Biggest fail ever at start new game.

DxMxD

READ THIS with the title your going to be thinking I'm flaming the game, but I'm not. The game is amazing! I played it last night and could possibly be having more fun.

This thread is about my shortsightedness and how I single handedly locked myself out of my own account. Cry with me. Feel my pain, and laugh. Laugh at my despair!

So yesterday I quickly downloaded the game, made my account, logged in. I got to that point without a hitch.

Then I got to the stupid account protection pin. It's standard in MMO's now and really not stupid but I absolutely hate things like that. I have huge strings of passwords I have to remember for work that I can't reuse at all for a game and I don't have time to put the effort into second layer security pin for a game. If I get hacked and loose everything so be it. I usually make them as painfully simple as possible.

Well this time I figured I'd make my pin top middle x2, middle middle x2, bottom middle x2 and that was my 6 number pin! I wouldn't need to really remember any numbers, just the sequence

Then I played the game for 5 hours yesterday, made my character, waited in queue, had TONS of fun, it was great.

Now today I can't log in. Did you notice how I messed up? The numbers on the login pin CHANGE POSITION so you can't use a simple sequence and MUST remember a pin.

Now I'm locked out of my account, and I'm sure it'll take forever to fix since the whole point of those pins is to keep you from gaining unauthorized access.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. See you all in a week I suppose.

OH Great. Just looked into how to change it.

So apparently you need your BIRTHDAY (Of all the freaking things to require!) to change a pin without contacting support.

Guess who made up a random birthday? Yep Me. I'm a grown man, who has time to put in their correct birthday? Not like NC Soft is going to give me free stuff on it.

Please pray for me while your all laughing your butts off and pray that my Customer Service queue be quick.

Oof that sucks :c Hopefully that can be solved with some identity verification, otherwise, maybe it's early enough for you to start another account and skip the hassle. Only thing is if you have membership or ncoins, then making a new account isn't really an option...

I never understood these checks. They are made to make the player feel safe, but as a programmer I can tell you this pin security can be easily scripted past if someone really wanted to. It ultimately just makes it longer and harder for a user to get in-game. Don't know why they specifically want you to use a 6 digit code either. 5 or 7 digits would be a lot easier to remember.

6 minutes ago, Cupofcinno said:

Well... If you want a sophisticated PIN why don't you just take note of it on your computer?

I didn't want a sophisticated pin at all, just an easy one to remember.

Little did I know that the keypad would scramble for even MOAR security, it looked at first glance as a simple 1-9 keypad and I chose my password assuming as such.

Ticket in, now the wait.

I'm sorry - I did have a chuckle at this thread... because I've done exactly that same stuff in the past. :)

Customer service will be able to help - you're not the only one to have done this. The wait isn't that long (but it's certainly not short at the moment, either). They've been adding staff to help as well. 

3 minutes ago, DrRob said:

I never understood these checks. They are made to make the player feel safe, but as a programmer I can tell you this pin security can be easily scripted past if someone really wanted to. It ultimately just makes it longer and harder for a user to get in-game. Don't know why they specifically want you to use a 6 digit code either. 5 or 7 digits would be a lot easier to remember.

Enlighten me, as a fellow programmer, into how they can script past this? Genuinely curious. The numbers change positions, and I believe you are forced to use mouse, so unless they hacked BnS to bypass this security dialog all-together, I'm not sure how this is an easy hack (excuse my lack of knowledge, but my assumption is they put this in for a good reason).

Also, 6 digits isn't bad, write it down if you can't remember. And this doesn't really take much time away, like 5-10 seconds... 

2 minutes ago, ryrich said:

Enlighten me, as a fellow programmer, into how they can script past this? Genuinely curious. The numbers change positions, and I believe you are forced to use mouse, so unless they hacked BnS to bypass this security dialog all-together, I'm not sure how this is an easy hack (excuse my lack of knowledge, but my assumption is they put this in for a good reason).

Also, 6 digits isn't bad, write it down if you can't remember. And this doesn't really take much time away, like 5-10 seconds... 

Image capture check + position of x-y coordinates.

15 minutes ago, DxMxD said:

So apparently you need your BIRTHDAY (Of all the freaking things to require!) to change a pin without contacting support.

Guess who made up a random birthday? Yep Me. I'm a grown man, who has time to put in their correct birthday?

I find it hilariously unfortunate that you did this. I always put in accurate information for situations just like this for easy account retrieval. Consider this a lesson for the future! :)

Honestly you should have expected it i mean when i made my account i had to confirm that I AM THE SAME PERSON I WAS WHEN I MADE THE ACCOUNT 10 TIMES IN A ROW!

not that i made the account 10 times it made me reconfirm that i am me 10 times XD

4 minutes ago, ryrich said:

Failing to see how this can benefit someone in compromising your account....

Well you wanted to know how to do. If you fail to see the point than that's proof there's no point to the pin system.

Well, in my case, I forgot my pin too, but I use my ID to resolve it. They change my birthdate to the correct one, and reset my pin so i can input it again. Pretty simple, it've tooks them 2 hours to read my ticket and reply.

2 hours ago, DxMxD said:

READ THIS with the title your going to be thinking I'm flaming the game, but I'm not. The game is amazing! I played it last night and could possibly be having more fun.

This thread is about my shortsightedness and how I single handedly locked myself out of my own account. Cry with me. Feel my pain, and laugh. Laugh at my despair!

So yesterday I quickly downloaded the game, made my account, logged in. I got to that point without a hitch.

Then I got to the stupid account protection pin. It's standard in MMO's now and really not stupid but I absolutely hate things like that. I have huge strings of passwords I have to remember for work that I can't reuse at all for a game and I don't have time to put the effort into second layer security pin for a game. If I get hacked and loose everything so be it. I usually make them as painfully simple as possible.

Well this time I figured I'd make my pin top middle x2, middle middle x2, bottom middle x2 and that was my 6 number pin! I wouldn't need to really remember any numbers, just the sequence

Then I played the game for 5 hours yesterday, made my character, waited in queue, had TONS of fun, it was great.

Now today I can't log in. Did you notice how I messed up? The numbers on the login pin CHANGE POSITION so you can't use a simple sequence and MUST remember a pin.

Now I'm locked out of my account, and I'm sure it'll take forever to fix since the whole point of those pins is to keep you from gaining unauthorized access.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. See you all in a week I suppose.

1 hour ago, DxMxD said:

OH Great. Just looked into how to change it.

Guess who made up a random birthday? Yep Me. I'm a grown man, who has time to put in their correct birthday? Not like NC Soft is going to give me free stuff on it.

Please pray for me while your all laughing your butts off and pray that my Customer Service queue be quick.

DUDE. I  did the same thing!

;_;

I literally just sent NCsoft an email

They actually sent me a message within an hour and fixed it. Actually great customer service too!

I would've posted this sooner but I assumed it would take all day and didn't even bother to check. Very very nice :)

10 hours ago, Cupofcinno said:

Well... If you want a sophisticated PIN why don't you just take note of it on your computer?

this.  If you don't care about the passwords/protection you're using on unimportant logins, there's no reason not to just record it somewhere.

Archived