would be to allow player report by clicking their name in the chatbox

2 minutes ago, Malbolzcha said:

um...it doesnt even take 5min to get to lvl 5. the point is to make them lvl past the starter tutorial instance and into the game world where they can be reported. honestly the best option would be to allow player report by clicking their name in the chatbox

I see what your saying. It's a similar issue with the cross-server dungeon lobby. I agree, we should be able to report them by right clicking even in the tutorial and cross-server dungeon lobby.

So i was thinking about this...

Might suck for us players but it will make the botters give up.

Dungeon PIN codes. 

Zone into the dungeon (or any instance) and the PIN pad pops up, when it does it says please input this number "random number" you can only do it with yer mouse just like we do when we sign in to the game.

Yes this is a PITA to the regular players, but it will complete block the botters, and the botters are the real cancer in the game, gold selling spam suck but the botters are what really ruin a game and its economy.

4 minutes ago, Malbolzcha said:

This. I wish so bad that I could right click their names and report them for botting. On Mabinogi you can purchase a water balloon from an NPC shop and throw it at somebody you suspect is botting. The water balloon can only be thrown at somebody who has been inactive for 30 minutes or so, so it can't be used to harass normal players. Once the water balloon strikes the character, they are prompted. If they ignore the prompt, they are kicked from the server and reported. Possibly banned if they are proven to have been a bot.

2 minutes ago, Jessimer said:

This. I wish so bad that I could right click their names and report them for botting. On Mabinogi you can purchase a water balloon from an NPC shop and throw it at somebody you suspect is botting. The water balloon can only be thrown at somebody who has been inactive for 30 minutes or so, so it can't be used to harass normal players. Once the water balloon strikes the character, they are prompted. If they ignore the prompt, they are kicked from the server and reported. Possibly banned if they are proven to have been a bot.

I loved that about Mabinogi.

9 minutes ago, Malbolzcha said:

Yes well since NCsoft is arbitrary and wont let you report until level 15....  seems pointless, plus it will just push all the gold sellers into more faction chat spamming.

1) Limit to ~100 region/faction message an hour.
2) Required lvl 5 to use those region chat function.
3) most importantly... hire 1 person to do only 1 job specifically; be in game to hunt and ban the spammers . They will will give up eventually knowing their time or even botting is not worth it. 

1 minute ago, APL said:

3) most importantly... hire 1 person to do only 1 job specifically; be in game to hunt and ban the spammers . They will will give up eventually knowing their time or even botting is not worth it. 

Would need one for each server.

on top of that, they arent just spamming regions, they are blowing up faction chat too, which is incredibly annoying because you cant see any actual conversation... so then you would need 1 person in each faction chat watching it too, its a hassle this is what happens in all free to play games.... it would be nice if they would just go do something worthwhile with their lives... make bots and spam players... sounds rewarding doesnt it

2 minutes ago, Dradiinmmo said:

Would need one for each server.

That employee can have account in all servers... or just make so the GM can jump server. That employee doesn't have to be in the same server all day... just randomly spend 20min-1hr in each. 
I seriously think doing so can save the game. Censoring words, having requirements,  or just limiting is not enough. There will always be a workaround whatever programs is set up. They can beat the programs, but they can't beat a persistent person.

Just focus on the spammers. Spammers should be a priority to botting. Whats the point of them botting if they can't sell/advertise their product.

21 minutes ago, Dradiinmmo said:

So i was thinking about this...

Might suck for us players but it will make the botters give up.

Dungeon PIN codes. 

Zone into the dungeon (or any instance) and the PIN pad pops up, when it does it says please input this number "random number" you can only do it with yer mouse just like we do when we sign in to the game.

Yes this is a PITA to the regular players, but it will complete block the botters, and the botters are the real cancer in the game, gold selling spam suck but the botters are what really ruin a game and its economy.

It doesn't change botting issues that are in the open world, and that in itself is also a problem. 

No, blocking chat with level restrictions won't matter, levelling here is quick and they could use hacked accounts to spam. Does little to nothing.

The only way to properly block botting is to as aforementioned by others, hire someone to actively seek out botters and ban them. Best way of ban is via mac ID, crippling their PCs from the game permanently. If one keeps this up enough, it will minimize the damage they can do to the economy. By which I'm looking at the situation at end, it won't take long for them to cripple the economy, especially when they start farming end game regions.

2 minutes ago, Enubis said:

It doesn't change botting issues that are in the open world, and that in itself is also a problem. 

No, blocking chat with level restrictions won't matter, levelling here is quick and they could use hacked accounts to spam. Does little to nothing.

The only way to properly block botting is to as aforementioned by others, hire someone to actively seek out botters and ban them. Best way of ban is via mac ID, crippling their PCs from the game permanently. If one keeps this up enough, it will minimize the damage they can do to the economy. By which I'm looking at the situation at end, it won't take long for them to cripple the economy, especially when they start farming end game regions.

In this game it does stop the open workd botters, if they make it so they cant progress....  PIN pad at dungeons and transitions.... well bots will be stuck.

PIN won't stop botting. I gaurantee it.... I used to bot for Maple Story. PIN didn't do nothing lol (Don't worry, I won't be botting for this game. I'm playing for the PvP)

That being said. Tracking down botters is way more time consuming, since you actually have to go around in the big open world or backlogging the thousands of reports. Whereas, you go in.. see spammer or just people advertising obvious websites. Ban.

Would you want to make new acc DAILY, verify acc, bot for hour or two to get to the requirement lvl or whatever to spam. Just to be banned in an hour or so?

Botters can be tolerated to certain extent. Spammers are way more obvious and it's whats annoying EVERYBODY.
People and new players will notice spammers, think the game is overrun by bots and turn away/quit. 

1 hour ago, Despondency said:

Alt + Right click their name to report them from the chatbox.

1st ive heard of this. i know r-click brings up a menu but theres no report option. id try it if the servers were up

EDIT-

found out from another thread that the report function is lvl locked (i was on a fresh alt when i was trying to report). u have to be lvl 15 to report some1. what kind of bullshit is this?

Archived