SO LETS TALK DODGE MECHANICS :)

Tjaranis

So lets talk Dodge mechanics :)

Since it is a thing that annoyes me to no end in this game ^^

I am playing as an FM, for dodge mechanics B&S choose to use skills instead of an actual dodge mechanics, this also means that some dodges you can’t hotkey, and other you can.

As an FM: I got

Backflip,

dash right,

dash left,

blaze step, and

frost step.

That’s 5 extra hotkeys (actually only 2 because the 3 first as mentioned cannot be hotkeyd, so they are very annoying to use, imo (I am gaming with an orbweaver for optimizing input, double tapping keys is an ineffective way of using hotkeys so it is not optimized for this)).

So 2 extra hotkeys, 3 hardcoded “hotkeys”, to use.

It is pre-set directional, so each skill only has 1 direction it can dodge in.

And it is ofc extra CD’s to keep track of.

Now it shouldn’t be a discussion why this is not an optimal way to make a Dodge system in a game, having the need to use 5 different hotkeys depending on what direction you want to dodge, is just silly.

1 key click should be what did it.

So what would I like to see. Well preferably an actual Dodge system introduced, remove at least the Backflip, dash right, dash left, and introduce a Dodge where you can dodge in any direction by KeyPress+direction. these 3 exist on all characters and would be the obvious choose to remove when making and actual decent dodge system in the game.

make it so when you KeyPress while already moving in a direction it will start the dodge in that direction; reference for this to any action mmo out there or just mmo with a dodge system, I don’t recall any that doesn’t do like this which was made the last 10-15 years)

That is actually all :)

If you want it to be 3 dodge’s as resources, do like GW2 where dodges gets resources and stacks up to x amount over time.

It is quite simple to change this system and I really do think it would give a much better feeling in the gameplay.

its so much easier with an assassin. Backflip away then at the last moment hit Tab or 1 or 3 or x or c and fly back at the enemy in time to get crushed. Then continue to not use your get up and fight moves and just stare at your dumb body laying on the ground while you consider maybe playing a summoner instead.

I used to play Gw2 a lot and i dodge with V there was pretty good and normal for me . 
Now when i have to press S two times to dodge it's a bit unpractical and then E or Q . 
But I think after some time i will just get used to dodge with double S ,Q and E . 
Practice makes the master .

10 minutes ago, BestWaifu said:

I'm too lazy to have to map my logitech to this game so I just stick with keyboard and mouse.

But controller does feel more natural in general.

I guess I just lucked out because you don't have to map the 360 controller, everything is set pre-determined.... Only issue I have with it is since there are so many skills and a set amount of buttons, you need to use LB or RB along with other buttons to do some moves, heck, the F button on the keyboard is RB+RT on the controller

2 minutes ago, DanteRage said:

I guess I just lucked out because you don't have to map the 360 controller, everything is set pre-determined.... Only issue I have with it is since there are so many skills and a set amount of buttons, you need to use LB or RB along with other buttons to do some moves, heck, the F button on the keyboard is RB+RT on the controller

Yeah thats the problem with some mmos, so many skills have your fingers playing twister on your controller lol

A friend ended up macroing the S dodge on her mouse because of how uncomfortable it is to use. I think I'll end up trying that too. Double tapping S is just really unresponsive, and I can't get it to actually work until the 3rd or 4th time I spam the damn key. Which makes the point of a dodge useless, since by then I've been whipped over the head by whatever I was trying to avoid. Q and E dodges work fine, and I'm getting used to those, but the SS/AA/DD dodges are a really stupid setup.

I like having to actively dodge. I like having dodges. I don't mind having more than one. But not being able to hotkey them instead of doubletapping ASD is a dealbreaker for me. It feels ridiculous, and the keys aren't at all sensitive to it so there's a noticeable delay.

I dislike having to press S twice to jump back, I'm aussie so I have like 250ms of ping and I really need to spam S like a good 5 times in order to jump back and by then I've already been hit. I should be able to make it something like Shift+S but I can't find a way to remap the keybind for backstep, so this ability is nearly useless for me.

Archived