Extremely offensive chat.

Doddger

12 minutes ago, Zuzu said:

Welcome to the internet.

Just block the persons or not look at faction chat.

You're going to see a lot of profanity and such right now since there's nothing to "stop" them or discourage them.

Don't let the chat stop you from playing.

Sadly for right now block features for me are being used for those damn gold bots. So ignoring things is the only option, and it's fine for me /shrugs

Doesn't make it all go away but.....look at least there aren't 1000 threads on the forum about this topic, like all the queue qq

Dumb kids trying to troll aren't going to stop us from playing a game. They're just baiting honestly, and people bite, and they watch the chaos ensue. (I mean no one can be that stupid right?....right!?)

If you ignore the trolls they'll die off

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/22/2016 at 7:52 AM, Telethia said:

Sadly for right now block features for me are being used for those damn gold bots. So ignoring things is the only option, and it's fine for me /shrugs

Doesn't make it all go away but.....look at least there aren't 1000 threads on the forum about this topic, like all the queue qq

Dumb kids trying to troll aren't going to stop us from playing a game. They're just baiting honestly, and people bite, and they watch the chaos ensue. (I mean no one can be that stupid right?....right!?)

If you ignore the trolls they'll die off

Very true but that doesnt mean they shouldnt be punished for it either

Im not saying every trolling attempt needs to be hammered but when people are shouting things like this in open chats constantly theres an issue big enough that something should be done

9 minutes ago, Zuzu said:

People just feel like complaining about anything and everything and want to be spoon fed when there's a "problem" at hand.

Easy solutions yet they rather feed the trolls or people causing the problem in faction chat then they want to complain about them later.

The logic of people nowadays, gotta love it.

Chats like this can/has and will make people leave this game. Blocking 24/7 with us blocking Gold Sellers is annoying.

It's really, really bad. Again, I've only been playing XIV, TERAand a bit of Maple here and there for the past 2-3 years.

I don't think TERA was this cancerous and I was in Celestial Hills.

On 1/22/2016 at 7:58 AM, Himeiris said:

it kind of sad 

this is meant to be a 18 + game right?

why can no one handle the  chat

The world is 18+

That doesnt mean you can say and do anything you like without consequences

32 minutes ago, Yancha said:

I guess its ok to walk around with signs saying kill all fags and niggers and yell anything you want because the adult thing to do is ignore racism and ignorance as it spreads

Well... yea, at least in the US we have this thing called the first amendment which means you can go around with signs expressing hateful and racist ideas and the government can't stop you. And yes, if you're by yourself at least, the adult thing to do is ignore those people and let them be relegated to the ideological fringe where they belong. 

If the block feature is sufficient to enable people to avoid abuse, then I don't think we need much more than that. People will always do what they can regardless of what is socially acceptable and the anonymity of the internet enables people even more. Trying to stop people from being racist/ignorant on the internet is like trying to stop a tsunami with your hands. 

5 minutes ago, Yancha said:

Im not saying every trolling attempt needs to be hammered but when people are shouting things like this in open chats constantly theres an issue big enough that something should be done

Yeah, but currently, there's nothing set up. Eventually I'm sure they will, even Tera has GM's monitoring the global chat and keeping things under control. For now, NCsoft's biggest concern are the gold bots, and just getting their game running smoothly. These are more essential to the game's success, but I'm sure they'll look into the rest later. Hopefully

6 minutes ago, Yancha said:

Which I agree with you but you can only start reporting past level 15 so only option for now is to ignore if you aren't level 15 yet.

3 minutes ago, Mikhail said:

Chats like this can/has and will make people leave this game. Blocking 24/7 with us blocking Gold Sellers is annoying.

It's really, really bad. Again, I've only been playing XIV, TERAand a bit of Maple here and there for the past 2-3 years.

I don't think TERA was this cancerous and I was in Celestial Hills.

Then people don't know how to easily ignore a chat.

If they can't just focus on doing their quests without reading chat then that's their problem.

They have the option to even shut off faction chat to make it easier for them to ignore it.

Thanks for bringing this up because this toxic community has been on my mind lately. It's a shame trying to find someone to play with but about 90% of your faction consists of bigots. They really need someone to monitor chat, you can pay anyone even me to do that.

13 minutes ago, JayP said:

The game is 18+ with a block feature, why are we asking NCSoft to waste money paying GM's to work around the clock monitoring dozens of chat channels?  Faction Chat is global therefore it will be spammed until you block enough to get through the noise, that's just the way it is.  Grow up people and either block or leave the faction channel, this is a solution looking for a problem.  After you leave the first zone after 20 minutes in the game, the spam stops except for faction chat (which isn't useful ever anyway).  You act like this is the first game where you've seen this, I've played 8-10 MMO's and they're all like this all with the same solution (block, ignore, leave channel) that are all less calories burnt than complaining on the forum.

Wow, I didn't know a game being 18+ meant it's OK to be racist and sexist to everyone in said game. I guess because I'm 18+ it's OK for me to go around saying every slur in the book. And you can only block so many people and the entire faction doesn't seem to be an option. Other MMOs being the same way just means that this is an even bigger problem. You seem to think something being the norm means it should be tolerated and ignored but that's not the case. Bigotry being the norm is all the more reason to speak about it. I would like to have the option of being able to get along with my faction but instead is either put up with this nonsense or leave the chat all together.

I think it's funny how you say it's not the people spewing slurs and being extremely toxic who need to grow up but it's the people who are rightfully offended who need to. Says a lot. 

2 minutes ago, MelawenM said:

Well... yea, at least in the US we have this thing called the first amendment which means you can go around with signs expressing hateful and racist ideas and the government can't stop you. And yes, if you're by yourself at least, the adult thing to do is ignore those people and let them be relegated to the ideological fringe where they belong. 

If the block feature is sufficient to enable people to avoid abuse, then I don't think we need much more than that. People will always do what they can regardless of what is socially acceptable and the anonymity of the internet enables people even more. Trying to stop people from being racist/ignorant on the internet is like trying to stop a tsunami with your hands. 

It doesn't stop someone from being punished on private grounds. NCsoft are considered private grounds, and they can legally take action to prevent people from being idiots with what they say. The 1st amendment keeps the government from jailing us for speaking against the government. It's why people in companies can get backlash and fired for saying stupid shit, because it doesn't protect them from being punished. Or being ridiculed for being 12 year old kids :P

But yeah for now ignoring is the best option, feeding them doesn't fix the problem because I have to convince myself that 60% of them don;t actually believe what they say, they're just being trolls :Y

On 1/22/2016 at 8:02 AM, MelawenM said:

There are limits to the first amendment

And this isnt America

4 minutes ago, Zuzu said:

Which I agree with you but you can only start reporting past level 15 so only option for now is to ignore if you aren't level 15 yet.

Then people don't know how to easily ignore a chat.

If they can't just focus on doing their quests without reading chat then that's their problem.

They have the option to even shut off faction chat to make it easier for them to ignore it.

So let's not have a community at all and just talk openly and instead let bigots and pedophiles run free?

Alright then. I mean you can't even find people to play with and stuff and you'd think Faction would be the perfect place

to start but everyone is ridiculous with their Twitter, Twitch Kappa bullshit. This is essentially a solo MMO.

I can't be bothered anymore so I'm glad they have a Duty Finder in this game. It's gross.

We can ignore it, sure but I think we need Mods if it's getting to the point of 'crossing the line'

here. Though if I happen to see someone be extreme, I'm going to send a ticket myself.

[I kept faction on incase people act mature or running stuff.]

Yes, some of it is Toxic however, I find it is the same few people. I learned just to ignore it because either a) they're just trolling OR b) What they're saying is just their opinion (which is what ever.) NOW If there is something that is SO bad, just make a ticket with screenshots and details of what said person was saying, And let NCsoft deal with it. However,  it is a rated M for mature game, and like 90% of all games if not 100% now have  had toxic players  recently. Just block of the chat you're seeing it and block people and if you REALLY feel compelled to, report through a ticket or move servers.

Just now, Yancha said:

And this isnt America

it the internet it got less laws then america

i'm not jokeing when i say if you cant handle this chat 

phone your ISP can get and tell them you want to stop using the internet 

Just now, Telethia said:

It doesn't stop someone from being punished on private grounds. NCsoft are considered private grounds, and they can legally take action to prevent people from being idiots with what they say. The 1st amendment keeps the government from jailing us for speaking against the government. It's why people in companies can get backlash and fired for saying stupid shit, because it doesn't protect them from being punished. Or being ridiculed for being 12 year old kids :P

But yeah for now ignoring is the best option, feeding them doesn't fix the problem because I have to convince myself that 60% of them don;t actually believe what they say, they're just being trolls :Y

I'm fully aware that the first amendment protects only from government, not private interference in speech, nonetheless, absent any  regulation of chat channels by NCSoft or anything in the Terms of Use, people are free to use them as they see fit, which, given the anonymity provided by the internet, certainly tend to degrade humanity by proxy. 

2 minutes ago, Yancha said:

And this isnt America

There are limits to the first amendment, hate speech not being among them. Regardless, my response was to your hypothetically posited situation where people walk around carrying signs. Irregardless, the first amendment, as noted, only protects against governement interference and has little bearing on the question of an internet forum. My criticism was more to your analogy than your overall point. 

I still tend to think that as long as systems are in place to protect people from abuse (blocking), its incumbent on the player, not the company, to make decisions about what they want to see and not. The problem being that, NCSoft certainly can't respond or act in every situtation where someone is offended, because people have different sensibilities, the rest is just drawing a line between where the responsibility for non-offensiveness in chat channels falls on ncsoft v. the player.   

1 minute ago, Mikhail said:

So let's not have a community at all and just talk openly and instead let bigots and pedophiles run free?

Alright then. I mean you can't even find people to play with and stuff and you'd think Faction would be the perfect place

to start but everyone is ridiculous with their Twitter, Twitch Kappa bullshit. This is essentially a solo MMO.

I can't be bothered anymore so I'm glad they have a Duty Finder in this game.

Hence why I said past level 15 you can start reporting if you felt like it.

Or you can easily block them. I doubt it's 90% of the community doing this, it's most likely a small amount of people who start up the flame and watch everything burn.

If you can't bring yourself to block the persons that are causing this problem then you're going to suffer.

Honestly, you're asking to be spoon fed a solution when there's already solutions but because everyone don't feel like doing that one solution then they rather sit and complain.

As soon as the flood gates were lifted (Launch day) I moved faction chat to another window.  CBT was a good indication that faction chat was going to be toxic.  

The only chat that matters are clan, party and system.  You don't need to read faction chat, nothing but garbage there, seriously, pure and utter garbage.  Save yourself the toxicity and turn it off on main chat tab. Also, turned off and moved the chat populated with gold spammers.  My chat is clean and non-toxic.

1 minute ago, Hazgaz said:

As soon as the flood gates were lifted (Launch day) I moved faction chat to another window.  CBT was a good indication that faction chat was going to be toxic.  

The only chat that matters are clan, party and system.  You don't need to read faction chat, nothing but garbage there, seriously, pure and utter garbage.  Save yourself the toxicity and turn it off on main chat tab. Also, turned off and moved the chat populated with gold spammers.  My chat is clean and non-toxic.

yes and your chat is empty and dead

Just now, Zuzu said:

Hence why I said past level 15 you can start reporting if you felt like it.

Or you can easily block them. I doubt it's 90% of the community doing this, it's most likely a small amount of people who start up the flame and watch everything burn.

If you can't bring yourself to block the persons that are causing this problem then you're going to suffer.

Honestly, you're asking to be spoon fed a solution when there's already solutions but because everyone don't feel like doing that one solution then they rather sit and complain.

At least it's something legit to complain about instead of 'wa wa qtimes this games going to die' doomsayers.

Sitting on here blocking every single troll is a chore and you with my faction, you end up blocking more than playing.

When you can have a Mod to make this game have a better environment.

Not sure why anyones opposed to things to make a healthy community...Like the *cricket* though?

4 hours ago, Ellz said:

You have the block feature for this. 

The games 18+ for a reason. If you get offended that's your problem. Unless someones directly attacking you with no way for you to block it, then you should consider seeking help from adults. 

Otherwise, BE the adult and block it. 

Save the reports for gold sellers, otherwise you do even more damage in reporting people who use words that make you angry by taking the staff's focus away from REAL threats. 

You Hypocritical-politically correct people are the same that complain about censorship in this game and then scream on the forums to censor others when something you don't like appears in your face. 

Actually people encouraging suicide and making life threats are punishable by law and should be referred to the authorities. Tolerance of this behaviour by children makes them think it is acceptable and that they can get away with it. They won't.

People shouldn't have to put up with this as they are there to play a game and have fun, not get verbally abused by little creeps who think they are safe because they are in their rooms in front of a computer screen.

From what ive seen/heard u can only block them sadly enough but still if they have an offensive name just block em ignore em and move on :)

Also ive heard faction chat is prt weird/bad messed up so im not gonna even bother turning it on as i have no need to

Archived