Extremely offensive chat.

Doddger

4 hours ago, Hypatios said:

With it being the BR server I have no doubt there are racist shits running around. That is unfortunate :(

I haven't seen any Portuguese in 3 days now.

Also, yea the racial slurs suck (I'm not for it either) but you can always just block the people, turn off some of the chats and enable profanity filtering.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Taimatsu said:

It's funny seeing people justify why it's alright for people to use abusive words to put down others.

I think this is purposefully misrepresenting what a lot of people in this thread have been saying. I haven't seen anyone defending the moral appropriateness of people directing abuse in the form of slurs/hate speech/etc. at others. I don't want to use your phrasing because "abusive words to put down others" could be construed a lot more broadly and could include pvp trash talking i.e. "git gud lulz," which while obnoxious, I wouldn't put into the abusive category. What I have been seeing is that people suggest that people should police the chat themselves by using the block feature + personal judgment/responsibility. 

1 minute ago, Wylphen said:

Actually people encouraging suicide and making life threats are punishable by law and should be referred to the authorities.

These laws are highly dependent on jurisdiction, difficult to enforce, and usually there has to be a credible threat for law enforcement to act. Further, absent personal knowledge of a person, its very difficult to prove that the person actually intended to force the other person to commit suicide. 

Just now, MelawenM said:

I think this is purposefully misrepresenting what a lot of people in this thread have been saying. I haven't seen anyone defending the moral appropriateness of people directing abuse in the form of slurs/hate speech/etc. at others. I don't want to use your phrasing because "abusive words to put down others" could be construed a lot more broadly and could include pvp trash talking i.e. "git gud lulz," which while obnoxious, I wouldn't put into the abusive category. What I have been seeing is that people suggest that people should police the chat themselves by using the block feature + personal judgment/responsibility. 

These laws are highly dependent on jurisdiction, difficult to enforce, and usually there has to be a credible threat for law enforcement to act. Further, absent personal knowledge of a person, its very difficult to prove that the person actually intended to force the other person to commit suicide. 

They are simply refered to the authorities of the country they are registered in. They are not difficult at all the enforce as the evidence is quite clear. Making those kinds of threats (encouraging self harm, inciting racial hatred, murder etc.) are taken extremely seriously, especially in the UK where they actually arrest people, fine them, or give them a few hundred hours of community service.

11 minutes ago, Mikhail said:

At least it's something legit to complain about instead of 'wa wa qtimes this games going to die' doomsayers.

Sitting on here blocking every single troll is a chore and you with my faction, you end up blocking more than playing.

When you can have a Mod to make this game have a better environment.

Not sure why anyones opposed to things to make a healthy community...Like the *cricket* though?

That would be your decision to sit and block "every single troll". Don't think you're reading my posts since I've already said you can easily close the faction chat if it's bothering you to that degree.

And why have a mod? They are literally giving you every tool to get away from the trolls and spammers yet, you again, rather been spoon fed a solution when you have one right in your face. Adding a mod would be causing more work and most likely more drama because then that one person(or people) will get bashed for doing their job and other things that may follow.

Again, either block the persons, ignore the chat or deal with it. The trolls will go away once they do not have the attention they are seeking.

It's seriously not that hard.

1 minute ago, Zuzu said:

That would be your decision to sit and block "every single troll". Don't think you're reading my posts since I've already said you can easily close the faction chat if it's bothering you to that degree.

And why have a mod? They are literally giving you every tool to get away from the trolls and spammers yet, you again, rather been spoon fed a solution when you have one right in your face. Adding a mod would be causing more work and most likely more drama because then that one person(or people) will get bashed for doing their job and other things that may follow.

Again, either block the persons, ignore the chat or deal with it. The trolls will go away once they do not have the attention they are seeking.

It's seriously not that hard.

are....

GROW THE DESU UP

4 minutes ago, Himeiris said:

are....

GROW THE DESU UP

> People who are spurring racial slurs. - Says nothing much against them.

> People who offended, and/or think others are being wayyyyy too extreme with the context and okay with racial slurs and other - Should grow up.

???

Wat.

@Zuzu They still should be punished by that extremities of it all. Having a mod to put their foot on the ground will ease up the chat.

Instead of you know...cutting loose a whole chat that can prove benefical at times. This is my last reply for this topic though lol.

8 minutes ago, Wylphen said:

They are simply refered to the authorities of the country they are registered in. They are not difficult at all the enforce as the evidence is quite clear. Making those kinds of threats (encouraging self harm, inciting racial hatred, murder etc.) are taken extremely seriously, especially in the UK where they actually arrest people, fine them, or give them a few hundred hours of community service.

The problem is that, some places like the UK tend to have very comprehensive laws for cyber-harrasment, others do not. The United States has a spotty collection of state harassment laws that some states have updated to include cyberbullying. However, as elements to a crime, they are very difficult to prove in an online-forum/mmo setting because its difficult to prove the intent elements. Inciting racial hatred is protected speech under the first amendment, I mean just look at Donald Trump. Physical threats of violence are usually not acted on unless shown to be actionable by threat analysis. The main issue with MMOs (and this applies to the UK as well) is that the criminal statutes usually require more than an isolated incident, but rather a course of conduct, usually targeted at an individual. Even incitement of racial hatred charges (UK) require a mens rea element that can be difficult to prove given the circumstances, that is the crime is more than just using racial slurs. 

There is also the matter of the expense of a system for NCSoft that not only requires internal employees enforcing ToU/Chat standards by issuing bans/etc, but now they also have to keep complete databases and forward them to law enforcement. No thanks. I'll pass on mandatory reporting statutes for this. 

Source - Is lawyer

3 minutes ago, Doddger said:

Ok this topic turned into faction chat, lets just stop this nonsense. Mods can lock this thread.

People disagreeing with you and suggesting that the tools are already available to deal with the problem you brought up is equivalent to a thread filled with racial slurs, telling people to kill themselves, etc. For a forum, I thought this thread remained remarkably on topic and discussed the issues fairly reasonably despite some people suggesting maturity issues on both sides. 

Then again, its whatever. Gotta suppress the dissent I suppose. 

Are you people internet virgins or something alike? Everything that you've been describing has been around pretty much since the internet itself, and is VERY common in MMO's. I'm not saying that it's justified or that it's right, but if you want to spend time on the internet you need to develop a thick skin and filter stuff out, else you'll get dragged in into the cesspool of idiotism. 

Something bothering you? Block it, ignore it, move on. If this is bothering you to the degree that you would write about it on a forum, i shudder to think how you'll handle life when you grow up.

Hello.. sorry for interrupting.. just want to ask about the NC launcher.. i had a problem to log in even after the verification process.. its just stuck at the 100% mark.. and then nothing happened.. i cannot log in into the BNS.. can someone help please.. thank you in advance..

On 1/22/2016 at 8:10 AM, Himeiris said:

it the internet it got less laws then america

i'm not jokeing when i say if you cant handle this chat 

phone your ISP can get and tell them you want to stop using the internet 

Again, this isnt America. The customers of this game are requesting that an issue be dealt with

If youre up for open racism you can deal with that. We dont need a toxic community growing early on that will carry through the games life

Hopefully they die off but until then they shouldnt be allowed to cause trouble or grief openly

On 1/22/2016 at 8:15 AM, MelawenM said:

I'm fully aware that the first amendment protects only from government, not private interference in speech, nonetheless, absent any  regulation of chat channels by NCSoft or anything in the Terms of Use, people are free to use them as they see fit, which, given the anonymity provided by the internet, certainly tend to degrade humanity by proxy. 

There are limits to the first amendment, hate speech not being among them. Regardless, my response was to your hypothetically posited situation where people walk around carrying signs. Irregardless, the first amendment, as noted, only protects against governement interference and has little bearing on the question of an internet forum. My criticism was more to your analogy than your overall point. 

I still tend to think that as long as systems are in place to protect people from abuse (blocking), its incumbent on the player, not the company, to make decisions about what they want to see and not. The problem being that, NCSoft certainly can't respond or act in every situtation where someone is offended, because people have different sensibilities, the rest is just drawing a line between where the responsibility for non-offensiveness in chat channels falls on ncsoft v. the player.   

Blocking doesnt solve the problem though

It will always be there if its allowed

2 minutes ago, Yancha said:

Again, this isnt America. The customers of this game are requesting that an issue be dealt with

If youre up for open racism you can deal with that. We dont need a toxic community growing early on that will carry through the games life

Hopefully they die off but until then they shouldnt be allowed to cause trouble or grief openly

Blocking doesnt solve the problem though

It will always be there if its allowed

yes you are right 

this is not  America

THIS IS THE  internet

6 minutes ago, MEGADETH said:

Hello.. sorry for interrupting.. just want to ask about the NC launcher.. i had a problem to log in even after the verification process.. its just stuck at the 100% mark.. and then nothing happened.. i cannot log in into the BNS.. can someone help please.. thank you in advance..

Legit last post here since this guy needs help.

You may wanna google search solutions and/or ask support for some help...Or make your own topic and ask in the forums.

You won't get any help especially here in this cesspool of a topic.

Run...RUN AWAY.

On 1/22/2016 at 8:50 AM, Himeiris said:

yes you are right 

this is not  America

THIS IS THE  internet

Exactly

Theres a service being provided and a reasonable if nothing else request being made

At the very least there should be an option to report excessively offensive language but there isnt even that

On 1/22/2016 at 9:00 AM, Rekkusu said:

Learn to ignore chat

Doesn't matter if there are pedos, racism in chat.

This is a game. 

If chat is offending you that much then go uninstall. 

What if its on the forums

Do we ignore it still?

10 minutes ago, Yancha said:

What if its on the forums

Do we ignore it still?

What if it is on  face book are YouTube

Reddit

are some outer MMO

if you can take a chat from a game

call your isp  and get rid of your internet

and of the love of god stay off the dark web

2 hours ago, Yancha said:

I guess its ok to walk around with signs saying kill all fags and niggers and yell anything you want because the adult thing to do is ignore racism and ignorance as it spreads

The adult thing to do is to not go out of your way to pick fights with people just for being who they are

Sooooo we can say the N word on the forums but not *cricket*? What the *cricket* kind of logic is that? *cricket* NCSoft.

It's the internet. There is no safe space or whatever here (unless you use tumblr). If you feel "triggered" (kek) or hurt from words spewed out of random strangers in a video game, just turn off your computer and come back when you have thicker skin.

Archived