Extremely offensive chat.

Doddger

I find people who complain all the time to be toxic so since I believe that should someone ban constant complainers from chat also ? What you find toxic is probably different from what I find toxic. The only real answer that fixes this for everyone is just to have no chat then nobody can ever possibly be offended. Is that what you want? Fixes everything that anyone could ever have a problem with.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Choad said:

Ignore and move on. It's way easier than being offended by everything you don't agree with. Freedom of speech is there for a reason. If someone can rant about shit I don't like I should be able to do the same. The nice thing is we have tools in place to walk away if we don't like what we are hearing/reading. Take some ownership. I will never understand how some people think the rest of the world is expected to know their specific comfort level and hot buttons. That world will never exist so just focus on the things you can control such as your level of attention to what it is you don't like. Trying to have someone police everything for you is not the answer.

Pretty much this. You know some people genuinely don't like another race? And they live in a world where they can freely voice that opinion. As much as you disagree with it its an amazing thing to have that ability. The nations of the world would be nowhere if it wasn't for the fact that people gained a voice.

Granted I know we are talking about children being toxic for the sake of their epeen, but it follows suit.

Your freedom of speech is not protected in this environment. Instead, it is governed by the ToS you and everyone else agreed to.

Also, how is being intolerant of racism a hot button for some and not others? Are you racist? Is it okay with you? I thought most reasonable, average people abhorred racism. My bad.

+1 Choad

I sense people here just expect someone to do it for them so they can just play.

Funny thing really, I have about 30 hours in this game on Windrest and I am yet to actually look at the chat. Somehow I got more into carving enemies into pieces. The chat doesn't really stand out. And I'm yet to choose a fraction. Am I missing on the fun here?

Also do you guys ( the ones that keep ranting about this) go online to read the chat, or to play the game? Or you're more evolved than other people are and you can multitask?

@Maryelle Here where I live it's pretty normal to be racist. In my country we didn't see anything good from people of the other races. Ofc we tolerate and converse with such people just normally. But then again we think that everybody's worthless until they prove otherwise xD

I can multitask. Other's can't?

I have switched my window to combat only but sometimes I pop into the main window to see what's the haps. Funny that you're not commenting on the people who do nothing but talk in the chat window with the express purpose of hurting people. In the real world, we call those people bullies.

On 1/22/2016 at 7:59 AM, Doddger said:

As the title says the chat is extremely offensive and it should be monitored.

Some of the character names are offensive.

Is there a way to report players for abusive language/names ?

The chat consists of racial slurs, suggestions to other people of suicide and abuse.

I have even seen couple of threats in the chat.

I play on EU server Starfall Crater.

Mushin server is full of this :(

2 minutes ago, Maryelle said:

Your freedom of speech is not protected in this environment. Instead, it is governed by the ToS you and everyone else agreed to.

Also, how is being intolerant of racism a hot button for some and not others? Are you racist? Is it okay with you? I thought most reasonable, average people abhorred racism. My bad.

I don't agree with racism, but I don't cry in a corner when I hear someone say racist things because I know most the time people are just being ignorant or looking to get a rise out of people. If you don't listen to them or feed them the rise they are looking to gain they are just talking nonsense to themselves. Ignoring the stupid things people say is pretty simple and effective. Obviously this differs when people who start making criminal threats which there is a law for so feel free to enact that if you hear something that actually seems dangerous to yourself or others. Outside of that just move on with your life and let people talk to the air.

some of you actin like someone overran your wedding and shat on the aisle just from someone suggesting that chats be monitored heh. You're not all that different from each other.

I myself think don't think it's reasonable to ask GMs to monitor the chats, and get really annoyed by censors in net chats, but yikes. I forgot how damn pissy people are on mmos. Anyways, just because there is a lot of shitheadedness is not really an excuse to act like a shithead @ the people saying tough crap, deal with it, i'm strong and I have a gun and muscles, be more like me, etc. On the other side, just know that if people are acting badly, it isn't a fault of your own, so don't get too bothered by it. All larger online communities are full of annoying/rude people who yes do it mostly for attention and copycat'ing bland humor they see from edgy gaming idols.

The fact is, many of them are by reasonable terms, customers, and that is more important to a company than someone who basically is acting like the average, expected player. They won't go away until they start harassing someone directly and continuously, is what I'm saying. A lot of the reason is because people are pretty complacent about it (the whole shut-up-and-stop-whining-your-offendedness-offends-me team) but I don't think that will change. The internet is very young as a whole community and was even more of a cesspool just a few years ago, when being offensive was somehow undebatedly the cool thing to do. you prob know. just let it go away with time.

Just now, Choad said:

I don't agree with racism, but I don't cry in a corner when I hear someone say racist things because I know most the time people are just being ignorant or looking to get a rise out of people. If you don't listen to them or feed them the rise they are looking to gain they are just talking nonsense to themselves. Ignoring the stupid things people say is pretty simple and effective. Obviously this differs when people who start making criminal threats which there is a law for so feel free to enact that if you hear something that actually seems dangerous to yourself or others. Outside of that just move on with your life and let people talk to the air.

There is also a law about racism, and the ToS covers this as well as it covers general toxic behaviour or otherwise verbal abuse which falls under the harassment section.

If you can manage to ignore them, that's good for you, but don't assume that everyone else is able to do so. We're all different individuals here and we all react differently to verbal abuse and general toxic behaviour.

1 minute ago, Maryelle said:

I can multitask. Other's can't?

I have switched my window to combat only but sometimes I pop into the main window to see what's the haps. Funny that you're not commenting on the people who do nothing but talk in the chat window with the express purpose of hurting people. In the real world, we call those people bullies.

Well sorry for being too busy actually playing (also the brain can only do one thing at a time, so no you can't multitask). Maybe I'm at fault for preferring to use teamspeak and talk with buddies, instead of actively using the ingame chat, dunno. In the channels I've been to so far the most I had to actually deal with, were people that asked some technical questions or asked about the game mechanics. Mind you I play on an Windrest (EU). I can't really say anything about the chats of other EU servers or the stuff on the US platform. But in either case my logic tells me it's much easier to just hover over the name of the one who is annoying and block them. It's a two click operation. Muuuuuch easier than coming here to complain about it no?

7 minutes ago, Maryelle said:

Because being open-minded goes both ways for some. I love all people, black, white, dumb ,smart, girl, boy, blonde hair, brown eyes, even burple. I have friends and family who are not racist and some who are. I have family and friends who are homophobic and some who are not. I do not condone people for their personal beliefs, they have theirs and I have mine.

Just as I am free to not be one way, they are free to be one way. There is no overall. The only overall for this place is the Rules of Conduct which have a section for this. (The ToS only outlines selecting names. RoC is for communication)

3 minutes ago, Darumy said:

some of you actin like someone overran your wedding and shat on the aisle just from someone suggesting that chats be monitored heh. You're not all that different from each other.

I myself think don't think it's reasonable to ask GMs to monitor the chats, and get really annoyed by censors in net chats, but yikes. I forgot how damn pissy people are on mmos. Anyways, just because there is a lot of shitheadedness is not really an excuse to act like a shithead @ the people saying tough crap, deal with it, i'm strong and I have a gun and muscles, be more like me, etc. On the other side, just know that if people are acting badly, it isn't a fault of your own, so don't get too bothered by it. All larger online communities are full of annoying/rude people who yes do it mostly for attention and copycat'ing bland humor they see from edgy gaming idols.

The fact is, many of them are by reasonable terms, customers, and that is more important to a company than someone who basically is acting like the average, expected player. They won't go away until they start harassing someone directly and continuously, is what I'm saying. A lot of the reason is because people are pretty complacent about it (the whole shut-up-and-stop-whining-your-offendedness-offends-me team) but I don't think that will change. The internet is very young as a whole community and was even more of a cesspool just a few years ago, when being offensive was somehow undebatedly the cool thing to do. you prob know. just let it go away with time.

There's this thing called ToS and EULA, i suggest reading it. Lots of valuable information in there regarding harassment and code of conduct...

But sure, keep turning a blind eye and ignore the problem which is basically the same as adding to it.

I love how everybody keeps saying "I've seen far worse" etc etc.. This only means you're a desensitized human being. You will only find things bad when they meet your criteria or your experience. Not everybody is made the same, not everyone goes through the same hardships as others. You need to understand that so that you can understand the point that is trying to be made on this whole thread.

Because of how things have been is why we keep pushing the bar further and further.. Do you remember how movies use to censor almost everything? How violence was almost non-existent in TV's and video games back way back when?? Have you seen TV now? Have you played today's video games? All those bars have moved, it's okay to have 14 and 17 year olds watch people getting shot, or nudity on day time tv. 

Why do radio stations only play clean versions of songs? Why can you be fined for saying a bad word on live radio?? See? 

Give it a few years and there will be no more clean version of songs on the radio, and cursing will be normal on live TV and radio. Because people keep pushing the bar, "Oh you don't have to watch it. You don't have to listen to it." Just let it happen because 5 -10 years down the road you will regret it. Now look at society. Look at all those social experiments people do on you tube and what not, trying to see how the world reacts to cruel and bad behavior, do you notice how these things come to be because somebody is thinking.. shit... is the world really as fked up as you claim?

Just now, Rubberbandit said:

Because being open-minded goes both ways for some. I love all people, black, white, dumb ,smart, girl, boy, blonde hair, brown eyes, even burple. I have friends and family who are not racist and some who are. I have family and friends who are homophobic and some who are not. I do not condone people for their personal beliefs, they have theirs and I have mine.

Just as I am free to not be one way, they are free to be one way. There is no overall. The only overall for this place is the Rules of Conduct which have a section for this. (The ToS only outlines selecting names. RoC is for communication)

ToS covers Code of Conduct etc. ToS is Terms of Service, and there are several sub paragraphs. Code of Conduct is one, last time i checked.

3 minutes ago, Ord said:

You're just adding to the problem here with your statements.

As i said previously, toxic behaviour should not be accepted anywhere.

Everyone is different and handles/process information verbally or through text differently and you can't expect everyone to be acting the same way you do when faced with such toxic behaviour from other players.

No. Like I said after 11 years in the Army, toxic behavior for the most part is a cry for attention. In an Online Game, even more so. They're using a standard means of speaking to illicit a prescribed result. They're doing it for the attention and laughs, mainly for the attention. Start taking that attention away from them and it will slowly start to sort itself out. Now add to this the worst that can happen is that, that account gets banned from the game. They just make another account and continue. Putting things right back where they started. So complaining about it  only help speed up the banning process.
As for Fixing the problem, well, unfortunately I wasn't blessed with the ability to reach through my computer and slap some sense in to them. So not a lot that I can do there. Until we get this ability here is what NCSoft can do to help. Since we now have a nice report and block feature for bots and spammers, just add in a selection for reporting offensive behavior. Just code it to where when it's used it records what the person has said and reports it. Then say after enough report there is an automatic chat ban for one hour on all chats. After this if they continue, more reports, four hour chat ban on all chats. If it continues after this, 24 hour ban from the game. Then if they come back and continue, permanent ban. But this still leaves it up to the players to report it. 

Since it seems like people keep confusing things because they didn't read what they are preaching about. Here ya go.

RoC http://us.ncsoft.com/en/legal/user-agreements/blade-and-soul-rules-of-conduct.php

1. YOU MAY NOT USE SEXUALLY EXPLICIT, HARMFUL, THREATENING, ABUSIVE, DEFAMATORY, OBSCENE, HATEFUL, RACIALLY OR ETHNICALLY OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE.

ToS http://us.ncsoft.com/en/legal/user-agreements/blade-and-soul-user-agreement.php

1. YOU MAY NOT SELECT AN ACCOUNT ID, ACCOUNT DISPLAY NAME, NCSOFT MESSAGE BOARD ID, CHARACTER ID AND/OR TEAM DESIGNATION, OR PROVIDE ANY COMMUNICATION OR INFORMATION ON ANY MESSAGE BOARD, THAT NCSOFT, IN ITS REASONABLE DISCRETION, DEEMS TO BE VULGAR, THREATENING, RACIST, SEXIST OR OTHERWISE OFFENSIVE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REFERENCES RELATED TO ANY RELIGION OR DEITY;

And always remember, the limitations to what what meets these rules is determined by NCSoft alone. Not you.

1 minute ago, Sorcerer21b said:

here is what NCSoft can do to help. Since we now have a nice report and block feature for bots and spammers, just add in a selection for reporting offensive behavior. Just code it to where when it's used it records what the person has said and reports it. Then say after enough report there is an automatic chat ban for one hour on all chats. After this if they continue, more reports, four hour chat ban on all chats. If it continues after this, 24 hour ban from the game. Then if they come back and continue, permanent ban. But this still leaves it up to the players to report it. 

Which is what I want to see. An easier way in which it can be  reported and subsequently investigated.

2 minutes ago, Sorcerer21b said:

No. Like I said after 11 years in the Army, toxic behavior for the most part is a cry for attention. In an Online Game, even more so. They're using a standard means of speaking to illicit a prescribed result. They're doing it for the attention and laughs, mainly for the attention. Start taking that attention away from them and it will slowly start to sort itself out. Now add to this the worst that can happen is that, that account gets banned from the game. They just make another account and continue. Putting things right back where they started. So complaining about it  only help speed up the banning process.
As for Fixing the problem, well, unfortunately I wasn't blessed with the ability to reach through my computer and slap some sense in to them. So not a lot that I can do there. Until we get this ability here is what NCSoft can do to help. Since we now have a nice report and block feature for bots and spammers, just add in a selection for reporting offensive behavior. Just code it to where when it's used it records what the person has said and reports it. Then say after enough report there is an automatic chat ban for one hour on all chats. After this if they continue, more reports, four hour chat ban on all chats. If it continues after this, 24 hour ban from the game. Then if they come back and continue, permanent ban. But this still leaves it up to the players to report it. 

Of course it should be the players reporting them, and i agree with what you wrote as a solution as well and think it would work well.

What i just don't like is some people in this thread are generally defending the type of behaviour that ignited this thread in the first place by telling everyone to "suck it up". By "sucking it up" we're ignoring the problem and adding to it.

By letting NCSoft know about how we feel about this situation, they can then add something into the game that'll let us, as you said, report them for their behaviour and one that automatically blocks them.

9 minutes ago, Ord said:

There's this thing called ToS and EULA, i suggest reading it. Lots of valuable information in there regarding harassment and code of conduct...

But sure, keep turning a blind eye and ignore the problem which is basically the same as adding to it.

I'm saying it's absolutely impossible to start some sort of revolution of mindset that will make companies take their code of conducts super seriously and get everyone to behave properly. I did not say to not report, I'm only looking down at the idea that you can get GMs or the like to take action on the entire community via monitoring or whatnot.

This is coming from someone whose been up close sometimes to people who've monitored games and bans. They are simply not expected, and thus not paid, to do this, until it makes people quit the game en masse. I'm not saying this is a good or model thing to do, it's just how it is. If you want to fight against it by making a mini player-lead crusade/boycott for common decency or w/e to quicken the process of people on the internet gradually becoming more self-aware, I'm not against that either. All I'm saying is that it's unrealistic but that general shittiness on the internet WILL definitely fade with time as it has been doing, since people grow up. And saying that I do not take action is a bit of an assumption. I more or less do anything in my power to remove these kinds of people from forums or from in-game communities. To clarify: individual action and a common mindset is MUCH MUCH stronger than a GM. Yes, the ToS and such are considered law, but it's a very arbirtary downsized capsule set of rules that take ages to act on and game companies simply don't take the time to deal with it beyond writing "no" down.

also sorry for bad wording, I'm half asleep lmao.

4 minutes ago, Ord said:

ToS covers Code of Conduct etc. ToS is Terms of Service, and there are several sub paragraphs. Code of Conduct is one, last time i checked.

Its not, the only mention of anything like that is redirected to the RoC which is a separate document. Regardless you agree to both by playing.

2 minutes ago, Ord said:

What i just don't like is some people in this thread are generally defending the type of behaviour that ignited this thread in the first place by telling everyone to "suck it up". By "sucking it up" we're ignoring the problem and adding to it.

It's funny how gold sellers and bots are taken more seriously than people who are behave in a socially repugnant manner.

Inaction = tacit approval.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, and I sure as heck am not about to scroll through 9 pages of text to find out.

As a... Less than proud Mushin Cerulean member, I can attest that the amount of grade A garbage that comes out of faction chat is truly mindblowing. However, to deal with that cesspool the easiest thing I can volunteer as a way out for many is to look at your chat bar. Above the scrolling text, on the right side you'll see a + symbol, when you click it, it allows for you to make custom chat tabs and even name them. I ended up making one that's /say, /party, /whisper, /clan. That way it keeps the /region gold sellers out, it keeps the /faction garbage gone, and finally the /partyfinder gold seller spam away as well.

I realize that avoiding the problem isn't nearly as "Up in arms" to solve the problem as some might want, however I've found it to be a very helpful solution to the vitriol that seems to spew out of every new F2P ultra hyped up MMO, so... Either take the suggestion or don't, but if you don't keep it in the back of your head the next time faction spam starts giving you a migraine. 

Archived